BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:28:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A Swing and a Miss. I owe 0 dollars on education, 75k on a house, and 20k on a truck, and have a 800+ credit score.

A small number of people owe me small amounts of cash, and I have a small amount of money in the bank (compared to GD millionaires).

I'd still jump at the chance to have that erased. Because I owe more than I'm owed.

The current system is designed to create free-range debt slaves. It is nearly impossible to live in the US without debt.

The only people getting screwed in OP's scenario is the Soros and Gates of the World.

ETA:

I'd be more in favor of ending Fiat Currency, Fractional Reserve Banking, and Central Banks.
View Quote
No it's not.

It's just hard not to want to increase spending on material stuff as you increase earnings.  Most people just buy more and more expensive stuff as they increase their income. Being debt free is absolutely possible in the US if you're not enamored with trinkets and such.   
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So what about us who have no debt?
View Quote
Debt is one half of the coin. Credit is the other half. Same coin though.

Even if you don't owe anybody any money, people will owe you money.

Your employer owes you wages for the last month, except now he doesn't have to pay you. In theory, he couldn't even pay you upfront as you would now owe him an amount of service equal to the amount he has paid you - which puts you back in debt, which is not allowed.

Arguably (and interpretations will surely vary on this) your bank owes you the value of your account (as you've effectively loaned it to them to use/invest) except now they don't need to pay it back to you.

This system favours (for a given value of "favours") those who are overall debtors rather than overall creditors. You would be screwed, unless you keep all your money physically in your possession. Even then, that physical money might not hold any value in this brave new world.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Erase debt? Negative. Instead we should aggressively enforce personal responsibility. The last housing bubble and recession were a prime example of debt without consequence. You don't have a right to own a home, go to college and etc.  People should be held to stricter application standards with car home education loans and credit cards. If you default because you suck then maybe we should have debtor prisons where these guys work off the loan.
View Quote
/thread
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:40:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't think that it would work quite the way that you might think that it does.

Lots of unforeseen consequences.  I don't think that society would survive insofar that such rules remained in place.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Erase debt, credit, and then fractional reserve banking would become useless and the mask would be off once it has collapsed.  Back to money warehouses where the depositor would pay to store wealth, a negative interest rate for example just to hold some amount of dollars, or assets, whatever.  That is what is wanted though, to inflate the reserves
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:42:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

95% of people would be in debt again in six months.  How's that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dont want to hear, the poor would be in debt in six months.

95% of people would be in debt again in six months.  How's that?
It's called, bad choices and there is good evidence that almost all poor people would still be poor. As someone pointed out in a previous post look at lottery winners, most lose it all in short order.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
From the poorest to the richest would the world be okay?

Could a world economy work with a reset? Everything stops and you own what you physically have.
View Quote

If I have a CD with my bank it is a debit on their books. In other words, they owe me X bucks.

Wiped out?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:52:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Could a world economy work with a reset? Everything stops and you own what you physically have.
View Quote

If I have a CD with my bank it is a debit on their books. In other words, they owe me X bucks.

Wiped out?

Quoted:
..............However, I do see promise in the old Hebrew law of all debts being expunged every 7 years.  Of course you must say starting from today, past commitments are valid.  Then if you lend to some one you better darn sure you do your home work on the lendee or be prepared to say bye bye to your capitol..........
View Quote
Good luck buying your MacMansion with a 7 year (six year?) mortgage.

my mouse has da aids!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:52:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Erase debt, credit, and then fractional reserve banking would become useless and the mask would be off once it has collapsed.  Back to money warehouses where the depositor would pay to store wealth, a negative interest rate for example just to hold some amount of dollars, or assets, whatever.  That is what is wanted though, to inflate the reserves
View Quote
With sound money, the depositor pays a fee, not an interest rate, to the bank to keep the money safe.

That's how it is even today if someone wants to store their gold at a depository. Like Anything else, the fee is lower the more the service is utilized. The fees are reasonable, assume less than 1%.  

Our current system seems like there are no fees, but they are hidden through a negative interest rate, or inflation rate.  Since savings accounts yield almost nothing, and their target inflation rate is 2%, it's cheaper to store the gold.

The gold costs a % to exchange from fiat, but for long-term savings accounts, keeping it in paper currency is risky business.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:02:32 AM EDT
[#10]
In short, yes.

Human beings have existed longer without debt and banks then they have with them. There would be an adjustment period then we do as we always do, move forward.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why would you ask a question when you don't want to hear the answer/truth?  Except it would take much less than six months.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Iblol
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No one owes anything. If you want to buy something there is no credit. Just buy it or not.

