User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Derp.

You know full fucking well what i mean and are playing dense for whatever pedantic reason.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still? Your original comment was, "An m4 isnt going to replace a 249."
Derp.

You know full fucking well what i mean and are playing dense for whatever pedantic reason.
"Derp" right back at ya, pardner. You said M4, and since there is no conceivable way that M4 could be a mistyping of M27, M4 is what I thought you meant.

I'm not psychic. If you suffered an episode of brain fade, and typed M4 when you were thinking M27, you can't expect me to know it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just like the M14
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
USMC literally picked the entrant that offered the least capability upgrade over the M4.
Yet, it has proven to be far superior to the M4 in every way.
It is planned to replace the M16/M4, M249 SAW, and fill the roll of the Mk12SPR.
Just like the M14
Not exactly. The M14 was never intended to replace a belt-fed machine gun.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If they want to get any useable information from this experiment they need to fill this team with men who have both actual combat experience and solid GT scores.

Inexperienced boots or drooling dumbasses won't get you anything worthwhile.
View Quote
Shit that will basically rule out 75% of the staff NCO'S!!!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Wonder if the USMC is looking at the LSAT / 6.5CT stuff the Army has been messing with...
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Then you roll up with your 240s and other larger weapons that are better and suppressing by volume than a SAW to begin with.
Or use some mortars or M230/M320s.

You know weapons designed to assist the fireteam/squad/platoon/company in winning a firefight.
View Quote
Keep an eye out for the Charlie G in the Marine Rifle Squad one day soon.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Making dreams come true one post at a time.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wonder if the USMC is looking at the LSAT / 6.5CT stuff the Army has been messing with...
View Quote
Thankfully, no trade secrets as this has been in the media lately. Yes, we are looking at that.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you roll up with your 240s and other larger weapons that are better and suppressing by volume than a SAW to begin with.
Or use some mortars or M230/M320s.

You know weapons designed to assist the fireteam/squad/platoon/company in winning a firefight.
Pure Sex
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thankfully, no trade secrets as this has been in the media lately. Yes, we are looking at that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ya, I was hoping I wasn't asking something out of school. Good to see that everyone is looking at it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#10]
While you're here, are there any plans to shake up the Marine Corps Marksmanship program?
I've always felt that while the KD range is good to learn fundamentals with it hurts us in the long run because it in no way relates to the way we actually fight.
Or will more intense marksmanship training only be part of predeployment training?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Now this is a thread. Mr. Wade is here.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't doubt that.

But what is ignorant about your statement is that now you think Congress is going to be amused when the Marines go back to them and say they want all new rifles again for the third time in two decades.
View Quote
Lol Congress doesn't care.

Everyone is in the process of replacing the M16/M4 with better weapons.

The 416 will likely be the one chosen across the board.

Besides I have a feeling things will be done differently this time. No carbine competition or anything, they'll find a way to make it happen without the rigors of procurement system screwing them and making us retain the M4 again.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Besides I have a feeling things will be done differently this time. No carbine competition or anything, they'll find a way to make it happen without the rigors of procurement system screwing them and making us retain the M4 again.
View Quote
So the same procurement system that you claim is utterly unable to add a decent trigger, new extractor spring, and rail to M4 (thus giving our troops the best issue rifle in the world by a fair margin) is just going to magically say "fuck it" and buy a 416s without any sort of testing or bid process?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So the same procurement system that you claim is utterly unable to add a decent trigger, new extractor spring, and rail to M4 (thus giving our troops the best issue rifle in the world by a fair margin) is just going to magically say "fuck it" and buy a 416s without any sort of testing or bid process?
View Quote
The 416 is already tested.

It's fielded by JSOC, so we have CRANE data on how it works and the Army/Marines are currently doing massive testing on the M16A4/M4/M4A1/M27 firing M855A1.

