Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The California Secretary of State sued Home Depot (or maybe Lowes) about this, and won (in a California court).  The now have to label all dimensional lumber with its actual size.  2 x 4's are now 1-1/2 x 3-1/2's.  Plus, the store had to pay out a mega million dollar fine.
View Quote
As someone who lives in CA and occasionally buys lumber, they are still marked as 2x4s and 4x4. It does however give the actual dimensions in small print under that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've bought lumber in CA recently and they were marked 2x4, 4x4, etc (i.e. correctly)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't this already happen a couple years ago?
The California Secretary of State sued Home Depot (or maybe Lowes) about this, and won (in a California court).  The now have to label all dimensional lumber with its actual size.  2 x 4's are now 1-1/2 x 3-1/2's.  Plus, the store had to pay out a mega million dollar fine.
I've bought lumber in CA recently and they were marked 2x4, 4x4, etc (i.e. correctly)
Go back. Bet it said common dimension on the tag.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, that's how it's marked. Different than what you said initially though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Ridiculous. Everyone knows a 2x4 isn't 2"x4"
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#5]
they should be permanently banned from doing home improvements or using lumber... if you're that fuckin stupid you sure as hell shouldn't be using the product... before long lumber is going to have idiot labels like lawn mowers  
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmphh! I bet their 16d nails aren't to spec either!

Honestly, S4S lumber has been sized that way for years. A 2 x 4, 4 x 4, 2 x 6, etc. is the nominal size before finishing, if they have to go back to actual dimensions everything else will have to change with it. The entire building industry bases load calculations, sheathing sizes, insulation, etc. based on the actual size.

Too many damn lawyers in this country!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Industry standards.

It's easier to say 2x4 than "one and nine sixteenths by three and a half" or whatever.
View Quote
They should have started with whatever size needed to get down to the final size of 2x4. Then all this could have been avoided 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lumber no doubt causes cancer in California anyway, so it shouldn't be sold anywhere in the state.
View Quote
Everything causes cancer. As a result, nothing is sold here. You probably didn't know that our stores are actually empty. But...we don't have cancer.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ridiculous. Everyone knows a 2x4 isn't 2"x4"
View Quote
I've known for many many years. That doesn't mean I like it. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Even with the “actual” dimensions, there’s surprisingly large variance. Now someone needs to sue because their 2x4 wasn’t actually 1.5x3.5 but was 1 7/16 thick.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess some people ARE really that clueless and dense.
View Quote
Whatever. It's still stupid. Wood dimensions are fucked. I think it's weird people like it. Just because it's been done that way for 100 years doesn't mean it's a good way. 

If I get a piece of flat stock it's the size it says it is. I like metal. 
View Quote
Like I said, nothing is as fucked up as the nominal depth of wide flange beams.  The second part of the listing being weight per linear foot throws people too, web thickness or flange dimensions would be more helpful.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think I started getting cancer just reading your post.  Thanks a lot!  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lumber no doubt causes cancer in California anyway, so it shouldn't be sold anywhere in the state.
Everything causes cancer. As a result, nothing is sold here. You probably didn't know that our stores are actually empty. But...we don't have cancer.
I think I started getting cancer just reading your post.  Thanks a lot!  

*this post is known in the state of California to cause cancer

Better?

But you're not in CA so you should be fine. People that live in CA, however should not read that post
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:40:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I only buy my lumber green, from the guy with the Harbor Freight saw mill.  That way I know my 2x4s are really 2inches by 4 inches. Never mind my walls have gaps from shrinkage and what not.
View Quote
You get it.  Just the hard way
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
In the Lowes case, they were selling dimensional lumber that did not meet NIST standards (1.5x3.5) and they were selling 'nominal' labeled composite lumber, which is not allowed to be labeled by nominal sizes, only actual sizes.

