Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/22/2017 9:56:52 PM EDT
Remember seeing this as a kid, so I got it at the library the other night: 

It’s held up pretty well, considering.  Year is supposed to be 2022, which must have seemed like forever from 1973 (I know, I was around then ).  NYC population is supposed to be 80 million (sorry, AlGore, it’s not underwater ).

Was watching the “About” in the extras reel.  Based on a short story by Harry Harrison (Make room!  Make room!), and they were talking about Thomas Robert Malthus:
an increase in a nation's food production improved thewell-being of the populace, but the improvement was temporary because it led to population growth, which in turn restored the original per capita production level. In other words, mankind had a propensity to utilize abundance for population growth rather than for maintaining a high standard of living
View Quote
Certain amount of truth to that; it concerns me that world population is now over 7 billion.   Tho so far, we’re doing a pretty good job of killing each other off, and families of 6+ children have become pretty rare, at least in the developed world.  So it looks like we aren’t on track to starve or to have to start eating each other in the next five years.

Still & all, it really still is a great flick; they did a good job of capturing the crowding & the non-stop heat.  Last one for Edward G. Robinson, too.  The scene in the suicide studio is still pretty powerful; apparently Edward G. Robinson's wife would come by every day to make sure he was okay, but she wouldn't come during the filming of that scene.

And of course you know about Soylent drink.  Plant-based, don'tchano.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:14:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Soylent Green is people!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I miss him.  

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Edward G. Robinson's last movie.

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Great movie!

One of the first movies I remember seeing. It was a double feature with West World. Good times!

I remember playing the video game that was featured in the movie too. A local gun shop / arcade (true story) had one but it was purple metallic color.

A few years ago, I found these on Think Geek...
Good for a few laughs...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Great flick.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:50:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I have it on DVD.  Great movie.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:54:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Saw it with WestWorld at a drive in way back then.
Do drive ins even exist anymore?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Believe it or not, got two of 'em in my AO.   Been meaning to go to one, just for old-time kix.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
There is one in Middletown, VA, just south of Winchester.  Plays current movies, too.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:01:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Many kittens were lost in the summer of 1973...

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Many kittens were lost in the summer of 1973...
View Quote
Wish my furniture looked like that...
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:07:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've heard that Robinson knew he was dying when he filmed the euthanasia scene. He died 12 days after the filming.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#13]
FPNI

Saw it at a drive in as well. Westworld also, but I can't remember if it was a double feature or on different occassions.

Saw the orignal Planet of the Apes at a drive in to. When the gorillas first appeared out of the cornfields, it scared the crap out me. Kept hiding behind the back seat of the station wagon (yeah, I'm that old now), bobbing up and down sneaking peeks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:10:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
There's one in Shelton WA.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:21:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Good movie, thought I had it on DVD.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:21:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've heard that Robinson knew he was dying when he filmed the euthanasia scene. He died 12 days after the filming.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but he loved it.   There was a rider in his contract that he was to leave every day by five, but he would stick around anyway, even tho the director told him to go home.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:30:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looks more like something from Futurama.
View All Quotes
How to pronounce Soylent Cola
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:39:39 PM EDT
[#20]

ETA: Shit, no people. Sorry.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:39:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Still guiding me thru life to this day
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:43:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I like the option of renting an apartment with "furniture".
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:47:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Some interesting (world population) numbers as of 2011:

Birth Rate
360,000 births per day
Death Rate
151,600 people die each day

So, according to those numbers, we are adding a net of 208,000-ish people to this spinning globe every day.

I've never seen the movie, but it sounds like a good watch!

Oh, and another interesting population related site that visualizes (simulated) births and deaths around the world:http://worldbirthsanddeaths.com/
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:50:54 PM EDT
[#24]
One of Heston's "End of the World" Trilogy that he did in the late '60s/early '70s:  Planet of the Apes, Omega Man, Soylent Green.

All three were great sci-fi at the time, but Soylent Green is laughably dated when it comes to predicting the future.  Having said that, it's a pretty accurate example of how the Enviro-Doomers thought back then.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Soylent Green : Pledge Allegiance
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:51:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:52:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Great movie! So many good things about it..............
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:54:03 PM EDT
[#28]
can't believe no one has posted this

The Scoops are Coming!
Soylent Green. Bucket detain
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:55:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Birth Rate
360,000 births per day
Death Rate

So, according to those numbers, we are adding a net of 208,000-ish people to this spinning globe every day.

