More metrics then a General Officer OPR
RAND F-22 Production Restart Study
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
More metrics then a General Officer OPR
RAND F-22 Production Restart Study
However, other issues are likely to hinder the program’s restart capabilities.
These issues include requalifying the vendor base, as well as concerns over the availability of skilled labor, processes, facilities, and tooling used by firms supporting F-22A production.
All these issues are likely to affect suppliers’ ability to provide the same parts when production starts again as they provided when it closed down.
Some parts will be technologically obsolete; in other cases, the facilities dedicated to making those parts will have closed down or will have been diverted to manufacturing other parts
http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/solution-americas-f-35-nightmare-why-not-build-more-f-22s-13858

The first problem is that while Lockheed and the Air Force supposedly made every effort to carefully squirrel away the tooling and instructions for building the F-22, problems have emerged when maintenance crews have attempted to pull the equipment in order to repair damaged jets.

One recently retired Air Force official with direct knowledge about the service’s efforts to repair two damaged Raptors said that they faced severe difficulties with retrieving the correct tooling.
In one example, Air Force maintainers needed to build a particular component from scratch to replace a severely damaged part for an F-22.
The crews went into the Conex boxes where the tooling and instructions to build the part were allegedly stored, but to their considerable surprise and aggravation, the container was empty.
The same pattern repeated itself several times—and as of the last time the source checked–the issue remains unresolved.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ok, so it's amazing.  That just reiterates my point that we should finish the F-35 instead of spending a shitload of money to restart production of a 30yo model.  

BTW, restarting production is almost certainly going to cost FAR more and take significantly longer than anyone predicts.  Of course, this could be the first government-funded project in history that comes in on time and under budget, but I could also find a winning mega millions ticket on the ground tomorrow with Megan Fox's personal number on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not "decent"; the F-35 is already an amazing aircraft. It was meant as like a cheap Stealth replacement for the DO-ALL, F16. But those projections were pie in the sky.
Ok, so it's amazing.  That just reiterates my point that we should finish the F-35 instead of spending a shitload of money to restart production of a 30yo model.  

BTW, restarting production is almost certainly going to cost FAR more and take significantly longer than anyone predicts.  Of course, this could be the first government-funded project in history that comes in on time and under budget, but I could also find a winning mega millions ticket on the ground tomorrow with Megan Fox's personal number on it.
It's a compromise plane, one air frame for the service branches. It will never be a master of anything. It's not a air superiority fighter, it does not have super cruise, it does not thrust vectoring. Sure it's got great electronics, but who says that a new F-22 would not have those and newer/better. My uncle said the next F-22 would be a B model or even a C model. The upgrade work really ended with production, he said the plane has many more untouched capabilities and has allot more to offer than we know. He has said the F-35 will never be in the same class as the F-22 as far as far as air superiority.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It's a compromise plane, one air frame for the service branches. It will never be a master of anything. It's not a air superiority fighter, it does not have super cruise, it does not thrust vectoring. Sure it's got great electronics, but who says that a new F-22 would not have those and newer/better. My uncle said the next F-22 would be a B model or even a C model. The upgrade work really ended with production, he said the plane has many more untouched capabilities and has allot more to offer than we know. He has said the F-35 will never be in the same class as the F-22 as far as far as air superiority.
View Quote
At some point in time people will grasp the concept that the F-35 is not an "Air Superiority" fighter, that it's not a bomb truck and that it's not a CAS aircraft.

It's going to be the motherfucker that tells everyone else what the fuck to do and how to do it.

The F-22 suffers from the same issues that the F-18A-D suffers from, there's no room for growth.
They built the aircraft around the avionics and bomb bay. You can only stuff 5 pounds of shit into a sock that holds 5 pounds.
If the Super Size it, that's a different story.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yep we are going to need a lot of airframes not just a few dozen stealth fighters in any all out war.

300 brand new F-15s will replace all of the F-15C models currently in service plus double the current F-15 strength if you don't include the Strike Eagles.  Reactivate some Cold War squadrons and fill them up.

