BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I retire in a few months -- I've already got a software dev job lined up (some real specialty stuff that I've worked with on active duty), so I'm not too worried about a job right now, but avionics development is the sort of thing I've always wanted to do.
View Quote
the companies that do military systems have veteran hiring programs.
in addition to the ones AeroE mentioned, Rockwell Collins and Thales.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Also L3
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I retire in a few months -- I've already got a software dev job lined up (some real specialty stuff that I've worked with on active duty), so I'm not too worried about a job right now, but avionics development is the sort of thing I've always wanted to do.
I'll work on my resume' and see what's out there then.  Really haven't done any looking yet, I sort of fell into a job earlier in the year and dropped my papers quite a bit earlier than I had planned to.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Question for the Subject Matter Experts in the thread: how is restarting the F22 production line different from Reagan restarting the B1 line in the 80s?
View Quote

Apples to hand grenade comparison.  Reagan resurrected the B-1 program, not the assembly line.  There were never production B-1As, and the B-1B was a significantly redesigned airplane.  The F-22 program was funded to produce 750 aircraft, to replace all of our F-15s, the R&D was all spent, and then we let the penny pinching morons in congress cut the buy to fewer than 200, squandering the investment in R&D.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:01:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Apples to hand grenade comparison.  Reagan resurrected the B-1 program, not the assembly line.  There were never production B-1As, and the B-1B was a significantly redesigned airplane.  The F-22 program was funded to produce 750 aircraft, to replace all of our F-15s, the R&D was all spent, and then we let the penny pinching morons in congress cut the buy to fewer than 200, squandering the investment in R&D.
View Quote
Thanks. That makes sense. I've always heard how Reagan resurrected the B1, and always wondered how that compared to the discussion about the F22.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Where is the tooling for the future 6th generation fighter? What about the supply chain for it?

Seems to me like an F-22B model would still be less expensive than designing a completely new airframe from the ground up.

Do it sort of like the hornet/super horner deal.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:26:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Let's start with maximizing sunk cost in JSF/F-35.

Best air superiority fighter except Raptor.

Best strike fighter.

JSF is where we need to focus.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:32:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Let's start with maximizing sunk cost in JSF/F-35.

Best air superiority fighter except Raptor.

Best strike fighter.

JSF is where we need to focus.
View Quote

Fuck that pile of shit.  The F-22 buy was killed prematurely precisely because of the overpromising (and later under-delivering) of that pile of dogshit.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:42:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks. That makes sense. I've always heard how Reagan resurrected the B1, and always wondered how that compared to the discussion about the F22.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup.  I remember both.  B-1As were only prototypes.  Carter and Congress shut it down in favor of more ALCMs on B-52s while developing the B-2 in secret.

B-1B prototypes were actually B-1As with upgraded systems for the B-1B.  Biggest external differences were the radomes, both front and rear, as well as the ejection capsule.

My dad was on the B-1B CTF at Edwards when we returned from West Germany, and I remember many things about the program, to include Doug Benefield's death in the crash they had in one of the prototypes that still had the capsule.

I remember all kinds of CTF posters, as well as cockpit diagrams.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Fuck that pile of shit.  The F-22 buy was killed prematurely precisely because of the overpromising (and later under-delivering) of that pile of dogshit.
View Quote
Well here is sort of the facts regardless of your goofy rant.

F-22 will never be in production again, FACT.

JSF will be produced in big numbers,. FACT.

It simply is what it is and wanting something else won't change facts.

JSF is a beast of an killer.

Maybe we could have gone a different route but JSF is where we are right now and in the future.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:46:28 AM EDT
[#11]
If there ever was an appropriate application of this gif, it's this one.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:54:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not so fast -

USAF says nyet to F-22s
View Quote
We could get 50 of them for 20 billion!!! Hell ya!