Oh, and another interesting population related site that visualizes (simulated) births and deaths around the world:http://worldbirthsanddeaths.com/
View Quote
Must see. It's the first movie I watched that depicted a not so far fetched future dystopia. The Edward G Robinson scene was brutally sad.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:56:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:57:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Birth Rate
360,000 births per day
Death Rate

View Quote
Wait, what!?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:57:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
can't believe no one has posted this

The Scoops are Coming!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wa4U6TQlNI
View Quote
I love the Oakland Raiders helmets on the cops.  They obviously didn't have a big budget for this one. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:03:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Spice funnels. 

Farmer Vincent.

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:10:26 AM EDT
[#34]
The scene, made more poignant with the knowledge that Robinson was dying and died upon completion of the movie.

In his book The Actor's Life: Journal 1956-1976, Heston wrote "He knew while we were shooting, though we did not, that he was terminally ill. He never missed an hour of work, nor was late to a call. He never was less than the consummate professional he had been all his life. I'm still haunted, though, by the knowledge that the very last scene he played in the picture, which he knew was the last day's acting he would ever do, was his death scene. I know why I was so overwhelmingly moved playing it with him.
Charlton Heston on making Soylent Green with Robinson.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:30:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:07:45 AM EDT
[#36]
I collect old movie posters. I have had Soylent Green on my living room wall for decades. Great movie. Great actors.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:15:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
wow, in more ways than one.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:50:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Here you go.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:36:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read that the only person on the set that he told about his illness was Charlton Heston.
Doing that euthanasia scene must have been tough.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#40]
"How is it?"  "It varies, from person to person"
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

ETA: Shit, no people. Sorry.
View Quote
  Fuck, this is why I love Arfcom.  Nice touch, they specify kosher salt.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I like the option of renting an apartment with "furniture".
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I love the Oakland Raiders helmets on the cops.  They obviously didn't have a big budget for this one. 
View Quote
Noticed that too.   Well, they had a cast of 300, so that's where alot of the money went.  All the Soylent Green "crackers" were actually squares of wood, dyed green.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:08:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
In his book The Actor's Life: Journal 1956-1976, Heston wrote "He knew while we were shooting, though we did not, that he was terminally ill. He never missed an hour of work, nor was late to a call. He never was less than the consummate professional he had been all his life. I'm still haunted, though, by the knowledge that the very last scene he played in the picture, which he knew was the last day's acting he would ever do, was his death scene. I know why I was so overwhelmingly moved playing it with him.Charlton Heston on making Soylent Green with Robinson.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
In his book The Actor's Life: Journal 1956-1976, Heston wrote "He knew while we were shooting, though we did not, that he was terminally ill. He never missed an hour of work, nor was late to a call. He never was less than the consummate professional he had been all his life. I'm still haunted, though, by the knowledge that the very last scene he played in the picture, which he knew was the last day's acting he would ever do, was his death scene. I know why I was so overwhelmingly moved playing it with him.Charlton Heston on making Soylent Green with Robinson.
Quoted:
I read that the only person on the set that he told about his illness was Charlton Heston.
Doing that euthanasia scene must have been tough.
Wow.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edQNjJZFdLUThe scene, made more poignant with the knowledge that Robinson was dying and died upon completion of the movie.

In his book The Actor's Life: Journal 1956-1976, Heston wrote "He knew while we were shooting, though we did not, that he was terminally ill. He never missed an hour of work, nor was late to a call. He never was less than the consummate professional he had been all his life. I'm still haunted, though, by the knowledge that the very last scene he played in the picture, which he knew was the last day's acting he would ever do, was his death scene. I know why I was so overwhelmingly moved playing it with him.
Charlton Heston on making Soylent Green with Robinson.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#46]
  Fucking Simpsons.  Of course Groening did a takeoff of Soylent.  Fucker.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm sorry, but I didn't think it was a good movie at all. I had high hopes but as I watched it they were dashed.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
There's one in Bristol, TN about 3/4 mile from the track. They do a good business, plus renting out the spaces for race parking.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:37:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Must see. It's the first movie I watched that depicted a not so far fetched future dystopia. The Edward G Robinson scene was brutally sad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Birth Rate
360,000 births per day
Death Rate

Ok, I rented it on Amazon and watched it tonight.

Certainly worthwhile IMO - But...

Watching it now requires getting yourself in a frame of mind of the time period in which it was filmed for sure. Which was easy for me, 'cause I remember that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:42:21 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote
I used to date one of LTY's & Dey's cousins
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top