Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 15
Posted: 6/28/2017 11:55:26 PM EDT
A fast action hunting rifle sounds dumb. What else did this guy revolutionize? Seems like that Clap guy who sells metal guns with the police chalk outline already made on the grips.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:56:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Be right back with popcorn!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#2]
The Bren Ten comes to mind..

Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:59:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:00:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Single stack full size handguns.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:01:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Bren Ten comes to mind..

View Quote
Was that the gun that was only cool in a TV show?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think Sonny Crockett had the only Bren Ten magazine in existence 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes. The production company kept a person just to collect the bren10 mags after a scene cause they were rare and stuff.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:05:09 AM EDT
[#8]
On the bright side OP, you and the COL are both currently putting out the same number of new, insightful ideas.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:08:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
On the bright side OP, you and the COL are both currently putting out the same number of new, insightful ideas.
View Quote
Glocks make great fighting handguns. Where do we both stand now?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:08:56 AM EDT
[#10]
He was the Chris Costa of his time.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:11:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Seems legit
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:14:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:16:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:16:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
...and I was going to just eat popcorn and watch, until this post.

You will burn in hell for this one!!!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:19:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Didn't he take a single action revolver into combat when he could have had a 1911?

Firearms genius I tell you!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:21:23 AM EDT
[#16]
This is some legit scouting. Sneaky as fuck
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:21:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your statement would put Cooper up one. Yours was neither new, nor insightful. And he's dead.  You lost to a dead guy.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:24:07 AM EDT
[#18]
You made my SOCOM sad. End the .458 hate.*

*I've been drinking. Muchy
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:24:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Chuck Taylor
Robbie Barrkman
Louis Awerbuck
Clint Smith
Giles Stock
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:25:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Didn't he take a single action revolver into combat when he could have had a 1911?

Firearms genius I tell you!
View Quote
Only on his first landing to direct naval gunfire from his ship.  He carried his personal 1911A1 after that.  I think it was a prize from his Army ROTC unit for winning a rifle marksmanship competition.  He had Bob Chow give it a trigger job when he was in San Francisco.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:25:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Your statement would put Cooper up one. Yours was neither new, nor insightful. And he's dead.  You lost to a dead guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I said a reliable double stack handgun in 9mm works best. His handgun concept has actually killed manufactures.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:27:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Did he pioneer the "I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you" firearms trainer secret squirrel background to make himself more appealing to firearms enthusiasts?

"After a brief spell as a civilian, Coo­per served through the Korean war in clandestine operations so covert that his oath of secrecy still prohibits him from discussing them. "
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/3/26/throwback-thursday-jeff-cooper/

I know he apparently sat out WW2 on a boat.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:28:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A fast action hunting rifle sounds dumb. What else did this guy revolutionize? Seems like that Clap guy who sells metal guns with the police chalk outline already made on the grips.
View Quote

Cooper's firearms innovations were out of date the day he made them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:32:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Crunchenticker
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:32:54 AM EDT
[#25]
In his time most of the battle knowledge didn't really apply to civilian training and tactics.

The GWOT experience has produced a lot of viable tactics that translate well to civilian applications. 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:36:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Cooper's firearms innovations were out of date the day he made them.
View Quote
QFT.

The Scout Rifle would have been a great idea... in 1917.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:40:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I said a reliable double stack handgun in 9mm works best. His handgun concept has actually killed manufactures.
View Quote
He killed the guy who shot at him with a double stack 9.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:41:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:41:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

He killed the guy who shot at him with a double stack 9.
View Quote
Couldn't have anything to do with tactics and training could it?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:41:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Did he pioneer the "I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you" firearms trainer secret squirrel background to make himself more appealing to firearms enthusiasts?

"After a brief spell as a civilian, Coo­per served through the Korean war in clandestine operations so covert that his oath of secrecy still prohibits him from discussing them. "
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/3/26/throwback-thursday-jeff-cooper/

I know he apparently sat out WW2 on a boat.
View Quote
He was part of the MarDet of the USS Pennsylvania.  He saw shipboard action and was an officer in the ship's gunnery department.  I think early on he commanded part of the secondary battery and then later on directed a section of the ship's AA guns.  He saw combat at sea.  He also did a number of landings to act as an FO to direct the ship's naval gunfire.  His only personal combat in the war occurred during two of those landings.  He had some sort of shoreside assignment near the end of the war, I forget if it involved training Marines or if it was something else.  He went to the USMC Command and Staff College and went into Military Intelligence.  He then served as an intelligence officer for an admiral's staff during a cruise to the Persian Gulf (I think it was that first postwar major cruise that led to the establishment of the squadron that would become the 5th Fleet) and after coming home went Reserve.  During the Korean War he was called back into active service and trained ROC Army officers in the use of small arms and later was seconded to the Royal Thai Constabulary helping to deal with communist insurrection being fomented by the ChiComs or something like that.  IIRC, he only actually had to shoot someone once doing that.  After the war I think he had other intelligence duties and eventually trained both Marines and FBI agents in pistolcraft at Quantico, which according to him was important in starting him on the path to developing the Modern Technique.  Sounded like he was learning things as he taught others and experimented with different techniques.  I think not long after that he went back into the reserves and once he was eligible, went on the retired list (1960s, maybe).
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:45:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

...and I was going to just eat popcorn and watch, until this post.

You will burn in hell for this one!!!!
View Quote
So you tell me, which one became popular by taking existing techniques from niche competition, and  popularizing it with media and turned it into success over the years with tons of fans hanging onto what they said to the point of having the same gear they used which was predicated on concepts...

and which one did the exact same thing just with video's instead of print magazines?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:47:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

QFT.