We could get 100 for 30 billion.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:58:13 AM EDT
[#13]
So congress finally is coming to the conclusion that GD has long ago: that F35 is horsefeces and we need something else

We need to be on the payroll
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:58:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I worked on the F22 program for many years (I started in the mid eighties). A lot of us have retired and we took our knowledge with us. Management wasn't interested in maintaining the old design tools we used to create the F22. Most of the work I did would have to be completely redone from scratch. I retired about 8 years ago and even back then our knowledge base had moved on to other jobs. So there is no such thing as a re-start, there is nothing left to restart. Any such thought would be the near equivalent of starting from zero with a few minor exceptions.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:04:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Cater cut the B-1A to free up money to fund for what ultimately became the F-117 Nighthawk.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/lockheeds-senior-peg-the-forgotten-stealth-bomber-1534057907
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:17:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Why try to bother? Half the stuff you would need may have gotten stored somewhere, so it may be found once again in a few decades by accident.

But most of the stuff you need to build F-22's was destroyed, and tossed in the Cobb County landfill, and all the people that built them are dead, retired, or working other projects locally.

Might as well just work out the F-35 to cost less long term since they air frames are being build in Marietta, Ga before being shipped to Texas to be completed.

F-35 has a trained staff working week in and out, and ready and willing to keep building F-35's long as they can, and all the equipment needed isn't under a few hundred plus feet of local landfill, or stored middle of bumfuck wherever it can get lost, so just make more F-35's since in the end, they seem to work good in the end.

Just build F-35' still we get something like Stargate SG-1's F-303's flying?

But F-22 while bad ass? I don't see a redo working. To many issues that would force you to start from nothing anyways.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:21:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why try to bother? Half the stuff you would need may have gotten stored somewhere, so it may be found once again in a few decades by accident.

But most of the stuff you need to build F-22's was destroyed, and tossed in the Cobb County landfill, and all the people that built them are dead, retired, or working other projects locally.

Might as well just work out the F-35 to cost less long term since they air frames are being build in Marietta, Ga before being shipped to Texas to be completed.

F-35 has a trained staff working week in and out, and ready and willing to keep building F-35's long as they can, and all the equipment needed isn't under a few hundred plus feet of local landfill, or stored middle of bumfuck wherever it can get lost, so just make more F-35's since in the end, they seem to work good in the end.

Just build F-35' still we get something like Stargate SG-1's F-303's flying?

But F-22 while bad ass? I don't see a redo working. To many issues that would force you to start from nothing anyways.
View Quote

Nothing you do to the F-35 will make it as capable as an F-22, short of alien technology.  It's never getting two engines, a larger radar aperture and therefore more powerful AESA radar, no side weapons bays, no ridiculously high mach number in supercruise.  Conversely, you could add the EOTS to the F-22 without redesigning the entire airplane.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:32:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Do we even have the tooling any more? DoD is infamous for destroying tooling when the program is over.
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:37:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
And how many more years or decades until they finally get the airframes, all the software updates, and then all the sensors to work correctly?
View Quote
About the time the joint strike fighter attack drone is rolling down the production line and the last F-35 is in the Boneyard.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:40:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
He was talking about spare aircraft specifically. And, "hangar queen" is a result of the CANN program; extensive maintenance/parts issues notwithstanding. But, please, dont let me stop you from your attempt at belittling me.  
View Quote
You know that my post is dripping with sarcasm.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:48:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wut?
View Quote
You have mistaken what I said.
People think the F-35 is supposed to be an air superiority fighter.
It's not.

People think that the F-35 is supposed to be the second coming of the A-10.
It's not.

People think that the F-35 is supposed to be the next A-6 bomb truck.
It's not.

It's like a KLR650, it can do all of those things, just not as well as a dedicated single function aircraft.

The F-35 is going to be the motherfucker of motherfuckers.
Mark my words.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:05:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Then we should prioritize the 6th gen over more F22s, and see if we can actually field a new fighter jet in less than 30 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We did.
Then we should prioritize the 6th gen over more F22s, and see if we can actually field a new fighter jet in less than 30 years.
We'd better because if things continue as they are, the 2020's are gonna be wild.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:31:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Interesting thing to note. The USMC and the USAF don't have any jammers. If I recall the USN operates some Growler squadrons embedded into the USAF? What is the USMC's plan? I know they're trying their hardest not to get any Super Hornets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy 300 new F-15's as a stop gap measure as we await the F-22 replacement since the production line is still open. We need actual airframes to do the missions.  Yes I know they're 2 seat models only but it's still the best thing available that's still being made
Especially if they improved upon the F-15E, which was already large upgrade from the previous models.