Would the world be more simple? The Sentinelese wouldn't notice the difference.
View Quote
In your scenario where all debt is forgiven, everyone with their life savings in a bank or thebstock market or bonds loses it all.   Land owners and people with gold, physical capital, or currency are the only people left with any wealth.  Everyone else is back to paycheck to paycheck living and in many cases their entire retirement savings is gone and they have no choice but to hope for charity or government programs to see them through retirement.  

Terrible idea.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#14]
A debt is a payment to someone else for past labor, goods and services.

Companies, banks and countries could collapse if they were not paid what they were owed.

If everyone's debts were cancelled, like mortgages, how many banks would remain solvent.

The only way to responsibly get rid of debt is to pay what you f'n owe.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:36:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
At this point, there is more debt(liability) than there are assets, which seems preposterous.
Which leads to the Conclusion: "The Numbers are Made Up, and the Rules don't Matter".
View Quote
At this point, we're not just spending money we don't have, we're spending money we're never going to have. We're spending wealth that is mathematically impossible to create.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:38:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Jubilee! Yeah!

Pensions are debts, including government ones. Social Security retirement payments are debt.

Who would be the biggest winner from OP's scenario? The biggest debtor of course. That's Uncle Sam.

The U.S.'s largest creditor is the Social Security trust fund.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:41:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Did you just listen to John Lennon Imagine?

That's a sweet thought (no debt) but the world has moved on from that.

We will never return to a simpler life until everything collapses and most people are dead.

Now that can come in a 100 different ways, but the world is addicted to debt in all it's forms.

There is no going back............ever.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#18]
The same people would go right back into debt.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#19]
So then no one gets paid.  Your employer won't owe you anything and their clients also won't owe them anything.  How's that going to workout?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Well those poor countries would never be able to borrow again.   Somebody looses when you "wipe out debt".  

By the way does this include our debt?  The US would have trouble borrowing again and might have to  - shocker - balance our budget.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Would we survive? yes
Would it be pretty? no

And yes, you could give all of the money of every 1%er to the poor and within a few months to a year almost all of that wealth would be back in the hands of the 1%ers. The poor are natural spenders, they don't save and they sure as s**t don't invest. The rich provide goods and services the poor consume and get rich from it. Its a pretty simple business model. Honestly anyone with a 6th grade education can comprehend what it takes to be wealthy or at least comfortable financially, yet few are....
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#22]
I've been a believer in the idea that we clear the board worldwide for decades.  No cares given.

The "central bankers" should be executed.  entire families of ashkenazi.  call me literally Hitler... I don't care.   It's been a scam since 30 BC and earlier.

Wipe it Worldwide, from the richest country, to the poorest bum on the corner.

Edit: my entire debt is about $4000  counting student loans at 0% interest atm, the rest are credit cards paid at the end of the month in full.  I have "cash" in the vbank to zero the CC and 10K in CDs next to me due to mature in 2021 at a great rate.  I could be at $0 in five minutes.  don't think I'm FSA
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:01:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've been a believer in the idea that we clear the board worldwide for decades.  No cares given.

The "central bankers" should be executed.  entire families of ashkenazi.  call me literally Hitler... I don't care.   It's been a scam since 30 BC and earlier.

View Quote
No one is forcing to use their services.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:02:48 AM EDT
[#24]
read my edit ;)
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No debt for anyone world wide. What you have in your possesion is yours.

Not tankers in the oceans, not futures in oil, what you physically own.
View Quote
LoL, how do you physically possess a tanker?

Are you going to split it with the rest of the crew?  What if someone decides he doesn't want to share his possession?  What happens when you run out of gas?

You are basically proposing a global version of musical chairs, people will murder each other over it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#26]
People deeply in debt will be right back in debt in 6 months or less

Who cares if you don't want to face reality?  This sounds like some half baked stoner commie college professor utopia BS from the OP
Arrested adolescence at best.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Edit: my entire debt is about $4000  counting student loans at 0% interest atm, the rest are credit cards paid at the end of the month in full.  I have "cash" in the vbank to zero the CC and 10K in CDs next to me due to mature in 2021 at a great rate.  I could be at $0 in five minutes.  don't think I'm FSA
View Quote
Take everything you have, even your education, your knowledge, and throw it away.  It does not exist without the debt you have incurred.

A debtless society is what you have on the left, but even they depend on the scraps of the indebted society on the right.

