Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:01:55 AM EDT
[#1]
$0.00. Fireworks, like firearms are pretty much verboten in the country known as New Jerseystan.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Waste of ammo $.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:12:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I spend the same amount every year, $0.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:13:50 AM EDT
[#4]
None. Not buying any this year either.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:36:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Zero of them
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#6]
About 100 gets me two boxes of the big arial rounds and a few smaller things in my AO.  My friends do the same and we put on one helluava show for the whole 'hood.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:55:02 AM EDT
[#7]
$200 or so.  One of cousins is dating a guy whose family owns a fireworks store so he always brings a good amount to the party.

I just went to a frickin rediculous display on Saturday.  Probably 25 minute show set to music.  It blew away most mid sized city displays.  The guy works for a company who does displays so I have no idea what it costs him but it was awesome.  He holds a 50/50 raffle and has a few basket raffle to help offset the cost.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I spend the same amount every year, $0.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#9]
$200 bucks worth of backyard lameness for the son and his little buddies while all of us parents enjoy adult beverages. 
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:18:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I celebrate by going to St Louis and eating, drinking to excess and catching a couple of Cardinals games.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:19:26 AM EDT
[#11]
$0. And it's my birthday. 
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#12]
$1000 this year.  They came on a pallet in a semi truck.

The 4th has always been my favorite holiday.  I absolutely loved fireworks as a kid but they were illegal, so at the most I would scrounge up a few packs of firecrackers.  Our neighbor was the fire chief and would always put on a huge display for the neighborhood.

Now, I'm the grown up and I get to make the rules
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:36:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Zero dollars
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I am sorta surprised I am seeing a bunch of zeros, don't get me wrong. I got multiple cities within earshot I could watch for free (and do) but there's something about cracking a few off. MERCA.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Since childhood, I have loved fireworks.  I would get a small allowance, and I would buy and put on a fireworks for our family.  Guess it started about 7 yrs old.  Looking back, it was lame and I couldn't afford much, but my family always said they liked it and would give out complements (I'm sure they were pity comps) and I have done it almost every year since.  There have been a couple of years when I couldn't.  No money or when my daughter was first born, I didn't want to scare her off.  I have lived almost my entire life where I could see a big show from my backyard.  As a kid a local mall shot them off every year and where I used to live a local marina shot them off too.  I still want my own.  

So, that's the backstory.  I have spent $185 so far this year and will probably go up to $300 max.  

I know a guy that is crazy about Christmas as he grew up poor and never had one as a child.  Now he decorates his office to look like a Christmas Village.  The way I see it, everyone probably has their own passion and that's where they spend their money.  I certainly don't begrudge people who spend $0 on fireworks ... heck come on over to my house and you can watch mine.  I'll even give you your own sparkler and morning glory.

To the OP's question on type, I have found that I like some of the smaller fountains for the kids and get a bunch of the same thing.  Cuckoo's are a hit with the kids in our area.  I then go up to saturn rockets for some aerial stuff.  Can't go wrong with roman candles.  Then I almost always get the big box 500gram plus finales.  I used to do the mortars but I got tired of always running back and forth and found I can get a better show with those premade boxes.  4-6 of those and people love them.  Just make sure they have some aerial component (not fountain and assuming they are legal in your area) and you are set.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#16]
The good stuff is illegal here but it's easy to get if you want it and nobody cares on the 4th. I just don't have enough property to use aerial fireworks safely.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
$0.00
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
$0.00
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
With our great nations bday coming up... how much Benjamin's y'all drop on the Fireworks? I'd love to hear some of your favorites.
View Quote

Nothing, we have neighbors that blow up the place every year.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Cable. Cable is a bigger waste of money
View Quote
No cable, no fireworks. Both suck.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:52:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#22]
$0

i live in the city and my shittiest neighbors drop about $2k each on them. These are the druggies that owe 3 years of back taxes on their homes, never mow and have 7 kids and still can swing thousands in Roman candles. They start shooting them weekly in May and get up to every other 3am in June culminating in blocking off my street with drunk relatives and a mountain of expended fireworks. 

When done one they all just go inside and leave the mess for someone else.  The beauty is that the 3am air bursts slow to once a week throughout august. 
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
$0.00
View Quote
Stultus et pecuniam suam depositor mox divergunt