http://www.prosalesmagazine.com/news/dealers/lowes-2x4-case-documents-add-to-allegations-about-undersized-lumber_o
http://www.sbcmag.info/news/2014/sep/district-attorney-lowes-case-dont-fret-using-2x4
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I asked them if they had any 2x4 cripples and they told me I was insensitive to people with permanent disabilities.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Not surprised. Briggs and Stratton lost a lawsuit over misclaimed HP, and switched all their motors to torque. Monitor mfgs were sued because their x # of inches crt's weren't x" viewable (and some didn't even measure that at the ends of the tubes IIRC). Gotta have your shit wired tight in today's society.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Plaintiffs need a 2x4 shoved up their asses.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'd be embarrassed I was so dumb.
View Quote
I was dumb until I went and got a bunch of 1x6s to deck out my cheap lowes trailer. I had everything measured perfectly and had a large gap on each side after laying all the planks out.

I was like what the hell and measured a single board. This does not measure 1x6... I told a friend and he just laughed at me and called me an idiot. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
This 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Regardless--it's bullshit.  

For those who know nothing--a tree is cut down and sawn into boards.  Those boards are cut to exact size--2"X4", 4"X4", etc.  They are then dried in a kiln to a certain percentage of moisture.  During this time they twist, warp, and crack.  The are then planed to dimensional size, which is what is sold--1 1/2" X 3 1/2" for a "2X4", etc.

It's been this way since transportation allowed such things to occur.  In the long past you went to a local (very local if using a horse-drawn wagon) and bought a full 2" X 4" "rough cut" board because that's what was available.  It wasn't dried and it ended up warping in most cases, especially if not nailed up immediately.  The "good old days" weren't exactly "good" in many ways.

Edit:  To further clarify, there is such a thing as "5/4 lumber"--pronounced "five quarter"--for instances where full dimension is needed.  It costs more, but is available.  It is rough cut to 2 1/4" X 4 1/4" then planed to a finished dimension of 2" X 4".  This is most often seen on deck boards, where you need a full 1" board in order to not need so much structure underneath.
View Quote
Why not mark it 4X4 uncooked. Like they do serving sizes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Nobody tell them about 2x4s.
View Quote
Or a quarter pound hamburger.

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I grew up in a house built with true 2x4s, etc. - big difference in strength.

Houses used to last 100 years or more, not now.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

For those who know nothing--a tree is cut down and sawn into boards.  Those boards are cut to exact size--2"X4", 4"X4", etc.  They are then dried in a kiln to a certain percentage of moisture.  During this time they twist, warp, and crack.  The are then planed to dimensional size, which is what is sold--1 1/2" X 3 1/2" for a "2X4", etc.

It's been this way since transportation allowed such things to occur.  In the long past you went to a local (very local if using a horse-drawn wagon) and bought a full 2" X 4" "rough cut" board because that's what was available.  It wasn't dried and it ended up warping in most cases, especially if not nailed up immediately.  The "good old days" weren't exactly "good" in many ways.

Edit:  To further clarify, there is such a thing as "5/4 lumber"--pronounced "five quarter"--for instances where full dimension is needed.  It costs more, but is available.  It is rough cut to 2 1/4" X 4 1/4" then planed to a finished dimension of 2" X 4".  This is most often seen on deck boards, where you need a full 1" board in order to not need so much structure underneath.
View Quote
I did a roof on a home in Palm Beach County that had been built in the forties.  The roof framing had been sheathed in planks.  Back then, the builders would hire a guy with a mobile sawmill to cut down trees and cut them into planks right there on the jobsite.  Florida is not particularly known for the quality of its forests.  When we pulled the shingles off the roof, we found that some of the planks were 3/4", some were less, some were more.  All were varying widths, and many still showed traces of the bark on the edges.  Quite a few of the planks had rotted away, so they had to be replaced.  There was no way we could match them.  We had to install new plywood sheathing over the entire house. Luckily, the homeowner had enough room in his budget to pay for it, but it was the only way the building inspector would let us finish the job.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I was dumb until I went and got a bunch of 1x6s to deck out my cheap lowes trailer. I had everything measured perfectly and had a large gap on each side after laying all the planks out.