Realize your plan only sounds good because you have already taken advantage of debt, which you do not want to pay off.  You are literally FSA.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Banking would crash

Every stock market would crash

Inflation would go Zimbabwe on steroids

Sounds like a solid plan, cuz feelz
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That would be illegal under the proposed system. If you are providing a service prior to payment (which is essentially what employment involves) then you are creating a debt scenario. OP says you're not allowed to do that.
View Quote
That would be an extremly loose interpretation of what debt means, no economy text book interprets it in such a way and I doubt the OP was thinking of wages when he said debt.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Debt is the new currency. If debt vanishes so does currency. Is the world ready for a barter only period?
What would the new currency be and what would it be based on?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Can I get a couple months heads up?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't ever come asking me for a loan.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Every 50 years the Israelites would wipe everything out during their year of Jubilee.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:07:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Talk about a bad idea.

About the only winners would be those who hold PM's.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Reading some of the posts in this thread makes my head hurt. Thank God no one in GD is actually in charge of anything.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#36]
By definition, the Rich and Vibrant would not ever be in debt again. No one would .

They'd be a hell of a lot poorer, though, since everybody on the dole would be on their own because their bennies are financed with borrowed money.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
In short, yes.

Human beings have existed longer without debt and banks - and living in poverty and with constrained economic development   - then they have with them. There would be an adjustment period then we do as we always do, move forward.
View Quote
Corrected it for you.    Having a financial system where you can borrow money, finance projects, allocate capital - is part of the modern world and part of why we've had insane economic growth for the past 100+ years.  Of course some people and countries cannot handle their money and take on too much debt.   Doesn't mean the financial system simply doesn;t matter.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Can I get a couple months heads up?
View Quote
You have it now.  Not that it will be debtless but the wheels will fall off soon.  Janet Reno says she doesn't see it coming.  When she was the head of the Federal Reserve Bank in San Francisco, she didn't see a housing bubble (2000-2007) either and pooh pooh it off.  Even the SF Chronicle was talking about it and how people were buying houses with $0 down and paying only the interest.  All the Fed Res did in 2007 onwards was to delay the inevitable and exacerbate the pain.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Many companies would go bankrupt.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Not sure, but you can use me as a test subject and wipe my debt.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#41]
All of the bonds that are in almost everyone's retirement funds would suddenly become worthless.

That might suck.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#42]
The global economy relies on debt. Forgetting erasing debt globally,the US economy would fall on its face if people stopped buying on credit and staring paying theirs off or -gasp- began saving.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#43]
One person's debt is another person's income.

Two sides to a balance sheet.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#44]
"We?"

"We" have enough debt that we shouldn't be solving anyone else's debt issues.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Debt is not a bad thing. It enables people (and institutions) to purchase and fund things. Purchasing things oils the wheels of industry and commerce, which in turn creates jobs and prosperity.

Take away debt and we're back to the 18th Century.

It's like insurance, which is under assault today by people who don't understand its role. Without insurance we wouldn't have airliners and skyscrapers and cellphones and most of the other commodities we value. Why? Because people wouldn't be willing to take the financial risks associated with construction and manufacturing and shipping and everything connected with them.

It's a similar situation with debt, except that people wouldn't be ABLE to purchase or fund those things, so those commodities wouldn't be available.

We should be celebrating debt. Responsible debt.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#46]
They shouldn't wipe out any debts that are owed by white privileged people.

They should allow debt expungement for minorities who have been unduly burdened by the unfairness of life
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Fancy intro and guys wearing suits doesn’t mean they are having an actual intelligent discussion. I’d like to think that they are just ignorant, otherwise they are pretty evil SOB knowing fully well the lies they are perpetrating.
View Quote
You serious clark?

You seriously doubt the intelligence, experience and expertise of Thomas Sowell when it comes to economics?

Seriously?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You have it now.  Not that it will be debtless but the wheels will fall off soon.  Janet Reno says she doesn't see it coming.  When she was the head of the Federal Reserve Bank in San Francisco, she didn't see a housing bubble (2000-2007) either and pooh pooh it off.  Even the SF Chronicle was talking about it and how people were buying houses with $0 down and paying only the interest.  All the Fed Res did in 2007 onwards was to delay the inevitable and exacerbate the pain.
View Quote
No.:

1) We control the world reserve currency.
2) We can militarily fuck up any country, forceful collection will not happen. Most likely no other reserve currencies will be tolerated. The only other one remotely viable would crumble if we stiffed them.
3) All other countries are in shit tons of debt.  
4) A large portion of our debt is internal
5) Ppl that will get fucked by increased $ supply dont make the rules.

I mean if we had a fair system I'd agree we'd be fucked, but we dont so we have a while...Although if you want to cover my irresponsible spending if it doesnt reset I'm will to go buy some really cool shit (Trust me I'll make you proud).
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Most everyone in this thread needs to read up on the Pareto Distribution. Which completely explains wealth inequality across the planet and how we are powerless to stop the unequal distribution of "wealth".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_distribution

Jordan Peterson - Inequality of Wealth and Productivity
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top