Quoted:
Or the national debt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know what this means, right?
We don't have to worry about global warming anymore.
Or the national debt.
Or the war against the machines.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:24:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been discussing this asteroid with our ham radio think tank the past few weeks.  It is not a matter of if it will hit us but a matter of when. Stay frosty and prepare for the worst because it is coming.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They know what Pluto is. They decided to redefine the word "planet" not to include the class of objects which Pluto belongs. The classification of pluto has nothing to do with the predictive ability of science, but rather, shows the centuries old hissy fits that people get in to classifying things using arbitrary categories. When you get down to objective reality, the universe doesn't give a shit what is called a planet and what isn't. All of them are just bits of matter whipping around the solar system. We are the only one who care if it is called "a planet" or "a dwarf planet" or "a huge fucking asteroid" or "a space rock" or "your momma", or any other arbitrary name that we give to things for our convenience and understanding.

All of this has nothing to do with the accurate calculation of orbits of near earth objects, which is what this article is attempting to talk about (and failing).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell, they can't even decide if Pluto is a planet or not.

I'll be in my late 70s by then.....Ha-Ha.
They know what Pluto is. They decided to redefine the word "planet" not to include the class of objects which Pluto belongs. The classification of pluto has nothing to do with the predictive ability of science, but rather, shows the centuries old hissy fits that people get in to classifying things using arbitrary categories. When you get down to objective reality, the universe doesn't give a shit what is called a planet and what isn't. All of them are just bits of matter whipping around the solar system. We are the only one who care if it is called "a planet" or "a dwarf planet" or "a huge fucking asteroid" or "a space rock" or "your momma", or any other arbitrary name that we give to things for our convenience and understanding.

All of this has nothing to do with the accurate calculation of orbits of near earth objects, which is what this article is attempting to talk about (and failing).
NASA says Pluto is a dwarf planet. So it's a planet.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Scientists 'can't rule out' a lot of things.
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#5]
While no one knows for sure what the effects will be, all the simulations we've run with a hamster and a sledge hammer tell us it will be bad.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:55:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
While no one knows for sure what th effects will be, all the simulations we've run with a hamster and a sledge hammer tell us it will be bad.
View Quote
I'd love to see your experiments on climate change.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's not that big of a rock. Only 1200 feet in diameter. I have to imagine that's small enough that you could seriously fuck it up with some nukes.
View Quote
Traveling at 27,000 mph. That's quite a sabot round...
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:58:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like some Astronomers grant is running out.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'd love to see your experiments on climate change.  
View Quote
We used an autoclave and a chicken, global warming is very bad. Very tasty, but bad.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not that big of a rock. Only 1200 feet in diameter. I have to imagine that's small enough that you could seriously fuck it up with some nukes.
I'm not sure that turning it into a load of buckshot would make it better.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Poorly written article and/or reporter is too stupid to understand what the scientist was saying.

Sounds like collision was ruled out in 2029.  The next flyby after that is what is in doubt.

Article too poorly written to be sure. 
View Quote
Yup. Might be worth considering launching a nuke and blasting the thing as it begins moving away from us again, to throw off its trajectory.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#14]
2029 ?  

I'm good with that timeline. Should be all set, be 100% prepped, and even have a bunker / fallout shelter by then..  hopefully it lands on D.C..
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Poorly written article and/or reporter is too stupid to understand what the scientist was saying.

Sounds like collision was ruled out in 2029.  The next flyby after that is what is in doubt.

Article too poorly written to be sure. 
View Quote
I think the reporter knew the score, and he (or an editor) deliberately worded the article and title to stir up drama and hits.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Yeah, I know. That was a comet.

Look at the bright side. Millennials won't have to worry about not getting SS.

Quoted:
It's only 1200 feet across.  It's a city killer, not a planet killer.  If it hits a few hundred miles away, you will will hear a bit of a boom and some ground shaking, then go back to what you were doing.
View Quote
play around with this site................

