Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2017 9:23:55 AM EDT
Does anyone have experience with drones? I just purchased a Parrot bebop 2. It seemed to be the best option for sub $500 dollar drones with at lleast 1080 camera. Usage would be hiking and shots of my acrobatic dog catching tennis balls. Most reviews I've seen say that the follow feature works well.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:39:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump. I guess all the drone guys are out flying drones.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:51:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I am strongly considering the DJI Spark. 1080 camera, $500. Hoping others will chime in as well.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am strongly considering the DJI Spark. 1080 camera, $500. Hoping others will chime in as well.
View Quote
I was looking at that one also, but the range isn't as far. Have you tried the spark? I almost bought the Mavic but couldn't justify $1000 on something I've never tried.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a phantom 3, but would get a mavic if I had to redo.  biggest down-side is transport and setup/teardown so fold-up is a good way to go.  The bebop isn't a bad drone but unless I missed something recent they lack a gimble so you cant pan up and down, which is something I tend to do quite a bit.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a phantom 3, but would get a mavic if I had to redo.  biggest down-side is transport and setup/teardown so fold-up is a good way to go.  The bebop isn't a bad drone but unless I missed something recent they lack a gimble so you cant pan up and down, which is something I tend to do quite a bit.
View Quote
I'm rocking a phantom 3 pro as well. Really just played with it to now. When I get back to the states I actually want to start figuring out the camera settings better.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:08:10 AM EDT
[#6]
my buddy just bought a dji mavic pro and it's incredible.  folds up to a camcorder size.  hell, it's a flying camcorder.

I have a dji 450 flamewheel.  it's a lot of fun but requires a lot of tinkering, unlike the mavic that flys right out of the box.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#7]
DJI does seem to be the go to. Maybe i should send the Parrot back. 
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Phantom 3 Pro here...get some cheap parabolic antenna reflectors off of Amazon or eGay. They WILL extend your P3-P4 Lightbridge and control range  to a little over 2 miles.

Of course, that's considering your line-of-sight is 2 miles...
Remember kids, always keep your drones within line of sight.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
DJI does seem to be the go to. Maybe i should send the Parrot back. 
View Quote
Do it. The Parrot line are basically overpriced toys. 
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
my buddy just bought a dji mavic pro and it's incredible.  folds up to a camcorder size.  hell, it's a flying camcorder.

I have a dji 450 flamewheel.  it's a lot of fun but requires a lot of tinkering, unlike the mavic that flys right out of the box.
View Quote
x2 on the Mavic Pro. It really does offer a ton of features for the price, and you can find deals on them all the time. The drone and its accessories can fit in a Pelican 1400 for travel. It's fun to fly and the camera is amazing.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#11]
As long as it supports the DJI VR goggles I plan on getting the Mavic Pro. Seems like it would be a great kit for a novice with a performance envelope that has room to grow.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Just got the spark yesterday, so far its as nice and easy as they advertised
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm getting a mavic when I have the $$. I wanted the original bebop, but the reviews were meh.

You might want to check out the Spark for your price range.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#15]
As of right now, the Mavic will be what I get.  It's spendy, but it seems like a drone is one of those items that you get exactly what you pay for.  I'm waiting until I can get what I want.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#16]
At work we have DJI Phantom's 1, 2 and 4. While I tried flying them, it wasn't my exact cup of tea. Crashed the two while about 8 feet in a hover onto cement. It was easily repaired. Our pilot with the FAA cred likes the DJI's now, but that's not how he started out. This guy loves drone's, builds his own and races them. He had a grudge against DJI because he thought they were "hobby drones" (hah does that sound familiar). Anyway, after flying them for about 6 months now, his tune has changed. He says the DJI's are good to go; they are pretty simple to fly, offer much right out of the box, and good support.

So why I would recommend anything DJI, I would also say never let me fly it! Also, maybe compare a DJI Phantom 2 or 3 to the Mavic. May be cheaper and all that you need. Those models are way cheaper now than we started buying them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As of right now, the Mavic will be what I get.  It's spendy, but it seems like a drone is one of those items that you get exactly what you pay for.  I'm waiting until I can get what I want.
View Quote
That's my thought process. I not sure if I'll like them or not. The mavic comes in around $1300 for bag and everything, the spark at  $700 and the bebop 2 at $500. The 4K cameras might be worth the step up from $500.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got an MQ-9.  Its pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Buy once, cry once, Get the Mavic pro and the new DJI Goggles.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Parrot is a toy.

