Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/28/2017 8:06:19 AM EDT
Thinking about switching to cordless.

I have a Makita hypoid saw, a Dewalt sawzall, and a Makita drill. All corded. All heavy and cumbersome, but always get the job done with plenty of power to spare.

Looking to simplify things and go cordless.

My son went with a 12v Milwaukee set as a starter kit and he's been happy with it. I'm considering an 18v Milwaukee set.

I always see a big variety of these tools at pawn shops, but not having experience with owning them I don't know how risky buying a used one is. I know that haggling could get me an OTD price of about $60 for each of the tools I want. Drill/circular saw/sawzall with batts and a charger should cost me less than two bills used vs almost six bills new. Milwaukee set

This will be for home use, not something I make a living with. I will be building a gazebo at end of summer and replacing the lattice top on a small patio also. Will definitely be using drill/sawzall/saw for those projects, aside from that the drill will get used a few times a year. Hard to justify spending almost $400 more just to buy new.

For those of you who work with these tools on the regular, what's your advice? Worth the extra money to buy new knowing they won't get used much? or roll the dice and buy used?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:10:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Small projects or getting into tight spots they're fine.

Have lots of extra batteries though.
They suck em down like a fat antifa protestor at a milk shake drinking contest in arizona.

20v, btw.

Better than 18 and get the larger batteries for longer life.

Don't buy used, batteries won't last (no one charges/discharges properly) and the damn things cost as much as the tools.

ETA- I'm a professional contractor and use porter cable so I guess I'm a bitch.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Thinking about switching to cordless.

I have a Makita hypoid saw, a Dewalt sawzall, and a Makita drill. All corded. All heavy and cumbersome, but always get the job done with plenty of power to spare.

Looking to simplify things and go cordless.

My son went with a 12v Milwaukee set as a starter kit and he's been happy with it. I'm considering an 18v Milwaukee set.

I always see a big variety of these tools at pawn shops, but not having experience with owning them I don't know how risky buying a used one is. I know that haggling could get me an OTD price of about $60 for each of the tools I want. Drill/circular saw/sawzall with batts and a charger should cost me less than two bills used vs almost six bills new. Milwaukee set

This will be for home use, not something I make a living with. I will be building a gazebo at end of summer and replacing the lattice top on a small patio also. Will definitely be using drill/sawzall/saw for those projects, aside from that the drill will get used a few times a year. Hard to justify spending almost $400 more just to buy new.

For those of you who work with these tools on the regular, what's your advice? Worth the extra money to buy new knowing they won't get used much? or roll the dice and buy used?
View Quote

For regular around the house use, I've had great luck with ryobi. And the price is right. You will have a bunch of guys come along saying makita or Milwaukee or you're a bitch. A lot of those guys have their tools still looking brand new or hanging up in the garage. If you aren't making a living with it, you don't need to drop that kinda coin
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Have been using cordless tools for work for 15+ years, always had good luck with makita and rigid (have rigid brushless now)
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#4]
My dad has the 12v Milwaukee set and uses it nearly every day.  He really likes it and that's saying something because hes a grumpy old codger.  I have mostly Dewalt and like it.  I think either way you go you'll be happy.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:12:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I make a living with mine. All dewalt 20v lithium.

The other guys seem to like Milwaukee. Avoid ryobi.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:13:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I love my Milwaukee brushless set. 5/5 all the way and I have owned a LOT of tools.

Get extra batteries.

Also, dont buy Milwaukee pocket knives.

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:14:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Milwaukee all day everyday! carpenter 31 years...
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love my Milwaukee brushless set. 5/5 all the way and I have owned a LOT of tools.

Get extra batteries.

Also, dont buy Milwaukee pocket knives.

You're welcome.
View Quote
I just bought a Milwaukee pocket knife.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:15:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Makita brushless.  Carpenter 32 years.

Or whatever you want.  Most don't suck now.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:17:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I make a living with mine. All dewalt 20v lithium.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Probably good sales this weekend.  I know Home Depot has Ryobi deals (for light duty home stuff, like I do).  

