BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I highly doubt this is the case. A moose is MUCH larger and stronger animal than a gorilla, yet Moose don't often, if ever kill wolves with a kick.
View Quote
The gorilla isn't going to kick them.  He's going to grab them (with very strong hands) and bend their backs until they break.   Or smash them into other objects like rocks or trees, or ground and pound them.  

Most of the gorilla is too large for the wolves' bite to get all the way around.  

Key point:  Wolves haven't faced a gorilla.  The gorilla has faced shit much like wolves, and has taught them over millions of years to just move the fuck on.  

Hyenas are tougher than wolves.   They don't fuck with gorillas.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:57:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It's not a game of endurance.  Literally anything the gorilla got a hold of would be ripped apart, smashed, or tossed a 100 yards down field within a second or two.

We are not talking about nipping at somethings ass until it bleeds out.

If I weighed twice as much, was 20 times stronger, and 20 times more agile, I would live feed the fight for you myself.
View Quote
Are gorillas really that strong?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Lol.  People voting wolves...
View Quote
Lol at people who do not understand how pack animals hunt.  Harass, fatigue and kill.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Gorilla spins in circle with arms out punching all their stupid wolf faces
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Gorillas have hands
View Quote
Punches are weak as fuck compared to kicks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gorillas have hands
Any wolf the gorilla manages to grasp is dead. Period.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The gorilla isn't going to kick them.  He's going to grab them (with very strong hands) and bend their backs until they break.   Or smash them into other objects like rocks or trees, or ground and pound them.  

Most of the gorilla is too large for the wolves' bite to get all the way around.  

Key point:  Wolves haven't faced a gorilla.  The gorilla has faced shit much like wolves, and has taught them over millions of years to just move the fuck on.  

View Quote
Hyenas and gorillas don't really live in the same areas.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know what kind of wolves you meant but if we're talking timber wolves, like grey wolves, only humans and tigers are a serious threat to them in their range.

ETA: A big part of the question might be "where?".  How about boreal forest at 20 degree F, 18" of snow.  Or, fuck it, how about -10 degrees F.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No. Wolves don't kill for sport and I doubt a Silverback Gorilla is gonna be very edible.
View Quote
I dare you to say that to a rancher or elk guide in the northern Rockies.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Gorilla will tear them into little wolf pieces.  Their strength is off the charts and their teeth are more vicious than a wolf's.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Any pack of more than 6 wolves, easily.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Wolves would do it the same way they bring down Sasquatches.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think a lot of people here underestimate the strength of a gorilla. Pound for pound they are 8 times stronger than a human and a silverback can weigh 400-500 pounds. A silverback is reported to have the strength of 7-8 Olympic level weightlifters. Throw in their aggression, high pain tolerance, dense flesh and the ability to literally rip legs and heads off torsos and use wolves as projectiles and it would be a clusterfuck.

Wolves are pack animals and follow the Alpha. Ever watch a pack attack? When they come up against a dangerous animal 2-3 of the strongest wolves (usually including the alpha) will attack first, gauging it's strength. When the first 2-3 wolves were manhandled and ripped limb from the limb the rest of the pack would retreat.

Wolves are fearful of humans and very rarely attack them. There's no way they would stand a chance with a full grown male. Possibly a female or younger male.
View Quote
This. The Gorilla would mess up the first few without a doubt. After the first few, the pack would likely retreat, they are smart, therefore they wouldn't continue a losing battle to the death, their fight or flight would engage.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lol at people who do not understand how pack animals hunt.  Harass, fatigue and kill.
View Quote
I have been saying this as well
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Has a full grown gorilla ever attacked a human like a chimp has done? Ive never heard of it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#16]
My property is in between the overlap of 3 different Wolf packs. At least one in each pack is collared and tracked by the DNR here.

The International Wolf Center is also here in Ely, MN. You can go there and see the tracking of each pack in real time layed over a map of the area.

There are also many single lone wolves I see almost a daily basis.
As a poster above has mentioned they will wear down large prey over a length of time. No one can beat the pack.