The Scout Rifle would have been a great idea... in 1917.
View Quote
It's still a good idea, if you get what it's about.

The Modern Technique was pretty avant garde back then, and schools like Gunsite were not exactly all that common.  From what I understand, today's Isosceles technique is an amalgamation of the original Isosceles and his Modern Technique.  IIRC, he also played a role in the creation of the IPSC and practical shooting in general.  After leading the way for a while, he did seem to get set in his ways to a large extent, becoming somewhat stagnant, but he also got injured around that time on his last hunt in Africa.  I don't think he was able to do a lot of practical shooting work after that and had also sold Gunsite and been pushed out of it around the same time, IIRC. 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:51:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The Modern Technique was pretty avant garde back then, and schools like Gunsite were not exactly all that common.  From what I understand, today's Isosceles technique is an amalgamation of the original Isosceles and his Modern Technique.  IIRC, he also played a role in the creation of the IPSC and practical shooting in general.  After leading the way for a while, he did seem to get set in his ways to a large extent, becoming somewhat stagnant, but he also got injured around that time on his last hunt in Africa.  I don't think he was able to do a lot of practical shooting work after that and had also sold Gunsite and been pushed out of it around the same time, IIRC. 
View Quote
The Modern Technique was developed over time through his study of what worked in competitions that he put together for that purpose.  These competitions led directly to the creation of IPSC.  Gunsite was the first of its kind.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:01:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not really.

The idea was seriously discussed in the '80's & a commercial offering wasn't made until the late 90's.

By then there were plenty of lightweight, reliable semi autos, making the bolt action unnecessary.

They all came with detachable box magazines, making the stripper clips unnecessary.

The scout rifle would have been great in the early 1900's.  Not so much after.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:33:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Not really.

The idea was seriously discussed in the '80's & a commercial offering wasn't made until the late 90's.

By then there were plenty of lightweight, reliable semi autos, making the bolt action unnecessary.

They all came with detachable box magazines, making the stripper clips unnecessary.

View Quote
Like I said, if you know what it's about, which you don't give the impression that you do given what you emphasize. The concept didn't revolve around nor require a charger guide. The specs also weren't just about weight, although I think that even today you'd have a hard time making weight on a good self-loader that fires a full-power cartridge; it was one of the main criteria, though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:40:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:46:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Like I said, if you know what it's about, which you don't give the impression that you do given what you emphasize. The concept didn't revolve around nor require a charger guide. The specs also weren't just about weight, although I think that even today you'd have a hard time making weight on a good self-loader that fires a full-power cartridge; it was one of the main criteria, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.

lol

Why don't you educate me there champ.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:52:44 AM EDT
[#38]
"Stripper clips" is getting up there with "1 button mouse."
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:53:40 AM EDT
[#39]
The scout rifle was a good idea. Still a good idea. You have to go to the target. When you get there the target may be moving.
You will see the wisdom of his idea in the field.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:54:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.

lol

This is easily the fourth Cooper thread this past week or so, and you've been in them.

That strawman is made of brick, it ain't going any where, regardless.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:54:46 AM EDT
[#41]
It wasn't tarded at the time.

I blame Aimless for all of the recent scout rifle threads.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:56:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:59:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
You opened a new portal to the universe where guys carry mediocre rifles in Africa so they can hunt big game and Nazis.
Similar to the Hitlerverse but different.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:29:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You opened a new portal to the universe where guys carry mediocre rifles in Africa so they can hunt big game and Nazis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cooper read a lot about, and part of the idea of the scout rifle as mentioned was based on Burnham.

Burnham was the progenitor of the boy scouts.

What if these boy scout rifle advocates are advanced scouts from the Rhodesiaverse coming to take back saigamantx who clearly escaped to come live in our world?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:31:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Cooper read a lot about, and part of the idea of the scout rifle as mentioned was based on Burnham.

What if these boy scout rifle advocates are advanced scouts from the Rhodesiaverse coming to take back saigamantx who clearly escaped to come live in our world?
View Quote
Do we get a reward for turning him in?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:35:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly at this point I'm more worried about your multiverse theory. I mean do all the knuckle draggers who think mosins are great guns for shtf come from some weird stalinverse?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:39:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Not really.

View Quote
Let's go pig hunting in California. Do you have a gun for that?

Or bear hunting in Canada.

Or hunting in Namibia.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:39:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So you tell me, which one became popular by taking existing techniques from niche competition, and  popularizing it with media and turned it into success over the years with tons of fans hanging onto what they said to the point of having the same gear they used which was predicated on concepts...

and which one did the exact same thing just with video's instead of print magazines?
View Quote
To be fair, Cooper pioneered and helped invent the "niche competition" from which those techniques were taken... that puts him ahead of somebody like Costa.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:40:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
"Stripper clips" is getting up there with "1 button mouse."
View Quote
Better than detachable mags if you aren't blocking the loading port.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:46:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Honestly at this point I'm more worried about your multiverse theory. I mean do all the knuckle draggers who think mosins are great guns for shtf come from some weird stalinverse?
View Quote
Well it will take further study but current data shows that each universe is overrun with Mosin fanboys. They do not stem from any single universe.
I believe they are part of an omnipotent evil entity hell bent on propagating shitty rifles throughout the multiverse. That's the only explanation I can think of that explains why there's so many mosins and idiots that think they're sniper rifles. Mosin owners are minions of the Great Dark Rifle Gods of Chaos.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top