I'm considering buying the $99 drill just to get the two small batteries, charger and the $40 cordless fan I want to buy anyway.  Then I'll try to sell the drill since I have one and rarely use it
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:20:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I would buy new. I have a Dewalt 19volt and it works great but it wasn't cheap. I only bought it because I needed it for work and figured since the business was doing really well I just as well buy something nice.

Before that I had a 19volt Craftsman that I used the heck out of for close to 10yrs, the drill still works but the batteries don't hold a charge and two new batteries cost more than I paid for the drill. Plus the Craftsman is heavy and bulky(when compared to the newer stuff with the same power) for working in small spaces.

ETA. Don't get rid of your corded tools, you never know when they might come in handy.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:21:16 AM EDT
[#13]
If you are gonna drive a dozen or so screws and/or drill a few holes what you are looking at is just fine. For all day work, corded is the way to go. You may see that on your planned project. I have a Porter Cable 18v and the only problem I have with it is I use it so hard (driving screws with no pilot hole) that the battery is hot when it runs down. The charger charger has a safety feature that won't allow it to charge a hot battery. Solved that problem by putting the battery in the fridge for 10-15 minutes while I use the other battery. My experience with cordless has brought me to the point I now buy small, corded tools, but I can't deny the cordless is sure handy at times.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:22:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I would be wary of used cordless because of the batteries. Wait until they go on sale with two batteries.
I really like:
Milwaukee 12v series for quick shop work. Bunch of them.
Porter Cable 20v lithium drill / sawzall combo for heavier work
Hitachi screwdriver
Dewalt
All GTG
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:25:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Ace Hardware has a DeWalt drill/driver set, online only, for $160. Picked mine up yesterday. Pretty sweet.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=104606986&cp=2568443.12550841.12627600
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:31:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a dewalt  20v set and I have the milwaukee 12v fuel (brushless) impact driver.

I can only comment on the impact driver as I have both.

The Milwaukee is the unequivocal winner. Lighter and much easier to use than the variable speed Dewalt. I don't even carry the dewalt impact anymore. A guy I work with also had the dewalt. After trying the milwaukee he went out and bought one.

Battery life is outstanding. I've screwed drywall for an entire day with one standard battery. I have the extended battery and I never use it. I switch standard batteries at the end of the day.

The Milwaukee 12v line also has a TON of interesting tools. Maybe none of hem are useful to you but it's worth a look.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I use all the major brands from Bosch to Milwaukee daily and none are bad imho. I chose Milwaukee M18 Fuel for my personal tools. The 3/8 impact, drill and even vacuum are excellent. Hard to go wrong with Makita, DeWalt or even Hitachi or Rigid either. Cordless has come a long way. I still use a corded Skill Saw though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would be wary of used cordless because of the batteries. Wait until they go on sale with two batteries.
View Quote
QFT

OP:
If there is a tool that you really need; such as the 1100ftlb reverse torque cordless impact that is exclusive to Milwaukee, then you need to get that brand.

If you just want a cordless; sawzall, skill saw, jig saw, drill, hammer drill, impact drive screw gun, air pump, work light, awesome buzzing oscillating cutting and sanding tool, palm sander...et al and etc
Get an on sale kit at homielowdepot that has most of what you want and get the remainder of the tools when they are on sale with free batteries.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:45:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I have some friends who swing hammers for a living.  They said to get 18v Milwaukee.  So that's what I did (impact/drill, sawzall)

Battery life is great.  More than ample power.

Watch Rural King.  They have ridiculous sales on the Milwaukee line from time to time, they just don't advertise well.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#20]
We use Dewalt 20v Lithium impact drivers everyday at work. Drywall screws, decking screws, Tapcons. The batteries usually last us an entire day. I see no reason to own a corded drill anymore. 

The new Dewalt 60v max lithium cordless circular and reciprocating saws actually work pretty damn good. I can't say how long the batteries last in those applications as we do not use them that much but they seem to have as much power as a corded saw. 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:56:26 AM EDT
[#21]
For Milwaukee check out cpo outlets .com

I've gotten some bad ass deals on new items there.