I've got a Mavic Pro and love it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Mavic and it's great, got some cool videos with it shooting .50bmg rifles at family property over Memorial day weekend and flyover videos of a set of waterfalls. I've been eyeing the Spark as well for my son's birthday and will probably pick up the vr goggles once I test a pair somewhere and do some more research.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Picked up a Mavic 2 weeks ago and have definitely been impressed.  easy to fly, gimbal is easy to figure out and operate 
Costco has for $889.00 with remote, bag , prop guards, extra props. Just checked looks like it's $989 now
Costco is great for items like this as you will never have a problem with a return 
I also picked up 2 batteries off Amazon for $168.00 and after watching a bunch of reviews I picked up a Drone fans  model DO:YXC06 charger for $40 which will charge 3 batteries and remote simultaneously  instead of sequencially 
After a bunch of research it is cheaper to pick up items individually than get the fly more kit
I would also recommend DJIS warranty for $99 as they will replace it up to 2 times for a small fee $79 for the first and $129 for 2nd time if you crash it 
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Does anyone have experience with drones? I just purchased a Parrot bebop 2. It seemed to be the best option for sub $500 dollar drones with at lleast 1080 camera. Usage would be hiking and shots of my acrobatic dog catching tennis balls. Most reviews I've seen say that the follow feature works well.
View Quote

You overpaid.  The Parrot is not bad but it is several year old outdated technology.

For the same price, you could have gotten a DJI Spark, it has a better camera, 2 axis gimbal, can be flown from your phone, and has TONS of advanced features and autopilot, including object avoidance, gesture recognition, facial recognition, and terrain mapping.

You could also get it's big brother and get a much enhanced, multi-mile range, beter battery, and better gimbal, among other things, all in 4K.

If you really like all the fancy features here is the P4 Pro but it's about 3 times what you paid, but way superior and has the best camera of any of the ones I mentioned.

I fly the P4 standard, they don't make it anymore, but it's basically identical to the P4 pro with a slightly worse camera (12 MP vs. 20 MP), only forward obstacle sensing, and a couple less smart flyng features, but it's still great.  The P4P is even better.  It basically flies itself, just line up the shot you want and take it, it's basically a flying tripod, it can intelligently follow you around too, tons of fun and you'll see things like you never have before.  Bonus points if you get FPV goggles.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#24]
If you get a Mavic make sure you get the DBS antenna for it.

Mavic Nanosync

DJI Mavic Pro ITE-DBS NanoSync Range Extender Antenna Kit from itelite DBS MODs
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That's my thought process. I not sure if I'll like them or not. The mavic comes in around $1300 for bag and everything, the spark at  $700 and the bebop 2 at $500. The 4K cameras might be worth the step up from $500.
View Quote
Check my links above, I don't know where your looking, but that is several hundred dollars over MSRP.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you get a Mavic make sure you get the DBS antenna for it.

Mavic Nanosync

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LGCfybFn9E
View Quote
Is there something like this for the phantom 3 pro?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ya I had the DBS MAXX Range antenna on my P3P. It was insane, it was like night and day after I installed it.
Full kit
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Here's my first boosted DBS standard antenna.

With FPVLR antenna.

I currently have been running the Terminator Antenna. Super long range king (19 miles).
Terminator antenna
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd be interested in something with half-mile range with a pan and zoom (as much as 6-8x) camera with 30m flight time.
I usually have an iPad and always an iPhone with me, if that makes any difference.

I would use it from my blind and fly up to 200-300 feet (or higher to reduce ground noise) and just hover it and use the camera to look for hogs, then move to another part of the property and know where they are and if they were coming my way... maybe get lower and scare them in my direction occasionally.

Any off-the-shelf options out there?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'd be interested in something with half-mile range with a pan and zoom (as much as 6-8x) camera with 30m flight time.
I usually have an iPad and always an iPhone with me, if that makes any difference.

I would use it from my blind and fly up to 200-300 feet (or higher to reduce ground noise) and just hover it and use the camera to look for hogs, then move to another part of the property and know where they are and if they were coming my way... maybe get lower and scare them in my direction occasionally.

View Quote
Only off the self options right now with zoom capability are DJI and Walkera. The DJI though is going to be very expensive. Walkera Voyager 4 has a 18x optical zoom. Priced around $3k.

Walkera Voyager 4 Promo Video
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Zero complaints about my Mavic. Currently still own both an Inspire 1 & 2.

If replacement cost is an issue, I'd look into State Farm. They're quite popular for offering a personal articles policy for like $50 with no deductible for the year.

Be warned, a lot of people don't get much out of the DJI Refresh program. Sure they replace your drone, but they've got some horrible customer service.

People complain of waiting 6+ weeks to be delivered a refurbished drone, not your original one repaired.

