Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 6/22/2017 9:27:39 PM EDT
I've handled these before, but honestly didn't know all of the subtle features.

Fantastic video by Forgotten Weapons.

The Steyr Scout: Jeff Cooper's Modern Day Frontier Rifle
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Those who deny the qualities of this masterpiece are beyond help.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember lusting after those as a youngun.....   still a cool rifle.....
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#3]
The stupid mountain krauts cant even put the bolt on the proper side of the rifle. Incompetence at its finest. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:43:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I killed a shit ton of n00bs on the Counter Strike wit it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Meh, there's a reason the scout rifle concept never caught on.  No disrespect to Cooper of course.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#6]
like a tactical Fudd Gun
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#7]
My 223 Scout. This is my favorite gun. Nothing else even comes close.

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Bubba in a limousine?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#9]
The Scout is an answer to the question no one asked. I believe Aimless described the concept as "A thought experiment by men in the '70s, dreaming about exploring Africa in the '30s, needing a rifle that could take lions, Nazi spies, or a Tyrannosaurus Rex".
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Scout is an answer to the question no one asked. I believe Aimless described the concept as "A thought experiment by men in the '70s, dreaming about exploring Africa in the '30s, needing a rifle that could take lions, Nazi spies, or a Tyrannosaurus Rex".
View Quote
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My 223 Scout. This is my favorite gun. Nothing else even comes close.

https://i.imgur.com/IuY6puW.jpg
View Quote
If I lived in CA, that would probably be my favorite too.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You say that like it's a bad thing.
View Quote
Not bad. Just unnecessary and overpriced.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I always wanted one but could not justify the cost.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:58:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I fucking love this place.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#15]
It's funny because I just watched that video yesterday. Scout rifles are awesome and the Steyr is a very well executed one. If only they weren't so expensive.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:03:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not so.  It was a general solution, that has been dated by technology and politics for most people.  

There are better guns available now in the U.S., and the rest of the world does not tolerate you hauling around a GP rifle like they did before.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:03:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Cool gun.

Way over-priced.

I'd own one if they were under $1,000, like the Steyr Mountain Rifle.  A Scout in .243 would be badass.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I've taken many coyotes and javalina with a scout concept rifle. For the intended use of moderate distance moving targets, they work very well
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Dbl tap
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:06:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Forgotten weapon

It's a real nice handy rifle. A good friend left me his, I think it's great. The Swarovski glass doesn't hurt either
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:08:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've taken many coyotes and javalina with a scout concept rifle. For the intended use of moderate distance moving targets, they work very well
View Quote
That's sweet, but... My AR does that very well.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Cooper was a fuck'n IDIOT, and so were his LAME BRAIN ideas! WINDBAG at best!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
In that line of thinking then, my 10mms all do everything a 45 can do and then some, so let's just label 45 officially dumb, outdated, and pointless. 45s and bolt action can just stop being sold now.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:24:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I did this to an M-1 Garland and put a synthetic stock on it. Works very well on my ranch at long range for self defense purposes. Poachers are the big problem where I'm at.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't actually agree.  It was a concept to address an issue that technological improvements in other areas solved.  Reliable red dot sights and the ubiquity of the AR-15 made the idea unnecessary.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I still want one in .308 for some reason. Steyr makes good stuff.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:26:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Oh you're not even trying hard.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If I lived in CA, that would probably be my favorite too.
View Quote
You know, when I got rid of my last AR, I thought well WTF I have all this 223 ammo, what am I going to shoot it with? I have always liked the concept of a all purpose rifle, and thought the Scout looked cool. So I figured what the hell? You are right, in California I could choose a crippled MSR, a Mini-14, or a bolt action. The bolt action won. Next up, I'm going to get a .308 Scout.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Please tell us more, o guru with 17 posts, who just joined this month.   Jeff Cooper created the modern concept of the pistol; how many game-changing concepts have you come up with, squirt?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#31]
A Scout in 308 would make a great camping rifle,  wish I'd picked one up when CDNN was dumping them.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:37:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In that line of thinking then, my 10mms all do everything a 45 can do and then some, so let's just label 45 officially dumb, outdated, and pointless. 45s and bolt action can just stop being sold now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We aren't having a caliber discussion and I didn't label the Scout as dumb, outdated or pointless. I was specifically addressing medium ranged moving targets.

