BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 6/26/2017 12:02:24 PM EDT
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2017/06/video_french_quarter_robbery_c.html

Attack happens at 1:30

I've been in this area many times with my family, and this happened before 9 pm.  The poor fuckers didn't see this one coming.

ETA:

All four arrested.  http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2017/06/french_quarter_beating_arrests.html

Victims were tourists in town for a Unitarian Universalist conference. http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2017/06/victims_of_french_quarter_atta.html
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#1]
FNOLA
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Who is the guy that runs back at 2:06?  One of the robbers seeing if they left something behind?  Or checking to see if the dude was still alive?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Well.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#4]
That was fast
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Fast forward to 1:30

Didn't they hear those guys running up to them?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#6]
that must have been off the beaten path. 10:50pm and almost no traffic isnt the heart of the french quarter. Never get off the boat, man. 
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Situation awareness.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Used to love going to Bourbon Street for a weekend of partying.
Even pre-Katrina it was advised to stay on Bourbon Street proper after dark. Even during the day you encountered a few sketchy characters if you got too far off the beaten path.
Now I hear that Bourbon Street itself isn't even necessarily safe anytime after dark.
Another place on my list to not visit anymore.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#9]
So nose bleed? You'd think they'd might have looked back to see who was running up behind them...
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#10]
They were probably in a heated debate regarding Apple vs. other technologies, and didn't realize someone was running up behind them.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
that must have been off the beaten path. 10:50pm and almost no traffic isnt the heart of the french quarter. Never get off the boat, man. 
View Quote
Bienville Street. where ever that is.

Looks like it runs perpendicular to Bourbon St. Down close to a park on the water. Mostly parking lots.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
8:50 PM and it's not that far off the path. We,be stayed at the Windsor Court a few times and walked to/from the Quarter. It's not far from where this took place

Last trip there I saw a shooting on Canal basically right in front of The Ritz.  It's pretty much the main thoroughfare down from I 10.   On or off the beaten path doesn't matter much in NOLA.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#13]
This won't go on forever.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#14]
This is part of the white privilege we hear about.

Why anyone goes to that fucking shithole is beyond me.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#15]
yawn.  no one cares.

Now, reverse the races, this would be the only news on television for the next month.

Damn that white privilege!
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is part of the white privilege we hear about.

Why anyone goes to that fucking shithole is beyond me.
View Quote

Because the media lies and tells you black on white crime doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Who is the guy that runs back at 2:06?  One of the robbers seeing if they left something behind?  Or checking to see if the dude was still alive?
View Quote
Ah, the old attempted murderer with a heart of gold.

Momma always did say he was such a good boy.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Where's that Carnac the Magnificent meme?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Fast forward to 1:30

Didn't they hear those guys running up to them?
View Quote
man, condition white is a bitch.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Someone needs to post a link the street robberies and you thread.

Something very similar almost happened to me a few years back. The three guys (fourth guy stayed in the car driving by) ran up on me and put me on the ground. Didn't hit me or anything, but one did hold a revolver to the back of my head while the others emptied my pockets. I was walking a couple blocks unarmed since I had been in a bar. Changed my views on the efficacy of those laws. They are all in prison now, but it could have been real bad for me.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
It appears to be down close to the water, near the aquarium. Definitely part of the tourist area.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#22]
People wandering through the jungle should remember that they're wandering though the jungle. I bet that they never make that mistake again. 
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Being more aware might have helped but 4 vs 2 isn't great odds.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn, article said the one dude is in critical condition.  WTF happened?  Was that from smacking the pavement?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It appears to be down close to the water, near the aquarium. Definitely part of the tourist area.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Lots of parking. Guess that's a perfect spot to do strong arm robberies...
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I've lived here all my life, and I rarely go into New Orleans any more.  I don't understand the draw that young hipsters have for it. I hope the young guy recovers. That looked real bad.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. At least they *might* have had a chance to make a run for it if they look at their six though.  At very least dude wouldn't have got surprised punched and face planted, but with 4 on 2 like you said, they'd be on the ground eventually.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So nose bleed? You'd think they'd might have looked back to see who was running up behind them...
View Quote
Not just a "nose bleed". The guy is in critical condition.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Situation awareness.
View Quote
You know, that was the first thing I said to myself when watching this, but they were overtaken FAST and I'm not sure how quickly they could have reacted otherwise. I would bet that there were signs they should have seen prior to the attack, though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Used to love going to Bourbon Street for a weekend of partying.
Even pre-Katrina it was advised to stay on Bourbon Street proper after dark. Even during the day you encountered a few sketchy characters if you got too far off the beaten path.
Now I hear that Bourbon Street itself isn't even necessarily safe anytime after dark.
Another place on my list to not visit anymore.
View Quote
pre Katrina

I used to make frequent trips down to party and get trashed.

