Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 6/27/2017 6:09:31 AM EDT
Yes, you can get a Shield at a great price after the rebate.

For me, I can't really think of an advantage it has over my Kahr CM9.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:12:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have a shield.

I would really like to get into the Kahr game but just about everything I read says it's a 50/50 shot on whether you get a good one or a lemon.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:20:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Nah. Learned my M&P lesson with V1. No amount of marketing will convince me the new ones are improved in any way. Can spin it any which way they want but the plummeting price point speaks volumes to me.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:20:51 AM EDT
[#3]
The CM series Kahr I had was an unreliable POS, while both of the Shields functioned well.....so there is that 
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:22:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have a shield.

I would really like to get into the Kahr game but just about everything I read says it's a 50/50 shot on whether you get a good one or a lemon.
View Quote
50/50? That's either BS or I'm incredibly lucky that my 2 Kahr's rock, and I have shit for luck. The shield is just a smaller Sigma in a new dress anyway.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:22:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a Shield and it rusted so terribly in my pocket I had to ditch it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:23:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a sig 938 and a Glock 43 and a S&W 3913.  I'm also doing fine on trunk guns tackle box guns toilet tank guns cookie jar guns and shower guns.

So even though I'm tempered "just because". I have not jumped on the shield.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:23:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Why are shield so cheap all of the sudden? Reasoning behind it? 
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:23:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I got one.

I didn't have another small, small caliber gun to carry. And its cheap enough that I won't miss it if it needs to serve another purpose.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:24:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Nope, still haven't bought one.  Yes they are at a great price for the pistol but then I'd have to add in a set of Hackathorn sights, Apex parts bits and pieces, add in a holster, then 10 spare mags.  Now that, great price on the pistol just went up a bit.

All for a pistol that I'd still need to carry in a holster versus just dropping it in a pocket.  And if I'm carrying a holster, why not just carry my full size M&P instead.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:24:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:25:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:26:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Shield = single stack Sigma dressed in drag
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:28:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Gym007 claims he not only has a gun but that his shield rusted into an unusuable blob
View Quote
I'm still waiting for pics of his Audi S3 he owns too. 
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:29:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm a luddite, I'll keep my snubbies and speedloaders.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:31:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nah. Learned my M&P lesson with V1. No amount of marketing will convince me the new ones are improved in any way. Can spin it any which way they want but the plummeting price point speaks volumes to me.
View Quote
Yes it speaks clearly of how economics works.  As a design ages manufacturing cost come down along with materials as you can make purchases based on forecasted sales.  R and D is probably half of the cost of the item.  Once that's paid for them prices should drop. Look at video games as a perfect example. Cars change every year slightly enough to justify a rise in price.

Glock over charges you probably 150%.  Caveat, I have no background in business and base all of this off of reading a book.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:32:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I have owned the Shield, PM9, CM9 & G43...
I currently have 2 G43s... the others I sold off because they sucked in one way or anther...
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:33:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Dead man walking
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a luddite, I'll keep my snubbies and speedloaders.
Dead man walking
His name was fxntime.

Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:33:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Gym007 claims he not only has a gun but that his shield rusted into an unusuable blob
View Quote
My Shield did.

I was constantly cleaning rust spots/reoiling.

One day I came in from gardening and was getting into the shower and I realized I had a massive brown splotch on my waist. Since I was reasonably sure I hadn't shit myself, I check my pocket and the Shield had rusted horribly, and even stained my pocket.

ETA: spelling
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:38:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I would have if the California version had ever come up for sale.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:39:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I picked up a Walther PPS m2 instead. Sure it was more, but seems to be a higher quality gun, and the $100 rebate is icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:39:42 AM EDT
[#22]
No. There are other guns way before a potential rust pile in my plans.
 Especially with lowered AR prices now. Or maybe I'll just get the Beretta SxS Double Rifle that I would never use.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:40:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My Shield did.

One day I came in from gardening and was getting into the shower and I realized I had a massive brown splotch on my waste. Since I was reasonably sure I hadn't shit myself, I check my pocket and the Shield had rusted horribly, and even stained my pocket.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My Shield did.

One day I came in from gardening and was getting into the shower and I realized I had a massive brown splotch on my waste. Since I was reasonably sure I hadn't shit myself, I check my pocket and the Shield had rusted horribly, and even stained my pocket.
About 20 years ago, the American gun buying public started voting with their dollars, in a big way, for cheap plastic guns.

So that's what the manufacturers give them now.

Cheap plastic guns, in various flavors of the month.

Yippee yippee!

Disclaimer: Not saying all polymer guns are cheap junk - but a LOT of them are.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:41:35 AM EDT
[#24]
The Shield is a single stack variation of the M&P series, whereas the actually Sigmas copied the Glocks mechanically to the point that Glock sued and was awarded damages including royalties, for copyright  infringement.

The shield is not my cup of tea but my wife and I own M&Ps that have been excellent for 10 years.

I'm not a fan of plastic pistols to begin with.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My Shield did.

One day I came in from gardening and was getting into the shower and I realized I had a massive brown splotch on my WASTE. Since I was reasonably sure I hadn't shit myself, I check my pocket and the Shield had rusted horribly, and even stained my pocket.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:42:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why are shield so cheap all of the sudden? Reasoning behind it? 
View Quote
2.0 is around the corner, treatment like the full size model
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:43:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Glock 43- so no

Actually moved from the CM9 to the 43 for one simple reason, trigger consistency between platforms. Kahr was the only gun with a trigger like that I owned, required lots more practice to remain proficient. Otherwise, my cm9 excellent, zero failures and carried 24/7 for 3yrs.

