BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And a tax paying citizen, I see it is the lowest form of laziness.

How many cases does your burglary division close? That's police work, but it's too hard to actually take prints, track down burglars, and recover stolen goods.
View Quote
There's no money in it.

A hard charging traffic unit can fatten the general fund faster than most people realize
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Fortunately my State is one of the few that still has a well managed pension fund.  The legislature can't raid it at will.

Besides I have my VA Disability to fall back on
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask the Dallas officers how secure their pensions are right now. Good luck!
Fortunately my State is one of the few that still has a well managed pension fund.  The legislature can't raid it at will.

Besides I have my VA Disability to fall back on
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No.
It's exactly like 40xb said.
There is the radio call available to listen to him saying why he was gonna pull the car over, he even asked for backup, since he thought the guy matched the description.
All of that evidence is out there to read and listen to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Y'all need to learn how to disagree without calling names (I know, I know....this is GD).

The author stated an opinion that was, in essence, minor traffic violation stops while occasionally productive are more often than not more trouble than they are worth to the routine patrol cop who will have to contend with an increasingly high wave of negative public opinion, among other problems, should something go wrong during the stop. 

That's a fair point, based in part his policing experience.  I didn't read him as saying to never make a pretext stop, but rather to think hard about whether it was worth it under the circumstances. 
The author is an idiot then.

He was pulled over for matching the description of an armed robbery suspect and the taillight was used as PC to make the stop and investigate.
The bank robbery was 4 days prior. Also wasn't it reported immediately after the shooting that Yanez had pulled him over before for traffic stops and knew him?
No.
There is the radio call available to listen to him saying why he was gonna pull the car over, he even asked for backup, since he thought the guy matched the description.
The State Patrol asked the public two days prior to the shooting for help in finding the robbery suspects. If Yanez was responding to a BOLO it was days old.
ETA The robbery was days earlier.
The robbery was July 2, the shooting July 6.
http://www.startribune.com/lawyer-castile-pulled-over-because-he-matched-robbery-suspect/386221031/
According to the article Castile had been pulled over 50 times since 2002, given 86 tickets with over half of them dismissed. He was no stranger to being pulled over. Unknown is how long he had his CCW permit.
Just wondering how come he hadn't had been shot before if he had reached for his CCW permit and DL immediately when stopped in so many prior incidents. It is not inconievable that Yanez has pulled him over before in that small burg with so many prior traffic stiops.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Dear police in my town,
  Please continue to do exactly what you are doing exactly like you are doing it. We law abiding citizen's truely appreciate what you do for us. Please do not fall for all this pantywaist snowflake bullshit.
  Please do not worry about wether these worthless drug smoking dirtbags like you or not. Also know that if you ever get in trouble out there just look for a blue mark on a curb...these are the homes of well armed people that have your back. We believe in law and order and very much want to live in a society that has both. Do not get disheartened by what appears to be a growing number really worthless people that have never done nor will ever do a single thing for this great country yet still think they get an opinion on how it should be run. I and my fellow patriotic Americans understand that you have voluntarily placed yourself between the good people and the trash and we thank you for it.  

Our prayers are with you.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#5]
According to this article http://www.startribune.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-castile-s-death-and-case-against-yanez/425301024/
Yanez asked for his DL and Insurance card, Castile handed him the insurance card, then gave him notice he had a gun and then reached for what was probably his wallet with DL and CCW permit, Yanez yelled don't pull your gun, and Castile said it's not my gun then Yanez started shooting.
Castile's last words, it wasn't my gun.
Yanez pulled the trigger too quick!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The State Patrol asked the public two days prior to the shooting for help in finding the robbery suspects. If Yanez was responding to a BOLO it was days old.
http://www.startribune.com/lawyer-castile-pulled-over-because-he-matched-robbery-suspect/386221031/
According to the article Castile had been pulled over 50 times since 2002, given 86 tickets with over half of them dismissed. He was no stranger to being pulled over. Unknown is how long he had his CCW permit.
Just wondering how come he hadn't had been shot before if he had reached for his CCW permit and DL immediately when stopped in so many prior incidents. It is not inconievable that Yanez has pulled him over before in that small burg with so many prior traffic stiops.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Y'all need to learn how to disagree without calling names (I know, I know....this is GD).

