Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Magnets
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
some day we're gonna have to figure out a way to clean up all this shit if we wanna continue with space flight.  i can't even imagine how.
Magnets
Obviously you clean up orbital debris with a vacuum cleaner.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I do not believe that is correct...at least not in geosynchronous orbit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Given all the junk in orbit, I'm sure this happens all the time.
I do not believe that is correct...at least not in geosynchronous orbit.
Most of the junk is in much lower orbits. Most.

But shit happens. Golden BB kind of thing.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#5]
The wind resistance my be incredible with how fast those things are moving up there. I am surprised they don't shake apart more often.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looked like it started pulsing after those three objects passed by.

Wonder if it was bumped.
View Quote
It was pulsating (rotating) from the beginning of the video.  I have observed plenty of rotating satellites including a geosynchronous altitude.

I am assuming that AMC 9 was three axis stabilized so there should not be pulsating brightness like that.  You can get flaring off the solar arrays at certain times of the year .
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting.

I wonder what it hit ?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I can never tell is stuff like this is sincere, or parody.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you live in a home with a basement you may want to sleep there for a few days while this situation unfolds.  Hard to tell where the debris will fall.  Make sure your premier is secure as well.
I can never tell is stuff like this is sincere, or parody.
wait wat?

So can I leave the basement or not?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#9]
when that asteroid passes between earth and the geostationary orbit, the potential for a lot of sat orbit disruption exists
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you live in a home with a basement you may want to sleep there for a few days while this situation unfolds.  Hard to tell where the debris will fall.  Make sure your premier is secure as well.
What, he likes a secure premier.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#11]
It was taken over by Skynet. It didn't break apart, it dropped a warhead.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
not all the junk up there stays geosynchronous.
View Quote
Technically true... but not as comforting as you seem to think.

At the 22,000 ish miles up... objects do not deorbit quickly... or even in a human life time... or many human life times.  They will be up their for effectively forever. ... drifting around and no longer staying geosynchronous and bumping into and destroying other billion dollar worth satellites that share that orbit.

Satellites have come apart before... a few in this orbit... but most were lower so their debris could deorbit faster. 

The debris cloud from this satellite break up is a major concern. 
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
was there such an event recently?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
when that asteroid passes between earth and the geostationary orbit, the potential for a lot of sat orbit disruption exists
was there such an event recently?
I am doubtful that has happened.  Inside the lunar orbit is a newsworthy event.  If it has, it is not common.

I have a vague recollection of one possible event in recent years bu would have to research to see if it happened.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#16]
that's obviously a man on the wing.  EVA to put a sticker on it....  nothing to see here.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I am doubtful that has happened.  Inside the lunar orbit is a newsworthy event.  If it has, it is not common.

I have a vague recollection of one possible event in recent years bu would have to research to see if it happened.
View Quote
An asteroid passes between us and the Moon nearly monthly. 

There was a rather close one a few months back... I'd have to look it up to see if it was under Geo sync orbit or not.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#18]
the most recent close flyby

.43 Lunar distance from Earth's surface is 102,727 miles.

To be under geosync it would have to be less than .09 LD. from the surface.

more close flybys in recent...
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#19]
this one was well under geosync

7,167 miles from Earth's surface.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Now would a rocky asteroid 3-17m in diameter have enough gravitational pull to screw up such a satellite beyond what it's station keeping thrusters could handle?  I wouldn't think such small rocks would be a problem.
View Quote
No.  The gravity from such rocks is negligible.  

However... the Earth and the area of space around it constantly has smaller rocks... too small to be tracked... passing through and hitting things.  The ISS has been hit a lot.  Fortunately not by anything large or fast enough to cause significant damage  Tons of material fall to Earth every year.

There is a change this Satellite could have been struck by something.  Or it's Lithium Ion batteries could have just exploded without any collision occurring... Several satellite breakups have occurred due to Lithium Ion batteries blowing up.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:31:18 AM EDT
[#22]
SES has been very tightlipped about it to their customers. Early on it was sounding like a station keeping clusterfuck. They claim that they always planned to de-com AMC-9 this year and this "significant anomaly" merely forced them to move up their timeline. Now keep in mind that government entities leasing entire transponders had never been briefed about any such impending decommissioning.

They moved AMC-6 into its slot (83W) from somewhere in the 50s. That is a HUGE and costly move that likely expended years worth of fuel. SES needs to start being honest with NASA, SPAWAR, LAFB, ARSTRAT, S&TCD and who knows how many other .gov organizations left in the lurch for the better part of a week
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:20:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
some day we're gonna have to figure out a way to clean up all this shit if we wanna continue with space flight.  i can't even imagine how.
Magnets
Nice.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Watching it the flashes more reminded me of a rotating vessel in orbit.  I'm wondering if it's lost attitude control.
View Quote
It w blown apart by one of the 4 objects moving by it.
Whats left is 2 large parts and a lot of smal debris.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top