Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unpossible.
GD said so
View Quote
Won't happen. Ever.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Do we even have the tooling any more? DoD is infamous for destroying tooling when the program is over.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty sure it would be faster and cheaper to just increase the development tempo of Gen 6.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:55:49 PM EDT
[#7]
They can consider it all they want.  It would cost a metric shit ton of money and we're out.  Half the Navy's air fleet is sitting on the ground awaiting repair funds.  

Yes, I know. Abolish welfare, social security, medicare, medicaid, the national parks, federal pensions, the FBI, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny.  Dear God anything to get more F-22's.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#8]
F22 was set up to be retooled quickly from what I have been told here. They went so far as to record each mans job in detail
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do we even have the tooling any more? DoD is infamous for destroying tooling when the program is over.
View Quote
Tooling for bending and forging the big metal bits will still be around. Those aren't the problem. It's the thousands of other parts that aren't made anymore by companies that don't exist that were staffed by people who have retired, changed careers or have other jobs to do.

You could make something that looks like an f22, but it'd have all new guts and that'd cost more then we are likely willing to pay for and take so long it'd probably not be all that relevant.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
F22 was set up to be retooled quickly from what I have been told here. They went so far as to record each mans job in detail
View Quote
Someone here, who is into all that aerospace stuff, said that they put the tooling in storage and saved ever bit of data related to building the things.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#11]
And as I always post in Raptor threads, the F-22 is damn near 30 year old technology.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#12]
We are 6 years past the shutdown of the production line.

It's not coming back.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And as I always post in Raptor threads, the F-22 is damn near 30 year old technology.
View Quote
So is a glock.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
This we should put money to the next generation of fighters instead.

What's pathetic is the F-22 uses tech three decades old and is better than anything our peers will be fielding for the forseable future.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Does the airforce even want them at this point?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does the airforce even want them at this point?
View Quote
A very good question.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We are 6 years past the shutdown of the production line.

It's not coming back.
View Quote
L_JE said it.

I believe it.

That settles it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Limited time only with every 20 Raptors get 1 Battleship for free.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Buy 300 new F-15's as a stop gap measure as we await the F-22 replacement since the production line is still open. We need actual airframes to do the missions.  Yes I know they're 2 seat models only but it's still the best thing available that's still being made
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:10:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Limited time only with every 20 Raptors get 1 Battleship for free.
View Quote
GD be like....

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Tooling for bending and forging the big metal bits will still be around. Those aren't the problem. It's the thousands of other parts that aren't made anymore by companies that don't exist that were staffed by people who have retired, changed careers or have other jobs to do.

You could make something that looks like an f22, but it'd have all new guts and that'd cost more then we are likely willing to pay for and take so long it'd probably not be all that relevant.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, the Super Hornet plan.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Buy 300 new F-15's as a stop gap measure as we await the F-22 replacement since the production line is still open. We need actual airframes to do the missions.  Yes I know they're 2 seat models only but it's still the best thing available that's still being made
View Quote
That's the most practical, but we can't just sole-source something like this so we'll have to have a competition and a couple of protests followed by a general going to prison before we try again.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
More important than airframes  you need people.  And you don't have enough of those either.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Just speed up the 6th gen fighters... you know there are some technology demonstrators that have been out there floating around.

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Congress can also consider enacting a law requiring that it never rains on holiday weekends.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That's the most practical, but we can't just sole-source something like this so we'll have to have a competition and a couple of protests followed by a general going to prison before we try again.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But aren't F-15s, aside from Strike Eagles, out of production? I'm sure they could do the air to air role pretty good as well, but then you need to train two crew members per plane. Which I'm going to assume costs a lot.

But, this does look awesome.

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#27]
can Congress demand Ivanka to sleep with me?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

But aren't F-15s, aside from Strike Eagles, out of production? I'm sure they could do the air to air role pretty good as well, but then you need to train two crew members per plane. Which I'm going to assume costs a lot.

http://militaryedge.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/f-15sa_4.jpg
View Quote
We are currently building the fly-by-wire Saudi variant
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#29]
I love the Raptor. LOVE IT.