That test should conclude this month, and will show just how poorly the M16A4/M4/M4A1 performs compared to the M27 and will most likely drive the decision to pure fleet the M27.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
And this is, in the same way the M14 was........a change in doctrine dictating a change in weapon.

the M27 isn't replacing the SAW.  The saw was no longer part of the current doctrine, therefore they ditched it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
And this is, in the same way the M14 was........a change in doctrine dictating a change in weapon.

the M27 isn't replacing the SAW.  The saw was no longer part of the current doctrine, therefore they ditched it.
View Quote
In a way the M27 is replacing the SAW, it's just that they have no room for the SAW.

So by ditching the SAW the M27 is replacing it....in a way.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The 416 is already tested.

It's fielded by JSOC, so we have CRANE data on how it works and the Army/Marines are currently doing massive testing on the M16A4/M4/M4A1/M27 firing M855A1.

That test should conclude this month, and will show just how poorly the M27/416 performs compared to the M16A4/M4/M4A1/M27 with 855A1 and will most likely drive the decision to pure fleet the M27.
View Quote
Fixed
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:36:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Fixed
View Quote
Come on man you have a fucking Gunner in here saying it's a better platform.
I think a Gunner would know what in the fuck he's talking about.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:42:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fixed
View Quote
And you know better than Gunner Wade?

Gunner Wade is 0306 just fyi.

Who are you again @m4hk33 ?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:53:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:58:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, yeah I don't even...

The procurement system will be circumvented because HK magic.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:06:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

In a way the M27 is replacing the SAW, it's just that they have no room for the SAW.

So by ditching the SAW the M27 is replacing it....in a way.
View Quote
Maybe.  But replacement suggests in a pretty big way that it will fill the role of a SAW, when in fact, use of tactics + different theory is what is replacing the saw and the gun they are using doesn't need to do what the SAW does.

That's not exactly "replacement."  That's acknowledging obsolescence in the current climate and adapting, rather than the m27 being an improvement in firearm, it's just better suited to the current theory.

Replacement invites discussion about the validity of the m27 doing what the SAW did, but better.  Which isn't cogent to this situation since the m27 doesn't need to out MG the SAW because the MG isn't part of the theory they are fighting with.  The discussion is really "is this new combat doctrine superior to the one it replaced" rather than "is the m27 a better SAW than the M249."

If doctrine was to use volume of fire (let's not argue if it's better or worse), then the SAW would compare more favorably against the M27.  The change in doctrine is what made the SAW less desirable.

Since sustained fire is no longer necessary, why carry the weight?  Why deal with the logistics of ammo belts.  Why deal with the more complex workings of a belt-fed MG?

Hence, why the M27 is more desirable.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:48:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Huh? What change in doctrine was there with the M14? It was primarily a replacement for the M1 rifle, and used in the same way.

Since USMC automatic riflemen used to have the M249 LMG, and now they have the M27 IAR, it sure looks like replacement to me.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:55:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
"Soldiers"????

Shouldn't that read, "Marines"?
View Quote
According to my Grandad, back during WWII days, you could call "Infantry Marines" soldiers too.

However, as an Infantryman I think the proper title,.... and the only "Army soldiers" or Marines I give a shit about.....is "Infantryman"

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:57:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

And you know better than Gunner Wade?

Gunner Wade is 0306 just fyi.

Who are you again @m4hk33 ?
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:08:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Destruction squad.

A Carl G gunner, suppressed M27s for all, a better 203 for team leaders, one 240 as a constant base of fire(or something in .338NM) and a hand held 60 mm mortar just for fun. And portable reliable radio for the squad leader that doesnt lose comm after 2 km. POS prc152.

That would be a squad of destruction right there. Bigly.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:17:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does it compare to the SMAW? I always thought it was neat that it had a spotting rifle thing. But I have no idea about the capability difference between them. I do know the Gustav has some airburst rounds which may be desired?

I am assuming "Charlie G" is a Carl Gustaf recoilless rifle. If not ignore me.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:27:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not when the shooter has only ONE D60, as will likely be the case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep. The M27 has a sustained rate of fire of 36 rounds per minute.

