Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/24/2017 3:36:43 PM EDT
When I'm getting on the interstate on ramp, behind some asshole doing 40-45 when the ramp merges into the 70+ mph traffic. HELLO the ramp is actually designed to build up speed so you can merge at nearly the same speed as oncoming traffic. And depending on the ramp and the time of day it makes things extremely dangerous.

So anyway I merge behind these slow assholes and pass them and go on with my life. Then a couple minutes later they're in the passing lane passing everything in sight
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes I agree.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Camping in the left lane in merging onto the highway going 20 miles per hour under the speed limit are prerequisites for your license in Washington State.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#3]
My faves are the ones who feel the need to come to a complete stop before merging onto the highway.
Seemed to see this a lot when I lived in NC.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Lol. Here outside of DC there is a Korean part of town; every time i go there Korean ladies HIT THE BRAKES when entering the merge ramp.  Sometimes they flat out stop and signal.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lol. Here outside of DC there is a Korean part of town; every time i go there Korean ladies HIT THE BRAKES when entering the merge ramp.  Sometimes they flat out stop and signal.
View Quote
AHAHHAHA. I have seen that way too many times myself. My GF's mother has done that before.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My faves are the ones who feel the need to come to a complete stop before merging onto the highway.
View Quote
My favorite is during rush hour in Phoenix, they have metered on ramps.
There are stop and go lights on the on ramp which means I inevitably get stuck behind some idiot in a 4 banger jeep that's only hitting on 3 cylinders.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#7]
A lot of our on ramps are uphill, and my 100,000+ pound vehicle won't go that fast.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Left lane camping and failing to accelerate on an on ramp are both dick moves in my book.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Even better when your run across the occasional actual retard who stops at the end of the ramp thinking they're supposed to yield
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Can usually be worked around.  Fuckheads who won't get out of the merge lane on the other hand...

The single easiest way to get me swearing and beating the steering wheel is the fucksticks that are getting off on the combined entrance-exit lane, but absolutely HAVE to floor it and get in front of me, then slam on the breaks to avoid flipping on the ramp.  This is fucking simple.  I need to speed up, you need to slow down.  So just get fucking behind me as I accelerate dumbfuck.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A lot of our on ramps are uphill, and my 100,000+ pound vehicle won't go that fast.
View Quote
Yeah, not talking about you following the laws of physics, talking about fucking 'tards not pressing down with their right foot another inch.

If a small vehicle isn't getting up to speed, it likely ain't because it 'cannot' get up to speed, it's the idiot behind the wheel.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:10:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I love timid cunts that think the only tool they have at their disposal for merging is the brake pedal.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#13]
The asshole who is merging to slow is being an asshole for merging too slow, unless conditions dictate he needs to take it easy.

The assholes on the highway are being assholes for not letting people in.

If you are in the right lane, God forbid you have to let somebody in trying to merge onto the highway instead of running them off onto the shoulder.

The worst people of all are the ones who panic, slam on the brakes, and trap everybody behind them going 15 miles an hour when traffic to the left is blasting past at 75.

If you are in the right lane, at some point you will have to slow down to let somebody in. It's not an insult against your family, your honor,  whatever dick extension of a car you're driving that day, or make you a terrible human being for demonstrating some common courtesy and potentially avoiding an accident
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:14:49 PM EDT
[#14]
A certain demographic in south Alabama has taken to driving 10 under in the left lane, then abruptly crossing three or four lanes a couple of hundred yards from their exit.  Interesting seeing them do this with traffic at highway speeds, completely oblivious to other cars.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Even better when your run across the occasional actual retard who stops at the end of the ramp thinking they're supposed to yield
View Quote
Merging traffic is supposed to yield to traffic already on the freeway... That usually doesn't require stopping.

I see you went to the Colorado "they should/will get out of my way" school of driving.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The asshole who is merging to slow is being an asshole for merging too slow, unless conditions dictate he needs to take it easy.

If you are in the right lane, God forbid you have to let somebody in trying to merge onto the highway instead of running them off onto the shoulder.

The worst people of all are the ones who panic, slam on the brakes, and trap everybody behind them going 15 miles an hour when traffic to the left is blasting past at 75.

If you are in the right lane, at some point you will have to slow down to let somebody in. It's not an insult against your family, your honor,  whatever dick extension of a car you're driving that day, or make you a terrible human being for demonstrating some common courtesy and potentially avoiding an accident
View Quote
Another student of the Colorado traffic school.