It is not like a new, even better Eagle with modern avionics would have many credible threats against them.  I just hate how we sell them like candy these days.....I hope we install some sort of kill switch on those.

When the new F-22s start showing up again then you can retire all the A/C models and maybe some of the oldest Es.  Supposedly the airframes on the E were so much improved though they can fly for years to come without the same issues with wing failures.
Yep we are going to need a lot of airframes not just a few dozen stealth fighters in any all out war.

300 brand new F-15s will replace all of the F-15C models currently in service plus double the current F-15 strength if you don't include the Strike Eagles.  Reactivate some Cold War squadrons and fill them up.

Have the Navy buy some more Growlers and get the Marine Corps into the game since their Prowlers are going out to compensate for lack of stealth.
Interesting thing to note. The USMC and the USAF don't have any jammers. If I recall the USN operates some Growler squadrons embedded into the USAF? What is the USMC's plan? I know they're trying their hardest not to get any Super Hornets.
USMC is still flying the EA6B, had dinner with a pilot last week.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:15:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Nothing you do to the F-35 will make it as capable as an F-22, short of alien technology.  It's never getting two engines, a larger radar aperture and therefore more powerful AESA radar, no side weapons bays, no ridiculously high mach number in supercruise.  Conversely, you could add the EOTS to the F-22 without redesigning the entire airplane.
View Quote
I know it's not my ideal solution either. But you can keep on cranking out F-35's so you have the numbers, or hope we don't have to need aircraft in numbers for another decade or two while the F-35 gets done to it, what happened to the F-22. 8(

Oh you could make a new "F-22", but between now and then seems like we need more aircraft anyway we can get them. But my Uncle Don that helped figure out where to put lot of the wiring on the F-22's we have today died two months ago, and I don't think Lockheed kept any of his records.

As is same plant is making the main F-35 air frames day in and out, and most of the people that know how to do the work are alive and well, and far from
retirement.

Rather have a few thousand F-22's, but China or someone steps off, gotta run what ya brung.  F-35's are better than nothing
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:23:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I worked on the F22 program for many years (I started in the mid eighties). A lot of us have retired and we took our knowledge with us. Management wasn't interested in maintaining the old design tools we used to create the F22. Most of the work I did would have to be completely redone from scratch. I retired about 8 years ago and even back then our knowledge base had moved on to other jobs. So there is no such thing as a re-start, there is nothing left to restart. Any such thought would be the near equivalent of starting from zero with a few minor exceptions.
View Quote

So I guess we can never build anything again?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:39:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So, serious question here -- how does someone get into avionics software development?  Do any of our resident experts here know?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like, what the hell is this?  So, in order to ensure the spread of accurate third hand information, I've got to go around banging everyone's girlfriend?  I ain't got time for that.
I sure ain't got time to read all dat!

2.1 Common Integrated Processor (CIP)

The Hughes-built Common Integrated Processor (CIP) is the 'brain' of the avionics system. The CIP, which is quite literally the size of a oversized bread box, supports all signal and data processing for all sensors and mission avionics.

There are two CIPs in each F-22, with 66 module slots per CIP. They have identical backplanes, and all of the F-22's processing requirements can be handled by only seven different types of processors. Currently, 19 of 66 slots in CIP 1 and 22 of 66 slots in CIP 2 are not in use and can be used for future growth.

Each module is limited by design to only 75 percent of its capability, so the F-22 has thirty percent growth capability with no change to the existing equipment.

There is space, power, and cooling provisions in the aircraft now for a third CIP, so the requirement for a 200 percent avionics growth capability in the F-22 can be met easily.

CIP also contains mission software that uses tailorable mission planning data for sensor emitter management and multisensor fusion;

mission-specific information delivered to system through Fairchild data transfer equipment that also contains mass storage for default data and air vehicle operational flight programme;

General purpose processing capacity of CIP is rated at more than 700 million instructions per second (Mips) with growth to 2,000 Mips; signal processing capacity greater than 20 billion operations per second (Bops) with expansion capability to 50 Bops;

CIP contains more than 300 Mbytes of memory with growth potential to 650 Mbytes.

