BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you ask your butcher to cut the pork butt a certain way?
View Quote
I'm going for one in the morning.  School me on what to ask for.

Pg.3
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:06:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Just have him slice the butt in 3/4 to 1 inch steaks so there is a piece of the bone in each steak. There is a link on the first page.

Edit here's the link

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm going for one in the morning.  School me on what to ask for.

Pg.3
View Quote
Have him slice ot so you get a piece of bone in each steak. 1" to 1.5" thick. Make sure to sear them at some point in the cook so you get crispy fatty edges and carmelized sugar (from your rub or sauce or both).
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#4]
In.  Need mo pork
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:35:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I was at the supermarket earlier and noticed them after seeing this thread the other day, plan on putting some rub on them and smoking them for a few hours tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Been about 2.5 hours

Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine were about 1/2 inch thick.  2 hours on the smoker at 275ish and they were done.

Wow, I can't believe these aren't more we'll known!
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I know a thing or two about cooking hickory smoked pork steaks. 
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:05:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Never had them before but lo and behold they had them at the grocery store!

Seasoned them with a Texas rub, garlic powder, soy sauce, and liquid smoke (I am at an apartment complex and no fires allowed )

Seared them in a skillet with browned butter

now in the oven at 300 till tender.

hopefully it turns out....
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File

Well...I tried it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:38:08 PM EDT
[#11]

I had them again tonight.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:53:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
First time having them? Or did I just make you want some? Lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks to this thread, I enjoyed pork steaks tonight.  My 4 y/o twins destroyed them with extreme prejudice.  

They do not dissapoint. Will smash them again in a few days. God bless this thread, ARFCOm, and the USA.

FBHO, and regular pork chops. Actually FBHO with regular pork chops.
First time having them? Or did I just make you want some? Lol.
First time having steaks. I had eaten so much pulled pork in my life I was bored with it.

Pork steaks have made me question why pulled pork exists.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:10:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
First time having steaks. I had eaten so much pulled pork in my life I was bored with it.

Pork steaks have made me question why pulled pork exists.
View Quote
Its like cooking ribs without all the hassle, we loved them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:46:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Ate leftover pork steak tonight. Even better
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:17:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Many a noble pork steak will fulfill its destiny during the upcoming Independence Day holiday.  

Quoted:

The only damn thing I couldn't stand in STL... was that damn... provell... or whatever the hell its called they put on pizza.
View Quote
Provel is IMO's pizza's claim to fame, but I don't particularly care for it on pizza either.  Coarsely grated on a salad, on the other hand... nomnomnom
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:31:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Heh I saw them in the grocery store today. They're called "pork shoulder steaks" here I guess, never really noticed them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:01:29 AM EDT
[#17]
OST.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:24:34 AM EDT
[#18]
parents used to live in stl so i know all about pork steak

hard to find in the local grocery stores though
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
parents used to live in stl so i know all about pork steak

hard to find in the local grocery stores though
View Quote
Try Walmart.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Never heard of that before in my 45 years on earth but I'm about to look around online and order some up!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I've bought them before and grilled them but was never impressed so I stopped buying them. I figured smoking them would just be a lesser version of smoking the whole shoulder roast. Do you guys do like the link says and go to 180 degrees?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've bought them before and grilled them but was never impressed so I stopped buying them. I figured smoking them would just be a lesser version of smoking the whole shoulder roast. Do you guys do like the link says and go to 180 degrees?
View Quote
I did. Supposed to help break down the collagen and fats to make them more edible.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The candy of smoked meat... reminds me of a mix of bacon, ham, ribs, and pork chops.
First got turned on to it by my ex wife... she's from Stl(Ferguson actually). There's a BBQ shack there that made the best I ever had!!
The only place I've been able to find it has been at Wally World here in Pa.
I had a craving for it today so drove 25 minutes and got some... has been smoking on the Weber for a couple hours now...
If you've never had it... it's incredible!!
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/178995/IMG-2152-230712.JPG
View Quote
Hmm, I've never had it.
I am going through Pavlov drooling reaction right now.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:56:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Pretty damn good. I'll have to try smoking it next time, cooked it medium-high heat to 140F internal on the mini weber w/ cast iron grates. Just salt and pepper.

I don't usually bother with the bigger Weber when cooking for myself or just the gf and I. She's out of town, so just me. Threw some burgers on as well for lunch tomorrow.

Not a dinner pic, side of red skin potato salad and caramelized Walla Walla sweet onion. Eating outside in the catio (covered patio structure made w/ chicken wire so the cats can go outside without roaming free).

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The candy of smoked meat... reminds me of a mix of bacon, ham, ribs, and pork chops.
View Quote

Almost sounds good except for the ham part.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I did. Supposed to help break down the collagen and fats to make them more edible.
View Quote
It definitely does I just wasn't sure if some preferred going even higher like you would with the whole shoulder or if that would dry out the thinner cut. I picked up 3 so I might pull them at different temps tonight to experiment. After reading some BBQ forums I see some people cook them the 2-2-1 method like you would for baby back ribs and some just smoke them for 3 hours or so.

