Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/28/2017 8:55:12 AM EDT
Being a disgusting fat body isn't good. But being at 7% Body Fat super lean would not be optimal either. How fat should one be for the apocalypse? Gonna need some padding for the hard times ahead. Assume a Mad Max TEOTWAWKI event and eat accordingly.

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:56:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't matter.  If the SHTF, your BMI will work itself out.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:58:05 AM EDT
[#2]
40, the key is to just stock various pants sizes so you can adjust as you burn through your energy stocks.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:58:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Came here to say that
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
What he said...
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:59:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I am naturally pretty bulky and work out 4-5x a week. I feel like I'm hungry 24/7. I know that when I'm watching Naked and Afraid I regularly think about how I would do horrible at the no food part.

I would say that the skinny fat people would do well. Lean enough to not need the calories for metabolism, but enough fat reserves to hold them over if needed.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
     This, quit living in a fantasy world.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Totally came here to say the same.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am naturally pretty bulky and work out 4-5x a week. I feel like I'm hungry 24/7. I know that when I'm watching Naked and Afraid I regularly think about how I would do horrible at the no food part.

I would say that the skinny fat people would do well. Lean enough to not need the calories for metabolism, but enough fat reserves to hold them over if needed.
View Quote
Only if the skinny fats don't ever have to run, lift heavy things or fight.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:02:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Guns and ammo aren't the only things I'm stockpiling.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own. Now where is that milk shake!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#11]
The fat ones are the cannibals.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Only if the skinny fats don't ever have to run, lift heavy things or fight.
View Quote
My skinny fat friends all run pretty regularly. Way more than I do at least. They make tools/leverage devices to lift (although carrying a pack/supplies would be a bitch for them), and I don't think fighting will ever be a huge issue considering the immense number of guns/ammo everyone has (at least in the South).
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Super obese, you're going to shed the pounds
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#14]
If I remember correctly, the fat people are usually the first to die in a crisis. This applies to rapid starvation circumstances too.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can you starve if you are fat given adequate water and maybe vitamins?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
But being at 7% Body Fat super lean would not be optimal either.
View Quote
7% is just fine.  I've done a lot of solo backcountry climbing and several expeditions at that %BF and was just fine.  With minimal calorie food loads, the timing of what you eat seems more important than total calories consumed in a day.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No - as long as they don't fuck up the resulting ketosis.

There have been fatbodies that have "fasted" for a year.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
7% is just fine.  I've done a lot of solo backcountry climbing and several expeditions at that %BF and was just fine.  With minimal calorie food loads, the timing of what you eat seems more important than total calories consumed in a day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But being at 7% Body Fat super lean would not be optimal either.
7% is teetering near that point where the guys that actually try hard to achieve those levels start to get weak and sick.

Somewhere between 10-15% (depending on the person) seems to be where a lot of guys feel the best.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#19]
A little fat will make you taste better when grilled.

BMI will be the least of your worries.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

7% is teetering near that point where the guys that actually try hard to achieve those levels start to get weak and sick.

Somewhere between 10-15% (depending on the person) seems to be where a lot of guys feel the best.
View Quote
I got to 7.2% about 10 years ago.  190lbs, real muscular and veiny.  It was difficult to get there and just as hard to maintain it.  It was probably the best I've ever felt in my life but would be completely impossible to sustain it when the shtf.  I was eating 6-8 times a day of meticulously planned meals and working out 6 days a week.......

.....then the C5/C6 disc blew..
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:04:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
This!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#22]
In all seriousness, switching to paleo was very difficult.   All the sugar, extra salt, processed food, high carb, etc loss felt horrible the first couple weeks.

Would not want to go through that during a stressful shtf. At all.

Plus the bmi sorts itself out on paleo.  Can't be overweight if doing it right.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:51:00 AM EDT
[#23]
I would suggest that it is WAY more about how fit you are than your BMI.  If somebody is sedentary and does zero physical work or exercise they will have a much more difficult time in a scenario such as you stated.  There are lots of "chubby" farm boys who work very hard all day as well as "skinny" runners, mountain bikers or triathletes that have incredible endurance.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:00:59 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm my own dooms day food storage.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would suggest that it is WAY more about how fit you are than your BMI.  If somebody is sedentary and does zero physical work or exercise they will have a much more difficult time in a scenario such as you stated.  There are lots of "chubby" farm boys who work very hard all day as well as "skinny" runners, mountain bikers or triathletes that have incredible endurance.
View Quote
For most of the population BMI is a decent indicator of body composition.