The author stated an opinion that was, in essence, minor traffic violation stops while occasionally productive are more often than not more trouble than they are worth to the routine patrol cop who will have to contend with an increasingly high wave of negative public opinion, among other problems, should something go wrong during the stop. 

That's a fair point, based in part his policing experience.  I didn't read him as saying to never make a pretext stop, but rather to think hard about whether it was worth it under the circumstances. 
The author is an idiot then.

He was pulled over for matching the description of an armed robbery suspect and the taillight was used as PC to make the stop and investigate.
The bank robbery was 4 days prior. Also wasn't it reported immediately after the shooting that Yanez had pulled him over before for traffic stops and knew him?
No.
Can you show me a picture of a gas station clerk you talked to 3 years ago? 2 years? 1? How about 6 months?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're asking for speculation and what I gave you were facts.
In the interview with BAC, (paraphrasing) Yanez said he had no prior known contact with Phil.

I think Diamond said the same thing about the officers in her BAC interview, but I'm not 100% sure on that...not gonna listen to the interview again
Backup officer when interviewed with BAC, also said no prior contact with Phil, that he could recall.

Regarding why respond to a days old bolo, not sure, maybe cause the guy hadn't been caught yet, dunno.. ask Yanez.
Regarding why was Phil not shot during prior stops, dunno, but I would guess that this was his first stop when he was being eyed as a possible robbery suspect.

My question to you, when do you stop looking for a robbery suspect, is there a time limit ?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
According to this article http://www.startribune.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-castile-s-death-and-case-against-yanez/425301024/
Yanez asked for his DL and Insurance card, Castile handed him the insurance card, then gave him notice he had a gun and then reached for what was probably his wallet with DL and CCW permit, Yanez yelled don't pull your gun, and Castile said it's not my gun then Yanez started shooting.
View Quote
All the BAC interviews are available to read online, including what the jury was not allowed to review.
So why base your opinion on a news article ?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
And no one ever lied to a cop about what tehy were doing...

Please take some use of force training, then come tell me how he pulled the trigger too quickly.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"Sir I have a firearm"

My typical responses

"Cool me too.."
"What kind ?"
"Don't reach for yours and won't reach for mine"

And the more common

"Ok, license and insurance "
View Quote
I HATE having to disclose. The last two times I was pulled over, the cops had their guns nearly cleared of leather over it.

Makes me paranoid as fuck.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My question to you, when do you stop looking for a robbery suspect, is there a time limit ?
View Quote
There is no time limit but there is diminishing chances of apprehension in just a day or two.
My question to you - how many mistaken robbery suspects are shot and killed in a pretext traffic stop every year?
There is a problem in this situation - Yanez shot an innocent man.
That is not easily dismissed as the dead man's fault. He didn't have a gun in his hand and was not threatening the cop that killed him.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All the BAC interviews are available to read online, including what the jury was not allowed to review.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You didn't read the news article because it was taken from the dash cam video.
Also, the judge in the case refused to let the jury hear the BAC interviews.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And a tax paying citizen, I see it is the lowest form of laziness.

How many cases does your burglary division close? That's police work, but it's too hard to actually take prints, track down burglars, and recover stolen goods.
View Quote
Holy fuck. The ignorance of your comment is hilarious.

The art of finding seemingly normal cars filled with sketchy individuals up to no good takes a shit ton of practice and some of my best arrests stem from them.

That burglary suspect you're bitching about? Ya, he skipped out after his initial appearance and now someone needs to haul his ass in front of a judge.

Stolen guns? Ya, get plenty of those off of minor traffic violations.

Speak less about things you don't understand.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You really should take some use of force training.  I'd love to see you take a shoot no shoot video simulator.