Have the Navy buy some more Growlers and get the Marine Corps into the game since their Prowlers are going out to compensate for lack of stealth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy 300 new F-15's as a stop gap measure as we await the F-22 replacement since the production line is still open. We need actual airframes to do the missions.  Yes I know they're 2 seat models only but it's still the best thing available that's still being made
Especially if they improved upon the F-15E, which was already large upgrade from the previous models.

It is not like a new, even better Eagle with modern avionics would have many credible threats against them.  I just hate how we sell them like candy these days.....I hope we install some sort of kill switch on those.

When the new F-22s start showing up again then you can retire all the A/C models and maybe some of the oldest Es.  Supposedly the airframes on the E were so much improved though they can fly for years to come without the same issues with wing failures.
Yep we are going to need a lot of airframes not just a few dozen stealth fighters in any all out war.

300 brand new F-15s will replace all of the F-15C models currently in service plus double the current F-15 strength if you don't include the Strike Eagles.  Reactivate some Cold War squadrons and fill them up.

Have the Navy buy some more Growlers and get the Marine Corps into the game since their Prowlers are going out to compensate for lack of stealth.
Interesting thing to note. The USMC and the USAF don't have any jammers. If I recall the USN operates some Growler squadrons embedded into the USAF? What is the USMC's plan? I know they're trying their hardest not to get any Super Hornets.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#6]
We need more F35s
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#7]
So for you experts out there (and I mean that seriously) how much more difficult would it be to restart the F22 program as sort of a 'Super Lightning' (upgraded a/c) versus like the Super Hornet (versus Hornet) or the F-15E (versus F-15C)?

Personally I'd love to see sort of an advanced F-16 using what we learned from the F-22 and 35 projects. A relatively cheap, lightweight fighter.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Tooling for bending and forging the big metal bits will still be around. Those aren't the problem. It's the thousands of other parts that aren't made anymore by companies that don't exist that were staffed by people who have retired, changed careers or have other jobs to do.

You could make something that looks like an f22, but it'd have all new guts and that'd cost more then we are likely willing to pay for and take so long it'd probably not be all that relevant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do we even have the tooling any more? DoD is infamous for destroying tooling when the program is over.
Tooling for bending and forging the big metal bits will still be around. Those aren't the problem. It's the thousands of other parts that aren't made anymore by companies that don't exist that were staffed by people who have retired, changed careers or have other jobs to do.

You could make something that looks like an f22, but it'd have all new guts and that'd cost more then we are likely willing to pay for and take so long it'd probably not be all that relevant.
Hardware and software for systems would have to re-designed and that costs $$$$$.  Company I work for made F22 components.  Old tech.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Trump will not win a single primary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Won't happen. Ever.
Trump will not win a single primary.
I've been in the F-22 program for over a decade. I understand the cost of operating and sustaining the aircraft better than 99% of the people here. Doubt me all you want. But, restarting the line after 4+ years will never happen.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Okay, how does it work?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know you don't know. But, spares and squadron aircraft useage and availability don't work like that.
Okay, how does it work?
Two important points. Squadrons aren't used for "parts aircraft" no matter the vintage. Also, aircraft delivered to a squadron don't include "spares". 26 aircraft delivered means 26 aircraft in the rotation.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Interesting thing to note. The USMC and the USAF don't have any jammers.
If I recall the USN operates some Growler squadrons embedded into the USAF?
What is the USMC's plan? I know they're trying their hardest not to get any Super Hornets.
View Quote
The USAF has aircrew embedded within the Navy's "Expeditionary" squadrons.
https://www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnrnw/installations/nas_whidbey_island/about/tenant_commands/390th-electronic-combat-squadron.html

Don't tell anyone this, when the USMC gets their full complement of F-35B's and they get all of the NGJ's they ordered they won't need the Navy's Growlers or their EA-6B's.
You didn't hear this from me.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Two important points. Squadrons aren't used for "parts aircraft" no matter the vintage. Also, aircraft delivered to a squadron don't include "spares". 26 aircraft delivered means 26 aircraft in the rotation.
View Quote
I've always thought that every military aircraft order ought to include an additional 50-100% of "short blocks"... basically airframes without engines, electronics, etc.  Just keep them wrapped up in a cool dry place until they are needed to replace end-of-life (or lost) aircraft.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
First point -
Never heard of the hangar queen concept of maintenance I take it.