eta: just had a thought. Do they still sell "bottle rockets"? If the mutt in the back yard keeps yapping all night I might send over some suppressive fire. Aerial salutes might be over doing it, but the wife's patience is wilting.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#24]
$0.0
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#25]
0$ spent on fireworks. However, my dumbass neighbors always set off fireworks (illegally) in my neighborhood on the 4th of July and New Years eve. For some reason the police never seem to be around my neighborhood on those evenings. Neighborhood is mostly Mexican and African families with some African American, Mexican American, and Vietnamese families thrown in.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Usually around $1000 but some years we have spent more or less.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:04:08 AM EDT
[#27]
I've determined that the ratio of fireworks bought is directly proportional to one disposable income. If you have none, by fireworks.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
250 to 300. Screw the haters. I do it for the grand kids and I do it for the 10 yr old kid that lives in me. I grew up where everything was illegal unless you were a cop who got to shoot off everything they took from the people.
View Quote
I don't hate fireworks, I just find it disturbing that my neighbors shoot them off illegally (and surreptitiously - they set them up in the middle of the street, light the fuse, then run away and hide) in my neighborhood with total disregard for whether their stupidity may result in house fires. They're mostly firing off bottle rockets and other aerial fireworks. Yeah, how would your grand kids like it if a neighbor fired off some fireworks that hit your roof and started a house fire while the family was asleep? In my area it's illegal to set off fireworks inside the city limits. They can go outside the city to set them off and start their grassfires that get out of control.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm a fairly pragmatic individual.  I enjoy fireworks but view them as setting fire to perfectly good money. 
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#30]
So far $0.00
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#31]
I put on a pretty good show for $500.  I look forward to it every year.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#32]
taking a break this year, but my bill is typically around $1K, and that includes my homey hook-up of 50% off, since my buddy owns the stand.... its a good time
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#33]
taking a break this year, but my bill is typically around $1K, and that includes my homey hook-up of 50% off, since my buddy owns the stand.... its a good time
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Normally nothing. It's illegal to shoot off fireworks in the city, and Nashville puts on a hell of a show. My neighbors were setting them off until 2AM last year. This year they have a new baby, I think I need some mortars.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't spend a dime anymore but back in the day when I lived in new Jersey we would go into NYC over to Chinatown, back then you could get some serious stuff. My understanding is that you can't get anything worthwhile any more in NYC...good times back then
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Usually a couple hundred. I love and enjoy fireworks so to me it is money well spent.

I used to spend more and go bigger before I had children, but my kids are young and it doesn't take much to impress them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Zero. Wife and I sit out on the back patio and watch the neighbors turn hundreds (thousands?) of dollars into light and sound.

Neighbors buy the good stuff.

I love a free state.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Me? Maybe $200. There is a guy that doesn't live far from me though that puts on quite the show every year. I copied and pasted the description from the invite for this year. He posted a picture of the fireworks delivery and it was pallets upon pallets.

"Come one come all to an epic 4th of July party bash! Over 16,000 lbs of fireworks. Plenty of food and games and activities for all ages!! We will have music, & WI-FMX freestyle stunts. Please bring your own drinks. Please feel free to bring a dish of food to pass if you would like... (not required). Fireworks will start at dusk which should be around 10:00. The show should last a few hours at least. I guarantee this will be the best show you have ever seen! You do not want to miss out on this!! I have outdone myself this year and it will be INSANE!"
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Usually $100 per year on average.  I mostly set them off on new years eve though because they're banned on the 4th.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This.
Why would I spend money on fireworks when I can spend it on firearms.
Even though fireworks are illegal here, if they weren't I still wouldn't spend a dime on them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$0.00
This.
Why would I spend money on fireworks when I can spend it on firearms.
Even though fireworks are illegal here, if they weren't I still wouldn't spend a dime on them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm a fairly pragmatic individual.  I enjoy fireworks but view them as setting fire to perfectly good money. 
View Quote
I have bad news for you about the gun hobby...  
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Last time I personally spent money on fireworks was 1957 (true story...well, maybe). My family was returning from a cross country road trip and we found a place in Nevada selling Red Devil fireworks and other brands. So, I bought $14 worth of good stuff. We had lunch and then were back in California when I realized my bag of fireworks was missing!!! To this day, I suspect my Mom had something to do with this loss, but I may have just forgot them when we went to lunch.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#43]
I try to keep it under $200. Cop rolled up toward the end of my little show last year. Totally busted, I walked over to the car with an illegal cake in my hand. He said they'd received a lot of calls and then added, "Sorry, it's a stupid law." I said we'd wrap it up and wished him a good night. He didn't confiscate anything, and at no point did I ask if I was being detained.

If you call the cops to complain about fireworks ON THE 4TH, you hate America.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've determined that the ratio of fireworks bought is directly proportional to one disposable income. If you have none, by fireworks.
View Quote
Seems to be the case here as well. It's hard to get out of the ghetto when you blow your money on the newest clothes, phones, cars, and fireworks.

That said, I spent around $100 this year on fireworking supplies. Just one more year in my ghetto.....
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Motherfuckin' Bootleg Fireworks (Funny Subtitle Version)
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#46]
$0.

Pretty much have spent $0 on fireworks since we moved to California in the late 1980s.

I grew up in NY, fireworks were illegal but nobody seemed to give a shit. Whole town would go apeshit, cops ignored it (or would hang out and enjoy the show).

California takes a different view of them and enforces the laws pretty enthusiastically (at least where I have lived). Of course the Hispanic side of town gets a pass, place sounds like a war zone on the 4th.

There is a public display synced to a local radio station that I can see really well from the end of my driveway. We grab lawn chairs some cocktails, sit out there with the neighbors and enjoy the show. We can also see the private show(s) from the other side of town where laws are not enforced, sometimes they rival the pro show.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I have bad news for you about the gun hobby...  
View Quote
Which is also why I only go shooting roughly once per year.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#48]
I spend all my money on fireworks so I can be a hero and shit
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Usually zero

However I just gave my buddy 140 because he wants to do it big this year

For one hundred and fucking 40 dollars it better be amazing.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#50]

Its our first 4th of July with our kids we adopted from Ukraine

Want to show them what 'Murica is all about!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top