Then you will have the answer to the above question, "If he didn't clear leather, how much of a threat could he be?"

Your mindset is understanable but profoundly ignorant.
View Quote
I do. Once a year, whether I want to or not.
How about you?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Please take some use of force training, then come tell me how he pulled the trigger too quickly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have first hand.
I pull the trigger too quick on what I think may be a threat and isn't, I'm going to jail.
That didn't happen in this case.
Show me the history of the dead man where he'd had armed run ins with the law before.
There isn't any or it would have been all over the news from the LE agency's PIO.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We also have the interview of the gf.
She states he was reaching for his right hip, to get wallet, so yes even his own gf said he was reaching.
I heard her say it, and the audio is very clear.
View Quote
To get a wallet, not a gun.

Last I checked, it's not illegal to reach for your wallet.
You heard different?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Meh, we were ordered not to write equipment violations.
View Quote
The only time I've ever written equipment violations is as a "PC" ticket when I find drugs, a drunk, stolen property, etc.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What is your argument for Darrin Wilson in Ferguson then?  Didn't get charged, but went to a grand jury.....and got fired.

Both those can be a result of political pressure....not necessarily and indication of wrong doing
View Quote
Has he been hired by another department?

In that case I believe there was enough physical evidence to support the officer's claim.
But He probably could have prevented it from reaching that level of violence. Maybe policing isn't meant for that guy either.

This case is completely different from that one, yeah?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's not how UoF actually works. Have you ever done UoF training? If so, in what capacity?
View Quote
Yep.  
Have you?

I'm trained threat must have ability, opportunity and you must be in jeopardy.
In that video I identified ability. I did not see opportunity or jeopardy.
Maybe your standards are more relaxed?
You should probably tighten up that shot group.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You didn't read the news article because it was taken from the dash cam video.
Also, the judge in the case refused to let the jury hear the BAC interviews.
View Quote
I have seen the video and everything related to this case that is available, simply because I took an interest in it when it happened.
I have watched the dashcam video numerous times.
And although the interview from Yanez was not given to the jury, the prosecutor did quote portions of it to the court, including the jury.
The jury was denied transcripts due to the prosecutor not putting them in as evidence, they were gonna be saved for closing arguments, that error lies with the prosecutor.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There is no time limit but there is diminishing chances of apprehension in just a day or two.
My question to you - how many mistaken robbery suspects are shot and killed in a pretext traffic stop every year?
That is not easily dismissed as the dead man's fault. He didn't have a gun in his hand and was not threatening the cop that killed him.
View Quote
Regarding the mistaken robbery suspects being shot question:
I don't know and I don't care, why are you asking me, look up the stats yourself sir.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:53:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Its all bullshit I would prefer less LEO = lower taxes.  

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You heard different?
View Quote
You know better than this Mr Castle.

I stated what she said, she also talked about how he was moving to get more comfortable because of the pistol.
She even demonstrated to BAC where it was and how he wore it.
Her interview did not help to contradict what Yanez said he was seeing..(in my opinion)
That may have been why she was so vocal about everything, cause she was watching a shit show unfolding right in front of her...(once again my opinion)
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
You think robbery suspects are smart? You think they don't roll around in the hood after hitting a lick? I've assisted in arrests when the suspect had on the same clothes 3 days after the offense.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You think robbery suspects are smart? You think they don't roll around in the hood after hitting a lick? I've assisted in arrests when the suspect had on the same clothes 3 days after the offense.
View Quote
A TN Trooper stopped a car wanted in an armed robbery. Laying on the back seat was the DVR and Disk from the store they took. On the disk was the full robbery in color with sound...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I stated what she said, she also talked about how he was moving to get more comfortable because of the pistol.
Her interview did not help to contradict what Yanez said he was seeing..(in my opinion)
That may have been why she was so vocal about everything, cause she was watching a shit show unfolding right in front of her...(once again my opinion)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You heard different?