Earth Impact Effects Program

Robert Marcus, H. Jay Melosh, and Gareth Collins

Please note: the results below are estimates based on current (limited) understanding of the impact process and come with large uncertainties; they should be used with caution, particularly in the case of peculiar input parameters. All values are given to three significant figures but this does not reflect the precision of the estimate. For more information about the uncertainty associated with our calculations and a full discussion of this program, please refer to this article

Your Inputs:

Distance from Impact: 483.00 km ( = 300.00 miles )
Projectile diameter: 366.00 meters ( = 1200.00 feet )
Projectile Density: 3000 kg/m3
Impact Velocity: 17.00 km per second ( = 10.60 miles per second )
Impact Angle: 45 degrees
Target Density: 2500 kg/m3
Target Type: Sedimentary Rock

Energy:

Energy before atmospheric entry: 1.11 x 1019 Joules = 2.65 x 103 MegaTons TNT
The average interval between impacts of this size somewhere on Earth during the last 4 billion years is 9.6 x 104years
Major Global Changes:

The Earth is not strongly disturbed by the impact and loses negligible mass.
The impact does not make a noticeable change in the tilt of Earth's axis (< 5 hundreths of a degree).
The impact does not shift the Earth's orbit noticeably.

Atmospheric Entry:

The projectile begins to breakup at an altitude of 54000 meters = 177000 ft
The projectile reaches the ground in a broken condition. The mass of projectile strikes the surface at velocity 16.4 km/s = 10.2 miles/s
The impact energy is 1.04 x 1019 Joules = 2.48 x 103MegaTons.
The broken projectile fragments strike the ground in an ellipse of dimension 0.951 km by 0.672 km

Crater Dimensions:

What does this mean?

Crater shape is normal in spite of atmospheric crushing; fragments are not significantly dispersed.

Transient Crater Diameter: 4.76 km ( = 2.95 miles )
Transient Crater Depth: 1.68 km ( = 1.04 miles )

Final Crater Diameter: 5.86 km ( = 3.64 miles )
Final Crater Depth: 504 meters ( = 1650 feet )
The crater formed is a complex crater.
The volume of the target melted or vaporized is 0.0654 km3 = 0.0157 miles3
Roughly half the melt remains in the crater, where its average thickness is 3.68 meters ( = 12.1 feet ).

Thermal Radiation:

What does this mean?

The fireball is below the horizon. There is no direct thermal radiation.
Seismic Effects:

What does this mean?

The major seismic shaking will arrive approximately 1.61 minutes after impact.
Richter Scale Magnitude: 6.9
Mercalli Scale Intensity at a distance of 483 km:

III. Felt quite noticeably by persons indoors, especially on upper floors of buildings. Many people do not recognize it as an earthquake. Standing motor cars may rock slightly. Vibrations similar to the passing of a truck.

IV. Felt indoors by many, outdoors by few during the day. At night, some awakened. Dishes, windows, doors disturbed; walls make cracking sound. Sensation like heavy truck striking building. Standing motor cars rocked noticeably.

Ejecta:

What does this mean?

The ejecta will arrive approximately 5.47 minutes after the impact.
At your position there is a fine dusting of ejecta with occasional larger fragments
Average Ejecta Thickness: 40.6 microns ( = 1.6 thousandths of an inch )
Mean Fragment Diameter: 561 microns ( = 22.1 thousandths of an inch )

Air Blast:

What does this mean?

The air blast will arrive approximately 24.4 minutes after impact.
Peak Overpressure: 1700 Pa = 0.017 bars = 0.241 psi
Max wind velocity: 3.98 m/s = 8.9 mph
Sound Intensity: 65 dB (Loud as heavy traffic)

Damage Description:

Glass windows may shatter.

Earth Impact Effects Program Copyright 2004, Robert Marcus, H.J. Melosh, and G.S. Collins
These results come with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've been keeping an eye on this mother fucker since the 9th grade.

It's probably going to fuck our shit up.