Second Point -
Spares are bought with the aircraft and placed into the "spares pool" for that aircraft via the supply system.
While the actual squadron might not see the spare nuts and bolts rest assured that they were bought and they are in the supply system.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#14]
300+ more F35s would be a better stop gap until the 6th gen stuff becomes real.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The F-22 suffers from the same issues that the F-18A-D suffers from, there's no room for growth.
View Quote
The F-22 has ample accommodation for avionics growth.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This, and I had a uncle who was a engineer for LM, and he has said everything was saved and carfully stored as they have always planned on a restart. He stated a year or so ago when we're talking about it, even if 5 years or more went by every last thing about that plane and it's production was saved. He even stated that unused materials were saved and stored. He said the biggest problem and time consumer would be setting up a factory and getting the equipment into place. They could start training people pretty quick and actually have that all completed in time for hand on training. He said never in his history has he seen such a complete and care disassembly and storage of tools and equipment. He said everything was photographed and videoed of where stuff went and how it was disassembled. When it was moved into a different storage area to free up room for F-35 production it was re-stored in a way that the fist stuff out, is the first to be installed.
View Quote
Another consideration is vetting the workforce.

Everyone has to be cleared.  With the Chinese hack of F-35 with the thumb drive, it's a very difficult process to vet everyone and maintain program security.

It still can be done with the right leadership.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The F-22 didn't appear to have been designed for ease of manufacturing. Some of the composite parts I saw used some unique processes that aren't really common in the industry. composite tooling in this industry isn't quick or easy to get up and going. There is always some trial and error before the bond jigs and such are making decent and repeatable parts, sometimes usually more than a year IME.
View Quote
it doesn't matter. a carbon-copy F-22 won't be built.
the composite materials used now are different ( better in every way)  from the stuff used in the 1990s.
tool design and build are much better and faster than they used to be. Those "unique processes" are now better and fairly commonplace and it's much more efficient to tool, lay up, cure, and trim a composite part.
a year to design a layup tool? maybe if the design guys keep changing the part design.
give a tooling guy a released model and the tool design is measured in weeks, with build and QC taking a few more weeks.

here's a good breakdown of layup tooling concerns; keep in mind that for every composite part mold there is probably a holding fixture for trim, as well as bond tools to position and hold multiple parts for join.
layup tooling  787

then you have the assembly tooling...
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's not what I heard from a E3 USAF Security guys girlfriend I was banging one night right before I left for Macho Grande...
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#19]
The F-22's were bad ass, I'm glad they are bringing it back. I bet the crew chiefs on the F-15's are glad also. They would love to ditch those old broken down jets with new F-22's. 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

it doesn't matter. a carbon-copy F-22 won't be built.
the composite materials used now are different ( better in every way)  from the stuff used in the 1990s.
tool design and build are much better and faster than they used to be. Those "unique processes" are now better and fairly commonplace and it's much more efficient to tool, lay up, cure, and trim a composite part.
a year to design a layup tool? maybe if the design guys keep changing the part design.
give a tooling guy a released model and the tool design is measured in weeks, with build and QC taking a few more weeks.

here's a good breakdown of layup tooling concerns; keep in mind that for every composite part mold there is probably a holding fixture for trim, as well as bond tools to position and hold multiple parts for join.
layup tooling  787

then you have the assembly tooling...
View Quote
We really don't know what exactly what or what not is used, we also don't know what the exact process is either. I do know that it can be done and it would be better.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
300+ more F35s would be a better stop gap until the 6th gen stuff becomes real.
View Quote
To do what?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That's not what I heard from a E3 USAF Security guys girlfriend I was banging one night right before I left for Macho Grande...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like, what the hell is this?  So, in order to ensure the spread of accurate third hand information, I've got to go around banging everyone's girlfriend?  I ain't got time for that.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

We really don't know what exactly what or what not is used, we also don't know what the exact process is either. I do know that it can be done and it would be better.
View Quote
WAT?

are you Donald Rumsfeld?