Hell in the interview she said the reason he was having trouble getting his wallet out was because the gun was interfering with his ability to get it. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hell in the interview she said the reason he was having trouble getting his wallet out was because the gun was interfering with his ability to get it. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You heard different?

Shhh, don't ruin it man.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well, I made it this far--

The guy is FOS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Well, I made it this far--

That is the predictable result of poor training, possibly combined with poor hiring practices on the part of Officer Yanez’ agency.  People prone to panic should not be hired as cops.  All cops should be given quality force on force training so that they know how to handle incidents like this without reflexively firing their weapons in abject fear.  Unfortunately, both problems are likely to persist in the face of ever-shrinking government budgets.
The guy is FOS.
lol
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
K.
She speaks for him? Because I didn't hear her saying anything in the video other than "he's not reaching for it".
How he wore his gun is irrelevant.

Did he present the ability, opportunity and jeopardy to cause Yanez grave bodily harm?

I say no.

His department agrees.

We'll see how the civil suit goes.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The problem is the training. Police come out of training with a us against them mentality. After a couple of years on the job most out grow that and become human beings again
View Quote
I have a friend who is retired county cop. I heard from everybody around what a prick he was.

For some reason, I never had any issues with him and he even cleared things up for me with other cops twice.

We were just sitting around up at the corner store shooting the shit one early morning a few years back and the subject of his rep came up.

He said that he fell into the trap that a lot of cops do and that was trying to prove how big an ass you can be for the first few years and then it takes the rest of your career to prove you're not really that big an asshole.

I could see that happening I guess.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
K.

Where was the intent?
Where was the jeopardy?

Otherwise that puts every CCW in danger of being shot by the police.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Those that can...do.  Those that can't....teach.  

Stupid article.
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#35]
When I was working out in the sticks, it was a foregone conclusion that everyone I pulled over had a gun on them - permitted and not.

I just made casual convo as I ran their info. If they seemed overly sketchy or nervous, then my red flags would go up. If warrants came back, then duh, we're going to have an interesting day.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:05:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

K.
She speaks for him? Because I didn't hear her saying anything in the video other than "he's not reaching for it".

Yes, in that interview she was answering questions regarding him.

How he wore his gun is irrelevant.

That is an opinion, when you are reaching towards your firearm after being told not to, well that causes problems.

Did he present the ability, opportunity and jeopardy to cause Yanez grave bodily harm?

My opinion, is yes, yes, and unsure.

I say no.

His department agrees.

You know, he was not fired, he left with a form of severance on his own.
The news articles got that wrong.

We'll see how the civil suit goes.

The civil matter is of no concern to me.
I had an interest in the incident.
View Quote
See above in italics.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Back to OJ, once there was any evidence of tampering by the law/state it should automatically provide a bit of reasonable doubt regarding someones quilt or innocence.
View Quote
there was no tampering in the OJ case, sloppy work yes, but no tampering.  You should read what the jurors said years after about why they found OJ not guilty.  Hint: it had nothing to do with the evidence.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The best writing I've seen on the Philando Castile shooting:

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/the-philando-castile-shooting-and-some-advice-for-my-cop-readers

and guaranteed to annoy everyone
View Quote

I don't know.... I kinda agree with pretty much everything he wrote.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Then why was he charged? Why was he fired?
View Quote
Politics.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
From the transcript of the vedeo. Have you actually watched it?

JY Hello sir. 
PC (inaudible), how are you? 
JY Good. Uh reason I pulled you over do you, your brake lights are out. So you only have oneactivated, active brake light and that's gonna be your passenger side one. Your third brakeEight which is up here on top and then this one back here is gonna be out. 
PC (inaudible) 
JY You have your license and insurance?(pause/background noise) 
PC Sir, I have to teil you I do have a... 
JY Okay. 
PC ...firearm on me. 
JY Okay. 
PC I (inaudible) 
JY Don't reach for it then. 
PC I'm, 1,1 was reaching for... 
JY Don't pull it out. 
PC I'm not pulling it out. 
DR He's not... 
JY Don't puii it out.(gunshots) 
DR You just killed my boyfriend 
PC I wasn't reaching ... 
DR He wasn't reaching. .. 
JY Don't pull it out!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
From the transcript of the vedeo. Have you actually watched it?

