BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Latin phrase is "stare decisis."  It is a principle of giving deference to prior opinions, but there are numerous examples of the Court overturning prior decisions.  Once a decision is rendered it is not thereafter forever engraved in stone.  See, for example, Plessy v. Ferguson and Brown v. Board of Education.

Kennedy leaving isn't a huge win in my mind.  The vast majority of the time he casts his vote against government restrictions.  Some call him left-leaning because when he applies this to things like gay marriage he says government shouldn't be able to restrict two consenting adults from calling themselves married and, therefore, if the state is going to recognize marriages it has to recognize them all.  But he also was on the pro-gun side in Heller and McDonald, he votes for limiting search and seizure, is dubious of government overreach in things like environmental protection regulations, riled the "liberals" by voting against government restrictions on speech in Citizens United, etc.  

Edit: I can't think this morning.
View Quote
the best part of Kennedy leaving will be the ability to take the weather station out of the Supreme Court.

It was important to know which way the wind was blowing that day to try to figure out what Kennedy was going to do.

To me, Constitutional law should be taken from an understanding of, first, the actual language of the Constitution, and second, an understanding of what the Founders intended when the Constitution was passed. To him, Constitutional interpretation was what he thought was good policy for the country. Sounds like a good idea, huh? Maybe for a legislator, not for a Supreme Court Justice.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:21:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not tired of the WINNING yet, anyone else?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:22:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I hope we stack the court, but it better not touch abortion shit.

I'd like to win another election in the next 50 years, but dumbfuck Social Conservatives, who define themselves solely on such social matters because economics and voting trends are hard, love to ruin everything.
View Quote
this x 1000

If the Republicans want to give the Dems 50 seats in the midterms as the Dems hope, all they need to do is start talking about reversing Roe v Wade.  It would be no different than if a conservative justice was leaving and Obama started talking about appointing a justice to over turn the courts opinion that "the Second Amendment is an individual right" making it a government right, and pushing to ban all guns.  That is how big of an issue this is.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:23:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Continuing in that vein:
Doesn't that apply to virtually every law?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it is not settled law, not if a five-member majority of a future SCOTUS decides to overturn it.

Regardless, there is no huge push right now on the conservative/Republican side to outlaw abortion, this is the liberals firing up the base.
Continuing in that vein:
Ever since SCOTUS formally granted  itself the power to overturn laws in the case of Marbury v. Madison in the very early 1800s, yes.  That is why SCOTUS is a very dangerous branch of govt: with lifetime appointments and no political accountability, any five-member majority of this nine-member committee of legal mandarins can reshape entire swaths of the legal, cultural, political, and economic landscape as they please.  That is not what SCOTUS was originally meant to do.

But what basis would have to be extant for this to even come before them?
Hypothetical: a state passes a law banning all abortions. Some liberal who wants her abortion-on-demand files a lawsuit challenging the law.  Trial court renders a verdict, case is appealed to state supreme court by losing side, whoever loses there appeals to SCOTUS, SCOTUS agrees to hear the case.  Five or more Justices agree to uphold the law.  BAM: states may now outlaw abortion.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:27:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is why I voted for trump
View Quote
This and 2A for me. SCOTUS is gonna be stacked red.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:30:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I hate to tell you all, but Roe isn't going anywhere, neither is gay marriage.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've always contended the same with regard to Roe V Wade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As much as I am against the murdering of unborn children.  

Roe v Wade is unlikely to be overturned even with 9 conservatives on the court.  To many lies and untruths surround that case for it ever to be given another chance.

But an additional conservative to replace Kennedy can be good for many other future cases.  I certainly hope Kennedy really is retiring.
I've always contended the same with regard to Roe V Wade.
The interesting thing about Roe v. Wade in my mind was always the articulation as the "compelling" point of a state's interest in the unborn as at viability outside the mother's womb. As scientific advances continue to be made, and the point of viability moves closer and closer to conception, Roe may essentially become dead letter law anyways. Though, I presume because of cultural shifts in the ensuing years since the decision most states would refuse restrict/limit abortion anyways.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Beat me to it.

I'm happy if he replaces several justices but they don't need to be meddling with Roe V Wade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to win another election in the next 50 years, but dumbfuck Social Conservatives, who define themselves solely on such social matters because economics and voting trends are hard, love to ruin everything.
Beat me to it.