Donald Rumsfeld Unknown Unknowns !
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

At some point in time people will grasp the concept that the F-35 is not an "Air Superiority" fighter, that it's not a bomb truck and that it's not a CAS aircraft.

It's going to be the motherfucker that tells everyone else what the fuck to do and how to do it.

They built the aircraft around the avionics and bomb bay. You can only stuff 5 pounds of shit into a sock that holds 5 pounds.
If the Super Size it, that's a different story.
View Quote
That's what I was leading to, but ran out of words for what it really does do so much better to justify it, it's a none of the above airplane that we don't need a shit ton of either. Had the navy and marines not been involved I'm betting the Air Force would have scrapped it years ago. My uncle said there was a reason for doing it that way, it essentially kept it alive even if it ended up being the biggest piece of shit flying.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Like, what the hell is this?  So, in order to ensure the spread of accurate third hand information, I've got to go around banging everyone's girlfriend?  I ain't got time for that.
View Quote
I sure ain't got time to read all dat!

2.1 Common Integrated Processor (CIP)

The Hughes-built Common Integrated Processor (CIP) is the 'brain' of the avionics system. The CIP, which is quite literally the size of a oversized bread box, supports all signal and data processing for all sensors and mission avionics.

There are two CIPs in each F-22, with 66 module slots per CIP. They have identical backplanes, and all of the F-22's processing requirements can be handled by only seven different types of processors. Currently, 19 of 66 slots in CIP 1 and 22 of 66 slots in CIP 2 are not in use and can be used for future growth.

Each module is limited by design to only 75 percent of its capability, so the F-22 has thirty percent growth capability with no change to the existing equipment.

There is space, power, and cooling provisions in the aircraft now for a third CIP, so the requirement for a 200 percent avionics growth capability in the F-22 can be met easily.

CIP also contains mission software that uses tailorable mission planning data for sensor emitter management and multisensor fusion;

mission-specific information delivered to system through Fairchild data transfer equipment that also contains mass storage for default data and air vehicle operational flight programme;

General purpose processing capacity of CIP is rated at more than 700 million instructions per second (Mips) with growth to 2,000 Mips; signal processing capacity greater than 20 billion operations per second (Bops) with expansion capability to 50 Bops;

CIP contains more than 300 Mbytes of memory with growth potential to 650 Mbytes.

Intra-flight data link automatically shares tactical information between two or more F-22s. Airframe contains provisions for IRST and side-mounted phased-array radar.

http://www.f22fighter.com/avionics.htm
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnrnw/installations/nas_whidbey_island/about/tenant_commands/390th-electronic-combat-squadron.html

Don't tell anyone this, when the USMC gets their full complement of F-35B's and they get all of the NGJ's they ordered they won't need the Navy's Growlers or their EA-6B's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting thing to note. The USMC and the USAF don't have any jammers.
If I recall the USN operates some Growler squadrons embedded into the USAF?
What is the USMC's plan? I know they're trying their hardest not to get any Super Hornets.

