BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Even though I've never had an interest in one, should I be buying a Lee-Enfield right now as the prices will probably double after this movie comes out, similar to the price of WWII era M1 helmets after Saving Private Ryan hit the theaters. What model SMLE would be the correct one for that era, anyone know?
View Quote
That specific time? No.1 MkIII*s.

But if you want something with a rear peep for better sights than the forward notched variety of the No.1 MkIIIs, get a No.4 Mk1, or No.4 Mk1*.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Gonna drive 4.5 hours back home just to take my dad to watch it.

He just got done teaching an old people education class on the Battle of Britain and hes obsessed with British WW2 aviation so I know hes especially looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:08:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks OP.  I have not been to a theater in years.  I believe I will now be there in a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#4]
My first thought is what in the bloody hell happened to the Brits? They were such a feisty bunch, now feminism and muliculturalism has brought them to their knees. The worst part is they seem to love it and cheer on their own demise.

Movie looks good!
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I will, barely remember the black and white film. Trailer looks good but they are showing too damn much.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think you're forgetting the entire North Africa campaign somewhere in there.
View Quote
Also Dieppe.

Also the Sicilian and Italian Campaigns....
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That specific time? No.1 MkIII*s.

But if you want something with a rear peep for better sights than the forward notched variety of the No.1 MkIIIs, get a No.4 Mk1, or No.4 Mk1*.
View Quote
SMLE Mk. III/III* or Pattern '14. Both were heavily used.

I'll see it in the theater as well. My wife and son are in on it too.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Number 4 Mark 1

There might have been a few Number 1 Mark 3s but most of those would have been wire wrapped and used as dedicated rifle grenade launchers af that point.
View Quote
No. 4 Mk I were not introduced until 1941.

No. 1 Mk III* is what he seeks.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Going with friends to see it after the initial debut, so it's cheaper
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Number 4 Mark 1

There might have been a few Number 1 Mark 3s but most of those would have been wire wrapped and used as dedicated rifle grenade launchers af that point.
View Quote
No. No. 4s weren't even in full production by Dunkirk, despite being adopted in 1939. Full wartime production didn't start until 1941 and most units got them on the ramp up to Operation Husky in '43.

ETA: The Mk. IIIs remained in service until the end of the war in any case.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think my biggest is a 55."  It's Big enough when you're only about 10' back. :/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hahaha, it doesn't measure up to a 65" or 75", but for our house it works. Our living room isn't very big.
I think my biggest is a 55."  It's Big enough when you're only about 10' back. :/
I just got a LG 55 4K..SHUD..myself, I love it but the fukin Soap Opera effect is killing it, esp in 4k streaming like NetFlix..i made a thread about it but I still can't fix it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes. Definitely one for the big screen & home theater followup.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been looking forward to seeing it since the previews last winter.  Very encouraged by not noticing any women among the cast. Presumably, this means we'll be spared the usual pointless and excruciating romantic subplot.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Can't wait to watch it as soon as it hits blu-ray.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've been looking forward to seeing it since the previews last winter.  Very encouraged by not noticing any women among the cast. Presumably, this means we'll be spared the usual pointless and excruciating romantic subplot.
View Quote
you are a very cool lady, and an asset to the ARFCOM team.

Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I will be seeing it.

X 1000 internets if you wear one of these into the movie.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/139619/bb9000w--5-244476.jpg
View Quote
What do I get (other than arrested and served a no-trespass order) if I carry my .455 Webley and the Enfield No1 MkIII* as well? I can affix its bayonet, if it helps!
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd like to see in on a big screen.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you, you're very kind.  Understand though: I wouldn't have thought much of having the shootout scene from Heat plunked down in the middle of When Harry Met Sally, either.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Nah, not really interested in it. I know what happens.

Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:45:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Finally a WW2 movie where the planes don't maneuver like RC Drones?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:47:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Looks great but IMO it should have been rated R.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:54:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Looks great but IMO it should have been rated R.
View Quote
How come?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:59:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How come?
View Quote
It's meant to be a realistic brutal war movie, isn't it?  That shouldn't be PG-13.  The greatest war movies are rated R.  Saving Private Ryan, We Were Soldiers, Black Hawk Down, etc.  They attempt to realistically depict brutal times involving dire situations and tough military men.  Censoring it to fit PG-13 is just lame.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:00:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Will watch.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's meant to be a realistic brutal war movie, isn't it?  That shouldn't be PG-13.  The greatest war movies are rated R.  Saving Private Ryan, We Were Soldiers, Black Hawk Down, etc.  They attempt to realistically depict brutal times involving dire situations and tough military men.  Censoring it to fit PG-13 is just lame.
View Quote
I'd give it a chance. Can still be great.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:33:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm not sure Dunkirk is a British success as much as it is a German failure.