That means it can fire a D60 every 2 minutes indefinitely...
Not when the shooter has only ONE D60, as will likely be the case.
I am but a layman, but I can't imagine rucking d60's around when 2x30 pmags are sooooo much smaller.

Pile of d60s behind sandbags at a FOB would seem cool, though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:35:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Since when did HK reduce the $3000.00 pricetag down to just a hair over $1200?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cost is not an issue when the guns will be running just a hair over what the Marines paid for the M16/M4.
Since when did HK reduce the $3000.00 pricetag down to just a hair over $1200?
I thought the contract for the m4's was about $684 each? Or do you mean

$684
+optic*
+rail
+light*
+IR laze*
+buis
+forward grip*
+sling*

*these need to be bought/attached to a 416 also...  and cost more than 1200-684
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:56:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That will give Swede a wargasm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That will give Swede a wargasm.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's cute, but we got some random guy on a gun forum vs a verified CWO5.

Wade would seem to be the more knowledgeable poster.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They will spend needles hours at the armory until small unit leaders and company commanders are educated and learn there is no need to clean weapons for half the day just because they gave nothing better to do.
View Quote
I am going to approach the manner in which we "clean" our weapons, but I must approach that through the USMC Ordnance community.  Good thing is, they are "gun people" and they know just as well as anyone else that we do far more damage to our weapons by "cleaning" them than we ever do by firing them.  That's an institutional rudder steer that's going to take some time to put into the references.  And it is not going to go over well at, for example, the Recruit Depots.  I can live with that if we can get the Operating Forces to stop destroying their weapons with ridiculous cleaning standards which detract from readiness and greatly increase cost.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I am going to approach the manner in which we "clean" our weapons, but I must approach that through the USMC Ordnance community.  Good thing is, they are "gun people" and they know just as well as anyone else that we do far more damage to our weapons by "cleaning" them than we ever do by firing them.  That's an institutional rudder steer that's going to take some time to put into the references.  And it is not going to go over well at, for example, the Recruit Depots.  I can live with that if we can get the Operating Forces to stop destroying their weapons with ridiculous cleaning standards which detract from readiness and greatly increase cost.
View Quote
AR can be cleaned to spotless inspection condition without damage as I assume you well understand.

All in the tools and techniques being employed.

Preaching to the choir as we all understand there is no reason to clean an AR to spotless except in a training/teaching situation.

Making recruits clean their AR to white glove condition is valuable training for other purposes and does not necessarily require damaging the rifle.

ETA: Proper lube is going to smudge the white gloves.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you, I am glad someone is trying to make positive changes to the weapons we use and the way we care for them.
I saw too many M4/M16s with nearly all of the anodizing worn off the rifle not from use but from being scrubbed for hours on end.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Destruction squad.

A Carl G gunner, suppressed M27s for all, a better 203 for team leaders, one 240 as a constant base of fire(or something in .338NM) and a hand held 60 mm mortar just for fun. And portable reliable radio for the squad leader that doesnt lose comm after 2 km. POS prc152.

That would be a squad of destruction right there. Bigly.
View Quote
Damn, have you been listening in on my phone calls?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

AR can be cleaned to spotless inspection condition without damage as I assume you well understand.

Preaching to the choir as we all understand there is no reason to clean an AR to spotless except in a training/teaching situation.

Making recruits clean their AR to white glove condition is valuable training for other purposes and does not necessarily require damaging the rifle.
View Quote
Look I don't think you understand how much time is wasted and wear forced on the average Marine's weapon because he his forced to scrub it.
This is an issue outside of bootcamp, there is no point for a Marine to go to the armory, break down and clean his weapon when the weapon isn't dirty.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