And how many more years or decades until they finally get the airframes, all the software updates, and then all the sensors to work correctly?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

WAT?

are you Donald Rumsfeld?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiPe1OiKQuk
View Quote
I know what is used, what was used and what would most likely be used. The materials haven't evolved much since the 90's really. There is a lot of work being done with out of autoclave stuff, some of the processes have evolved, but not the ones I was speaking of.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I love/hate these threads.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
First point -

Second Point -
Spares are bought with the aircraft and placed into the "spares pool" for that aircraft via the supply system.
While the actual squadron might not see the spare nuts and bolts rest assured that they were bought and they are in the supply system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First point -

Second Point -
He was talking about spare aircraft specifically. And, "hangar queen" is a result of the CANN program; extensive maintenance/parts issues notwithstanding. But, please, dont let me stop you from your attempt at belittling me.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know you don't know. But, spares and squadron aircraft useage and availability don't work like that.
Okay, how does it work?
Really?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Really?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, how does it work?
Really?
Yes. Aircraft aren't delivered with the intent to be used as parts aircraft (again, the CANN program notwithstanding). Parts are generally included in the contract to buy a certain lot of aircraft. We don't just go and take them off other aircraft unless required.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wut?

We are supposed to be buying a shit load of JSF so anyone who thinks it won't be hauling bombs is mistaken.

JSF is a better "Air Superiority" fighter than the F-15C and second only to the Raptor world wide.

What bomb trucks and CAS airframes will the Marines F-35Bs be directing?

A JSF can carry more ordnance externally than the F-18 or F-16 with longer legs and we will have more of them according to the plan.

Even dirtied up with external stores JSF should be able to operate in less permissive environments than any 4th Gen.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Carbon fiber production has improved drastically since F-22 IOC and final production even.

The stuff they are doing local to me is pretty impressive for aerospace industry.

If you look at the ability to make larger structures that have less parts, are stronger, and lighter weight, a new F-22 production line could be streamlined somewhat from the original.

Look at what has happened with aerospace performance goals for fuel efficiency and noise cancellation using carbon fiber, then think about how the internal stealth structure of the F-22 would benefit.

Laminates have gotten better, 3D modeling has gotten better, prototyping has gotten better.

Problem is you would also need to re-do flight testing for the airframe and any new structures.

Good thing is they have a lot of operational data for the F-119 engines.  A lighter, stronger F-22 would be crazy in thrust-to-weight ratio, stores carrying capacity, and room for growth.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The Hughes-built Common Integrated Processor (CIP) is the 'brain' of the avionics system. The CIP, which is quite literally the size of a oversized bread box, supports all signal and data processing for all sensors and mission avionics.

There are two CIPs in each F-22, with 66 module slots per CIP. They have identical backplanes, and all of the F-22's processing requirements can be handled by only seven different types of processors. Currently, 19 of 66 slots in CIP 1 and 22 of 66 slots in CIP 2 are not in use and can be used for future growth.

Each module is limited by design to only 75 percent of its capability, so the F-22 has thirty percent growth capability with no change to the existing equipment.

There is space, power, and cooling provisions in the aircraft now for a third CIP, so the requirement for a 200 percent avionics growth capability in the F-22 can be met easily.

CIP also contains mission software that uses tailorable mission planning data for sensor emitter management and multisensor fusion;

mission-specific information delivered to system through Fairchild data transfer equipment that also contains mass storage for default data and air vehicle operational flight programme;

General purpose processing capacity of CIP is rated at more than 700 million instructions per second (Mips) with growth to 2,000 Mips; signal processing capacity greater than 20 billion operations per second (Bops) with expansion capability to 50 Bops;

CIP contains more than 300 Mbytes of memory with growth potential to 650 Mbytes.

Intra-flight data link automatically shares tactical information between two or more F-22s. Airframe contains provisions for IRST and side-mounted phased-array radar.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, serious question here -- how does someone get into avionics software development?  Do any of our resident experts here know?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So, serious question here -- how does someone get into avionics software development?  Do any of our resident experts here know?
View Quote
Keep an eye out for postings from suppliers like Raytheon, Hughes, TRW, Northrop, etc, or with the lead integrators like Boeing/Lockheed/Northrop.  I'm not really sure about the resume buzzwords, and coming from naval surface stuff, you're in a whole different arena of buzzwords, but something is going to click with someone.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#36]
We should start building them yesterday.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yes. Aircraft aren't delivered with the intent to be used as parts aircraft (again, the CANN program notwithstanding). Parts are generally included in the contract to buy a certain lot of aircraft. We don't just go and take them off other aircraft unless required.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, how does it work?
Really?
Do you work for DLA?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Do you work for DLA?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, how does it work?
Really?
Do you work for DLA?
No. Unfortunately I have to deal with them from time to time though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:12:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How much more difficult would it be to restart the F22 program as sort of a 'Super Lightning' (upgraded a/c) versus like the Super Hornet (versus Hornet) or the F-15E (versus F-15C)?

