Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#1]
'98 Supra 6 speed in Quicksilver, and black leather, alcantara the interior, add LEDs, and I'll be good.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:48:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

People didn't buy them.

Just like the bare-bones, base-model, 4cyl, regular cab long bed manual transmission midsize truck that nobody buys.
View Quote
They weren't trying to sell them either. Less than 3k imported per year and almost zero marketing. I held out at first, thought it was a little underpowered and overpriced. After driving one it was an easy decision. Was considering a ZL1 or CTS-V as well. It's really too bad the plant closed
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 3:04:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

People didn't buy them because they were $45k luxury vehicles with Chevy badges on them.
View Quote
There is a fix for that! I swapped all mine out the first month, along with swapping all the chrome trim to black.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:41:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There's always a lot of folks on the Internetdom that claim, "if this existed, I'd buy it today!" but never do.  At first, I used to think there was something to these comments; maybe manufacturers aren't actually listening to their customer base, but any time a company (like many have done a few times) steps out to fill that supposed void, nobody buys.  So the units languish on the lot, the guy who swore up and down they'd sell like crazy gets demoted/fired, and its' back to business as usual.  Over time I came to realize that by and large the market research shows what people want; CUVs, widgets, MPG.

Perhaps if that mythical group of buyers put their money where their mouth is, these sorts of things wouldn't continually happen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People didn't buy them because they were $45k luxury vehicles with Chevy badges on them.
There's always a lot of folks on the Internetdom that claim, "if this existed, I'd buy it today!" but never do.  At first, I used to think there was something to these comments; maybe manufacturers aren't actually listening to their customer base, but any time a company (like many have done a few times) steps out to fill that supposed void, nobody buys.  So the units languish on the lot, the guy who swore up and down they'd sell like crazy gets demoted/fired, and its' back to business as usual.  Over time I came to realize that by and large the market research shows what people want; CUVs, widgets, MPG.

Perhaps if that mythical group of buyers put their money where their mouth is, these sorts of things wouldn't continually happen.
Despite being a manufacturer with a well earned reputation of producing garbage, Dodge still sells ~95,000 Chargers every year. All GM had to do was reproduce that formula with GM parts/engineering and compete in that space.

People want RWD sedans with horsepower, but you're going to have a hard time finding buyers at $45k.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd like to see two speed rear ends on heavy duty pickups. Something like 311 and 410 or maybe even 311 and 430. Would be great for mileage. I can't be the only person who ever thought of that.
View Quote
My Fleetwood motor home had a inline electronically activated over drive. Was like 408 to 490. With OD on that LS-6 454 would be hitting redline about 80MPH
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My Fleetwood motor home had a inline electronically activated over drive. Was like 408 to 490. With OD on that LS-6 454 would be hitting redline about 80MPH
View Quote

I recall back in the day reading about some corvette a guy had modified to hit 200 mph.  One feature was a two speed overdrive, I believe it mounted to the tail shaft of the transmission.  I agree with the original premise that a two speed selectable overdrive as part of the rear differential would be kick ass.  Could really help out with highway fuel mileage when not towing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I recall back in the day reading about some corvette a guy had modified to hit 200 mph.  One feature was a two speed overdrive, I believe it mounted to the tail shaft of the transmission.  I agree with the original premise that a two speed selectable overdrive as part of the rear differential would be kick ass.  Could really help out with highway fuel mileage when not towing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most new transmissions have two overdrive gears.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Most new transmissions have two overdrive gears.
View Quote

That's not really as interesting as a two speed rear end IMO.  You have an 8 speed auto transmission?  Now it's a 16 speed.  Seems the computer could always find the perfect gear for the conditions.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:49:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
5th gen 4runner with a supercharger and manual transmission or possibly a turbo diesel option, also with manual transmission.

A Trail Edition Sequoia.
View Quote
I like where you are going. A turbocharged V8 in a 4runner or Sequioia. 