People on the freeway are not supposed to yield. It is that simple.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Another student of the Colorado traffic school.

People on the freeway are not supposed to yield. It is that simple.
View Quote
I either let them in or move over into the left lane, that's what the semi drivers do as well.

One day you will run into somebody who gives zero fucks and will merge right into you, then you may change your mind.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Exactly.
It's not an "on ramp" it's a fucking launch pad. You should be approaching escape velocity as you hit the end to merge.
I give truckers a pass because of gravity, momentum, magnets and other scientific shit.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#19]
some of these anemic green motors take a while to get up to speed....
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#20]
What gets me is that the right lane is usually filled with 18 wheel trucks going 55-65mph.

That is not something that can quickly slow down when one of the slow merging idiots gets onto the freeway.

There exists a 270 degree right turn on ramp in town where it is fairly tight and most people are afraid to take it at more than about 35-40mph.    Problem is that the "merge lane" of the freeway is about 75 yards long.    Dumb asses do not realize that as they leave the apex of the turn they need to be accelerating the entire way if they have any hopes of being 55-65mph by the end of the on ramp.

Making things even more complex is that  270 degree right turn on ramp merges 2 lanes into one before dumping you onto the freeway.

You have a chance in hell of passing the slow merging idiot on the inside/outside if it is just one car ahead of you.

But god forbid you get two of the morons next to eachother.

I avoid that on ramp when possible.    But if I have to use it I generally take the on ramp at a higher speed and will be doing 65-70 by the time you are merging so you get ahead of any trucks.

Have seen far too many idiots fail at merging even resorting to trying to straddle the break down lane at 45mph because they are scared to get up to speed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Left lane camping and failing to accelerate on an on ramp are both dick moves in my book.  
View Quote
It really helps when ramps are built so you can see the traffic you'll be trying to merge into.  But very often some state highway engineer allows vegetation to grow in the space between the travel lanes and the entrance ramp so that the only view of traffic a merging driver gets is at the last second before the ramp joins the highway.

I usually end up going down a ramp at 45-50 until I can spot a hole and then match my speed to merge in.  Far better than simply flying down a ramp at Warp 6 telling yourself "They'll make a hole for me or die!"
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
When I'm getting on the interstate on ramp, behind some asshole doing 40-45 when the ramp merges into the 70+ mph traffic. HELLO the ramp is actually designed to build up speed so you can merge at nearly the same speed as oncoming traffic. And depending on the ramp and the time of day it makes things extremely dangerous.

So anyway I merge behind these slow assholes and pass them and go on with my life. Then a couple minutes later they're in the passing lane passing everything in sight
View Quote

Never been to PA, have you? Good luck speeding up in those curved on ramps. Btw, I'm a truck driver lol
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#23]
People that slow down while approaching green lights DRIVE ME FUCKING CRAZY!!!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I totally concur OP
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I saw 3 almost accidents in one day because of this. Person merging in front of me, was completely in front of me, was so nervous they ended up stopping and pulling over so i could pass.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Often times when I am getting on an interstate alot of people stop at the end and then put on their turnsignal. This is after going 35 on the ramp trying to murge, I don not understand it but at the rate it happens; I can't be the only one to notice.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Never been to PA, have you? Good luck speeding up in those SHORT, UP HILL, curved on ramps.  Btw, I'm a truck driver lol  
View Quote
FIFY.

A PA trucker, too.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Probably about a dozen times in my life that Ive been so close to the cocksucker in front of me that I can't see their license plate while going up the ramp.

Don't be that cocksucker.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I hate the same bullshit at stoplights.  

Accelerate like they have the last tank of gas in the world, only let 3 cars go through the light, then 1/2 mile down the road they're doing 90.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a 6th sense for the person driving in front of me if they are going to putt-putt along or if they are going to put the gas pedal to the floor.

I have even decided a few times that it is not worth "engaging" these peoole, so I will pull off the shoulder of the on ramp, and park for 30 seconds or so.

On a different note, I think some dude try to set me up for a "swoop and squat" last week.

The interstate is 3 lanes in each direction.  I am hauling ass down the on ramp, put on my blinker, merge safely into the right lane.

