User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Never even heard of this
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Never heard of it, gonna start looking around.

Of course it's probably illegal here in NY...
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Here in NEPA, this is largely an unknown cut of pork.

I never heard of it until I started getting a custom cut whole hog a few years back.

Pork butt steaks rock, though I usually treat mine like I like my beef steaks with a day or so of dry seasoning time uncovered in the fridge, then grilled on the hottest fire I can get for a scant couple of minutes.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Haha! But again... it is a regional thing... its kinda like trying an actual cheesesteak for the first time if you aren't from around Philly.

I called the local grocery store to see if they had them before I drove almost a half hour to Walmart... the meat dept never heard of them at the two stores I called(and asked to speak with the manager). Both places asked "you mean pork chops?"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If its your first time with pork steaks, wait until you eat a hamburger. Its called a hamburger but its ground beef. They are pretty good. Traditionally, they put it on a bun with some lettuce, tomato, onion, mustard. They are awesome if you never had one before. Try it out.
Haha! But again... it is a regional thing... its kinda like trying an actual cheesesteak for the first time if you aren't from around Philly.

I called the local grocery store to see if they had them before I drove almost a half hour to Walmart... the meat dept never heard of them at the two stores I called(and asked to speak with the manager). Both places asked "you mean pork chops?"
I had them for dinner last night, and tonight
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:03:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Can't say I've heard of or seen them in WI until today. I'm going to have to try these this weekend in the smoker.

The article above says they went for 180 degree internal temp. Seems kind of high, but they said it was to break down the collagen and stuff in the meat. We'll see what happens, my smoker only goes up to 250 IIRC.

Also sounds like it doesn't need to smoke very long at all.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:15:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No shit, never heard of that. Sounds awesome!

Thanks, OP, I've been looking for something new to smoke. Gonna give this a shot.
View Quote
You can grill em directly too. Medium heat,  hot and fast, dry rub, steak rub, bbq sauce. You can't fuck em up. Slice up leftovers on toast for a sandwich.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How do you cut pork steaks from a shoulder or butt?
View Quote
Bandsaw. Let your meat cutter or grocery store do it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:30:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Someone else already covered the kraut...

Add some potato salad side and I'm in full blown childhood nostalgia heaven.

Kraut usually went more with something sausage like, but I'd never turn it down.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:34:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So you buy a pork butt that you'd normally smoke while and slice it and smoke it? How thick? Do you cut against the grain? I must try this.
View Quote
Make the grocer cut it into steaks with a nice piece of bone in each. Rub and smoke or just grill it and sauce if you like. You can't fuck it up.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:22:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Pork steaks were cheap, simple grill fare back in the younger days and went well with any beer.  Country Ribs are good too.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:46:34 PM EDT
[#11]

OP inspired me, this was tonight's dinner.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:04:21 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
You dick! I just cut my 6.5 pounder into steaks for cooking tomorrow. 

Need your verdict asap. 

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:19:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Need your verdict asap. 

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Need your verdict asap. 

Nice, how thick did you slice em? Post the pics back up in this thread.

I dry rubbed with my homemade pork rub and direct grilled over medium heat about 15 minutes per side. Sauced with Sweet Baby Ray's and moved to the cool side of grill for 10 minutes. Quick and easy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:09:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sliced butt.
View Quote
I always buy a family package of these and toss in the freezer. They're awesome for an easy meal. In fact, I just made one today. Just toss in the oven and then make your sides. Almost better than pork chops!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:09:59 AM EDT
[#15]
OP has inspired me to go full on Missouri tomorrow.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:41:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can't say I've heard of or seen them in WI until today.
View Quote
Whaaaat?! I've lived in WI almost all of my 43 yrs and have always eaten pork steaks. A very fine piece of meat when smoked or grilled over high heat to crisp up that fat. $1.99/lb isn't the cheapest I've seen them lately but not a bad price.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#17]
What temp/time for them?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What temp/time for them?
View Quote
When I smoked them the other day the grill was running a bit hot. It was around 260. I just made sure they were no where near the snake and took them off at about 3 hours. I sauced them about 15 minutes prior to removing them.

Like others have said... they're almost impossible to fuck up. They cook much faster than ribs... take a look at them every once in a while. Once you think they're done(you'll just know by the way they look when smoking them) add the sauce and let them go a bit longer.