We have 12 years to get our shit together as a whole or we're done.
View Quote
You should have gotten your shit together and joined before 2013.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Eh whatever. I think we are at about at the point we need a hard reset. Burn this motherfucker down
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's only 1200 feet across.  It's a city killer, not a planet killer.  If it hits a few hundred miles away, you will will hear a bit of a boom and some ground shaking, then go back to what you were doing.
View Quote
It there time to mount thrusters and calculate a burn so we can pick the target?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Uh oh.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/06/28/scientists-cant-rule-out-collision-with-asteroid-flying-by-earth-in-2029.html

"Asteroids are one of the most serious threats to life as we know it, but scientists and skywatchers have gotten pretty good at predicting exactly when and where the dangerous rocks will appear, and how close they're going to come to our planet. One massive space rock, called 99942 Apophis, is going to make a very close pass of Earth in 2029, and that flyby could determine the fate of our planet in the not-so-distant future.

"We can rule out a collision at the next closest approach with the Earth," Astronomer Alberto Cellino told Astrowatch. "But then the orbit will change in a way that is not fully predictable just now, so we cannot predict the behavior on a longer timescale."

The flyby in 2029 will be extremely close, with the rock expected to pass within 20,000 miles of Earth's surface. That's a ridiculously close shave by space standards, and it's such a tight squeeze that the gravity of Earth is expected to alter the path of Apophis in such a way that its future passes will become much more unpredictable until further forecasting can be accomplished."
View Quote

Total repeal of the NFA in 2029 boys!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm not sure that turning it into a load of buckshot would make it better.
View Quote
Smaller pieces burn-up/explode before they reach the ground.  So yes buckshot would be better.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Smaller pieces burn-up/explode before they reach the ground.  So yes buckshot would be better.
View Quote
You're still dealing with the same total mass, and the same total transfer of energy. It would still probably cause damage of some sort, even if only by affecting climate / weather.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#23]
The worthless article doesn't say how long of an orbit.
Does it come by every 90 days, or every 9000 years?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Um, there won't be (probably) much fallout, assuming no radioactive isotopes in the asteroid before impact, but even discounting the possibility of heavy metals and organics, the impact of that much rock moving at ~21 mile per second will release a LOT of hard xrays. "EMP" doesn't even begin to describe that size of a burst.  

That said, you're right that anyone more than a couple hundred miles away will be more worried about the nuclear winter than the impact itself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It doesn't matter.  Anyone who keeps up with YouTube lately knows that Yellowstone is about to blow and we are all toast but the evil government is keeping it a secret.

A 1200 ft diameter asteroid falling into your neighborhood is not a good thing but I don't think it will be an extinction level event.  The asteroid that created the KT boundary extinctions is estimated at about six miles across if I remember correctly.  Even if the 750 megaton estimate is close to correct it is on the order of 15 Tsar Bombas without the radiation or EMP.  Bad news for the locals for sure but not the end of the world.  Whether or not the estimate is correct depends on the composition of the asteroid and whether it explodes in the atmosphere or impacts the earth among many other things.  There is absolutely no real news here because there are no real facts.  It is a typical story from the MSM created to generate fear and glorify ignorance and the notion that only a very powerful government can save us.
Um, there won't be (probably) much fallout, assuming no radioactive isotopes in the asteroid before impact, but even discounting the possibility of heavy metals and organics, the impact of that much rock moving at ~21 mile per second will release a LOT of hard xrays. "EMP" doesn't even begin to describe that size of a burst.  

That said, you're right that anyone more than a couple hundred miles away will be more worried about the nuclear winter than the impact itself.
Apohpis isn't moving that fast. And here, I have it set to be denser and faster moving. Handy dandy asteroid impact calculator with shiny graphics
At 50 miles from impact, windows will break.

Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#25]
If its expected impact is the middle east, the liberals will scream to the heavens for a full blown refugee program into the USA... as in TAKE IN EVERYONE.

Cause we cant be seen as uncaring

I say we build a great wall, a YUGE wall in circular fashion all around the impact area and in doing so we...
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Tell me where exactly in my statement where I said, that they said we were going to be hit...

I'm saying that generating fear is how these scientists get their grant monies, all across the scientific community...

AZ got up 121 degrees!....We need more $ to "study" global warming!

An asteroid is gonna fly close 12 years from now!! We need more $ to see if more are out there!!

