Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2017 5:44:07 AM EDT
I'm in the market for a wireless security camera system.

Requirements:

Outdoor rated cameras
Minimum of 2 cameras
Minimum of 720p resolution
Smartphone app for live viewing
Night vision
Less than $300

Thanks for looking and looking forward to all of the recommendations
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:18:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Arlo.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:31:19 AM EDT
[#2]
FPMFNI

First Post Mother Fucking Nailed It

I have a Netgear Arlo setup and love it. Mine came with 3 cameras and was $350 for the whole package but $50 over your budget for an extra camera isn't bad.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:39:10 AM EDT
[#3]
How are they on battery life? I heard they go through batteries pretty fast,is that true?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:45:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How are they on battery life? I heard they go through batteries pretty fast,is that true?
View Quote
Depends on a lot of variables that you can adjust to suite your needs. Picture quality, motion sensitivity level, record time, etc. In addition to that, how many times a camera is activated by motion or how much you manually turn it on to view. I have my driveway camera also covering the road to see who comes and goes so naturally it gets activated a lot so it drains the battery faster but still lasts a few months for me. My camera that gets used the least has probably had one battery change in a year.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:46:20 AM EDT
[#5]
My Arlo system is terrible.
Have used it for close to three months as a driveway camera.

It misses more than it catches.  This week, three cars pulled out of the driveway within two minutes of each other....The camera recorded nothing.

A couple hours later, the lawn service guys pulled in with their truck-trailer-mowers. Again, the Arlo missed everything.

I do have the system properly set up. It does record random events,
but absolutely cannot be relied upon.

Look at another brand. Very disappointing.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:48:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Depends on a lot of variables that you can adjust to suite your needs. Picture quality, motion sensitivity level, record time, etc. In addition to that, how many times a camera is activated by motion or how much you manually turn it on to view. I have my driveway camera also covering the road to see who comes and goes so naturally it gets activated a lot so it drains the battery faster but still lasts a few months for me. My camera that gets used the least has probably had one battery change in a year.
View Quote
Wow that is better than I thought. I have had my eye on the arlo system for awhile but the reviews about battery life have made me gunshy about pulling the trigger on a purchase.

Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:12:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been running four cameras for over 2 years and am very happy with the system. I just added one of the new Pro cameras, which has rechargeable batteries and two way sound.

Hopefully this sample video will work.

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/4915382FF7D4B31D_201706
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:22:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Amcrest, on Amazon. get the dome cameras not the bullets, CCTV, no power issues
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:45:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
FPMFNI

First Post Mother Fucking Nailed It

I have a Netgear Arlo setup and love it. Mine came with 3 cameras and was $350 for the whole package but $50 over your budget for an extra camera isn't bad.
View Quote
If I go this route, I'll probably invest in more rechargeable CR123 batteries and another charger.

Any issues using rechargeables? I normally run Nitecore and Fenix brand rechargeable with my flashlights.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#10]
To the guys with the Arlo system...can you just use them for live view if you want to periodically spot check your house? Does it have a setting to where its only on when you check or will they cameras run constantly on live view and drain the batteries?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:31:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It misses more than it catches.  This week, three cars pulled out of the driveway within two minutes of each other....The camera recorded nothing.
A couple hours later, the lawn service guys pulled in with their truck-trailer-mowers. Again, the Arlo missed everything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Im not trying to dismiss your issues but depending on the distance, how your camera is aimed and the sensitivity level, all of what you describe is possible and potentially fixable. I experienced similar issues until some fine tuning. I will say that I do get somewhat frequent notifications only to find an empty driveway. Sometimes it's a bug, sometimes the wind blows hard and the tree branch sets it off but for the money I paid, I'm pleased with the system.

Quoted:
To the guys with the Arlo system...can you just use them for live view if you want to periodically spot check your house? Does it have a setting to where its only on when you check or will they cameras run constantly on live view and drain the batteries?
When you open the phone app or access your cameras through the website, your cameras will be displayed with a "live" button that you can activate for real time viewing.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:32:55 AM EDT
[#13]
For the Arlo users, can you review and download the local video storage (micro-sd) using the app/web interface?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:36:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wow that is better than I thought. I have had my eye on the arlo system for awhile but the reviews about battery life have made me gunshy about pulling the trigger on a purchase.

Thanks for the info
View Quote
Buy quality batteries and they last.  Put cheap ones not so much.  I love our arlo setup 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If I go this route, I'll probably invest in more rechargeable CR123 batteries and another charger.

Any issues using rechargeables? I normally run Nitecore and Fenix brand rechargeable with my flashlights.
View Quote
I've heard the recharables don't seem to last in the arlo but that may be brand dependent. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes you can.  You can set up modes of operation. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've heard the recharables don't seem to last in the arlo but that may be brand dependent. 
View Quote
What brand batteries do you use?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For the Arlo users, can you review and download the local video storage (micro-sd) using the app/web interface?
View Quote
You manage everything through the app and can download or forward video and record live video if you want.