But, this layman agrees with increased funding and speeding up Gen6.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:25:13 PM EDT
[#30]
This is probably just step 1 in asking for increased funding for a new one.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't have to operate them with a guy in the back.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Someone here, who is into all that aerospace stuff, said that they put the tooling in storage and saved ever bit of data related to building the things.
View Quote
nobody cares about the old tooling. you aren't going to build a new batch of jets worth billion$ with old-ass tools.
Changes would be made to the jet design which would make the old tools obsolete in many cases; if an old tool was still appropriate, new ones would be built from released engineering.

there's nothing magical about tooling; it's built from engineered designs ( 3D CAD models/ 2D drawings ), not built at night by the Keebler elves.

F-22 isn't restarting.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#33]
More metrics then a General Officer OPR

RAND F-22 Production Restart Study
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Unpossible.
GD said so
View Quote
But the polls said....!
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Over the last 20 years, DOD has evaluated future needs versus available resources and determined that it was less expensive to reduce F-22 orders, pay the resulting increased price per ship, and ultimately pay contract termination penalties, than to go through with the whole order and fly a fleet of that size through its projected service life.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#36]
F-22B, with avionics and LO upgrades from the F-35 program.

China is aggressively building 2 stealth fighters to counter the F-22 and F-35, namely the J-20 and F-31.

Russia is building the PAK-FA, if India continues to fund it.

Japan is building the Mitsubishi X-2 already.

Turkey, South Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Sweden are all looking at design concepts for domestic production as well.

All the major militaries of the world who keep track of defense capabilities have seen what the US 5th Gen fighters can do, even with limited displays operationally, and they know their Air Defense posture is severely threatened by 5th Gen.

With China already flying 2 prototypes, everyone who is currently relying on 4th Gen in those regions has a fire lit underneath them to get the ball rolling.

Traitors Gates, Barack Hussein, and McStain accomplished one of the main missions assigned to them by the Russian-Chinese-Iranian-Syrian Axis, which was to kill the F-22 production line.  There's a reason why so many people went to the efforts they did to preserve the tooling and details of the program.

With the right leadership team, we can make the next production model F-22 that will add new capabilities that the A model never had.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
The last F-22 was delivered in April of 2011.  We are now 4+ years beyond the "long" window analyzed in that study.  Furthermore, in my opinion, that report was overly optimistic at the time of its writing.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
But the polls said....!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unpossible.
GD said so
But the polls said....!
It's possible.  It would just be uneconomical and stupid.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Unpossible.
GD said so
View Quote
But if they did...

Sure would be a great way to waste more money though... Shut it down early and restart it late...
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:36:20 PM EDT
[#40]
It's not a prudent use of limited resources.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If they could do it though, and cost far less than the F35 per unit... https://media.giphy.com/media/26ufdipQqU2lhNA4g/giphy.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unpossible.
GD said so
If they could do it though, and cost far less than the F35 per unit... https://media.giphy.com/media/26ufdipQqU2lhNA4g/giphy.gif
Getting them to take off vertically, or from a carrier even, could drive the cost up.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
That was commissioned by my former neighbor.

He used to be a test pilot with the F-16 CTF at Edwards.  He started out in F-4s in the Philippines.

Ended up becoming the F-22 PEO many years later.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Has the US stopped fighter plane production?  If not, what are we ordering more of?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#44]
This thread reminded me that I used to love the YF23 and was really bummed when the F22 was chosen over it. Needs moar sexy YF23 pron.

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Not so fast -

Restarting production of the F-22 stealth fighter would be "very expensive," the Air Force has found, and it has no plans for now to pursue it, Secretary Heather Wilson said on Wednesday.

Doing the initial work such as machining and tooling to get the production line ready would take about $7 billion to $10 billion, and then each Raptor would cost about $200 million, Wilson said.
View Quote
USAF says nyet to F-22s
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We need to replace the old C models.  These new fly-by-wires would be a perfect fit.  Upgraded avionics, radars, etc.  Hell, even our own Strike Eagles are getting worn out.  Just replace them all with brand new Eagles
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Boooooooooooooo
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#48]
... as much as I love the F22 Raptor, that is simply unfathomable for someone that spent his 35 years career in the business
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What particular point do you disagree with?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top