I liken it to Apollo 13. Just when everyone thought they were doomed, they pulled off a mini miracle. Although, they didn't save themselves like our Apollo 13 guys did (with help.)

I'll watch it. Looks good.
View Quote
It was a definitive moment in history. Success for one or failure for the other can't really define it like a true battle. I will be seeing this. I'm hoping it is worthy of the war movies of the past and true to the real life events.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:38:01 AM EDT
[#27]
I will see it for sure....
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:57:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I definitely want to!
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Very likely.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
  PG-13 gets it on about twice as many screens. The only brutality that an R rating could show would be IME gratuitous.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:57:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My first thought is what in the bloody hell happened to the Brits? They were such a feisty bunch, now feminism and muliculturalism has brought them to their knees. The worst part is they seem to love it and cheer on their own demise.

Movie looks good!
View Quote
I want to see it on the big screen.

Two massive wars and mass immigration from the UK to the US and Canada; those there now are the descendants of the ones who stayed behind and the ones that moved in since then.  There are plenty of brave soldiers there of course:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3927954/british-soldier-drowns-isis-puddle-sbs-troops-mosul-iraq/
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:58:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
  PG-13 gets it on about twice as many screens. The only brutality that an R rating could show would be IME gratuitous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PG-13 also opens it up to the 13-16 year old kids who can go without parent's permission.  That age range's disposable income is legendary.

PG-13 also can make some parents say, "Oh, it must be OK, I'll take my 11-12yo kids to see it" as opposed to an R rating which turns a lot of parents off.

It's all about the $$$, ultimately...
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Been looking forward to it since the first trailer.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Can't wait for this one.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nolan's first two professional movies, Memento and Insomnia, are the only two R-rated movies he has ever written or directed.  Every other movie he has done has been PG-13.  In addition to the expected box office benefit, PG-13 seems to be where his comfort zone is.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I will be seeing this opening weekend. I am hoping they show the french defense as well.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:38:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

PG-13 also opens it up to the 13-16 year old kids who can go without parent's permission.  That age range's disposable income is legendary.

PG-13 also can make some parents say, "Oh, it must be OK, I'll take my 11-12yo kids to see it" as opposed to an R rating which turns a lot of parents off.

It's all about the $$, ultimately...
View Quote
I'm sure this movie is at the top of every teen's must see list. 
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm hoping to
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Even though I've never had an interest in one, should I be buying a Lee-Enfield right now as the prices will probably double after this movie comes out, similar to the price of WWII era M1 helmets after Saving Private Ryan hit the theaters. What model SMLE would be the correct one for that era, anyone know?
View Quote

I don't want to violate any COC but I have one semi BREN MkI ready to ship.....IM me if you are interested.  I would rather a fellow Arf member get the deal.

Many Dunkirk BREN guns supposedly ended up @ interordnance (I/O) back in the day.....Or so the brothers said.     It made sense as all gas cylinders in the kits were way early style.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#40]
This 'Little Ship' goes right past my house several times a day running tours......

http://www.adls.org.uk/t1/node/602

Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Going to try to see it opening night in IMAX... at the very least, opening weekend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1VJ39nVIBk
Dunkirk Official Soundtrack | Supermarine - Hans Zimmer | WaterTower
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:51:53 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm planning on being in NoVA on that weekend, and Baltimore is just an hour away... IMAX 70mm is a distinct possibility!

Dunkirk IMAX® Behind the Frame
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:07:23 AM EDT
[#43]
This guy and his wife!
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:18:21 AM EDT
[#44]
I will be.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:26:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Possibly the second biggest mistake Hitler made.

Thank God he was a mad fool.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:28:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'll def watch it, idk about in theaters...

The pull out from Europe. Wouldn't be back for... years?

And only when Russia turned Germany around and would capture all of Europe if European militaries didn't strart actually fighting?

D-Day was mostly to deny the Russians from getting Europe while they were gone? lol
View Quote
D-Day was a demand by Stalin. He was running out of meat to throw into the machine and he desperately needed a second front. 
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:29:34 AM EDT
[#47]
The wife and I are looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:32:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Possibly the second biggest mistake Hitler made.

Thank God he was a mad fool.
View Quote
Truth spoken here^

And yes, I will be seeing it in the theater.
Which is a very rare exception
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:34:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Count on me.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:40:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Definitely going to see it in 70mm at an Omnimax dome.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top