At my maximum genetic potential at 10% BF (it's a few pounds either direction depending on which calculator I use) my BMI would still only be a 28 or 29. And to reach that point my dedication level will have to increase quite a bit, those last few pounds of muscle will be very difficult.

For the average Joe that just causally works out in a way they enjoy, and has a family life, then the BMI scale is usually right on the money, or very close.

I know plenty of fat bodies that are hard workers, it doesn't make them healthy though. Usually it's from too much beer and soda, you can't outwork a bad diet. For most of them, dropping the gut and torso fat would likely improve their blood markers, blood pressure, and be better for their joints in the long run.

Now GD of course is loaded with genetic outliers that bench 225 as a warm up and weigh 250 lbs at 8% BF.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If I remember correctly, the fat people are usually the first to die in a crisis. This applies to rapid starvation circumstances too.
View Quote
Has this ever happened?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#27]
The rules from zombieland apply to more than just a zombiepocalypse.

Can you cut and split wood for heat and cooking?  Can you handle gardening for your food, need to can enough to keep over the winter?  Are you hauling water by hand? 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
40, the key is to just stock various pants sizes so you can adjust as you burn through your energy stocks.
View Quote
Overalls fix this problem. you'll only need to stock two sizes. The size you are now and two sizes smaller.

If you live long enough, you'll either find the food you need to maintain the smaller size, the SHTF will be over.......or you'll be dead from something.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#29]
You should be strong and have reasonably good cardio.  I'd say about 20% body fat is ideal for strength and so you a little fat reserve to tap into when food goes scarce.  Really lean guys seem to get hurt or sick more easily.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Are we discussing for ourselves or the people we will be eating?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#31]
So shtf is your new excuse for being fat

Fucking gd never disappoints
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Depends.  What kind of shit?   What kind of fan?

BMI is also a bullshit metric that can show someone in amazing shape as morbidly obese, and skinny fat people in horrendous condition as optimal health.

Bodyfat percentage is a much better metric.

-In general under 12% for men changes your hormones increasing coritzol and decreasing testosterone, so your body starts cannibalizing muscle.  Something similar happens to women around 16-17%.
Keeping your bodyfat this low is extremely difficult without a very well managed diet and probably exogenous hormone support.  Basically I can't see how an insanely lean person would fair well at all in any environment described as austere.

Where you go above this depends greatly on the type of environment.  Are you moving quickly for less than say 40-100 miles at a time and then resting?  You may want to be leaner.   Are you constantly moving 10-20miles a day all day every day?   You may want to start out with an advantage if you have a little chunk but that chunk won't last long.   Are you competing with other humans?  Being a fatty is definitely NOT a good idea.
How available are calories?  Clean water?  Etc...?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#33]
What on Earth makes you think that being fat in any way is an advantage when SHTF.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#34]
We had a school principal back in 1961 who had survived the Bataan Death March. His name was Ted Spalding.
He would tell us kids stories about it while we were in study hall.
He said the fat guys survived the longest.

Edited to add: At that point in the Philippines battle I doubt that any were actually obese.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#35]
OP,
Being a dumbass & labeling a thread "BMI" posting & posting a chart on % body fat likely isn't too bright.
I suspect the zombie apocalypse will weed out the dumbass, fat bodies & unlucky, too.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
OP,
Being a dumbass & labeling a thread "BMI" posting & posting a chart on % body fat likely isn't too bright.
I suspect the zombie apocalypse will weed out the dumbass, fat bodies & unlucky, too.
View Quote
And then there is your skinny ass stuck with a 32acp at the end
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
We had a school principal back in 1961 who had survived the Bataan Death March. His name was Ted Spalding.
He would tell us kids stories about it while we were in study hall.
He said the fat guys survived the longest.
View Quote
But, being "fat" in the 1940s is a littler different from being fat now.  Look at what was considered being a lard ass back then.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Whatever worked for these guys is probably good.

