BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have you ever ran a quality department for a small arms factory?  Have you ever submitted rifles for government testing.  Do you have experience in government aquisition?  Some of us have...
View Quote
What does that have to do with CRANE and PEOs data on the M4 failures?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you ever ran a quality department for a small arms factory?  Have you ever submitted rifles for government testing.  Do you have experience in government aquisition?  Some of us have...
First, good way to dodge the question.

Second, if you did have experience with Crane or any PEO's you would know how things work.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:32:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
100 rounds on a M4/416.

View Quote
That M4 bolt looks a lot more like the bolt from Pat Rogers Filthy 14 bolt after 42,000 rounds than any I've ever seen that fired 100 rounds.

I guess if the 100 rounds were all black powder it would look like that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:42:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes, I posted pictures a few posts up. They were taken by KevinB.
View Quote
LOL you know who he is right?  It's hilarious watching you attempt to tell combat vets who used the very weapon you jerk off over how it operates.  This would be a great thread if it wasn't for your constant hk Ball licking
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:58:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'll also add this.

Two Broken 416 bolts. Both fired 25,000 rounds from a 10.4" variant.

The Mk18 gets 3,000 rounds on a good day before it snaps bolt lugs. So the 10" 416 literally gets 8.33 times the bolt life of the Mk18.
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/attachments/hk416-hk417-hq/40971d1459002362-hk416-bolt-broke-25k-round-count-acceptable-lifespan-fb_20160326_22_16_45_saved_picture.jpg
View Quote
Dial it back Kiddo.

MK18 is very overgasseed.

M27 is going to struggle when suppressed.

DI is without question a more versatile OP system and FN has all the barrel longevity issues answered.

Full and open competitions will bring us to DI and good barrels.

Win Win.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:20:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

LOL you know who he is right?  It's hilarious watching you attempt to tell combat vets who used the very weapon you jerk off over how it operates.  This would be a great thread if it wasn't for your constant hk Ball licking
View Quote
Who are we talking about here in regards to me arguing with people who have used the 416? Yes I know who KevinB is and yes they were his photos.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:19:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

16" SR-15 with factory lube and 250 rounds fired. I haven't cleaned it yet.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:44:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Ya know... these threads bring out good info... right up until Joglee over powers them with his incessant rants about him being right..

give it a rest... you're annoying.. you know you are.. you like to be, and it gets old...

grow up.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:45:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That was Marine Corp testing with Mk318 SOST for the M27.

So if the M4 has a 3-6,000 round bolt and barrel life with M855 imagine what it is with M855A1.

I believe I have heard the M4A1 bolt and barrel life is hovering around 3,000 rounds currently with M855A1.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've shot 20,000+ of M855A1 through an M27 and at 15,000 rounds it was sub 2 moa accurate?

Show me.
That was Marine Corp testing with Mk318 SOST for the M27.

So if the M4 has a 3-6,000 round bolt and barrel life with M855 imagine what it is with M855A1.

I believe I have heard the M4A1 bolt and barrel life is hovering around 3,000 rounds currently with M855A1.
Is mk318 even 2 MOA capable?

I've shot M4s for a bit, and never experienced the issues you claim at that low of a round count.

It looks like you took the data points from 10.3" guns under a harsh firing schedule and applied them to the M4A1 to suit your own gross purposes.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:57:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crane isn't an acronym.

Wikipedia- Crane, Indiana
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It looks like you took the data points from 10.3" guns under a harsh firing schedule and applied them to the M4A1 to suit your own gross purposes.
View Quote
That's basically the entire impetus behind all of this op-rod nonsense.  SOCOM guys were putting 87 zillion rounds through M4s and Mk18-esque shorty guns every few days, doing break-contact drills and various other mag-dumping fun.  The guns were never designed to do that shit, so it was wearing them out and breaking them.

It's not terribly different than trying to race a platoon of Abrams tanks for 24 hours at Le Mans, and then shitting on the whole Abrams program when they don't perform well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:03:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I see a lot of people talking about problems that I don't encounter when I actually use my sbr.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
About time. Like I've been saying, replacing 249's with M27's only makes sense to me if the M27 is issued with >30 rd mags.

And to the Surefire mag pusher, the only benefit I see there is the Surefire 60s would fit in (altered) mag pouches unlike the D60. But one massive problem there. The Surefire 60's aren't dependable for shit. D60 for the win.
View Quote
The M27 magwell is not even surefire magazine friendly.  Extremely tight magwell prevents it from seating properly and is a bitch trying to get it back out.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I see a lot of people talking about problems that I don't encounter when I actually use my sbr.
View Quote
Ever shot 25,000 rounds in a week with it?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
He also needs to read a cleaning science book.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is mk318 even 2 MOA capable?

I've shot M4s for a bit, and never experienced the issues you claim at that low of a round count.

He also needs to read a cleaning science book.
Once the safety science is settled for good, phase II is cleaning science.

Wait until they find out what I think about people who don't clean their weapons. GD's collective brain is going to shit its pants.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can I get a amen.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The M27 magwell is not even surefire magazine friendly.  Extremely tight magwell prevents it from seating properly and is a bitch trying to get it back out.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
About time. Like I've been saying, replacing 249's with M27's only makes sense to me if the M27 is issued with >30 rd mags.