Personally I'd love to see sort of an advanced F-16 using what we learned from the F-22 and 35 projects. A relatively cheap, lightweight fighter.
View Quote
They already have advanced F-16E/F being sold to UAE for $200 million per airframe and full package suite of modern engine, electronics, and other systems.  

They cost more than the F-35A/B/C and F-22A.

"Advanced" nowadays means IRST, FADEC, DFLCS, AESA, CFTs, integrated weapons capabilities, electro-optical targeting systems, ASPJ (Advanced Self Protection Jammer ECM and ECCM suite), glass cockpit, JHMCS, Improved Performance Engine, data link, etc.

Each one of those components or sub-systems averages millions of dollars.  The "lower cost" systems are in the hundreds of thousands, even for the helmet.  AESA radars and FADEC/DFLCS Improved Performance Engines are millions each.  You start with a base airframe that costs tens of millions, then start adding on a few million here, a few million there.  It adds up, then you have a $200 million F-16, which was meant to be a cheap, lightweight day fighter to beat the MiG-21 at everything.

None of them individually or collectively are on-par with what the F-35 has, where it was conceived, designed, engineered, and is being continually tested with all of these capabilities in mind, plus several other generational capabilities that the teen fighters never had and don't have the provision for structurally or with their upgrade architecture.

If you want advanced and low cost, the arrows go in opposite directions for your request.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
the software people I bumped into at Lockheed were Computer Science majors. Plenty of master's degrees there.
check with Embry-Riddle for aircraft-specific software education.

once you have the education, check the websites for Boeing, Lockheed Martin, etc. They all have systems for you to apply to jobs online.
once you put your resume on their site for one job, HR will search the site for skills and find you if you're a match.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Replace it with a good drone.  Fighter planes are just a flying gun (or flying missile base).
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
the software people I bumped into at Lockheed were Computer Science majors. Plenty of master's degrees there.

once you have the education, check the websites for Boeing, Lockheed Martin, etc. They all have systems for you to apply to jobs online.
once you put your resume on their site for one job, HR will search the site for skills and find you if you're a match.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got the education, I have a feeling I don't have the specific skillsets they're looking for (ADA maybe?).  It's something I'll be looking into over the next few years though -- I'm also going to get an MSCS, I have an MS in a slightly different but related field.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I've got the education, I have a feeling I don't have the specific skillsets they're looking for (ADA maybe?).  It's something I'll be looking into over the next few years though -- I'm also going to get an MSCS, I have an MS in a slightly different but related field.
View Quote
find out what you can through .mil  sources you have and get some specific education, then.
a solid software background and real world .mil aviation experience may be enough to get you noticed; LM has a shitload of software people.
how long til retirement for you?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
find out what you can through .mil  sources you have and get some specific education, then.
a solid software background and real world .mil aviation experience may be enough to get you noticed; LM has a shitload of software people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I retire in a few months -- I've already got a software dev job lined up (some real specialty stuff that I've worked with on active duty), so I'm not too worried about a job right now, but avionics development is the sort of thing I've always wanted to do.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Pretty sure it would be faster and cheaper to just increase the development tempo of Gen 6.
View Quote
[doit.jpg]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, how does it work?
Really?
Do you work for DLA?
Indeed!
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Question for the Subject Matter Experts in the thread: how is restarting the F22 production line different from Reagan restarting the B1 line in the 80s?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would agree with the Boeing 757, but can you give examples?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top