I was like what the hell and measured a single board. This does not measure 1x6... I told a friend and he just laughed at me and called me an idiot. 
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I work in new construction and this is why I hate people.  I have become so jaded that every time I get a call from a client I assume its going to be something even more ridiculous than this.  Seriously this is just the tip of the iceberg for how retarded most folk are.  Moronic levels of fucking stupid people who presume they are "experts".

ETA:  Most of them are fucking boomers who should damn well know better...
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
They actually do post signs here stating that sawdust causes cancer. My new work truck came with a sticker claiming that it causes cancer. Actually, my office also has a sign stating that the building will give you cancer. I guess I'm gonna die, maybe.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#29]
lol

They should look up European lumber dimensions.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone too stupid inexperienced and untrained to know that is too stupid inexperienced and untrained to be allowed to work with anything sold by "trade size."

Did these assclowns measure conduit and pipe too?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#32]
That should be fun.

Slimeball lawyer "So Mr Defendant, why did you lie about the size of your 4x4's?"

Menards guy "The Federal Government told me to."
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#33]
They should not be labeled anything but the true measurements.

It doesnt matter how long it has been wrong, it should be corrected.

ETA- not a menards, home depot etc.. specific issue. Should be law of the land.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
It’s just so much easier to ask for a 2x4 than to shout across a noisy environment to someone that you need a few “one point five by three point fives.”
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I hope nobody measures the diameter of a piece of 1/2-inch pipe.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

ETA- not a menards, home depot etc.. specific issue. Should be law of the land.
View Quote
You should go stand in the sun some more.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
ID or OD? What is wall thickness, and composition?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
People that bring these lawsuits up should be drawn and quartered.

Any real man knows what the actual measurements are.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I like tubing 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Lumber companies need to do the McDonalds thing..... Quarter pound pre-cooked weight.

It was a 2x4 before it was planed and dried.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#41]
People are really fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Which is fucking idiotic considering there are no fucking damages in the first place.
View Quote
Not exactly.

Experience has taught us the true measurements, but there are unsuspecting, naïve new homeowners and others who actually believe the measurements and are surprised that nothing fits after building their projects. They don't know; they weren't taught. They get to learn the hard way and buy materials twice in some instances. There are your damages. AND, get into an old enough building and you WILL find "real" 2X4s, etc

Lumber is unique where "nominal" isn't explained verses "actual".
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup, in CA.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I grew up in a house built with true 2x4s, etc. - big difference in strength.

Houses used to last 100 years or more, not now.
View Quote
Plenty of crappy homes were built back in the day.  Long since torn/fallen down.  And plenty of well homes built today.  It's not the finish lumber size.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Uhhhhh

1x6= 3/4"x 5-1/2"
1x8= 3/4"x 7-1/4"

I'm gonna sue
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Been done before with hard drives too.
https://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2006/06/7174-2/
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Not exactly.

Experience has taught us the true measurements, but there are unsuspecting, naïve new homeowners and others who actually believe the measurements and are surprised that nothing fits after building their projects. They don't know; they weren't taught. They get to learn the hard way and buy materials twice in some instances. There are your damages. AND, get into an old enough building and you WILL find "real" 2X4s, etc

Lumber is unique where "nominal" isn't explained verses "actual".
View Quote
That's why there is a whole industry of people who do that shit for a living.
Lots of dickheads think building and remodeling is so easy until they fuck something important up.
Then it is someone elses fault.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
The problem with your argument is that back in the 30s (or so) lumber mills took all these thing into account and produced accurate dimensional lumber. Then they changed their ways. I can remember being completely amazed at age 16 trying to repair a wooden stairway built in the 1930s. All of a sudden my "new" replacement 2X4s weren't the same size as the old ones I was replacing.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Not only were 50 year old 2x4s actually 2"x4" - they were harder wood too.  And to think real carpenters used hand saws and made straight cuts.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Hope those folks don't have to buy any pipe.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top