Then this dude in a green Nissan Cube swerves from the middle lane into my lane in front of me and slams on the brakes.

In a split second, I am down to doing 45MPH.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:36:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

FIFY.

A PA trucker, too.
View Quote
very few states have onramps long enough that you can accelerate to the speed of Highway traffic.

Most of them throw you out of a really sharp curve were the most I can do is 35, then you have a very short distance to somehow match traffic speed, I don't own a single vehicle that can make it above 65 on a typical Colorado onramp.

I'm usually doing about 55 to 60.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#32]
What OP describes, along with left lane camping, are more dangerous than speeders, drunks, and texters added together.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#33]
You hit the nail on the head buddy! I swear they must not teach how to merge properly in driver's ed anymore. It always seems to happen when there's someone busting up along your left side and you can't get over. I've had idiots practically come to a stop, then creep into the right lane. I was taught to match your speed to the traffic as you merged into the right lane, not poke along. This problem only seems to have gotten worse in the last five years or so.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
very few states have onramps long enough that you can accelerate to the speed of Highway traffic.

Most of them throw you out of a really sharp curve were the most I can do is 35, then you have a very short distance to somehow match traffic speed, I don't own a single vehicle that can make it above 65 on a typical Colorado onramp.

I'm usually doing about 55 to 60.
View Quote
What do you drive, a Lada?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Must be the same people that feel the need to swing their Toyota Yaris wide at EVERY corner in town like its a triple trailer big rig...to the point of swinging out into the through lane next to them...
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#36]
How about those who need to slow to 10mph, then come to a complete stop before taking a f'n right turn off of a 50mph+ road.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What do you drive, a Lada?
View Quote
these days, it's mostly a 97 80 series with rock sliders, full set of skids, front and rear bumpers, roof rack, and two spare tires.

Brand-new, on a good day that thing is a slug. With several hundred pounds of trail armor on it it's a salted slug.

ETA: I just found the print out from the truck stop, without me in it it's about 6300 pounds.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#38]
People who dont yield to the lane they are merging into are just as bad.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
True, sometimes. 

It's on the merger to ensure their speed somewhat matches the speed of the traffic they are merging into.  If I have to hammer the brakes to let their slow ass in, I'm not going to do it.

If the merger is going a reasonable speed, I will adjust mine to allow them to move over.

In either event, if I can move to the left lane to make their merge easier, I will.  

And I've been run onto the shoulder, right before an exit ramp, because a trucker decided he needed to get off there and about ran me into the guard rail doing it as I'm hammering the brakes so hard my tires aren't round afterwards........
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fuck no.

If you're already on the interstate, your only job (if you can't easily get into the left lane) is to go a constant speed so others can plan how to merge either in front of you or behind you. Don't change your speed to try to let someone in in front of you or behind you, because they may have already planned on the opposite, and you don't want to do the work-hallway-who's-going-which-way-dance at 75 mph.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#41]
I shoot around before they can get on the highway then block them out
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#42]
I see it 100000000000 times a day as I work on the road. I think people are taught to drive 30 mph to the bottom of the ramp and the second their tires touch the Highway pavement they floor it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
And that usually just involves looking and planning ahead and taking your foot of the gas pedal to slow a little. In other words, near zero effort. Yet people still don't do it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
You'd kill yourself if you ever drove on Utah roads. We have what's called brake merging and everyone does it. It doesn't matter if you're merging onto the freeway or getting off, these assholes hit the brakes before moving over. When you have one guy getting onto the freeway and another getting off at the same time, both will slow down to school zone speeds before moving over.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
A lot here in MO too.....just straight up stop at the bottom of the ramp.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Fuck no.

If you're already on the interstate, your only job (if you can't easily get into the left lane) is to go a constant speed so others can plan how to merge either in front of you or behind you. Don't change your speed to try to let someone in in front of you or behind you, because they may have already planned on the opposite, and you don't want to do the work-hallway-who's-going-which-way-dance at 75 mph.
View Quote
then if I see an opening, I'm pulling in at 55 to 60 miles an hour, sorry if you're going 75. You can either go around me or slow down.

I usually drive about 5 miles under the limit in the right lane with the semis.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Is that you too? I think OP made this thread about drivers like you.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#48]
There are plenty of people here who will go to the end of the on-ramp and STOP with their fucking blinker in.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
You are supposed to yield.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top