Wish Toyota offered with their Sequoia and 4runner (and the lexus Gx460) lines that Jeep does with the Grand Cherokee SRT.  I know there was twin turbocharged Land Cruiser in the news recently that's running 2000 hp. 
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I have three

I love another G60 Ralley Golf - Wolfsburg Edition

of just the G60 Golf GTI - Wolfsburg Edition

or a Mercedes 560 SEC - (1990 Model)
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Put a mid size V8 (min 350 cubic inches) back into the F-150. And bring back a manual transmission option. Finally quit hooking engine and transmission options to specific trim packackes.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Surprised no one has said this but diesel Tacoma that won't cost an arm and a leg.
View Quote
Because we want a diesel Hilux.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:59:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Also a production version of this. Might have me consider driving a minivan

Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#15]
A Ford Ranger.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Bring back the 2007-2014 Toyota FJ, but with Ford 3.5L ecoboost, and Dana 60 axles front and rear(yes solid axle front), with E lockers and the rest of Toyota's offroad electronics. 

Also would like to see new Mustang available with EcoBoost 5.0 coyote from factory.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Dragula

Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Sub $50k mid-engine sports car, preferably with all wheel drive and a heads up display. Basically my dream car is the rumored, vapor ware, baby NSX.

Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:05:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sub $50k mid-engine sports car, preferably with all wheel drive and a heads up display. Basically my dream car is the rumored, vapor ware, baby NSX.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--UD2w82qI--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/g6mte0s5xezvnm5aadxu.png
View Quote
Essentially a Fiero with better build quality?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--UD2w82qI--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/g6mte0s5xezvnm5aadxu.png
View Quote

Look at the Honda S660.  That platform with a ~250hp turbocharged 4 cyl would be a screamer.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:08:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Kinda like the K-5 Blazer?
That's my choice.
View Quote
Either that or a Ford Bronco full size.  No fancy electronics, just a basic unit.  I miss the simplicity of those vehicles.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Early 80's toyota hilux diesel 4X4 quad cab.   no "govt safety" crap, no bluetooth, etc....    simple, light cheap truck.
View Quote
This is the only answer.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#23]
A basic Wrangler with a V8 and basically nothing else. No backup cameras, no TPI sensors, none of that bullshit. If anything, some engine/tranny instrumentation to my liking. Basically all the reasons I own a Wrangler in the first place, with none of the crap that makes vehicles stupidly expensive these days.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
V6 3 rotor forced induction Mazda Miata
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Some of you act like electronics are the fucking devil.

"it's something else to break" <--- said by ignoramuses who refuse to learn about electronics
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:02:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I want a DEFENDER 110

WITHA a Cummins DIESEL

And pro rock 60s From dynatrac

ATLAS 2

NV4500 and a mini gun to cut POS MFers down

KUATO will ride shotgun and stare at girls until they get all wet and shit!
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:22:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Factory V8 Wrangler
Hummer HX
View Quote
Factory V8 Wrangler with carbureted 360.

Electric nothing!!  

EMP proof
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This.   Every pickup on the market these days is a fucking monstrosity.  Something simple and small please.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:32:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:34:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

the only problem I have with electronics on cars these days is there are a lot of them that tend to be intrusive or nanny like. For instance, on jeep wrangler JK's you can't completely disable traction control without custom programming. Almost all cars have a gay message that pops up on the nav, none of them let you put addresses in while driving....my absolute pet peeve is the dashpot features they have put on modern electronic throttle bodies to prevent them from slamming shut for emissions purposes. throttle response is a dead thing in most cars, just trying to hold at a constant rpm is fucking aggravating on one. you can mitigate it with custom programming but that costs money and you shouldnt have to in the first place.
View Quote
I do agree with the nanny shit being frustrating. I suppose I'm also spoiled in the manner that I can pull out my laptop and change anything I want to.

I'm primarily referring to those who bitch about having to get power windows, or nav, etc. Fucking cranky old Luddites.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:54:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I do agree with the nanny shit being frustrating. I suppose I'm also spoiled in the manner that I can pull out my laptop and change anything I want to.

I'm primarily referring to those who bitch about having to get power windows, or nav, etc. Fucking cranky old Luddites.
View Quote
While I like my fancy cars, it would be nice to be able to order a vehicle with desired features instead of only specific motor/transmission/option package.

