Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/16/2017 5:45:11 PM EDT
Crash into a civilian vessel ... it's how it is done.

Story here.

I mean, seriously, they have proximity radar and other electronic tools out the wazooo..and this happens???

The crash occurred 56 nautical miles southwest of Yokosuka at 2:30am local time, June 17, according to the US Pacific Fleet.

The Japanese public TV channel NHK reported that the USS Fitzgerald,an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, was rendered "unable to operate" and suffered flooding, Reuters reported.

The US Pacific Fleet said that "The extent of damage is being determined. The extent of personnel injuries is being determined. The incident will be investigated."

Career Blinking Light
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here, I'll hotlink it <Removed -40xb>.[/url]
View Quote
Well, aren't you all kinds of special? LOL
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#3]
How many billions do those things cost?

And it started flooding because it ran into a civilian boat?

That does not bode well
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Captain had better get the number for that truck driving school from Goose.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not the first at sea collision and won't be the last.  It happens, and yes careers end.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Life's better when you only see his posts if someone quotes him, he's one of the bigger fools around arf these days.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Ive seen a Sailors career end over him crashing his dinghy into a base commanders civilian wife
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Similar:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehime_Maru_and_USS_Greeneville_collision
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#9]
CNN has some brief video. Damage to the starboard side with a list. Multiple pumps discharging overboard.

ETA: video at the link us-navy-destroyer-collides-with-merchant-ship-japan
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Truckmaster?  I think it was truckmaster. .
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I will add, normally it's not a case of not "seeing" the other vessel, every collision I've read about the USN boat was tracking the other ship and knew of its existence, but one ship or both makes a maneuver or two that makes collision unavoidable.  I'll also say it's almost always the civilian vessel that screws up, as the officer of the deck on a USN ship is most assuredly competent and capable in navigation and rules of navigation.  

I spent my USN career in CIC and was on the sea and anchor detail as qualification.  I even steered the boat a couple times (in open ocean)

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Navy boat people doing navy boat people things.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's not the first at sea collision and won't be the last.  It happens, and yes careers end.
View Quote
It is not the just the Captain's career that will be over. It will include the OOD and the Navigator, probably the petty officer driving the boat and a number of others.

Good God...you just do NOT hit a ship like this in a high-tech marvel like a US Navy Destroyer.

Freaking idiots get every bad thing coming their way.

I just hope they did not kill and/or injure any of the crew of their ship or the Jap ship.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Life's better when you only see his posts if someone quotes him, he's one of the bigger fools around arf these days.
View Quote
<Removed -40xb>
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
CNN has some brief video. Damage to the starboard side with a list. Multiple pumps discharging overboard.
View Quote
I saw that, they also said the ship just had like $125M in repairs and upgrades recently.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Damage on the starboard side?  Oh, that's extra not good.  Buh bye for the OOD, JOOD, TAO, SWO, XO and CO.

I've never understood how a twin screw gas turbine destroyer with bridge control of the engines can get themselves into a situation like that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aww, I'm on ignore? Now I do feel all kinds of special.

Posting a topic and not hotlinking is lazy bullshit, and when people are on a phone it sucks trying to copy and paste the link to go read the actual story.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I will add, normally it's not a case of not "seeing" the other vessel, every collision I've read about the USN boat was tracking the other ship and knew of its existence, but one ship or both makes a maneuver or two that makes collision unavoidable.  I'll also say it's almost always the civilian vessel that screws up, as the officer of the deck on a USN ship is most assuredly competent and capable in navigation and rules of navigation.  

I spent my USN career in CIC and was on the sea and anchor detail as qualification.  I even steered the boat a couple times (in open ocean)

View Quote
Sink a few and they'll get the message to "get out the way."
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#19]
does hiding in the engine room while everyone thinks you went into the drink hurt your career as well ?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I wonder how a young Nimitz would have fared in today's Navy with his grounding incident.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Nobody can be fired if they're hiding in an engineering space.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
What's funny is that if you talk to some MM officers, they say the same thing, just reversed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

we civilian mariners have a saying "if it's painted grey, stay away"
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Damage on the starboard side?  Oh, that's extra not good.  Buh bye for the OOD, JOOD, TAO, SWO, XO and CO.

I've never understood how a twin screw gas turbine destroyer with bridge control of the engines can get themselves into a situation like that.
View Quote
Green light means go. I just had the Colregs discussion with my wife regarding that very issue.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm thinking just from the damage shown in the CNN clip that someone was ignoring a red light. The container ship had the green light.

How quickly can a Burke crash stop? In its own length?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
@piccolo

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kek.

I will say as someone that's trained several former active SWOs moving over the the merchie side, shiphandling was always their biggest weakness. Paperwork and navigation stuff was usually fine and they tend to be pretty conscientious about things in general, it usually just took a while before I felt comfortable turning them loose in port(especially Fourchon).
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Kek.

I will say as someone that's trained several former active SWOs moving over the the merchie side, shiphandling was always their biggest weakness. Paperwork and navigation stuff was usually fine and they tend to be pretty conscientious about things in general, it usually just took a while before I felt comfortable turning them loose in port(especially Fourchon).
View Quote
A former SWO. Let loose in Fourchon??

Put yokahamas out

EVERYWHERE.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Kek.