There are places where a semi auto is a no-go for hunting so bolt gun make sense.

My issue with the Scout is that the placement of the optics is very limiting. There are way more options for glass on regular bolt actions.

I can set the TR24 on my AR to 2X and have a rifle with faster follow-ups, more capacity etc.

I'd love to have a Scout but my ARs are more flexible and adaptable for less than the Steyr.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Stupid rifle
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Meh, there's a reason the scout rifle concept never caught on.  No disrespect to Cooper of course.  
View Quote
That's the best takeaway from the video:

Most people in the US buy a rifle for one of three things: Self defense.  Target shooting.  Competition.

The scout rifle concept isn't made for any of those three.  That's why when people buy one they're disappointed with how useless it is.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#35]
I had one, it was pretty okay, the bi pod function felt cheap. I remember when they couldn't give them away. I had the special edition JC model. The sling was pretty cheap too and the case was god awful (think really shitty tacklebox).
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I had a 700 I made into a scout .
After a couple years I just put a 1-4x conventional scope on it and liked that better 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#37]
I got one on a trade a few years ago that I have yet to shoot.  I was going to use it as a hunting rifle but decided I would be upset if I ever dropped it in the mud.  It is sexy as hell...  I don't know if I'll ever shoot it...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
There are generations of shooters who would disagree with you, the World changed and evolved, he chose not to.

Long after you are dead and gone, will you still be spoken about on the Internet, will people still be buying the books you wrote, or reading your articles, or attending the school you started? That's what I thought.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#39]
LMAO. Does the scout concept always get so much hate around here?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Only among the shooters.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#41]
lol i just started laying this game on mini clip . com called Stealth sniper 2, thats the first rifle you use.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:48:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Only among the shooters.
View Quote
Lol, the truth.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Lol, not sure I follow the hate, doesn't really make any sense.

I have a Ruger Gunsite "scout"-like rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor.  Craziest thing, I can take the scout scope _off_ and put a normal scope _on_ and bam, I have a handy-lengthed 6.5 creedmoor rifle I can shoot out farther than I have the skill or area to shoot.

But it's fun to shoot with the scout scope, quick acquisition and enough accuracy for 300 yard steel (all I have access to).

A scout rifle where you literally have no choice but to use a scout scope?  Sure, if you can find such a rifle it might be a little limiting.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:59:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because GD is a bunch of cheap bastards who live in houses with wheels and shop at K-Mart.

A .308 Steyr Scout topped with a 2moa Aimpoint T2 loaded up with Hornady "Full Boar" 165gr. GMX rides on the seat of my work truck nearly every day of the week.
It's killed everything from elk to prairie dogs and has never skipped a beat in the rough desert southwest.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I had a 700 I made into a scout .
After a couple years I just put a 1-4x conventional scope on it and liked that better 
View Quote
That (modern variables) is kind of what turned the tide IMO.

I don't agree with everything Cooper, but I think he would have been pretty stoked on a 6.5G carbine with an ACOG. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:00:12 PM EDT
[#47]
There are plenty of manufacturers that make nice bolt action carbines.  And I happen to like Steyr products but I never saw the tangible advantage over other readily available carbines.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:00:45 PM EDT
[#48]
It'd be my first choice for a rifle if I lived in rural Alaska.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:01:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:04:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Because GD is a bunch of cheap bastards who live in houses with wheels and shop at K-Mart.
View Quote
Or Scout concepts are goofy and those that actually use rifles in the field prefer much more reach and much faster engagement?

Just Sayin.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top