Like an Ecoboost Mustang with 100% of all the handling and aero available on a GT.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:58:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Make mine a diesel Yukon Denali with lockers, a winch bumper, and night vision HUD. 
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:07:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Road legal LMP
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:20:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Early 80's toyota hilux diesel 4X4 quad cab.   no "govt safety" crap, no bluetooth, etc....    simple, light cheap truck.
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:08:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Take a Ram longbed manual transmission 4x4 like the one I had to sell:

And give it the same power as the Asin automatic (or more ) and a RoadRanger double OD 13spd transmission and an Atlas2 transufer case, with the stoutest u-joints they can find. Thats it. I just want to tow whatever will hook to it, and when empty get 35mpg.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:27:21 AM EDT
[#37]
This truck, on a modern F-350 chassis/drivetrain, with no electronics, safety, or emissions bullshit on it.  Offer it with the Triton V10, or a Cummins 5.9/6.7 and a 7-8spd. manual trans.  
Super-60 front with kingpins
D80 rear
Lockers for both.  
Airbags.
Front 16k winch.

Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:28:31 AM EDT
[#38]
A Silverado crew cab with curved wheel wells, good paint on the frame instead of wax, a 6.2L without AFM or direct injection, and a convertible hard top.  

A Tahoe with all of the above would also be cool.  But with today's crash/rollover standards, it might need a roll cage.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:45:17 AM EDT
[#39]
40mpg+ saturn sedan complete with plastic dent free panels. But with leather interior and sunroof.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:05:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
'98 Supra 6 speed in Quicksilver, and black leather, alcantara the interior, add LEDs, and I'll be good.
View Quote
A new supra.

350-400 bhp

Not full of expensive tech, none of that battery and motor business pushing up the price like the NSX

Just a front engined rwd sports car most importantly cheap reliable and fun.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:01:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A new supra.

350-400 bhp

Not full of expensive tech, none of that battery and motor business pushing up the price like the NSX

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A new supra.

350-400 bhp

Because the original Supra was cheap, right?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:07:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Something about the size and shape of the current dart, with AWD, a manual trans, and the 305 hp pentastar out of the challenger.  

The Neon SRT-4 was nearly there.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#43]
4.6 liter V6 diesel
full boxed-beam frame
straight axles
front coil-over
rear leaf
selective manual lockers
minimum 8" diff-ground clearance
four corner disc brakes
four door, tumbling and removable rear seating
removable 3/4 rear cab wall
flat utility bed, fully-gated, removable, inset airline track tie-down system, posted corners for accepting removable rear bed cage
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:16:19 AM EDT
[#44]

+

+

Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Chevy SS only two options that cost are the sunroof and spare tire. It's pretty much loaded with all the gadgets standard though. You can have auto or manual at the same price. I wish we could get the HSV GTS in the USA. I had to settle for the SS and supercharger, heads, cam, etc.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183699/IMG-0614-162046.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A rwd sedan with a manual transmission, V8, or turbo V6 that isn't a damn 'luxury' vehicle.

Pretty much any vehicle that I could order individual options instead of option packages.  I shouldn't have to pay for Bose surround sound just because I want fog lights.
The Chevy SS. I think the only option was a sunroof.
Beat me to it.

http://www.chevrolet.com/ss-sports-sedan#
Chevy SS only two options that cost are the sunroof and spare tire. It's pretty much loaded with all the gadgets standard though. You can have auto or manual at the same price. I wish we could get the HSV GTS in the USA. I had to settle for the SS and supercharger, heads, cam, etc.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183699/IMG-0614-162046.jpg
He was talking about a basic, stripped down performance car, probably price around or less than $30,000. I looked at the SS on Chevy's website, it's loaded with tech options, leather trim, park assist. All that shit costs $$$, whether it's standard or not.  Base MSRP is $46,000.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#46]
The 707HP Jeep Wrangler TrailCat-

Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Land Rover Defender 90 that did not require spare parts and break all the fucking time.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#49]
TT V8 manual wagon.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Put a mid size V8 (min 350 cubic inches) back into the F-150. And bring back a manual transmission option. Finally quit hooking engine and transmission options to specific trim packackes.
View Quote
I'm not sure I'd consider a 5.0 to be small.

Also, starting in model year 2018, that 5.0 will have 395 HP and 400 ft-lbs of torque. What are you wanting to do with a half ton pickup that numbers like that aren't more than enough?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top