Think about the size of a Bull Moose. They are massive animals and very powerful. But doable in the right conditions like deep snow for the pack.  
One on one a gorilla would win.
With a pack not many critters could win.

That is why you never see any gorillas here .  

On a side note.... many of the dogs and cats that go missing are preyed on by Yotes. People blame the wolves.
Wolves like to be away from humans most of the time. The yotes even go into our little town to grab pets. Not kidding.

That is my 2 cents from someone who lives with the wolves.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Gorilla spins in circle with arms out punching all their stupid wolf faces
View Quote
Like a simian death blossom.

Wolves win though.  Yeah, Gorillas are huge etc., but they're peaceful animals (a lot more peaceful than chimps).  If anything it would probably climb a tree to get away.  As mentioned above, not much can escape the pack.  Wolves are bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter than dogs.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Personally, I don't know much about the stamina of gorillas. I know they are incredibly strong and explosive cable of killing pretty much anything one on one. However, all of that mass and explosiveness can't last long and wolves are perfectly happy letting their prey tire itself out before the pack almost calmly holds their prey down for the alpha to dive in ass first. 10 wolves should be more than enough to withstand a few casualties and still out mass the gorilla. If I were a betting man I'd wager that gorilla's ass is getting eaten with it wondering WTF is going on. Of course the battle ground would matter. Gorilla in the snow? That asshole is getting eaten. In the hot ass jungle? It could just say fuck you and climb a tree and start snacking.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have been saying this as well
View Quote
A lot of people don't understand that pack animals hunt hoofed ungulates 99% of the time. Not 500lb primates with fangs, ridiculous strength, agility and dexterity.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don't know what kind of wolves you meant but if we're talking timber wolves, like grey wolves, only humans and tigers are a serious threat to them in their range.

ETA: A big part of the question might be "where?".  How about boreal forest at 20 degree F, 18" of snow.  Or, fuck it, how about -10 degrees F.
View Quote
This dude disagrees.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Personally, I don't know much about the stamina of gorillas. I know they are incredibly strong and explosive cable of killing pretty much anything one on one. However, all of that mass and explosiveness can't last long and wolves are perfectly happy letting their prey tire itself out before the pack almost calmly holds their prey down for the alpha to dive in ass first. 10 wolves should be more than enough to withstand a few casualties and still out mass the gorilla. If I were a betting man I'd wager that gorilla's ass is getting eaten with it wondering WTF is going on. Of course the battle ground would matter. Gorilla in the snow? That asshole is getting eaten. In the hot ass jungle? It could just say fuck you and climb a tree and start snacking.
View Quote
Why wouldn't the gorilla crawl up into the tree also, take a nap, digest some wolf, jump down and kill some more.  I bet the gorilla is a whole lot smarter than the wolf.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm of the opinion that the gorilla is more than capable of killing wolves with a single strike, and his strength and mass would make it difficult for the wolves to bring him down. I suspect he could easily kill of half of the pack in the first few seconds of the encounter.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Are gorillas really that strong?
View Quote
Probably and exaggeration, but I weigh 200.  A big gorilla weighs 400. Muscle density makes them say 8 times stronger or so.  

Let's round down and say that I would only be 15 times stronger in the end.  Plenty tough enough to handle shit, especially since I would be coordinated as fuck.

The only chance a set of wolves would have is the shear confusion of WTF are these things biting me for coming from the gorilla.  One hunts for a living, one doesnt.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Any pack of more than 6 wolves, easily.
View Quote
Yep, 6 would be enough to circle and press.

Some of you guys are acting like this would be in an octagon.  Wolves will just circle and press and move for as long as they need to.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My property is in between the overlap of 3 different Wolf packs. At least one in each pack is collared and tracked by the DNR here.

The International Wolf Center is also here in Ely, MN. You can go there and see the tracking of each pack in real time layed over a map of the area.

There are also many single lone wolves I see almost a daily basis.
As a poster above has mentioned they will wear down large prey over a length of time. No one can beat the pack.

Think about the size of a Bull Moose. They are massive animals and very powerful. But doable in the right conditions like deep snow for the pack.  
One on one a gorilla would win.
With a pack not many critters could win.