FYI Albertsons in Southern Nevada has pork shoulder steaks on sale for $1.99/lb right now. Not the best price for pork shoulder but not bad. Their prepackaged ones were super thin so I had them cut me three to 1" thick.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Cooking pork steaks is so easy, I'll be hard pressed to ever cook it as a Boston Butt again.  With the 4th coming up, I'm sure it will be on the menu.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I've got a couple of these that are 1" thick going on the smoker now.  I've grilled them in the past, but never smoked them. Would 275f for 3-4 hours do the trick?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Pretty damn good. I'll have to try smoking it next time, cooked it medium-high heat to 140F internal on the mini weber w/ cast iron grates. Just salt and pepper.

I don't usually bother with the bigger Weber when cooking for myself or just the gf and I. She's out of town, so just me. Threw some burgers on as well for lunch tomorrow.

Not a dinner pic, side of red skin potato salad and caramelized Walla Walla sweet onion. Eating outside in the catio (covered patio structure made w/ chicken wire so the cats can go outside without roaming free).

https://mrzeat.com/misc/pork.steak.6.23.17/1.jpg
https://mrzeat.com/misc/pork.steak.6.23.17/2.jpg
https://mrzeat.com/misc/pork.steak.6.23.17/3.jpg
https://mrzeat.com/misc/pork.steak.6.23.17/4.jpg
https://mrzeat.com/misc/pork.steak.6.23.17/5.jpg
View Quote
Caramelized onion takes about 40 minutes of cooking and has a rich, brown color. What you have there is sauteed onions my friend.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Had a couple of steaks cut last weekend marinating all week in teriyaki so those are on. Had a couple of mild Italian stuffed sausages, a tube of hot Italian, and some ground beef so everyone got wrapped with bacon, two strips for some.

On

Attachment Attached File

1 hr 15 min in steaks are flipped.  At 2 hours I will start basting with BBQ sauce.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Caramelized onion takes about 40 minutes of cooking and has a rich, brown color. What you have there is sauteed onions my friend.
View Quote
Meh they cooked at low heat for about 30 min. You're right not totally carmelized, I like them better with more texture and that's when everything else was done ;)
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Now we are getting somewhere. Forgive me if I fail with after pics, starting to get hammered.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Done. iPotato pics.      

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Meh they cooked at low heat for about 30 min. You're right not totally carmelized, I like them better with more texture and that's when everything else was done ;)
View Quote
Nothing wrong with that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Did some tonight....

Pellet grill at 275 for just over 2 hrs....my regular pork rub on it....flavor was excellent.  A bit dry though...not tough....I'll do again and check temps....
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've got a couple of these that are 1" thick going on the smoker now.  I've grilled them in the past, but never smoked them. Would 275f for 3-4 hours do the trick?
View Quote
That looks like too much time in my limited experience.  I did 225 degrees for one hour of smoke, then I ran it up to 400 degrees and seared them.  Internal temp was 180-200.  I took them off and wrapped in tin foil.  Then they rested till time to eat.

I almost forgot, I covered them in Sweet Baby Rays when I cranked up the temperature.  Next time I'm using Maulls since it's a Missouri recipe.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm pretty sure pork steaks are what my local butchers call boneless county style ribs, they just cut them 1"x2.5" or so.

I smoke them for 4 to 4.5 hours at 225 until 190, everyone seems to like and request them.

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Sounds really good, never had it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Get a quick reading digital meat thermometer. It's a must have.

Based on my limited experience with pork steaks, you are going to have dry leathery meat. I did mine at 235 for about 45 minutes til they reached 180 internal temp.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:21:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Yes it is!! . Since my OP... I've been craving them again. I'm off tues-weds... think I'll be making them again.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That will be perfect.

I sear mine over the hottest part of the fire, then pull them away to cook indirectly with plenty of smoke passing by.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That will be perfect.

I sear mine over the hottest part of the fire, then pull them away to cook indirectly with plenty of smoke passing by.
Yup. You were right. They were awesome. Smoked for a little over 3 hours with apple wood. Then grilled them over direct heat for a couple minutes each side. Incredible. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Mine turned out pretty good. Went heavy on the rub and started them at 225 for a couple of hours and then bumped it up to 300 until they were mostly 180 degrees. They were already nicely caramelized so I didn't see the point in searing them. Put them in a pan with BBQ sauce and left them in the smoker while I roasted some veggies and warmed some beans. Almost like pork burnt ends.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:35:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It was only recently that I found out that pork steaks are regional.  I figured everyone new about the goodness.
View Quote
I actually used to work in the meat department at a Schucks in the STL area. We cut pork steaks like crazy.  Now I live in Arkansas and i hardly ever see pork steaks anymore.

I didn't realize they were regional either until I left.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:48:22 PM EDT
[#48]
So, does anyone recommend marinading them? Was thinking about trying this and letting them soak in apple cider/ brine for a day or   two before smoking.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:55:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So, does anyone recommend marinading them? Was thinking about trying this and letting them soak in apple cider/ brine for a day or   two before smoking.
View Quote
I don't think there is a wrong way to cook them.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:15:28 AM EDT
[#50]
They've been in my area since the 80s. Originally called Blade steaks.

Now just pork steaks. They are the same cut as the bone in country ribs.

I haven't smoked them yet, but after seeing this thread I will be soon.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top