User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A little fat will make you taste better when grilled.

BMI will be the least of your worries.
View Quote
lol, kuru
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?  If I eat whatever I want and don't exercise, I don't go above single digits.  The highest I've seen myself was 9.something.  it's usually around 7-8%  I run 3 miles ish, 3 days a week, most of the time unless I'm working a lot of ot, or have stuff to do.  I eat fairly well, meaning next to no fast food, and try not to eat too much packaged food, soda very rarely and try to limit the beer/booze.  I eat this way because eating food with an ingredient list that reads like a science project seems stupid to me, not because I'm trying to control my weight.  I still drink beer, eat ice cream, the occasional candy bar and have a soda or monster every once in a while.  

My body fat has always been measured with the PlayStation controller looking thing that gyms normally have, which I've heard aren't the most accurate things, but even being a couple of whole percentage points off wouldn't put me above 12%

ETA: just for fun, I'm 6'3, 175 lbs.
View Quote
If you ate enough to get over 10%, and exercised, your test levels would go up and you'd gain 20 pounds of muscle easily.

Some guys are naturally really lean but it isn't good for you hormonally long term, low test over long periods of time leads to bad outcomes, heart disease, osteoporosis, people who try to stay below 10% for long tend to get injuries too.

12% is optimal IMO, some variation depending on the individual genetics.

A legit 7% BF is really shredded though, most people dramatically underestimate how much bodyfat they have. At 7% you should see striations in everything in the morning.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#3]
16.7% according to google

Being skinny will help me to fit into smaller places.
Good for thievin'
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Us fatties will hole up and live a lot longer than the skinny people who will starve first. Then when we are thinner we will have less competition for resources.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How old are you
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?  If I eat whatever I want and don't exercise, I don't go above single digits.  The highest I've seen myself was 9.something.  it's usually around 7-8%  I run 3 miles ish, 3 days a week, most of the time unless I'm working a lot of ot, or have stuff to do.  I eat fairly well, meaning next to no fast food, and try not to eat too much packaged food, soda very rarely and try to limit the beer/booze.  I eat this way because eating food with an ingredient list that reads like a science project seems stupid to me, not because I'm trying to control my weight.  I still drink beer, eat ice cream, the occasional candy bar and have a soda or monster every once in a while.  

My body fat has always been measured with the PlayStation controller looking thing that gyms normally have, which I've heard aren't the most accurate things, but even being a couple of whole percentage points off wouldn't put me above 12%

How old are you
If he's older than 20 then he must have a tape worm.

I walk six miles/day at least five times per week and if I eat an ice cream cone I gain three pounds and have to go on  starvation diet to lose those pounds back. 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I walk six miles/day at least five times per week and if I eat an ice cream cone I gain three pounds and have to go on  starvation diet to lose those pounds back. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How old are you

Well, walking doesn't exactly incinerate the calories. Maybe 100 calories a mile depending on the pace.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, walking doesn't exactly incinerate the calories. Maybe 100 calories a mile depending on the pace.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How old are you

At my age and build, about 140 calories per mile, at a 3 MPH pace, which for a 6 mile walk comes out to 840 calories on top of what my metabolism naturally burns. 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I've lost 10 pounds over the last two and a half weeks trying to fight off some superbug.  I can't imagine what shape I'd be in on a venezuelan diet.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
At my age and build, about 140 calories per mile, at a 3 MPH pace, which for a 6 mile walk comes out to 840 calories on top of what my metabolism naturally burns. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How old are you

You can up that rate by doing intervals.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Would not hurt a bit to have an extra 20-30 pounds of fat on top of what ever your optimal BMI is if you are young and otherwise healthy.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Depends on where you're at.

Typically, a slight amount of fat is good to have if you may be going hungry for awhile; if you're in a colder area, more fat is useful.

So somewhere between fitness/acceptable is about right in most areas, and somewhat obese is better if you're in some place like, say... Alaska.

Don't assume someone who is fat is also unfit. I've seen some fat motherfuckers that could outrun any of you in the Iron Man.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How old are you

I'm 38 and around 12%. I have to work hard to gain weight. I can eat all kinds of junk food and not gain. Its a shame I don't enjoy eating cakes/pies ect. Fat people hate me.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you ate enough to get over 10%, and exercised, your test levels would go up and you'd gain 20 pounds of muscle easily.

Some guys are naturally really lean but it isn't good for you hormonally long term, low test over long periods of time leads to bad outcomes, heart disease, osteoporosis, people who try to stay below 10% for long tend to get injuries too.

A legit 7% BF is really shredded though, most people dramatically underestimate how much bodyfat they have. At 7% you should see striations in everything in the morning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't know low body fat/low t was normal until it happened to me. High stress physically demanding long hour job while being a single dad did it. A lot of factors.

Remarried with dad bod 2 years later and I feel the increase in testosterone.

Though I did have more energy/endurance when I was super fit with low t. Wierd.

Now I just turn into an asshole if I go more than 2 days without getting laid
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Fat folks are hungry all the time because their bodies have become terribly inefficient. If Merica ran out food the fat asses are in a world of shit.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm in my early/mid thirties. I don't have a strict exercise regimen. I work afternoons/evenings so I usually don't eat until Noon or later. I eat McDonalds at 0100 hours.

