Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/24/2017 12:43:31 AM EDT
So my mom needed a cat put down. She's had vets give many injections for pets before and found it just expensive and very alarming to the pets, compared to a bullet to the head, usually the back of the head.

So... 9mm. My mom wants at least two shots used, just in case.

I get the cat laying down and looking away and shoot the back of the head. Goes down, then another shot to the head. Good hits best I could tell externally.

At this point, is starts thrashing, kinda robotically, with blood coming out the ears. This is flinging blood everywhere. Shoes got sprayed. A lot of red grass after. Cat thrashed for at least 30 seconds, if not more like 45 even. Put one more round into the heart after ~15 seconds of thrashing, trying to drain some blood pressure so it would stop, and to assure my mom it was truly dead. She watched the whole thing.

Second cat I've shot, and they both did this thrashing. So am I messing it up?

My dad and I assured her it's just the nervous system firing due to a destroyed brain. That it's really dead.

Is there a way to avoid the thrashing in the future, because it makes a hell of a scene...
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:46:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I put two cats down once, they thrashed like crazy. Put the bullet in the back of the head like you did.

In hindsight I think the bullet shoulda gone just above between the eyes for a clean brainpan shot.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:48:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Is there a way to avoid the thrashing in the future, because it makes a hell of a scene...
View Quote

Yes, it's called having the cat euthanized. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:49:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
A way that doesn't panic the animal though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:49:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:50:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Nerves I'm betting. Strung three shots across a coyote last week two to the torso and one to the head. Animal was completely hollow but still trying to get up. It always creeps me out.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:51:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:51:54 AM EDT
[#7]
IBTL

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:52:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So my mom needed a cat put down. She's had vets give many injections for pets before and found it just expensive and very alarming to the pets, compared to a bullet to the head, usually the back of the head.
So... 9mm. My mom wants at least two shots used, just in case.
I get the cat laying down and looking away and shoot the back of the head. Goes down, then another shot to the head. Good hits best I could tell externally.
At this point, is starts thrashing, kinda robotically, with blood coming out the ears. This is flinging blood everywhere. Shoes got sprayed. A lot of red grass after. Cat thrashed for at least 30 seconds, if not more like 45 even. Put one more round into the heart after ~15 seconds of thrashing, trying to drain some blood pressure so it would stop, and to assure my mom it was truly dead. She watched the whole thing.
Second cat I've shot, and they both did this thrashing. So am I messing it up?
My dad and I assured her it's just the nervous system firing due to a destroyed brain. That it's really dead.
View Quote
Wear shoe covers?

How many cats do you plan on putting down in the next couple of months?
Next time, try a .410 slug to the the front of the skull above the eyes. That's how it is done for deer. YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:53:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You asked how to avoid the thrashing. I told you how to avoid the thrashing. 

I guess you could shotgun the cat instead. Don't think it'll do much twitching after a 3" magnum buck shell. Probably a hell of a mess to clean up though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:54:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How many cats do you plan on putting down in the next couple of months?
View Quote
Also this. What's going on with your moms cats OP? She have a bunch of barn cats or something? 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:56:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
While driving a back road in KY late one evening a fox jumped into the road.  Ran right over his head.  DRT.

He thrashed on the ground for a solid 60 seconds.

I don't think there is a magical way of doing this that guarantees that they won't thrash around.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:57:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You hit too high in the brain.  You need to get the low brain, as it will result in an immediate slumping over, and not a twitch.  Basically aim where the head joins the neck.  Or so I've heard.  <==== for the benefit of the PETA-tards, in an effort to avoid the shrieks and wailing.

Oh, and in virtually all jurisdictions it is perfectly legal to use a bullet to euthanize an animal, so long as it's legal to discharge the firearm wherever it's done.
View Quote
This too. I'm pretty sure in most mammals (including humans) the motor control center is located at the rear-base of the brain, around where the spinal cord comes through the base of the skull. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:59:26 AM EDT
[#13]
9mm vs .45 thread?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:59:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:59:54 AM EDT
[#15]
In my experience, the only animal that crappie flops worse than a headless chicken is a brain-shot cat.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:00:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Minnesota is central time right?  