Impact driver, hammer drill, 3 batteries, and a charger for $250 2 years ago.

An impact driver, handheld worklight, batery and charger $90 in 2016.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:57:44 AM EDT
[#22]
I love my Makita cordless tools.
Lots of optional tools once you buy the drill / driver / charger combo.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:01:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Cordless is handy, especially for tools like a drill that gets moved around a lot. But the batteries don't last forever and are expensive to replace. I'm just a homeowner/hobbyist and I've found that for my use a cordless drill and impact driver makes sense but I went corded for my circular saw, sawzall and hammer drill. I do have a small cordless circular saw that came in a kit but it's use is limited by size and power. I have Ryobi stuff and it works well for my use.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:02:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm a fan of kobalt.  They have a new 24v brushless lineup that I love.   Bought the impact/drill kit and will soon buy the reciprocating Saw.
The reasons I love them are :
Military discount
No questions asked return policy.
Batteries were $10.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#26]
I have 20 vdc DeWalt........work very well.The 6 1/2" circular saw is VERY handy and the 5 amp/hour battery lasts a long  time.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm switching all of my Dewalts to Ridgid. You can't beat the lifetime warranty from ridgid.

So far so good on them. I like em.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Makita Brushless for the drills and drill drivers.

ETA:  I read your OP too fast.  If you're buying new, Ryobi would be fine.  If you're buying used, look at Bosch, Milwaukee, Makita, and Hitachi.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Cordless is handy, especially for tools like a drill that gets moved around a lot. But the batteries don't last forever and are expensive to replace. I'm just a homeowner/hobbyist and I've found that for my use a cordless drill and impact driver makes sense but I went corded for my circular saw, sawzall and hammer drill. I do have a small cordless circular saw that came in a kit but it's use is limited by size and power. I have Ryobi stuff and it works well for my use.
View Quote
This is pretty much where I'm at.

The only time I can remember thinking a sawzall would be handy when I wasn't within reach of electricity was a couple of times repairing /rebuilding deer stands in the woods.

A small chainsaw did the trick.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#30]
I've got M18 fuel stuff.  The drill and driver are overkill.  I've got a 7" auger and the drill sinks a post hole in 2 seconds.  The 7 1/4" circ saw is awesome.  The electronic brake makes it better than corded for me.  I love the handheld M18 vacuum.  I use it constantly around the house.

If you only needed a drill and driver I'd recommend M12 Fuel.  But if you want a Sawzall and circ saw then go M18 Fuel for the whole line.  I hear the DeWalt circ saw is great so you might look there as well.  

Either way I'd get on Home Depots email list and watch for sales.  Also check out Toolbarn.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#31]
I've ran Dewalt for years and had them in many flavors... 12v, 14v, 18v, and 20v.  While I do like the Milwaukee, now that Dewalt has the Flexvolt system that allows you to use the 60v batteries in the 20v platform, I won't be changing anytime soon.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#32]
For what your doing Ryobi.  I have, or know someone who has owned all of the brands.  For the coin Ryobi.  I still have the old blue drill thats 15 yrs old and has been dropped more times that I can count, still works.  I have almost every green ryobi tool and use them part time professionally.  They are light and the new batteries are as well.  No problems with them.  If you want the best go Millwaukee.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Milwaukee all day everyday! carpenter 31 years...
View Quote
Ditto.
Plumbing contractor 29 years. Milwaukee only. We are now fully cordless besides battery charger since Milwaukee came out with the super hawg. They drill our 4 5/8" hole no problem. If you have an issue with any of them in warranty just print out a prepaid FedEx label and within a week it's shipped back, either repaired or replaced. Really like how they make specialized tools for plumbing like the expansion tool and hole hawg, even drain cleaners and toilet augers for the glorified janitors.