The protections offered by your credit card are likely less hassle.

Check out the Mavic Pilots forum.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Phantom 3 standard.  Works great, easy to fly.  Good price.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Check my links above, I don't know where your looking, but that is several hundred dollars over MSRP.
View Quote
I'm getting prices with the extra kits. You guys are gonna talk me into the Mavic.  I appreciate all the replies fellas.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Phantom 3 standard.  Works great, easy to fly.  Good price.
View Quote
Got a new Phantom 3 Standard last black Friday for $349 shipped, very impressed.

I want a Mavic or even a P4 pro now lol.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sure, but if you really want a zoom camera with a true pan and tilt it's going to cost you:

Inspire 1  You will need to use the option for the Z3 camera.  She's dated, but she'll get the job done.

Inpsire 2 Price does not include camera.  I believe the cheaper of the two, the X4S will work, but I may be wrong, either way your looking at decent used car, or entry level machinegun money.

I would go for the P4 Pro myself, everything you want except for the zoom (it doesn't pan either, it just rotates the whole drone, but from the ground you won't notice the difference).  Or go with the Mavic if your on a budget.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:48:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a mavic also for several months, it's stupid easy to fly and has so many features too.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:04:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Phantom 3 advanced owner. Got it used for $600 on CL. Part of the deal was that the kid i bought it from had to give me an hour of instruction. That and youtube was all i needed. I agree with Bio, it's a pain, albeit simple, to get it set up. SUPER easy to fly and the advanced has longer range.  Guy showed up next to me carrying a small purse last week.  Upon closer inspection, it wasn't a purse, it was his Mavic holder. Dude was up and flying in under a minute.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#38]
So i bought a Mavic. You fuckers. I ended up spending 1200 for extra propellers, HD case, and 2 extra batteries.  Thanks again for all the replies. I think i made the best choice.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Two weeks is how long the Phantom 4 I bought entertained me.  I ended up spending over $1200 after ordering two extra batteries, a hard case, some ND filters for the camera lens, and a tablet.  My step dad seemed really interested in it, so I left it with him to see how long it takes him to get bored with it.

When you divide the money spent by the days I was entertained, then drones is by far the biggest waste of money that I have ever made.  I spent a lot more on reloading equipment, but it kept me occupied for closer to 6 months before I totally lost interest.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Two weeks is how long the Phantom 4 I bought entertained me.  I ended up spending over $1200 after ordering two extra batteries, a hard case, some ND filters for the camera lens, and a tablet.  My step dad seemed really interested in it, so I left it with him to see how long it takes him to get bored with it.

When you divide the money spent by the days I was entertained, then drones is by far the biggest waste of money that I have ever made.  I spent a lot more on reloading equipment, but it kept me occupied for closer to 6 months before I totally lost interest.
View Quote
What did you use if for? I film and take pictures of scenery all the time. The tracking feature would be awesome for my dog and action shots.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's my first boosted DBS standard antenna.
http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad167/Beltfedshooters/DJI%20UAV%20Drone%20Pictures/IMGA0292.jpg

With FPVLR antenna.

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad167/Beltfedshooters/DJI%20UAV%20Drone%20Pictures/IMGA0283.jpg

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad167/Beltfedshooters/DJI%20UAV%20Drone%20Pictures/IMGA0279_1.jpg

I currently have been running the Terminator Antenna. Super long range king (19 miles).
Terminator antenna
Damn, dud! What are you using for batteries onboard your drone?

Yes, I'm drooling...
ETA: DJI makes an aluminum arm for your screen holder...it's worth the coin and makes it a LOT more stable than plastic.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Where did you purchase it, and will it work with the Mavic?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
I wished I had kept my Phantom 3 instead of selling it once I got the Mavic. I've had to send said Mavic in twice already (once freaking out gimbal and once for calibration issue) and I have less than 2 hours of flight time on that damn thing. In contrast, I had over 60 hours on the Phantom with ZERO issues (aside from a few interactions with trees lol). I want to give this thing a chance but will likely sell it and buy another 3 or 4 perhaps or maybe an off brand depending on what comes out this Fall.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
+1 As radio waves really don't bend.
View Quote
I like your style, my friend. Unfortunately the FAA doesn't see it that way.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So i bought a Mavic. You fuckers. I ended up spending 1200 for extra propellers, HD case, and 2 extra batteries.  Thanks again for all the replies. I think i made the best choice.
View Quote
Saw this thread yesterday morning and was at Best Buy last evening with my family getting me the Mavic as a Father's Day gift.

Just what I wanted!
Top Top