ETA: even when I know they're done... I'll stack them on the grill and let them sit until I want to sauce them.
So all in all... about 5-6 bees.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Pork steaks are delicious. Always grill some up, usually low temp to let the fat rend nicely. Then whip up a batch of Filipino-style vinegar sauce, and chow like a king on the cheap.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

When I smoked them the other day the grill was running a bit hot. It was around 260. I just made sure they were no where near the snake and took them off at about 3 hours. I sauced them about 15 minutes prior to removing them.

Like others have said... they're almost impossible to fuck up. They cook much faster than ribs... take a look at them every once in a while. Once you think they're done(you'll just know by the way they look when smoking them) add the sauce and let them go a bit longer.

ETA: even when I know they're done... I'll stack them on the grill and let them sit until I want to sauce them.
So all in all... about 5-6 bees.
View Quote
I've seen 'Country Ribs' around here...(sliced butt, but in about 1.5" Squares by 6 " long)...done them and they're tasty, so sounds pretty similar...
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:56:03 AM EDT
[#21]
One of my favorite meals same with fried pork tenderloins the size of your head

lived in iowa for years and became hooked on all the great pork
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Although I've not quite perfected the art of it yet, its very common for folks here to turn pork steaks into tasso. Essentially, tasso is a cured, smoked pork steak that is heavily seasoned and spicy.  If you've never had it......its a gift from the gods.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:18:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OP has inspired me to go full on Missouri tomorrow.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66/image-231738.JPG
View Quote
Aww hell yes. Pork steaks should be made once a week easily, too damn easy to make and too damn good.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:20:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What temp/time for them?
View Quote
Try them hot and fast, medium heat direct, reverse sear, smoked. All ways work well but I have to crisp up the fat over the hot side of the fire. Crispy seared fat edge is the best.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Whaaaat?! I've lived in WI almost all of my 43 yrs and have always eaten pork steaks. A very fine piece of meat when smoked or grilled over high heat to crisp up that fat. $1.99/lb isn't the cheapest I've seen them lately but not a bad price.
View Quote
Maybe I've just not noticed them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What temp/time for them?
View Quote
I'll either fry them like a chop or season and then 350° on a cookie sheet, 20 minutes one side, 25 minutes the other. They come out sooooo tender!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Nothing beats pork steaks.  It can be hard to find them in a lot of places this far north in Illinois but they can be had if you know where to look.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:31:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Nice, how thick did you slice em? Post the pics back up in this thread.

I dry rubbed with my homemade pork rub and direct grilled over medium heat about 15 minutes per side. Sauced with Sweet Baby Ray's and moved to the cool side of grill for 10 minutes. Quick and easy.
View Quote
Aimed for about 1.25", but cutting a fat roast like that is troublesome. Next time I should freeze the bastard and use a bandsaw. Just went on the smoker, we will see how they are in a few hours.

Light colored is salt/perpper/garlic powder, dark is teriyaki marinaded. Upper right is a piece of beef I had in the fridge.

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Pork steaks are one of those weird st louis foods like toasted raviolis,  st paul sandwiches  and mostaccoli.  

Quite tasty.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Pork steaks make great chicken fried steak too. 
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Flipped after an hour. At 1.5 hours a few small thin pieces were ready, that is good stuff mang.

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#32]
My take away on this is slice thinner and smoke shorter than I did and a marinade beats a dry rub.

Next time I will target 3/4 inch slices and a marinade with sugars, get them to that burnt ends texture and taste, sweet, crunchyish candy.

Most of my batch of wet is in the freezer uncooked. Beef is upper left, wet is upper right (that chunk is way too thick, got kind of dry), and dry rubbed is at the bottom. I have a good buzz at this point so I forgot to take a pic showing the nice smoke ring on the thinner pieces I pulled earlier for my neighbor and my lunch.

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My take away on this is slice thinner and smoke shorter than I did and a marinade beats a dry rub.

Next time I will target 3/4 inch slices and a marinade with sugars, get them to that burnt ends texture and taste, sweet, crunchyish candy.