That is why you never see any gorillas here .  

On a side note.... many of the dogs and cats that go missing are preyed on by Yotes. People blame the wolves.
Wolves like to be away from humans most of the time. The yotes even go into our little town to grab pets. Not kidding.

That is my 2 cents from someone who lives with the wolves.
View Quote
Yep yotes love pets.

Wolves live further out and/or don't bother.  They can get much larger animals that aren't around humans.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This dude disagrees.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/71/2010-kodiak-bear-1.jpg
I'm not sure what you're saying...a kodiak could attack and defeat a pack of grey wolves or a pack of grey wolves would probably pass on a kodiak?  Because if the later I think that still means that, although they're a tough customer and something the pack would generally pass on, I don't know if that means the kodiak is a threat.

I think my second point in my edit is important though.  I imagine a lot of the gorilla voters are picturing an environment favorable to the gorilla.  Even there I would bet on grey wolves.  And in boreal forest in the winter? Well...the gorilla couldn't even survive there without going up against the wolf pack.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't know who would win but this is a cool ass topic. I say gorilla.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Think big.

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Does the alpha male wolf attack first or does he hang back and let some expendables go in first?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#30]
How do the wolves tire the gorilla if every time they get close, the gorilla kills a wolf?   The wolves get 10 tries.    
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#31]
It takes three wolves and a full moon to defeat a gorilla.

They made a shirt to commemorate the fight.

Attachment Attached File

You can almost see Harambe in the background.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Can the wolves climb trees?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Gorillas have hands
View Quote
Not to mention badass fully-auto assault weapons.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Which one is on a treadmill?

But really, pack of wolves would be eating Donkey Kong chops for lunch.  No contest.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've got money on the gorilla.

The ability to grasp in addition to just biting.
View Quote
Same here id bet on the gorilla.

I think the gorillas ability to grab and smash would trump wolves limited ability to bite.

Have hyenas ever taken a gorilla?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Why wouldn't the gorilla crawl up into the tree also, take a nap, digest some wolf, jump down and kill some more.  I bet the gorilla is a whole lot smarter than the wolf.
View Quote
Primarily because gorillas don't eat meat. Also because it isn't just going to be able snatch up a wolf at will. How is it being smarter going to help it against 10 different threats that expertly hunt as one? The gorilla might be "use a tool smart" but wolves are super predator smart.

One thing I forgot to include was that gorillas need to spend a ridiculous amount of time each day eating. The wolves won't let that happen if gorilla doesn't have a tree to get away.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:16:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Better question would be James Harrison versus 10 wolves?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Assume 10 wolves in the pack. Discuss.
View Quote

Maybe, but there won't be ten wolves standing when it's over.  And still unlikely.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
How do the wolves tire the gorilla if every time they get close, the gorilla kills a wolf?   The wolves get 10 tries.    
View Quote
That's what I think also... These are the questions that will keep me up at night, or not.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Easily.

Even some regular wolf prey could easily kill a gorilla.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Jesus guys this is slug fest grudge match. I can defeat a gorilla if all i have to do it outlive it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That's what I think also... These are the questions that will keep me up at night, or not.
View Quote
Yep, they'll all just line up and take turns.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#44]
10 starving wolves can kill just about any animal by lunges and tiring the animal out
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#45]
One gorilla?

Wolves ... not even close.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Jesus guys this is slug fest grudge match. I can defeat a gorilla if all i have to do it outlive it.
View Quote
Exactly. I think the rules matter. What if our chicom zookeepers ushered ten wolves into the gorilla enclosure? Wolfchops.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Assume 10 wolves in the pack. Discuss.
View Quote

Absolutely yes.  Wouldn't even take 10.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wolves are viscous
View Quote
Snotty little bastards.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Easily.

ETA:. Some of you fail to realize how vicious, cunning, and just how goddamned big most wolves really are.  They ain't no puppy.  One or two.. probably not.  Ten wolves..  not even close.
View Quote
Also this.  Peeps don't know how big and vicious timber wolves are.  They eat animals much bigger and more muscular than gorillas as their main diet.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Wolves would hamstring and bring him down.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top