I would love to visit again but I think I may just pass
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Guys must have been drunk not to hear those apes stomping up behind them.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Rich and Vibrant.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Partoflifeinabigcity.gif

At least Mitch got rid of those menancing statues.
They're feeling empowered now. Then again, this is nothing new.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
They should have taken a page from the Die Hard playbook and been moving in a "standard 2x2 cover formation".
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes and no. There is no "off the beaten path" in the quarter, honestly, but Canal St. and near the river gets very sketchy after dark.  I've had minor issues on the river walk during the day too.

NOPD is a third world police force so there's literally no hope of anything improving any time soon.  If there was ever a case study for a police department that needs to be under federal consent decree and constant monitoring, NOPD is it.  Things seemed a little better when the state police were "supervising" NOPD, but that didn't last long.  

When I'm there at night I stay on Bourbon between Iberville and St. Ann with an occasional walk down to The Blacksmith Shop (Bourbon and St. Phillip).  It's well lit and patrolled.

I love NOLA and have had a lot of very good times there, but it takes a bit of common sense and awareness.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes and no. There is no "off the beaten path" in the quarter, honestly, but Canal St. and near the river gets very sketchy after dark.  I've had minor issues on the river walk during the day too.

NOPD is a third world police force so there's literally no hope of anything improving any time soon.  If there was ever a case study for a police department that needs to be under federal consent decree and constant monitoring, NOPD is it.  Things seemed a little better when the state police were "supervising" NOPD, but that didn't last long.  

When I'm there at night I stay on Bourbon between Iberville and St. Ann with an occasional walk down to The Blacksmith Shop (Bourbon and St. Phillip).  It's well lit and patrolled.

I love NOLA and have had a lot of very good times there, but it takes a bit of common sense and awareness.
View Quote

@scotchymcdrinkerbean
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They were probably in a heated debate regarding Apple vs. other technologies, and didn't realize someone was running up behind them.
View Quote
Or whether to buy a house in a HOA regulated subdivision
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not as far as you'd think.  Its the parking area near The Shops at Canal Place, if I'm recognizing the spot correctly.

Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You know, that was the first thing I said to myself when watching this, but they were overtaken FAST and I'm not sure how quickly they could have reacted otherwise. I would bet that there were signs they should have seen prior to the attack, though.
View Quote
Certain areas prone to certain demographic concentrations are best avoided without being part of an armed force. That includes urban areas with large concentrations of poor youth, trailer parks not full of retirees, parts of West Virginia, and most of the Middle East.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Critical condition, , hopefully the guy pulls through with no permanent problems.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The building that this occurred at (208 Bienville per the video title) is an old building standing alone in the middle of a large parking area.  That parking area is very common usage for tourists visiting the aquarium and the French Quarter.  Like I said, I've been in that exact spot many times.  My guess is that the group were hiding at one corner of the building and quickly came around and attacked.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#42]
My suspicions were correct about what the attackers looked like even before I watched the video.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Partoflifeinabigcity.gif

At least Mitch got rid of those menancing statues.
They're feeling empowered now. Then again, this is nothing new.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

True. At least they *might* have had a chance to make a run for it if they look at their six though.  At very least dude wouldn't have got surprised punched and face planted, but with 4 on 2 like you said, they'd be on the ground eventually.
View Quote
Yup, better to see it coming regardless of how its going to end. The first guy to drop hit hard and was leaking a lot, either busted nose or split his forehead when he dropped. It looked bad.

I've met plenty of guys that could swing the 4 on 2 and likely win... but the victims in this video don't appear to be "those" kinds of guys.

The muggers looked pretty experienced...
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#45]
this thread is going places
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Bienville and Decatur is not off the beaten path.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Certain areas prone to certain demographic concentrations are best avoided without being part of an armed force. That includes urban areas with large concentrations of poor youth, trailer parks not full of retirees, parts of West Virginia, and most of the Middle East.
View Quote
Very true.  The best situational awareness for that situation is to not be in the area in the first place.  It's a shame, really.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guess his head bounced off the concrete.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#49]
NOPD tourism damage control video

NOPD gives update on French Quarter beating, robbery
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is hilarious.

(And the LSP never "supervised" us.  Among other things, it would be illegal for them to do so under LA law and our home rule charter.  They couldn't even give out traffic tickets in our city if we didn't give them permission.)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top