Not saying that keeping an eye on these rocks is a bad idea, I'm saying that they have to generate the fear factor to get the $ to continue studying..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. You just failed at reading the article and believed the headline written by the clickbait generating journalist who wrote it.

No scientist is saying we are going to be hit by this in 2029.
Tell me where exactly in my statement where I said, that they said we were going to be hit...

I'm saying that generating fear is how these scientists get their grant monies, all across the scientific community...

AZ got up 121 degrees!....We need more $ to "study" global warming!

An asteroid is gonna fly close 12 years from now!! We need more $ to see if more are out there!!

Not saying that keeping an eye on these rocks is a bad idea, I'm saying that they have to generate the fear factor to get the $ to continue studying..
The Office of Planetary Protection doesn't subsist on grant money, and they're not worried about this nor using fear to continue study.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#27]
There is a bigger chance it will land in the ocean.  Any models that predict the magnitude of tidal wave?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#28]
As long as it hits the middle east, I'm cool with it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There is a bigger chance it will land in the ocean.  Any models that predict the magnitude of tidal wave?
View Quote
I imagine it wouldn't be pretty.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe.

From Wikipedia: "The Tunguska event is the largest impact event on Earth in recorded history. Studies have yielded different estimates of the meteoroid's size, on the order of 60 to 190 metres (200 to 620 feet), depending on whether the body was a comet or a denser asteroid."

It is supposed that it was an air burst with the energy focused downward, amplifying the effects.  Half a dozen of those would not necessarily be better than a big rock hitting the ground.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Apophis; Proper noun. (Egyptian mythology) The Greek name for the Egyptian mythological figure. The Egyptian name is Apep.  

Apep or Apophis  Ancient Greek:  also spelled Apepi or Aapep) was the ancient Egyptian deity who embodied chaos ( Izft in Egyptian) and was thus the opponent of light and Ma'at (order/truth). He appears in art as a giant serpent. 

Isfet or Asfet (meaning "injustice", "chaos", or "violence"; as a verb, “to do evil” is an ancient Egyptian term from Egyptian mythology used in philosophy, which was built on a religioussocial and political affected dualism.
View Quote
Yeah, but I'm going to call that cold, bitch rock, that might kill us all, Hillary, from now on.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#32]
If reading comprehension has suffered this badly, then Apophis may be more savior than destroyer. 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've been keeping an eye on this mother fucker since the 9th grade.

It's probably going to fuck our shit up.

We have 12 years to get our shit together as a whole or we're done.
View Quote
Without knowing when you attended 9th grade, that could be any period of time.  Last year?  50 years ago?  This summer?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

AZ got up 121 degrees!....We need more $$ to "study" global warming!

An asteroid is gonna fly close 12 years from now!! We need more $$ to see if more are out there!!

Not saying that keeping an eye on these rocks is a bad idea, I'm saying that they have to generate the fear factor to get the $$ to continue studying..
View Quote
So you are saying they are generating fear by saying it is not going to hit us, so they get grant money?

I'm sorry, that's even sillier than thinking they said it is going to hit us.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sounds like some Astronomers grant is running out.
View Quote
Sounds like someone's reading comprehension already did.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote
That person can not only write in English, he can do so at a level above the 3rd grade.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
750 megatons is going to fuck up some shit.  Not a planet killer, but more than a city killer.  It really depends a lot on where it hits.

If it hits Washington D.C, it could save America.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yea, but the estimated 750 kiloton payload it is packing has potential to make an O-ficial mess.
Imagine that sort of a nuclear bomb going off in the US. The mayhem that would insure is pretty catastrophic. We barely have survived our last election. Proof we needed a change, and more proof we aren't ready for something like that.
View Quote
Megaton not kiloton.  750 megatons.  As in 750, 1 megaton bombs going off at the same ground zero.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Came to post this.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
http://images.gr-assets.com/books/1388268115l/218467.jpg

Yeah, I know. That was a comet.
View Quote
Hot Fudge Sunday falls on a Tuesday this year. 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Scientists 'can't rule out' a lot of things.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Finally something to look forward to. 
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top