JY Hello sir. 
PC (inaudible), how are you? 
JY Good. Uh reason I pulled you over do you, your brake lights are out. So you only have oneactivated, active brake light and that's gonna be your passenger side one. Your third brakeEight which is up here on top and then this one back here is gonna be out. 
PC (inaudible) 
JY You have your license and insurance?(pause/background noise) 
PC Sir, I have to teil you I do have a... 
JY Okay. 
PC ...firearm on me. 
JY Okay. 
PC I (inaudible) 
JY Don't reach for it then. 
PC I'm, 1,1 was reaching for... 
JY Don't pull it out. 
PC I'm not pulling it out. 
DR He's not... 
JY Don't puii it out.(gunshots) 
DR You just killed my boyfriend 
PC I wasn't reaching ... 
DR He wasn't reaching. .. 
JY Don't pull it out!
View Quote
Pretty obvious emo snowflake cop over-reacted.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You heard different?
View Quote
It is if I tell you don't reach for it and you're legally detained in a traffic stop.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Politics.
View Quote
Horseshit.

If that's the case he should sue his department for wrongful termination.

Try again.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It is if I tell you don't reach for it and you're legally detained in a traffic stop.
View Quote
Was he being detained?

If so the cop should have had him out of the car and cuffed.

Also he said he wasn't reaching for his gun.

Try again.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Blaaaaaaa Blaaaa Blaaaa.... Typical armchair Monday morning quarterbacking......
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

See above in italics.
View Quote
She's not qualified to answer for the deceased, is she?

If a cop shoots and kills you in front me can I answer for you?

Can I speak to your intent?

Seriously, I'm asking.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Its all bullshit I would prefer less LEO = lower taxes.  
View Quote
Not in your state.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Was he being detained?

Try again.
View Quote
You're either a troll or a functional idiot and should not carry a gun for self-defense because you don't understand the law.  As soon as the red lights go on, you're detained.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You're either a troll or a functional idiot and should not carry a gun for self-defense because you don't understand the law.  As soon as the red lights go on, you're detained.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was he being detained?

Try again.
Answer one question
Would you have shot the guy?
Simple yes or no
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That is a foolish comment.

Guy says he is lawfully armed.  Good, no problem.  Cop didn't seem to mind at all.

Guy says he is not reaching for it.  Means absolutely nothing.  People "say things" all the time that are directly different than what they are actually doing.

People that resist arrest are often recorded as hollering "I'm not resisting" while they plainly are resisting.

All the guy had to do was to quit reaching for his firearm when repeatedly told to do so and we wouldn't have ever heard of this incident.  But he didn't follow instructions and the officer rationally felt his life was in danger and responded as he did.

Also, the author of that article kept mentioning "poor training".  I saw nothing to support that supposition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he honestly thought a guy who declared he was lawfully armed and said he was not reaching for it, a threat to his life, then he had no business being a cop in the first place.
That is a foolish comment.

Guy says he is lawfully armed.  Good, no problem.  Cop didn't seem to mind at all.

Guy says he is not reaching for it.  Means absolutely nothing.  People "say things" all the time that are directly different than what they are actually doing.

People that resist arrest are often recorded as hollering "I'm not resisting" while they plainly are resisting.

All the guy had to do was to quit reaching for his firearm when repeatedly told to do so and we wouldn't have ever heard of this incident.  But he didn't follow instructions and the officer rationally felt his life was in danger and responded as he did.

Also, the author of that article kept mentioning "poor training".  I saw nothing to support that supposition.
Yep, last turd i dealt with said "i'm not resisting" and then elbowed me in the nose while fighting with him.

If a scrote like Castile tells me he's not doing something, that means he is.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top