That means it's not even caturday there yet.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:05:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Reason #87 why I'll never own a cat 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:06:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I head shot a feral cat one time with a suppressed .22

The round enter above the left eye and the cat thrashed around for a good 30 or 40 seconds.  No blood flying everywhere but it did unload a ton of urine just spraying while thrashing around.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:08:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Nitrogen asphyxiation is quick and painless for people - probably the same for other mammals like cats.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:11:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I had a stray cat in my barn that would shit out 6 kittens a year, most of which would get hit by cars and die.. Well I decided to shut down the kitten factory... Caught her out by the garden one night, grabbed my .17 hmr, pulled up putted kittys head in the cross hairs, and touched off a round... Cat jumped no shit 6 feet in the air, and did a few back flips, landed and started spinning in circles... So, I took a center of mass shot... watched guts fly out the side of kitteh.... Kitty stopped spinning and ran at me hissing.. took one more shot to ground her... My yard looked like a crime scene... kitty had about 5 gallons of blood in her... Now I have 2 german shepherds... No more stray cats, or well anything in my yard...
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:13:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:16:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nitrogen asphyxiation is quick and painless for people - probably the same for other mammals like cats.
View Quote
Came to post this.

They Canadians use CO2 on their fois gras birds.

Be careful with the Nitrogen though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:18:25 AM EDT
[#23]
I've shot them in the front between their eyes and from behind and they all but one did the funky chicken for about 20-30 seconds. The one that didn't move was a feral that I shot while he was walking away from me in the deer stand. I hit him right at the back of the skull with a hot loaded 130 grain .270 round. DRT
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:20:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Ive shot a few feral tomcats that harrased the female feral cat that adopded me.

What i learned was that for every one pound of feral tomcat there was at least 1 gallon of blood in it.   5 pound cat=at least 5 gallons of blood.

At least it seemed that way after I noggin shot em after a good snow.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:23:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:29:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I can see it now, walking into a welding shop with a burlap sack...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Came to post this.

You can go get it done at a auto shop

Step 1. Put cat in car tire
Step 2. Bring tire to station to get filled with nitrogen
Step 3. Remove uthanized cat from tire.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:30:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:30:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:32:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Step 4:  Remove 6 lbs of wheel weights on other side of wheel after they balanced it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Came to post this.

Step 4:  Remove 6 lbs of wheel weights on other side of wheel after they balanced it.
lol tru Dat

About 2 years ago I went to the vet to put my dog down, it was like $300
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:33:00 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't know why I'm laughing so hard at some of these.

Mrs CWG and her Catshit Crazy Mom think putting your own pets down is a horrific concept.

They also think its totally normal to spend 3-10k extending the suffering filled life of an elderly rescued pet.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:35:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is that why my car smells really bad and makes this "thump thump thump thump" sound when I'm driving down the road ?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:35:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Came to post this.

View Quote
The panic associated with asphyxiation comes from the body sensing CO2 buildup in your system...
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:36:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Came to post this.

I am glad I finished my drink when I read this .
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:37:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've shot them in the front between their eyes and from behind and they all but one did the funky chicken for about 20-30 seconds. The one that didn't move was a feral that I shot while he was walking away from me in the deer stand. I hit him right at the back of the skull with a hot loaded 130 grain .270 round. DRT
View Quote
This settles it .270 is the minimum caliber needed for cats .
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:51:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
"Not even caturday yet" got me
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:00:39 AM EDT
[#36]
I've killed a couple of feral cats when I was living in a rural area and every one has thrashed and screamed like mad.  The first one gave me the creeps so bad I didn't sleep good for a week because every time I shut my eyes I'd see and hear that damn cat.  I killed a feral dog once that had bitten a couple of local kids and it was almost as bad, but that was a case of not enough caliber and not a good hit.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:03:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Wrap it in duct tape up to it's neck if you do it again.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:08:06 AM EDT
[#38]
10mm next time
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:11:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The panic associated with asphyxiation comes from the body sensing CO2 buildup in your system...
View Quote
Yeah, thats why you exhale before you pull the exit bag over your head.  

Helium or propane are the 2 easiest options for most people to obtain.

I still think a bullet to the head is the most humane option.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:14:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Mrs CWG and her Catshit Crazy Mom think putting your own pets down is a horrific concept.