Intra-flight data link automatically shares tactical information between two or more F-22s. Airframe contains provisions for IRST and side-mounted phased-array radar.

http://www.f22fighter.com/avionics.htm
So, serious question here -- how does someone get into avionics software development?  Do any of our resident experts here know?
Go to India..........
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:23:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Go to India..........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like, what the hell is this?  So, in order to ensure the spread of accurate third hand information, I've got to go around banging everyone's girlfriend?  I ain't got time for that.

The Hughes-built Common Integrated Processor (CIP) is the 'brain' of the avionics system. The CIP, which is quite literally the size of a oversized bread box, supports all signal and data processing for all sensors and mission avionics.

There are two CIPs in each F-22, with 66 module slots per CIP. They have identical backplanes, and all of the F-22's processing requirements can be handled by only seven different types of processors. Currently, 19 of 66 slots in CIP 1 and 22 of 66 slots in CIP 2 are not in use and can be used for future growth.

Each module is limited by design to only 75 percent of its capability, so the F-22 has thirty percent growth capability with no change to the existing equipment.

There is space, power, and cooling provisions in the aircraft now for a third CIP, so the requirement for a 200 percent avionics growth capability in the F-22 can be met easily.

CIP also contains mission software that uses tailorable mission planning data for sensor emitter management and multisensor fusion;

mission-specific information delivered to system through Fairchild data transfer equipment that also contains mass storage for default data and air vehicle operational flight programme;

General purpose processing capacity of CIP is rated at more than 700 million instructions per second (Mips) with growth to 2,000 Mips; signal processing capacity greater than 20 billion operations per second (Bops) with expansion capability to 50 Bops;

CIP contains more than 300 Mbytes of memory with growth potential to 650 Mbytes.

Intra-flight data link automatically shares tactical information between two or more F-22s. Airframe contains provisions for IRST and side-mounted phased-array radar.

Go to India..........
Lulz.

Not the kind of avionics I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
And as I always post in Raptor threads, the F-22 is damn near 30 year old technology.
View Quote
That is okay when you are fighting a 7th century culture.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:35:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Go to India..........
View Quote

Pfft.
If he wants to hang with the Indians he can go to SoCal or Seattle, where the majority of people have solid bowel movements, bathe, and use TP.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's a compromise plane, one air frame for the service branches. It will never be a master of anything. It's not a air superiority fighter, it does not have super cruise, it does not thrust vectoring. Sure it's got great electronics, but who says that a new F-22 would not have those and newer/better. My uncle said the next F-22 would be a B model or even a C model. The upgrade work really ended with production, he said the plane has many more untouched capabilities and has allot more to offer than we know. He has said the F-35 will never be in the same class as the F-22 as far as far as air superiority.
View Quote

So now we are talking about upgrading the plane before restarting production?  Yeah, this is totally going to happen in a reasonable time frame with a reasonable price tag.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That is okay when you are fighting a 7th century culture.
View Quote

So is just about any F-1X that is already in production at a lower cost.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I would agree with the Boeing 757, but can you give examples?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tooling for bending and forging the big metal bits will still be around. Those aren't the problem. It's the thousands of other parts that aren't made anymore by companies that don't exist that were staffed by people who have retired, changed careers or have other jobs to do.

You could make something that looks like an f22, but it'd have all new guts and that'd cost more then we are likely willing to pay for and take so long it'd probably not be all that relevant.
I would agree with the Boeing 757, but can you give examples?
All of the significant components under the skin were custom made for the F-22, true for just about any fighter.  The suppliers who made these things have moved on to other stuff.  Those lines, production lines unto themselves, have been shuttered, the engineers scattered to other projects, programs, companies, industries or retired.  This equipment was difficult to produce and integrate the first time - it won't be substantially easier to do so a second time.  The learning curve is significant.  Hell, the re-learning curve is humbling enough.

Many of these suppliers have changed processes from the ones used originally - any time processes are changed, that's a significant hurdle to qual' that component for use on the aircraft.  Maybe they could bring back the old process, maybe not?  Maybe resurrecting the old process is more expensive?