I foresee a bunch of "my shield ....." threads in the future.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:44:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Did not buy one, do not have one.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:48:54 AM EDT
[#29]
I've owned several Kahrs, they're awful.  Tiger is smoother, but long and weird.

Sights are stupid, just put 3 dots on.

The shield is a tight gun, works well, easier to grip and shoot.

I won't buy another Kahr.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:52:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Have a G43 and a few snubs.

Didn't buy one. ALMOST drunk bought one on a Saturday night, but couldn't do it.

I carry full-size pistols anyway.

Thought about the 45, just couldn't do it.

Need to finish my Grendel build, and that $200 would do better things there.

Plus, I realized that a G29 in 9x25 would scratch a smaller gun itch way better than a Shield.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:55:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Nah.

Had one and sold it. Plus I can get a G43 for around the same price normally.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:56:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Call me odd duck then...

I have liked the M&P 9s I bought.

But I did want & need something smaller and thinner to carry at work.

The Shield has performed great so far.  

As far as concern about rust, I pull it from the holster & wipe it down & give it a little spritz of oil once a week and it still looks like new.  

You can and will damage any gun if you get it wet and leave it sitting (glock included)

For the money spent, it has been a great value.  My two have been 101% reliable, accurate and carry concealed easy...

I have less than $225 total in each (including FFL Transfer fee) so I'm a double happy camper!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:58:31 AM EDT
[#33]
I've got a Shield, a Kahr 380, and a Glock 43.  I like the shield but it rusts easily.  My Kahr has been flawless and while I'm not a Glock guy I do like my 43 after I've put a new trigger, connector, and night sights on it.  Not exactly an inexpensive gun after all that.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:58:35 AM EDT
[#34]
I've thought about it, but my old Glock 19 seems to do everything I'd want a Shield to do.

For pocket carry I've got a Kel-Tec .32, a little Beretta .32 tip-up, and a Scandium snubby .357.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:01:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Did not buy one, do not have one.
View Quote
I already have more guns than I shoot. I may be tempted to get an HK VP9SK if I see one at a good price. My car and home projects are taking precedence right now.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:01:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Nope, I already have a Glock 43. If not for that I would've totally jumped on the Shield bandwagon.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:05:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I would have if the California version had ever come up for sale.
View Quote
Sportsman outdoor super center. Looks like all models.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/132720/187021/smith-and-wesson-mp9-shield-9mm-pistol-(ca-compliant)
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:06:39 AM EDT
[#38]
I prefer my P938.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:08:38 AM EDT
[#39]
I bought all 3 calibers before the "big deal".  I really like them all.

ETA I am left handed and the only "rust" problem I have had is the little barcode thing on the right side.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:10:45 AM EDT
[#40]
I rusted the mag release shut on mine. Decided to go Glock.

I was/am still tempted to at that price. Daughter may use it someday.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:11:59 AM EDT
[#41]
the smallest gun I carry is a g19.

You can keep your singlestacks
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:14:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Nope, I pefer a g43
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:15:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Sportsman outdoor super center. Looks like all models.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/132720/187021/smith-and-wesson-mp9-shield-9mm-pistol-(ca-compliant)
View Quote
OOS
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:16:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I rusted the mag release shut on mine. Decided to go Glock.

I was/am still tempted to at that price. Daughter may use it someday.
View Quote
I rusted the magazine release, and pretty much the entire slide. I accidentally ended up with a two-tone gun, but it was bisected down the slide, so it was a neat gun metal grey left side, and a blued right side
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Can spin it any which way they want but the plummeting price point speaks volumes to me.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:18:40 AM EDT
[#46]
I jumped in years ago when they first came out.  I put an Apex trigger in mine, and then went with a Big Dot sight system.  Holy shit, S&W really presses those sights in.  It was tearing up my sight pusher just getting those sights out.

On May 20th, I was at PSA, so I bought one in 45ACP and absolutely LOVE it.  The stippling on the 45 is better and this pistol feels even better than my original 9mm Shield.  The magazines however were a bear to load.  Getting the last 2 rounds in each of them (45ACP version) took an act of Congress.  The springs have settled since, and it's not as bad.

The gun feels good, looks good, and is cheap.  I like it very much.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:19:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I jumped in years ago when they first came out.  I put an Apex trigger in mine, and then went with a Big Dot sight system.  Holy shit, S&W really presses those sights in.  It was tearing up my sight pusher just getting those sights out.

On May 20th, I was at PSA, so I bought one in 45ACP and absolutely LOVE it.  The stippling on the 45 is better and this pistol feels even better than my original 9mm Shield.  The magazines however were a bear to load.  Getting the last 2 rounds in each of them (45ACP version) took an act of Congress.  The springs have settled since, and it's not as bad.

The gun feels good, looks good, and is cheap.  I like it very much.
View Quote
Oh wow, AT PSA?

It's probably best I don't have the ability to actually go to PSA
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:20:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've owned several Kahrs, they're awful.  Tiger is smoother, but long and weird.

Sights are stupid, just put 3 dots on.

The shield is a tight gun, works well, easier to grip and shoot.

I won't buy another Kahr.
View Quote
My experience as well and I tried 3 times with Kahr. Had a TP9, CW9 and K9

Thread needs more Shield love!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:20:17 AM EDT
[#49]
I can get Glocks at a decent price, even if I couldn't I would still go with Glock for my plastic handguns.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:20:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Nah.

Had one and sold it. Plus I can get a G43 for around the same price normally.
View Quote
I have to ask... Where can you get a Glock for $245 OTD?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top