eBay for really good deals on tool only. Also cpo outlet.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Picked up a 20v Dewalt combo pack at Lowes a couple weeks ago. Drill, impact driver, light , sawzall, two batteries and a charger for $250. Picked up a Dewalt 20v string trimmer at ACE hardware with 2 5ah batteries for $200. I can switch batteries between all the tools. Have the same set of tools at work that get used and abused daily for over 2 years now with no issues.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Picked up a 20v Dewalt combo pack at Lowes a couple weeks ago. Drill, impact driver, light , sawzall, two batteries and a charger for $250. Picked up a Dewalt 20v string trimmer at ACE hardware with 2 5ah batteries for $200. I can switch batteries between all the tools. Have the same set of tools at work that get used and abused daily for over 2 years now with no issues.
View Quote
How do you like the trimmer so far?  I have heard good reviews about it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#36]
i can't believe no one has suggested....

craftsman.

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#37]
I have been a Makita guy for years and years, and I am also going to be making the switch to Ridgid. You cannot beat their lifetime warranty.

I've had my hands on most major brands of cordless tools. All of the contractor grade stuff is going to run just fine for home use. You'll be able to pass them off to your kids (minus the batteries).

If you're fine with used tools from a pawn shop, go for it. But realize you will be replacing the batteries for ~$60-100 each, depending on manufacturer.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#38]
While I love cordless tools they have limitations. If you are going to be using it hard cords are a better option. 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#39]
M12 is more than adequate for the home owner.  Just because they make the M18, don't sell the M12 short.  I've got about 6-8'M12 tools and all are great.  I'd prefer to have more M12's than a few M18's.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#40]
I work in an industrial environment and Milwaukee is the only cordless stuff we have in the entire facility.
I don't even have corded tools in my toolbox anymore.

Even my Snap-on 1/2" air impact goes unused because the Milwaukee cordless impact is a beast.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
M12 is more than adequate for the home owner.  Just because they make the M18, don't sell the M12 short.  I've got about 6-8'M12 tools and all are great.  I'd prefer to have more M12's than a few M18's.
View Quote
Nice thing about the 18v charger is it also has a drop-in for 12v batteries.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Still have the majority of my fathers Milwaukee tools (from the late 70s to 80s), and they all still run like a champ. Allen key in the sawzall needs to be fixed, but besides that, no issues. He used them for work for a number of years. So when I set out to start updating my tools, I went red.

Have the M18 drill and impact driver. Both work awesome. Used the driver to drive 1 5/8 lags into some cribbing at the FD recently. Was extremely impressed with its power and battery life.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:51:56 AM EDT
[#43]
One drawer in my toolbox at work:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Around the house you will be fine with ryobi or rigid. Out of the 4-5 sets my guys have at different facilities I have only seen two tools fail. Someone smoked a ryobi recip saw that didn't understand how to correctly use one and a rigid 1/4" impact driver that was dropped from 6' once a week over a year.

HD should still have the ryobi sets on sale this week I believe.

I have switched from makita>Milwaukee m18 fuel for my work tools. Both work great, I only have 5.0 and 9.0 batteries so usually only have to recharge twice a week at most depending on the size of job(plumbing/electrical/fabrication/framing/hvac).
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:08:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
While I love cordless tools they have limitations. If you are going to be using it hard cords are a better option. 
View Quote
Maybe 5 years ago. The fuel sawzall, circular saw, and super hawg can keep up with 99% of job sites.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:16:20 AM EDT
[#47]
I've got a full set of Porter Cable 20v, and absolutely love them. I don't use them professionally, but I bet I use them far more than the average owner.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm still rocking a Dewalt 18v set. Hammer drill, impact, sawsall, and circular saw (rarely use, it sucks).  But for most of my drilling and screwing (impact) needs, I grab the 12v set. Smaller, lighter, gets the job done 80+% of the time.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#49]
We use DeWalt at work doing dirt work.   The tools are always in the rain and mud.   Have held up great.   Mainly see the other trades using DeWalt or Milwaukee on site.   I use DeWalt at the house and have been pleased.  If your not going to be doing a lot of projects or abusing them then Ryobi isn't a bad choice either.   My brother has been using Ryobi tools on his remodel and has been really happy with them. Like others have said look for sales.   I got a hundred off my first kit.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Ooops!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top