Only time I've gained weight is when I made a conscience effort and lifted pretty heavy. Managed to gain 10 lbs in a few months. If I eat "normal" I don't gain anything. I'm muscular from working out "back in the day" and you can see my ribs/six pack all the time. Part of it is genetics, my parents aren't fat at all.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Would not hurt a bit to have an extra 20-30 pounds of fat on top of what ever your optimal BMI is if you are young and otherwise healthy.
View Quote
I am all set, then.

BMI is bullshit.  Skinniest I ever was is also the most I ever weighed.  Probably the 'worst' BMI, too.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, if it's zombies, the literature suggests that people in comas do very well.

So in the case of the zombie apocalypse, I should think a 600+ pounder - who could just lay low for the first, say, 28 days, just waiting out the furor of the initial outbreak before needing to emerge to forage - could similarly do quite well.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I didn't know low body fat/low t was normal until it happened to me. High stress physically demanding long hour job while being a single dad did it. A lot of factors.

View Quote
It's funny how the body works, I'm 43 and I'm primary for my two young daughters, my T dropped so low my E2 was continually crashed.

Since I found that out I read there are a bunch of studies that fathers tend to have lower T levels, holding a baby will drop your T for days, crazy stuff.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well, if it's zombies, the literature suggests that people in comas do very well.

So in the case of the zombie apocalypse, I should think a 600+ pounder - who could just lay low for the first, say, 28 days, just waiting out the furor of the initial outbreak before needing to emerge to forage - could similarly do quite well.
View Quote
First rule- cardio.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm in my early/mid thirties. I don't have a strict exercise regimen. I work afternoons/evenings so I usually don't eat until Noon or later. I eat McDonalds at 0100 hours.

Only time I've gained weight is when I made a conscience effort and lifted pretty heavy. Managed to gain 10 lbs in a few months. If I eat "normal" I don't gain anything. I'm muscular from working out "back in the day" and you can see my ribs/six pack all the time. Part of it is genetics, my parents aren't fat at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think lifting heavy kind of self regulates itself, if you do it regularly you just naturally get super hungry.

I had a hell of a time the first time I did a bulk. My body is the type that only really wants the food it needs to replace energy that was used. It was pretty eye opening but taught me a lot about how to actually turn food into body weight effectively, instead of just using it as fuel.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Doesn't matter.  If the SHTF, your BMI will work itself out.
View Quote
you don't get the question he's asking.

he's asking about the breakeven point between the benefit of stored calories (in body fat) vs the penalty of extra weight (of body fat) at the beginning of the apocalypse.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Under 25% puts you ahead of 1/3rd of the population.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I figured the small fats will be good eating.  The super fats will be used for fuel
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm at about 8-9% atm...as long as you have endless supplies of protein powder its easy and you don't have to eat that much.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
He sounds very young. I suspect his answer will change as he ages
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

you don't get the question he's asking.

he's asking about the breakeven point between the benefit of stored calories (in body fat) vs the penalty of extra weight (of body fat) at the beginning of the apocalypse.
View Quote
The breakeven point will be staying alive for the first 120 days after a serious event. By day 120 a third of the country will probably be dead, and regardless of how big or small you were on day one, you won't be that size on day one twenty.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Has this ever happened?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I remember correctly, the fat people are usually the first to die in a crisis. This applies to rapid starvation circumstances too.
Has this ever happened?
It seems like I remember a study done on people in Nazi concentration camps, but that's why I said if I remember correctly. It rings a bell, but I can't remember if it was an actual study or just someone's memory.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:06:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Doesn't matter.  If the SHTF, your BMI will work itself out.
View Quote
Yep.  The hard way.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#29]
If TEOTWAWKI really happens, fat people will eat anything they can find...including skinny people.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's funny how the body works, I'm 43 and I'm primary for my two young daughters, my T dropped so low my E2 was continually crashed.

Since I found that out I read there are a bunch of studies that fathers tend to have lower T levels, holding a baby will drop your T for days, crazy stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two of my three at the time were girls now we have a 4th...11 month old boy. That is interesting info.

Tbh there were aspects of the lower t that made me more functional in modern pussified society....now that it's up again the majority of my free thought is in the realm of fighting/fucking and my temper is shorter. I recently started working out again to help get the energy out but it's just elevating it even more.

With 4 kids kids and both of us working full time there's too many days of "I'm exhausted let's do it during nap time tomorrow?" Not sure how long our sex life is going to remain consentual...though that's probably what she's looking forward too.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:51:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

How old are you
View Quote
I'm 35

I keep hearing that it'll catch up with me.  I try to satay fit so on can play with my kids mostly.

I'd never heard the low body fat=low t thing though.  My t levwl  is under 400.  I started lifting weights to try to boost it back up because I've read that more muscle = more t.  Maybe more ice cream = more t?  Lol
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:55:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Doesn't matter.  I'll probably stay fat because I'm going to be making tacos out of all you fuckers! lol  
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:08:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Stay skinny, if the shit hits the fan eat the fat people.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 4:36:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Lots of fantasy in this thread...
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 4:43:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Being a disgusting fat body isn't good. But being at 7% Body Fat super lean would not be optimal either. How fat should one be for the apocalypse? Gonna need some padding for the hard times ahead. Assume a Mad Max TEOTWAWKI event and eat accordingly.

https://image.ibb.co/jXFDha/IMG_6039.jpg
View Quote

Fuck the BMI off.  Next thing you'll be asking is "how shiny do black leather shoes have to be for maximum killing power?"
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 4:49:02 AM EDT
[#36]
In SHTF, for everyone "bugging out", BMI won't be an issue everyone else doing so will be.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top