And to the Surefire mag pusher, the only benefit I see there is the Surefire 60s would fit in (altered) mag pouches unlike the D60. But one massive problem there. The Surefire 60's aren't dependable for shit. D60 for the win.
If they supply the newest M27 with the newest HK416A5 lowers, that issue should be fixed.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Can I get a amen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can I get a amen.
We're getting over 15k rounds through a barrel before they need gauged and close to 20 by the time they're shot out. Nobody can remember the last time they saw a broken bolt.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

We're getting over 15k rounds through a barrel before they need gauged and close to 20 by the time they're shot out. Nobody can remember the last time they saw a broken bolt.
View Quote
Fake news.

Obviously not possible.  Germans said so.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:06:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
In all my years this pretty much mirrors my limited experience.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:12:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

experience
View Quote
Interesting concept.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:15:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Never seen or even heard of a bolt breaking, while I was in.

I didn't know it could happen until I seen anecdotes on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:23:27 AM EDT
[#26]
I witnessed one bolt break on a bog standard M4, out of hundreds.

Happens but not too often. If they're breaking all the time I'd say it's a sign of shitty QC.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:14:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Super weird.

You guys need less experience shooting guns and more experience reading Joglee's gun facts.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:26:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Stepped back into this thread...

I've read just the last two pages and my fucking head hurts.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Out of what guns? What ammo?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If they supply the newest M27 with the newest HK416A5 lowers, that issue should be fixed.
View Quote
I don't think they can do that without a new competition reselecting the M27.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The very guns you say can't do that. Every type of ammo.

You're wrong.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ill play. M4 both shorty and normal with M855 and Mk262. I always laugh when people think we switch barrels every 3-5K rounds.  Gauging is there for a reason-to run that barrel to the end.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Ill play. M4 both shorty and normal with M855 and Mk262. I always laugh when people think we switch barrels every 3-5K rounds.  Gauging is there for a reason-to run that barrel to the end.
View Quote
Barrel wear is going to be very dependent on firing schedule.  The hotter it gets the faster it erodes.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Barrel wear is going to be very dependent on firing schedule.  The hotter it gets the faster it erodes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you had to pick a couple examples, who do you think puts the most wear and tear on their rifles?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If you had to pick a couple examples, who do you think puts the most wear and tear on their rifles?
View Quote
Those guys in the 507th
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
CAG and DEVGRU.  Any military unit going through high round count training packages. Most of the USMC/Army doesn't get to shoot that much.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Pretty much zero carbon enters the receiver on the 416 unless suppressed.

If something gets in the rifle it's a quick 1 second wipe down and done. Barrel cleaning is the same between weapons.

However internally unless you get something in it the M27 bolt and carrier can just be ignored. They stay spotless for thousands and thousands of rounds.

Here's a comparison.

100 rounds on a M4/416.
http://popgun.ru/files/g/2/thumbs/1457576.jpg
http://popgun.ru/files/g/2/thumbs/1457578.jpg
View Quote
Do you seriously believe this BS?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
For sure.  That's what makes this even more funny.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I've gotten a laugh out of it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Those guys in the 507th
View Quote
Jokes aside, you can drop the bullshit about barrel and bolt life on the M4/M16 family. I don't really care what official publication you got it from. It's wrong.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Serious question - doing what?  What does a shooting package look like that puts out 5k a day, other than mag dumps or full auto familiarity? I know the shooting packages and work ups are serious, but....
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Once the safety science is settled for good, phase II is cleaning science.

Wait until they find out what I think about people who don't clean their weapons. GD's collective brain is going to shit its pants.
View Quote
Definition of cleaning?  Mil type cleaning is a waste (former 2111) most of the time.  I wipe down, inspect and re lube and grease and push a few clp patches down the bore at 500 ish and detail the barrel, bore and chamber at 1 k on shooters.  Precision guns get more love, but I don't have cold bore issues, I have found more shift in mine with clean bore....

And a 2111 secret- not all of your weapons were dirty.  The underside of the ledge on the weapons gate is blacked with carbon from lighters, so we can wipe a clean swab dirty and waste more of your time...

And even though I was a one pump chump, I was a 3rd esch small arms repair tech with one deployment - I have only ever seen one bolt break in my time and it was after I was out and was on a les bare ar....
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Serious question - doing what?  What does a shooting package look like that puts out 5k a day, other than mag dumps or full auto familiarity? I know the shooting packages and work ups are serious, but....
View Quote
Break-contact drill mag-dump bukakke... over and over and over again.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's sad in a way.  In my mind I saw the use of 5 k a day to move the technical skill set so far ahead...
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That's sad in a way.  In my mind I saw the use of 5 k a day to move the technical skill set so far ahead...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh don't get me wrong, HSLD units do a ton of "good" shooting in training as well, but there's not really a way to shoot 5k in a day and have all of them have real "shooting skill building" value.  

And the break-contact drills and movement with huge live-fire round counts have massive training value, it's just training different skills.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:11:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Thinking about it now, that 25,000rd shooting package may have been over three weeks. I never took the course, it was just talked about by some of the CSO's I deployed with.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#47]
That would make more sense, esp if split between primary and secondary.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:03:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That would make more sense, esp if split between primary and secondary.
View Quote
Yeah, that'd be low end of normal if it's rifle and pistol.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:09:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Thinking about it now, that 25,000rd shooting package may have been over three weeks. I never took the course, it was just talked about by some of the CSO's I deployed with.
View Quote
When you initially said 25k in a week, I was seriously wondering there the fuck that came from. Not saying someone, somewhere isn't doing that, but that's either a hell of a POI or a hell of a waste of ammo.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:15:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Probably rifle and pistol combined.

They were reporting broken bolts and worn out barrels?
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top