ETA: Proper lube is going to smudge the white gloves.
View Quote
Indeed, Sir.  I agree wholeheartedly with you.  I don't think we'll ever be able to get the depots to stop the "clandestine" methods of weapons cleaning since they have so little time in order to achieve bone-dry, spotless perfection before final armory turn-in.  There is simply too much pressure on the Drill Instructors to meet the turn-in standard.  At the end of the day, the Marine Corps shells out big money to replace large portions of these weapons (which are also thrown down the squad bays from time to time).  I like the term, "operationally clean" or something that relates directly to "Prep For Combat", but we're the Corps and it all has to be spelled out in an SOP, an Order, or a reference.  The "standard" for proper weapons cleaning will NOT be a fun order to write and there will be much gnashing to teeth (which is likely why we keep repeating ourselves at the depots).
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Look I don't think you understand how much time is wasted and wear forced on the average Marine's weapon because he his forced to scrub it.
This is an issue outside of bootcamp, there is no point for a Marine to go to the armory, break down and clean his weapon when the weapon isn't dirty.
View Quote
Discipline
Attention to detail

There is a realistic level of cleaning that can be acheived without scrubbing off the blueing and damage to the weapons.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
I am going on the assumption that the cleaning serves a different training purpose than "How to Clean a Rifle".

From a tax paying outsider looking in I would prefer Marines learned how to break down and clean rifles without damage than attend SHARP training.

I would much prefer Marines were cleaning rifles they got filthy from advanced marksmanship training.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I am going on the assumption that the cleaning serves a different training purpose than "How to Clean a Rifle".

From a tax paying outsider looking in I would prefer Marines learned how to break down and clean rifles without damage than attend SHARP training.

I would much prefer Marines were cleaning rifles they got filthy from advanced marksmanship training.
View Quote
There is honestly no reason behind it, it's not a punishment.
It is nothing but a time waster that is actually hindering the life of the weapon.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Discipline
Attention to detail

There is a realistic level of cleaning that can be acheived without scrubbing off the blueing and damage to the weapons.
View Quote
And nearly every rifle in the armory is clean enough, you are not achieving anything by making a Marine scrub his weapon for hours.
There is so much more that can be used with that time.

Seriously when I got sent to the armory I would pull my rifle out and just sit there with it because I knew it was clean because I cleaned it. I am not breaking it down and going after every piece of carbon with a set of dentists tools.
"Attention to detail" be damned.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It is nothing but a time waster that is actually hindering the life of the weapon.
View Quote
And can very likely teach bad habits that can remain with troops beyond training.   Beds, boots, uniforms, floors.... there are plenty of things to make troops scrub and fold into submission in order to teach discipline and attention to detail.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
I will defer to your first hand experience.

Maybe spend the time Dry Firing?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

And nearly every rifle in the armory is clean enough, you are not achieving anything by making a Marine scrub his weapon for hours.
There is so much more that can be used with that time.

Seriously when I got sent to the armory I would pull my rifle out and just sit there with it because I knew it was clean because I cleaned it. I am not breaking it down and going after every piece of carbon with a set of dentists tools.
"Attention to detail" be damned.
View Quote
Your 2111's and company comander have a big hand in that. Scaping carbon getting cotton swabs stuck in gas keys.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
you are not achieving anything by making a Marine scrub his weapon for hours.
View Quote
Sure you are.

You're embedding a deep seated urge to clean every weapon to bare shiny metal that they know in their heart of hearts is required for the weapon to function.  Then when they become team leaders and squad leaders they'll be sure to pass that obsession to every boot under them just like we did 30 years ago when I was in the Army Infantry.

With any luck that obsession will drive young troops to resort to caustic chemicals to clean carbon off the face of the pistons and if it strips off parkerizing or damages chrome plating then so be it.

(There's some sarcasm in there for those who can't figure it out.)
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

God forbid we should hand somebody a compass and a topo map instead of scraping the finish off of rifles.

That or teaching people how to properly operate and talk on a radio.

I could think of a thousand better skils to work on that would cost not one cent more to perfect than abusing already clean small arms.
View Quote
I tried getting 240 MCI and TMs and getting them out of the armory to actually teach Marines stuff after I went to the Machine Gunner's course but I wasn't allowed apparently chain of command didn't really care I guess.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep.... M14 Replaced the BAR and I would venture to say the M1919A4 since the M60 replaced it . This is nothing new. In fact it mirrors the M14 and M16 program in many ways
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top