And now we are far enough along that design software obsolescence is a problem.  You're talking about putting together two guys who are probably each two companies removed from their original contractor/vendor relationship.

Currently, the program is in "sustainment".  The folks working sustainment are top notch - most were there for production.  But, bringing the aircraft back into production and flight testing is far bigger than just scaling up their skillsets.

Congress's "vision" for restarting the F-22 is essentially stringing together enough funding to rehire/retask/relocate a bunch of engineers for about two years, at which point the decision will be made that it isn't worth it, and the restart will be terminated.  Nobody is going to show up for A-12 part II.

Put together a meaningful plan that either takes full advantage of the in situ mission system capabilities, or possibly take mission systems to the next level, and then you'd get more interest.  Until then, it just looks like a road to nowhere, and you'd be a fool to hitch a ride down that path.

tl;dr
It's going to be very expensive to bring the aircraft back.
Congress isn't going to commit to the proper level of funding to do so.
At the first sign of cost overruns/schedule delays/mission creep, Congress will kill it.
Congress will claim the moral high ground by saying they tried to do the right thing, but their job is hindered by stupid Americans who can't get their act together.
Everyone who's BTDT sees where this is going.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should consider Cybersecurity if you're retiring in the next year or two.  Hiring like crazy right now.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Why America Simply Can't Build Anymore F-22 Raptors

The Raptor’s avionics were dated even before the jet was declared operational in December 2005. While the Raptor is the most advanced operational warplane in the Air Force’s inventory, its computer architecture dates back to the early 1990s. The core processors run at 25MHz–since it took so long to get the jet from the design phase to production. Moreover, the Raptor’s software is particularly obtuse and difficult to upgrade–which is partly why integrating the AIM-9X and AIM-120D missiles onto the aircraft has been so problematic. The jet’s avionics would have to be completely revamped for a production restart, not just because they’re obsolete, but also because the jet’s antique processors and other components haven’t been made in decades. That would be a very expensive proposition at a time when the Air Force’s budgets are shrinking.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's not what I heard from a E3 USAF Security guys girlfriend I was banging one night right before I left for Macho Grande...
View Quote
Wait a minute… You were over Macho Grande?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:33:40 AM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Raptor’s avionics were dated even before the jet was declared operational in December 2005. While the Raptor is the most advanced operational warplane in the Air Force’s inventory, its computer architecture dates back to the early 1990s. The core processors run at 25MHz–since it took so long to get the jet from the design phase to production. Moreover, the Raptor’s software is particularly obtuse and difficult to upgrade–which is partly why integrating the AIM-9X and AIM-120D missiles onto the aircraft has been so problematic. The jet’s avionics would have to be completely revamped for a production restart, not just because they’re obsolete, but also because the jet’s antique processors and other components haven’t been made in decades. That would be a very expensive proposition at a time when the Air Force’s budgets are shrinking.
No.  Not even close.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
No.  Not even close.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  Not even close.
I was under the impression the F-22's computers were built to be exactly the opposite -- very easy to upgrade and modify and add to.  

Also, talking about the processors being "25Mhz" as though that's an issue is silly -- it all depends on what that particular processor is supposed to do and whether or not it's adequate to do that job.  There are a lot of things a 25mhz processor can do just fine, especially if you have banks and cards full of them all doing their own discrete tasks and voting and talking to each other as I would *assume* one would build an aviation computer to do.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This thread reminded me that I used to love the YF23 and was really bummed when the F22 was chosen over it. Needs moar sexy YF23 pron.

https://s16-us2.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Fyf23fighter.magicbytodd.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F09%2FYF-23_009_1.jpeg&sp=83216e1e5c4ce45cb8382b240aaf33ca
View Quote
probably be cheaper to put these into production...or approximately the same cost as restarting the F-22 line.

They're going to have to bid out all the sub-assemblies that were made by companies that no longer exist, and re-certify every fucking one of them. Might as well build something new.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I was under the impression the F-22's computers were built to be exactly the opposite -- very easy to upgrade and modify and add to.  

Also, talking about the processors being "25Mhz" as though that's an issue is silly -- it all depends on what that particular processor is supposed to do and whether or not it's adequate to do that job.  There are a lot of things a 25mhz processor can do just fine, especially if you have banks and cards full of them all doing their own discrete tasks and voting and talking to each other as I would *assume* one would build an aviation computer to do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  Not even close.