I'm happy if he replaces several justices but they don't need to be meddling with Roe V Wade.
Yeah, no kidding, all the social conservatives causing Hillary to win the last election.....Oh wait
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:34:01 AM EDT
[#12]
While he may not have particpated in Roe since that happened before he was appointed, he definitely screwed us in Abramski in 2014.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The interesting thing about Roe v. Wade in my mind was always the articulation as the "compelling" point of a state's interest in the unborn as at viability outside the mother's womb. As scientific advances continue to be made, and the point of viability moves closer and closer to conception, Roe may essentially become dead letter law anyways. Though, I presume because of cultural shifts in the ensuing years since the decision most states would refuse restrict/limit abortion anyways.
View Quote
Therein lay the salience.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote
hahaahahahha!  

first comment is a classic:

"Kennedy WILL retire, Ginsburg is half-dead and will die soon. How many forms of cancer has she had, and why didn't she mercifully move to New Zeland like she promised? Times they are a changing, and the WaPo is a humiliating embarrassment. journalism dies in fakeness."

which one of you is this?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:42:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's not like she didn't win the popular vote.

Homophobes, War on Drugs, and Anti abortionists cost a lot of votes that they don't need to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beat me to it.

Yeah, no kidding, all the social conservatives causing Hillary to win the last election.....Oh wait
It's not like she didn't win the popular vote.

Homophobes, War on Drugs, and Anti abortionists cost a lot of votes that they don't need to.
Yeah man I get it.  We also lost the house and the senate because of those pesky social conservatives..........Oh wait.

I think it would be better if we passed laws where social conservatives cannot vote.  They will have to take a social issue test and if they don't pass they can't vote.  Maybe then conservatives can start winning back the House, Senate, Presidency, state governorship's, state legislatures.  All those losses the conservatives have faced because of those pesky social conservatives.  terrible I tell you.  I was amazed at the losses at the state level because of those horrible social conservatives sticking to their principles, who needs that in society.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As much as I am against the murdering of unborn children.  

Roe v Wade is unlikely to be overturned even with 9 conservatives on the court.  To many lies and untruths surround that case for it ever to be given another chance.

But an additional conservative to replace Kennedy can be good for many other future cases.  I certainly hope Kennedy really is retiring.
View Quote
I agree
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:47:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
hahaahahahha!  

"Kennedy WILL retire, Ginsburg is half-dead and will die soon. How many forms of cancer has she had, and why didn't she mercifully move to New Zeland like she promised? Times they are a changing, and the WaPo is a humiliating embarrassment. journalism dies in fakeness."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
hahaahahahha!  

That thing is already a corpse.  Some kind of Satanism is keeping it moving.   Maybe those spirit cooking the liberal democrats follow actually work?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#19]
MAGA!
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm SO glad that the Democrats already forced the nuclear option into play.

View Quote
I'm still amazed the Rs used it.  I would have lost a lot of money betting on that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:50:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Will this be the official thread?

Just a hunch, look for Trump to nominate a Black judge.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Kek wills it. Shadilay.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:53:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That thing is already a corpse.  Some kind of Satanism is keeping it moving.   Maybe those spirit cooking the liberal democrats follow actually work?
View Quote
Think "Weekend At Bernie's"
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Can you imagine the great flood of liberal tears if Trump replaced him and Ginsberg with 2 young Constitutionalist judges?
View Quote
I can imagine my shit eating grin.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
Washington Post = Jeff Bezos' Angry Anti-Trump Blog.  It fucking sucks.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:58:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Washington Post = Jeff Bezos' Angry Anti-Trump Blog.  It fucking sucks.
View Quote
Yep
Bring on the Meltdown
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Fuck yes!
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:01:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wouldn't there have to be a case with some sort of legal standing be submitted to the court for there to even be a chance for Roe to be overturned? What legal standing could one use to bring such a case? 
View Quote
A consevative state could pass a law that clearly violates Roe v. Wade and just wait to be sued.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:01:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm not tired of the WINNING yet, anyone else?
View Quote
I'll hold off cheering until after the new nominee is announced. I could see Kennedy demanding a wishy washy replacement like himself or he won't retire. If he is demanding a replacement like himself he puts Trump in a tough position. If Trump doesn't give in and Kennedy stays on the court it most likely will give the Democrat the chance to replace him in the future. If Trump gives into his demand he will give the never Trumpers ammo.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:04:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I hope he picks hardiman.
View Quote
Who is the Hardiman of which you speak

Googled him yep he'll work
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:10:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
this x 1000

If the Republicans want to give the Dems 50 seats in the midterms as the Dems hope, all they need to do is start talking about reversing Roe v Wade.  It would be no different than if a conservative justice was leaving and Obama started talking about appointing a justice to over turn the courts opinion that "the Second Amendment is an individual right" making it a government right, and pushing to ban all guns.  That is how big of an issue this is.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this x 1000

Nobody... and I mean NOBODY on the Right is talking about overturning Roe v Wade.

It's just another Liberal scare tactic that worked during the election to convince a large number of fucking morons that "Trump wants to ban abortion and birth control" just like "Trump hates black people", "Trump will ban gay marriage", and "Trump wants to kick all foreigners out of the country."  Those nitwits dream up the worst possible shit and claim they're actual attributes of the person they hate... then they keep repeating it with all their dumbass Liberal friends until every dumbass Liberal believes the same dumbass shit that was never true to begin with.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

There is a Latin term which I can't remember but it basically means let the decision stand and it's a principle that the SCOTUS works under.