View Quote
I'm surprised there is a demand for SWOs in the MM fleet, considering the number of Merchant Marine academies.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm surprised there is a demand for SWOs in the MM fleet, considering the number of Merchant Marine academies.
View Quote
Right? IMO KP (a taxpayer funded school) should be shut down. The state schools are more than capable of supplying green 3rds who think they know everything to the MM.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How many billions do those things cost?

And it started flooding because it ran into a civilian boat?

That does not bode well
View Quote
Some of them are ancient.   We have some missile systems operating on computer systems from the 70's, hell some of them probably still run tape strips.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Rubber dog shit is the first thing that came to mind.

ETA:  Holy crap.  FOX just showed pictures. Medivacing some of the injured and towing to port.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Right? IMO KP (a taxpayer funded school) should be shut down. The state schools are more than capable of supplying green 3rds who think they know everything to the MM.
View Quote
I'd say the opposite, though I'm pretty biased. The State MMAs are the anachronism. At least the KPers are learning a trade. I've heard some interesting (though completely self-serving) anecdotes about KPers in the Fleet recently.

MARAD is an interesting beast. As a person who thinks about mobilization issues, its a budget-dust investment in maintaining the ability to man non-Jones Act shipping, if the situation calls for it.

I'd love a robust American merchant fleet a la the 1950s. I just don't know how to do it, now.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm thinking just from the damage shown in the CNN clip that someone was ignoring a red light. The container ship had the green light.

How quickly can a Burke crash stop? In its own length?
View Quote
Pretty much.  A FFG could crash stop from flank ahead in just a hair over a ship length.  Twin screw you get even better stopping power.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Navigating on the surface at night ain't no joke even with all the tools available.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Most expensive artificial reef build in a long  while
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'd say the opposite, though I'm pretty biased. The State MMAs are the anachronism. At least the KPers are learning a trade. I've heard some interesting (though completely self-serving) anecdotes about KPers in the Fleet recently.

MARAD is an interesting beast. As a person who thinks about mobilization issues, its a budget-dust investment in maintaining the ability to man non-Jones Act shipping, if the situation calls for it.

I'd love a robust American merchant fleet a la the 1950s. I just don't know how to do it, now.
View Quote
You must be a KP kid.

We simply couldn't do a mass mobilization. Marad would go into vapor lock.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I wonder how a young Nimitz would have fared in today's Navy with his grounding incident.
View Quote
CIVLANT on the spot.... well, after finishing his commitment as MWR Officer in Keflavik anyhow.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You must be a KP kid.

View Quote
Nope. Just know a bunch of them.

Oh, we'd have issues across the board in a mass mob scenario. If you think MARAD sucks in such a scenario, swing by the rest of the DOD sometime. I honestly don't think there are 10 people within the USAF who would what to do with CRAF, and that's on the shelf, with a massive highly competent fire-and-forget civilian infrastructure, and has been exercised.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Similar:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehime_Maru_and_USS_Greeneville_collision
View Quote
Scott Waddle spoke at a safety conference I attended last year. He deserved everything he got, and he agrees with that, but like everything in life it was a complicated situation.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
CIVLANT on the spot.... well, after finishing his commitment as MWR Officer in Keflavik anyhow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That raises questions as to whether the current practice is really the best practice.  Nimitz got to learn from his mistake and become a capable officer.  I wonder if there were any officers with real potential who got everything cut short over a mistake.  I can understand, on the other hand, not cutting senior officers slack when they screw up badly; they ought to know better.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You must be a KP kid.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must be a KP kid.

In my experience, Kings Pointers got what they paid for in an education.

Maine Maritime Academy '02D
1600 Ton Master, Unlimited Third Mate and Master of Towing Vessels upon Oceans
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

In my experience, Kings Pointers got what they paid for in an education.

Maine Maritime Academy '02D
1600 Ton Master, Unlimited Third Mate and Master of Towing Vessels upon Oceans
View Quote
Well I have 2 out of your 3. But I'm just common hawspiper tugboat trash.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It is not the just the Captain's career that will be over. It will include the OOD and the Navigator, probably the petty officer driving the boat and a number of others.

Good God...you just do NOT hit a ship like this in a high-tech marvel like a US Navy Destroyer.

Freaking idiots get every bad thing coming their way.

I just hope they did not kill and/or injure any of the crew of their ship or the Jap ship.
View Quote
Nope.  The helmsman has no responsibility except to do what the conning officer says to do.  Even if he fucked up and turned the wheel left instead of right, the Conning Officer is responsible.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Still worried about being pressed?  We don't do that any more. 
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That raises questions as to whether the current practice is really the best practice.  Nimitz got to learn from his mistake and become a capable officer.  I wonder if there were any officers with real potential who got everything cut short over a mistake.  I can understand, on the other hand, not cutting senior officers slack when they screw up badly; they ought to know better.
View Quote
It isn't the best practice, for sure.  But zero-defect is the mentality that has been decreed.  I suspect it came from Uncle Hymie and his nuclear nerds.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Still worried about being pressed?  We don't do that any more. 
View Quote
Well to be perfectly honest I'm not sure the USN ever pressed men out of ships. That was the limeys and part of the cause of the War of 1812.

But you guys wouldn't want me anyway.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It isn't the best practice, for sure.  But zero-defect is the mentality that has been decreed.  I suspect it came from Uncle Hymie and his nuclear nerds.
View Quote
That and more officers competing for fewer command slots makes them more expendable.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top