All of a sudden, my rapid 30lbs of weight loss due to working too much and not eating enough doesn't seem too bad. I just need a FAL and Chuck's to go with my silkies.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What on Earth makes you think that being fat in any way is an advantage when SHTF.
View Quote
Not a disgusting fat body, but a small spare tire and a little pudginess will go a long way to keeping the massive headaches down and have some energy in reserves. Granted if you have strength to go with it.

It costs a lot of money and effort to maintain a strong slim physique.

An average construction worker or farm hand will fair much better than a bodybuilder or athlete.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
A little fat will make you taste better when grilled.

BMI will be the least of your worries.
View Quote
You're giving hope to all the members that have a BMI of 40+
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#41]
I remember taking a nutrition class in college and one lecture was about how fat people had a better chance of surviving concentration camps because they had more caloric reserves than skinny people.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Depends.  What kind of shit?   What kind of fan?

-In general under 12% for men changes your hormones increasing coritzol and decreasing testosterone, so your body starts cannibalizing muscle.  Something similar happens to women around 16-17%.
Keeping your bodyfat this low is extremely difficult without a very well managed diet and probably exogenous hormone support.  Basically I can't see how an insanely lean person would fair well at all in any environment described as austere.
View Quote
Where do you guys come up with this stuff?  If I eat whatever I want and don't exercise, I don't go above single digits.  The highest I've seen myself was 9.something.  it's usually around 7-8%  I run 3 miles ish, 3 days a week, most of the time unless I'm working a lot of ot, or have stuff to do.  I eat fairly well, meaning next to no fast food, and try not to eat too much packaged food, soda very rarely and try to limit the beer/booze.  I eat this way because eating food with an ingredient list that reads like a science project seems stupid to me, not because I'm trying to control my weight.  I still drink beer, eat ice cream, the occasional candy bar and have a soda or monster every once in a while.  

My body fat has always been measured with the PlayStation controller looking thing that gyms normally have, which I've heard aren't the most accurate things, but even being a couple of whole percentage points off wouldn't put me above 12%

ETA: just for fun, I'm 6'3, 175 lbs.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Some additional questions to ask would be , and quite possibly more important than bodyfat idex would be;
General physical conditioning..
Overall strength and conditioning.. can you go 30 miles with a light pack and rifle?
can you go 5 miles with 75 lbs plus a rifle.....over rough terrain...?
is your dental work up to date?...a tooth infection can kill.
Do you require meds? Could you get yourself off meds?
Cholesterol? Blood pressure?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:05:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Not a disgusting fat body, but a small spare tire and a little pudginess will go a long way to keeping the massive headaches down and have some energy in reserves. Granted if you have strength to go with it.

An average construction worker or farm hand will fair much better than a bodybuilder or athlete.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this.  Guys with low body fat and carrying some muscle will get weak fast.

Ever watch Survivor?  Those ripped muscular guys ALWAYS give up and go home while the chubby middle aged women keep plugging along.

You can be athletic in fact very athletic and carry some extra fat. I know a few guys that are 30 to 50 pounds "overweight "  that can work, walk, mountain bike, etc. all day long.

Heading into a SHTF situation with good muscle mass and ripped is going to hurt.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#45]
In a long-term SHTF scenario fat people will be a great source of food, and they can be used to make soap.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I assume it has more to do with general bad health r/t obesity rather than a calorie issue. Also obese people are generally lazy and unmotivated to get shit done.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP,
.32ACP = better than a pointed stick, but not by much
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP,
It beats .25ACP, just ask James Bond.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?  If I eat whatever I want and don't exercise, I don't go above single digits.  The highest I've seen myself was 9.something.  it's usually around 7-8%  I run 3 miles ish, 3 days a week, most of the time unless I'm working a lot of ot, or have stuff to do.  I eat fairly well, meaning next to no fast food, and try not to eat too much packaged food, soda very rarely and try to limit the beer/booze.  I eat this way because eating food with an ingredient list that reads like a science project seems stupid to me, not because I'm trying to control my weight.  I still drink beer, eat ice cream, the occasional candy bar and have a soda or monster every once in a while.  

My body fat has always been measured with the PlayStation controller looking thing that gyms normally have, which I've heard aren't the most accurate things, but even being a couple of whole percentage points off wouldn't put me above 12%

ETA: just for fun, I'm 6'3, 175 lbs.
View Quote
How old are you
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I'd worry about daily medications more then my weight.

Glad I don't need any meds yet but the wife has 1 she needs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top