Also, The system allows you to set up different combination of cameras if you want. For example I use the geofencing feature to automatically activate motion sensing video on all my cameras when I leave home. When I get home the geofencing feature automatically deactivates a camera that I don't need when I'm home in order to save the battery.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Just got an email from Revo yesterday. They just released their wireless set up. I have their 4K wired system and am happy with it.

https://www.revoamerica.com/4-ch-nvr-surveillance-system-with-4-hd-wireless-bullet-cameras-rew41b4g-1t/

4 Channel NVR Surveillance System with 4 HD Wireless Bullet Cameras
REW41B4G-1T
$399.00 $299.00 You Save: $100.00 (25%)

•4 Ch. Wi-Fi Network Video Recorder
•Pre-installed 1 TB Video Surveillance Grade HDD
•2.1 Megapixel Bullet Cameras with 100’ Night Vision (4)
•Up to 1000 Ft Outdoor Wireless Range
•Two-Step Smartphone View Setup – iPhone and Android
•Revowireless.com - Access your NVR from the IE browser

DESCRIPTION
With incredible video quality, ease of use, and powerful networking tools, The Revo Wireless unique design complements any home or business. The Revo Wireless superb video quality is based on IP Wi-Fi technology which brings the power and beauty of digital high definition video and wireless right to the heart of your surveillance. Installation is quick and easy. Wireless video transmission eliminates the hassle of running cables. Plug the 4 CH Wireless Network Video Recorder and camera(s) into a nearby power outlet. The “Auto –Pair” technology will seamlessly pair the camera(s) to the recorder to start streaming HD Video. The Indoor/Outdoor wireless bullet cameras feature 2.1 Megapixel Sensors, double the resolution of standard 720p HD. IR arrays illuminate the scene up to an unprecedented 100' in total darkness. View your Revo Wireless cameras from anywhere. Using the Revo Wireless Mobile Smart Phone app, simply set up an account and then scan your NVRs QR code to begin mobile viewing. Access your Wireless NVR via the web using www.revowireless.com.. View multiple units at once with the help of Revo Wireless CMS.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Nest Cam. I don't like the long ass cords on the outdoor model but over all package easy of use and install makes the extra cash it costs ok. Cloud service cost on storage time and number of cams.

No local storage for me, must be cloud based or me no buy.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You manage everything through the app and can download or forward video and record live video if you want.

Also, The system allows you to set up different combination of cameras if you want. For example I use the geofencing feature to automatically activate motion sensing video on all my cameras when I leave home. When I get home the geofencing feature automatically deactivates a camera that I don't need when I'm home in order to save the battery.
View Quote
That is pretty sweet!
Looks like its $20 cheaper if I order the 2 camera system + 1 add on camera, rather than the 3 camera system. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:18:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Arlo users, 

Is the Arlo Go the only one with micro-sd slot? I'm not finding any info about micro-sd with the Arlo Pro model.

ETA: Nevermind. I see that you can connect an USB external drive, to the base station, for local storage. 
        https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-pro/default.aspx
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Idk if they're any good or if you're a member but Costco has a few wireless systems
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Idk if they're any good or if you're a member but Costco has a few wireless systems
View Quote
No Costco in my area. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Arlo users, 

Is the Arlo Go the only one with micro-sd slot? I'm not finding any info about micro-sd with the Arlo Pro model.

ETA: Nevermind. I see that you can connect an USB external drive, to the base station, for local storage. 
        https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-pro/default.aspx
View Quote
I've never had a problem with the cloud storage with the basic Arlo base station. If it takes a video that I want to save I just click a button and it downloads to my phone.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just got an email from Revo yesterday. They just released their wireless set up. I have their 4K wired system and am happy with it.

https://www.revoamerica.com/4-ch-nvr-surveillance-system-with-4-hd-wireless-bullet-cameras-rew41b4g-1t/

4 Channel NVR Surveillance System with 4 HD Wireless Bullet Cameras
REW41B4G-1T
$399.00 $299.00 You Save: $100.00 (25%)

•4 Ch. Wi-Fi Network Video Recorder
•Pre-installed 1 TB Video Surveillance Grade HDD
•2.1 Megapixel Bullet Cameras with 100’ Night Vision (4)
•Up to 1000 Ft Outdoor Wireless Range
•Two-Step Smartphone View Setup – iPhone and Android
•Revowireless.com - Access your NVR from the IE browser

DESCRIPTION
With incredible video quality, ease of use, and powerful networking tools, The Revo Wireless unique design complements any home or business. The Revo Wireless superb video quality is based on IP Wi-Fi technology which brings the power and beauty of digital high definition video and wireless right to the heart of your surveillance. Installation is quick and easy. Wireless video transmission eliminates the hassle of running cables. Plug the 4 CH Wireless Network Video Recorder and camera(s) into a nearby power outlet. The “Auto –Pair” technology will seamlessly pair the camera(s) to the recorder to start streaming HD Video. The Indoor/Outdoor wireless bullet cameras feature 2.1 Megapixel Sensors, double the resolution of standard 720p HD. IR arrays illuminate the scene up to an unprecedented 100' in total darkness. View your Revo Wireless cameras from anywhere. Using the Revo Wireless Mobile Smart Phone app, simply set up an account and then scan your NVRs QR code to begin mobile viewing. Access your Wireless NVR via the web using www.revowireless.com.. View multiple units at once with the help of Revo Wireless CMS.
View Quote
This looks promising.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I've never had a problem with the cloud storage with the basic Arlo base station. If it takes a video that I want to save I just click a button and it downloads to my phone.
View Quote
I guess it's the network engineer in me being "paranoid" about not having access to a local backup file. 

Looks like the base station unit, that allows for local storage, can be purchased separately for $80.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top