Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/21/2017 10:14:57 AM EDT
What started as a controversy about two posts escalated as more of her comments materialized.

Yelp is a website where anyone can rate restaurants and various services, theoretically allowing others to benefit from your experiences. Of course these days, that also means plenty of reviews that share writers' biases about all kinds of things irrelevant to food being served or services provided.

When you are a dean at Yale University, and have expressed such biases repeatedly on Yelp, it can be dangerous to one's reputation to have such comments circulate widely.

June Chu is a dean of Yale's Pierson College (a position that involves leadership of a residential college, not an academic deanship). For weeks now, Yale students have been circulating some of her Yelp reviews that denigrated various groups. Her comments frequently didn't focus on the restaurant she was commenting on, but on groups of people she saw there, on which she offered her criticism. For example, in a much-quoted review of a restaurant (above) she wrote, "If you are white trash, this is the perfect night out for you." In a review of a movie theater, she praised the "lack of sketchy crowds, despite it being in New Haven." In a review of another movie theater, she wrote about "barely educated morons trying to manage snack order for the obese …."

The Yale Daily News, which broke the story, has published a selection of the Yelp reviews here.

When the story first broke, and Chu apologized to her students, Yale seemed to regard the incident as unfortunate, but not necessarily career altering.

As the week went on, however, more and more Yelp reviews by Chu, containing insults, materialized (many of them promptly shared on social media), and Yale's position changed. (Chu has taken down her Yelp account but is not commenting.)

Stephen Davis, a professor of religious studies and history who is head of Pierson College, on Thursday sent a note to students and others, in which he said his views on the situation had evolved. At the beginning of the week, he said, based on discussions with Chu, "I was convinced that her apology was genuine, because I believed that those posts were not representative of her and of the good work I had seen Dean Chu do in her capacity as dean, and because I still had hope for the possibility of envisioning a path toward healing and reconciliation." He also believed that the issue was about two posts.

But as the days progressed, and more posts became public, he said his views changed.

"Today I am grieving because I no longer can envision such a way forward," he wrote, because Chu "was in fact responsible for multiple reprehensible posts, enough to represent a more widespread pattern. The additional posts that surfaced compounded the harm of the initial two, and they also further damaged my trust and confidence in Dean Chu’s accountability to me and ability to lead the students of Pierson College. Let me be clear. No one, especially those in trusted positions of educating young people, should denigrate or stereotype others, and that extends to any form of discrimination based on class, race, religion, age, disability, gender identity or sexual orientation. Yale unequivocally values respect for all."

Many of Chu's critics at Yale have also noted a contrast between her Yelp reviews and the sentiments she expressed in an Inside Higher Ed essay last year. She wrote in the essay about the challenges of counseling students on careers and life when their goals may be influenced (or not) by their backgrounds. In the piece, she wrote about how those who advise students must show respect for their values to "connect and encourage" them.
Link
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll bet she is a member of the political party of Tolerance and Love.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#2]
"Today I am grieving..."

Give me a fucking break.  If these little flower professors weren't insulated in their academic cocoon, they wouldn't last 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Billion Dollar Bully - Kickstarter Trailer
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
In her heart I'm sure she is, but she is registered as unaffiliated.

Looks like she registered just to vote for hilldawg.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#5]
You reap what you sow.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I didn't see anything terrible in the examples listed other than her being a bitch.  Not a smart move but nothing surprising to me. 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I didn't see anything terrible in the examples listed other than her being a bitch.  Not a smart move but nothing surprising to me. 
View Quote
She piously preached "you must not just tolerate people who are different from you, you must celebrate them!" to her captive audience of impressionable young college students.

Then she turns out to be a racist bitch on social media for the whole world to see.

That makes her a bald-faced lying hypocrite.  I wonder how many times she has spanked students in her college for BadThink, all the while being a BadThink practitoner herself.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I was hoping she'd do a Yelp review of my basement sex dungeon.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Just cannot shut her mouth.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:00:29 PM EDT
[#11]
She's important enough to have a wiki page?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#12]
"The Yelper Special" (Original Music) - SOUTH PARK
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pretty much this. While I don't agree with her I do support her right to call me white trash, and frankly I really don't give a shit outside of that.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pretty much this. While I don't agree with her I do support her right to call me white trash, and frankly I really don't give outside of that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty much this. While I don't agree with her I do support her right to call me white trash, and frankly I really don't give outside of that.

I'm of the same opinion.  
Really?  She gets put on leave for having an opinion on a website whose whole purpose is seeking unvarnished opinions?  
Just more Special Snowflake derp about "muh Feels" and "muh Diversity" from the institutions that are molding the minds of our youth.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm of the same opinion.  
Really?  She gets put on leave for having an opinion on a website whose whole purpose is seeking unvarnished opinions?  
Just more Special Snowflake derp about "muh Feels" and "muh Diversity" from the institutions that are molding the minds of our youth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm of the same opinion.  
Try being a white guy in academia who leaves a yelp review about a Japanese sushi and steak house stating, "these gooks can cook! My appetite could go Tora Tora Tora on that place again!"  You would be flung out of Yale at light-speed.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Try being a white guy in academia who leaves a yelp review about a Japanese sushi and steak house stating, "these gooks can cook! My appetite could go Tora Tora Tora on that place again!"  You would be flung out of Yale at light-speed.
View Quote
And that would also be lame.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well... She's a woman...