If those things were 25MHz, the F-22 wouldn't have hundreds of pounds of dedicated two-phase vapor cycle refrigeration equipment in it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If those things were 25MHz, the F-22 wouldn't have hundreds of pounds of dedicated two-phase vapor cycle refrigeration equipment in it.
View Quote
Well, 25mhz just doesn't tell us anything about the computer system.  They don't have a PIII ATX motherboard in there, they've most likely built a bunch of custom hardware, possibly custom silicon, and done quite a bit of integration -- so even if there is a "25mhz" processor there, that might be perfectly adequate to do the things it needs to do.  

For a reference, we went to the moon with a computer that used discrete ICs to build its processors, had a 2mhz clock (sort of...) and 2k of core memory -- by which I mean literal magnetic cores in a grid - and had the programs manually woven into rope memory.

3 25mhz computers with 300MB of ram each would be many many times more powerful than that -- even if that's all it has in it.  

I've heard the CIPs compared to multiple CRAYs in terms of computing power.  Not sure how accurate that is, but that would explain your cooling requirements at least -- keep in mind, of course, fabs in the 90's compared to today.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:33:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've heard the CIPs compared to multiple CRAYs in terms of computing power.  Not sure how accurate that is, but that would explain your cooling requirements at least!
View Quote
That's a decent description.

They are impressive space heaters if you forget to power them down.

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19fgtwiqhdwk7jpg/original.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've heard the CIPs compared to multiple CRAYs in terms of computing power.  Not sure how accurate that is, but that would explain your cooling requirements at least!

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19fgtwiqhdwk7jpg/original.jpg
That was an expensive pain in the ass to clean up I bet.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Which part of the Avionics.

I've been involved with the Radar aspect of avionics for the AH-64D, B-1B, and F-22.  Or are you interested in another avionics suite?

For Radar you're looking at Northrop-Grumman ESSD (particularly the facilities around BWI airport) or Hughs.  The only time I've seen ADA used in such a program was for the data reduction system we built for testing.  Northrop uses a variety of languages some commercial (for the general processing) and some that are proprietary (for signal processing in the radar itself).  Have experience programming/software development in several languages helps.  Also note it's often easier to get 'in' by getting hired as a subcontractor (temporary staff).  I worked at NG for 9 years as a contractor (they did ask me to hire on as a 'direct' but the contracting gig was a better deal.
View Quote
Contacting is great if you are retired and have health insurance from somewhere else. I miss the $ but there is no way I could pay for the insurance for a family a 6.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Even dirtied up with external stores JSF should be able to operate in less permissive environments than any 4th Gen.
View Quote
Really?  Bombs don't show up on radar?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
We are 6 years past the shutdown of the production line.

It's not coming back.  
View Quote
It's unlikely it's coming back, but never say never.

U-2 manufacturing ended in 1969 after a production run beginning in 1955.  Production resumed in 1980 as the TR-1/U-2R and the number of U-2 airframes produced doubled from somewhere in the 50s to over 100.

The C-5 is another example.  C-5A production ended in 1973 and the line was mothballed.  In 1985 after much lobbying by Lockheed the C-5B entered production.

If Lockheed Martin is putting pressure on Congress to re-open the F-22 production line as an F-22B that uses the F-35's avionics then I will not close the door to any chance of F-22 production restarting.

They have a track record of making such things happen.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#49]
I get that it would be expensive - but you have drawings, specs, working models, and you know it works.   You have skilled manufacturers that know how to build / engineer critical hardware, even if they haven't built that specific piece before.   It's always easier to recreate something that's been done before than it is to start over.

Difficult? - Sure.

Expensive?  Sure, but it has to be less than starting over since you have a working design and you don't have to repeat that phase of the project.

Get military aircraft mfgs together that aren't working on the JSF and get it going if there is a need for it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Really?  Bombs don't show up on radar?
View Quote
Hence my use of "dirtied up".

Stealth is only part of what allows JSF to penetrate contested air space.

The F-35 carrying bomb loads externally is still much more advanced than any 4th Gen.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top