Essentially it is intended to make sure that future SCOTUS sessions don't reverse standing decisions.  The only way that Row v Wade could be imapacted--see that I didn't say reversed--would be for new cases to come along that chip away at the edges.

But as I understand it, abortion will always be legal due to Roe v Wade.  There will never be a time when abortions will be illegal in America again.

That's how I remember constitutional law from college because we discussed this very case.
View Quote
Stare decisis.

The problem is it only works if the actual real live humans sitting on the court abide by it. We know from experience that the liberal judges will ignore precedent when it suits them. All we would need is conservative judges who were willing to do the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:16:32 AM EDT
[#37]
This would be wonderful news, indeed!

I doubt Roe will be overturned, but it should be - the Court failed to honor the principle of Federalism when deciding the case, resulting in a gradual degradation of the authority of the several States. What is worse, the claim of power on behalf of the national government at the expense of the States is unequally applied; you may travel to New York City to kill your unborn child, but you cannot carry your pistol there.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Until Kennedy announces he is retiring all the speculation is just pure BS. For how many years have the pundits been claiming Ginsburg was retiring? She is all but a wasted corpse but still there.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:19:04 AM EDT
[#39]
You guys need to remember that ABORTIONS AND GAY MARRIAGE WERE NOT ILLEGAL BEFORE THE SCOTUS DECISIONS.  IT WAS UP TO THE INDIVIDUAL STATE - PER THE CONSTITUTION.

The SCOTUS decisions are violations of the 10th Amendment.

Overturning Roe v Wade and Gay marriage will not make abortion and gay same sex marriage illegal, it will simply give that decision back to the states, PER THE CONSTITUTION.

Sure, I understand the political implications, and maybe it's smarter to not touch these two cases, but if you follow the Constitution, these two cases should be overturned.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#40]
I'll believe it when I see it
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Continuing in that vein:

But what basis would have to be extant for this to even come before them?
View Quote
Yes. Does anybody really think that if liberals had a decisive majority on the court, they'd honor Heller lol?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I hate to tell you all, but Roe isn't going anywhere, neither is gay marriage.
View Quote
I don't think so, either. Nevertheless, a better justice is still better.

Hoping for Ginsburg to fall over next.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:21:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Liberal politicians and activists lie to their base to stir them up with hate, anger and fear. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Roe v Wade was settled in the early 70's. Kennedy was confirmed in the late 1980's..why the talk about Roe vs Wade with him?
Liberal politicians and activists lie to their base to stir them up with hate, anger and fear. 
Then conservatives shit the bed by fulfilling their fears.    Abortion is to the left what gun control is to the right.  They will dig in and fight it tooth and nail to the bitter end.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That's not how fear mongering works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wouldn't there have to be a case with some sort of legal standing be submitted to the court for there to even be a chance for Roe to be overturned? What legal standing could one use to bring such a case? 
That's not how fear mongering works.
They need to sell more pink cunt hats too. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The Latin phrase is "stare decisis."  It is a principle of giving deference to prior opinions, but there are numerous examples of the Court overturning prior decisions.  Once a decision is rendered it is not thereafter forever engraved in stone.  See, for example, Plessy v. Ferguson and Brown v. Board of Education.

Kennedy leaving isn't a huge win in my mind.  The vast majority of the time he casts his vote against government restrictions.  Some call him left-leaning because when he applies this to things like gay marriage he says government shouldn't be able to restrict two consenting adults from calling themselves married and, therefore, if the state is going to recognize marriages it has to recognize them all.  But he also was on the pro-gun side in Heller and McDonald, he votes for limiting search and seizure, is dubious of government overreach in things like environmental protection regulations, riled the "liberals" by voting against government restrictions on speech in Citizens United, etc.  

Edit: I can't think this morning.
View Quote
Even if Kennedy was another Scalia, simply getting to replace him with a much younger conservative would be a huge win.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It would be great if he gets to do skeletor too.
View Quote
Breyer turns 79 in August. He's no spring chicken either.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:25:28 AM EDT
[#47]

When we have these posts and I twist my mental Rollodex to come up with a suitable person Condolelezza Rice pops into mind. I suppose without a law degree that would be unlikely . I like and respect her and wish we could get her back into public service.

Whenever my liberal friends start giving me a hard time about my conservative values and try to claim I don't like hilldog or Polozi because I am afraid to vote/support for a woman I toss out Rice and tell them I would support her for any Govt job or public office
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

When we have these posts and I twist my mental Rollodex to come up with a suitable person Condolelezza Rice pops into mind. 
View Quote
NO!
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#50]
come on Bader-Ginsburg, you can quit too, better to take retirement than to die in the saddle .............Quit Ruth, you can do it quit.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top