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#19]
It's a pretty shitty society we've built when you can get fired for what you say away from work.  Would you want your employer to see what you post here on ARFCOM?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm of the same opinion.  
Then this is a win?  Or should we be going the other direction? 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Meh, her reviews make her sound like an arfcommer.  Well, an angry lesbian arfcommer with a slanted point of view, so probably a 13'er.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm of the same opinion.  
Or wrote an e-mail saying students should be able to dress themselves on Holloween, What if he had said something like "if you don’t like a costume someone is wearing, look away, or tell them you are offended. Talk to each other. Free speech and the ability to tolerate offense are the hallmarks of a free and open society."

Let's not act like Yale is some haven of free speech.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Live by the PC sword, die by the PC sword

nice to see a libtard getting hoisted by their own petard once in a while
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Yelp can be fun if you know the owner/manager reads it (al lot do, some don't care).
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#26]
You ever been to new haven ?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#27]
For the people struggling with this , it's quite simple.

If you did the same thing as a hetero male, you'd be one step from the electric chair. Fry them with their own rules.

Even though sure, it's stupid and we don't really care... when your enemy hands you a move, you take it.

If it makes you feel better, simply take care of it in the phrasing:

"You are my enemy. You've spent a significant amount of your life trying to fundamentally change my society for the worst, so I support any punishment you received no matter how little I care about the original action. These are the rules you've applied on everyone by force, so you should have played by them."
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's a problem when her position at Yale is hinged upon the platform of embracing diversity and advocating for all races, religions and orientation.

It would be like a pro life spokesperson...that performs abortions during his/her off time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's a problem when her position at Yale is hinged upon the platform of embracing diversity and advocating for all races, religions and orientation.

It would be like a pro life spokesperson...that performs abortions during his/her off time.
View Quote
Which hilariously the left would find what this Yelp lady did WAY more serious than an abortion.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
But what if she is technically correct?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#31]
It's the hypocrisy, not the words she used.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes.  I wonder what white trash she is talking about?
There is very little white outside the universities
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The ones working at Electric Boat and the Navy base.

(She unfortunately wasn't confined to New Haven.)
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Fire her.  Being PC should hurt
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's a pretty shitty society we've built when you can get fired for what you say away from work.  Would you want your employer to see what you post here on ARFCOM?
View Quote
My employer is aware of every post I make on Arfcom and fully supports them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
For the people struggling with this , it's quite simple.

If you did the same thing as a hetero male, you'd be one step from the electric chair. Fry them with their own rules.

Even though sure, it's stupid and we don't really care... when your enemy hands you a move, you take it.

If it makes you feel better, simply take care of it in the phrasing:

"You are my enemy. You've spent a significant amount of your life trying to fundamentally change my society for the worst, so I support any punishment you received no matter how little I care about the original action. These are the rules you've applied on everyone by force, so you should have played by them."
View Quote
Excellent Post.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
I can for a few minutes.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

She piously preached "you must not just tolerate people who are different from you, you must celebrate them!" to her captive audience of impressionable young college students.

Then she turns out to be a racist bitch on social media for the whole world to see.

That makes her a bald-faced lying hypocrite.  I wonder how many times she has spanked students in her college for BadThink, all the while being a BadThink practitoner herself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

When she says "celebrate people that are different", it's understood - at least in the coastal blue areas - that this automatically excludes people that aren't lefties, unless they're politically useful (i.e., islamists).

Quoted:
Pretty much this. While I don't agree with her I do support her right to call me white trash, and frankly I really don't give a shit outside of that.
When you get enough people making organized efforts to deny you your rights, then it becomes stupid to extend to them a consideration that they refuse to extend to the rest of us.

Easiest way to deal with this case is holding them to their own standards.   We didn't start all this witch hunt bullshit, they did.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I bet she's a sociologist, too.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Live by the PC sword, die by the PC sword

nice to see a libtard getting hoisted by their own petard once in a while
View Quote
Bake that fucking cake!
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#43]
If this chick isn't a member of Arfcom ... she needs to be.

http://ydn.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Chu_reviews.pdf
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:15:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dude, you need to become a Yelp reviewer, now!
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
While Spartacus gorilla guy is, of course, right about her hypocrisy, she sounds like a funny bitchy cunt who got arocked.
View Quote
You and I didn't choose to play by these rules, we were forced to by people like this woman. They effectively hold most of us hostage by the set of unreasonable rules they laid out. So I have zero sympathy nailing her to the wall with her own rule book.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Ah, she screwed up.  She should have just called for the torture and genocide of all straight white men and boys.  They would have given her tenure.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Tarzan bows to no man!
View Quote
I work in HR for a fortune 100. All I do all day is bow to stupid rules
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:31:43 PM EDT
[#49]
two faced cunt..