They also think its totally normal to spend 3-10k extending the suffering filled life of an elderly rescued pet.
View Quote
I spent allot of money trying to do the right thing for my last dog trying to control his seizures.   I had him put dowwn before he was 5 years old.  That was the hardest $75 ive ever spent.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:14:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Crossover with Friday Night Music thread...

The Presidents of United States - Kitty
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:20:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You hit too high in the brain.  You need to get the low brain, as it will result in an immediate slumping over, and not a twitch.  Basically aim where the head joins the neck.  Or so I've heard.  <==== for the benefit of the PETA-tards, in an effort to avoid the shrieks and wailing.

Oh, and in virtually all jurisdictions it is perfectly legal to use a bullet to euthanize an animal, so long as it's legal to discharge the firearm wherever it's done.
View Quote
You may be right ...

I put down an old Feral cat - head on shot.  22LR round nose ( I usually use HP's ) bullet entered near center of nose bridge, then entered brain from front. Exited low back of head. He dropped - absolutely no movement.

I've put down other sick cats ( .22 ) and they did the " funky chicken " for 30 secs or so. These were angled - center head shots from top - to exit center
jaw - in front of trachea.

This year, I've trapped and put down 10 coons, they all did the funky chicken for 15 - 30 secs.  These fuckers are hard to place, as they always want to stare / dare the adversary.

I'll try the " low brain shot " next time and let ya know.  

Perfect placement should drop them like a brick.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:37:27 AM EDT
[#43]
yep, Nitrogen. It's extremely fast. I work around it everyday.

Just ask Nurse Betty.

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:37:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Like this, but you'll still get the occasional flopper.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:40:55 AM EDT
[#45]
OTOH - This Bobcat didn't even twitch after being shot... with a 7mm mag.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:41:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Dang
this thread hardcore

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:46:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I spent allot of money trying to do the right thing for my last dog trying to control his seizures.   I had him put dowwn before he was 5 years old.  That was the hardest $75 ive ever spent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang. I have an ancient cavi-spaniel thing that was turning tricks for 15 years straight. No teeth, borderline blind, etc. I figured we would give her a warm bed and good chow for a couple years and then feed her a nice steak and flip her switch out back.

Apparently rescuing old dogs involves 30 dollars a month in pills and everything I own smelling like old lady piss until even medicine can't keep her alive anymore.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:57:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Dang
this thread hardcore

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Dang
this thread hardcore

Quoted:
Like this, but you'll still get the occasional flopper.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51036/cat-237639.JPG
Thanks Firebird.

The Vets want about $100 bucks to put a dog down here ( HOU area ).

" Back in the old days " My Grandpaw's conclusion was that the animal was the owners responsibility.

" If you don't have what it takes from birth to death - you don't deserve to have one.  You feed him, raise him, and put him down when it's time. "

Think about this for a sec.

Do you wanna go out with a lightening bolt - or die slowly with shit in your pants, and food on your face?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:06:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Dang. I have an ancient cavi-spaniel thing that was turning tricks for 15 years straight. No teeth, borderline blind, etc. I figured we would give her a warm bed and good chow for a couple years and then feed her a nice steak and flip her switch out back.

Apparently rescuing old dogs involves 30 dollars a month in pills and everything I own smelling like old lady piss until even medicine can't keep her alive anymore.
View Quote
The dog had cluster seizures.  Its not fun to attempt to treat.

At one point i think i had 1500 2mg vallium in the house cuz the pharmacy didnt have anything more potent.

Those pills dont last long when you have to give the dog 20 pills for every grand mal seizure and they go on every hour for 24 to 27 hours.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:42:43 AM EDT
[#50]
I think there's another cat in the near future.

My mom volunteered lots at an animal shelter when I was littler, and drug me along with for a bit of it. But she got most of her pets during those years. Most are old, and most have lived 15+ years.

After seeing the times we took them to the vet to be put down... I'm NOT a fan. Once I had a wounded house dog on my lap the whole 20 minute drive into down while it cried, after it got hit by a car. Crushed its pelvis and rear legs. So after all that time and suffering, paid big money to get it put down.

I think taking an animal in just to be put down by a stranger is the coldest thing you can do. Especially those people who won't be there for it. And especially for those owners who rake them through the hell with pain and suffering before doing it.

Also think it's shitty to do it because you don't want them any more.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top