Most of my batch of wet is in the freezer uncooked. Beef is upper left, wet is upper right (that chunk is way too thick, got kind of dry), and dry rubbed is at the bottom. I have a good buzz at this point so I forgot to take a pic showing the nice smoke ring on the thinner pieces I pulled earlier for my neighbor and my lunch.

http://i.imgur.com/ScaUcwy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DDTPTHW.jpg
View Quote
Looks good and STL style usually finishes or cooks in BBQ sauce in case you want to try that as well.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Pork steaks are one of those weird st louis foods like toasted raviolis,  st paul sandwiches  and mostaccoli.  

Quite tasty.
View Quote
Mostaccoli isn't a STL food. Toasted ravioli, however, is a STL food and it's absolutely delicious.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Looking good. Makes great leftover sandwiches too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Found some at walmart.

only about 1/2"-5/8" thick though, so should smoke quickly.

Just put them in.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:21:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Found some at walmart.

Just put them in.
View Quote
That's all mine were. Let me know how you like them!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quite tasty.
View Quote
Fuck... now I want some toasted raviloi...

The only damn thing I couldn't stand in STL... was that damn... provell... or whatever the hell its called they put on pizza.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks to this thread, I enjoyed pork steaks tonight.  My 4 y/o twins destroyed them with extreme prejudice.  

They do not dissapoint. Will smash them again in a few days. God bless this thread, ARFCOm, and the USA.

FBHO, and regular pork chops. Actually FBHO with regular pork chops.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:42:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Although I've not quite perfected the art of it yet, its very common for folks here to turn pork steaks into tasso. Essentially, tasso is a cured, smoked pork steak that is heavily seasoned and spicy.  If you've never had it......its a gift from the gods.
View Quote
I've got that on my to do list. It is amazing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Thanks to this thread, I enjoyed pork steaks tonight.  My 4 y/o twins destroyed them with extreme prejudice.  

They do not dissapoint. Will smash them again in a few days. God bless this thread, ARFCOm, and the USA.

FBHO, and regular pork chops. Actually FBHO with regular pork chops.
View Quote
First time having them? Or did I just make you want some? Lol.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Never thought about doing that before. I'm betting you get a much smokier end product with all the extra surface space.

I take pork butt to 203 degrees to get pulled pork. What temperature for pork steak?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Pork steaks for the first time in my life tonight.

Bought them at Walmart this morning. Lit the charcoal grill and left the coals piled on one side, started the steaks on the other. After an hour it was above 250 and I finished them over hot coals. Left them in a warm oven while I grilled pineapple and sweet corn.

Everybody loved them.

Didn't think to take pictures.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Pork steaks for the first time in my life tonight.

Bought them at Walmart this morning. Lit the charcoal grill and left the coals piled on one side, started the steaks on the other. After an hour it was above 250 and I finished them over hot coals. Left them in a warm oven while I grilled pineapple and sweet corn.

Everybody loved them.

Didn't think to take pictures.

Thanks.
View Quote
Glad you liked them!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I take pork butt to 203 degrees to get pulled pork. What temperature for pork steak?
View Quote
Honestly, I have no idea the temp. I just cook them until they look like smokey goodness then add sauce and cook them a little longer.

Not scientific or specific... but works like a charm every time.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Do you ask your butcher to cut the pork butt a certain way?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Found some at walmart.

Just put them in.
I found some at our local small town Arkansas grocery store yesterday. They go on the smoker tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#48]
I used my electric smoker (yeah, yeah, haters gonna hate), apple wood, with a dry rub, took them to 160 internal temp, slopped on the BBQ sauce, let them go to 180.

Tender.

Took maybe 45 minutes, wasn't really paying attention to time, just temps.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Never thought about doing that before. I'm betting you get a much smokier end product with all the extra surface space.

View Quote
When the meat starts to pull away from the bone is a good starting baseline.
I say starting baseline because they're pretty much done then but there's another half hour to an hour that they continue to get more tender before they get over cooked and dry out.

That's if you're you're doing them mostly low and slow.

ETA That last half hour to an hour is when you cook the sauce into them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If its your first time with pork steaks, wait until you eat a hamburger. Its called a hamburger but its ground beef. They are pretty good. Traditionally, they put it on a bun with some lettuce, tomato, onion, mustard. They are awesome if you never had one before. Try it out.
View Quote
Wow, sounds awesome. Are hamburgers a regional thing to you as well? They sound fascinating
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top