Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
A true classic, 940?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My recommendation is a $3000 car.
View Quote
The issue I have in Houston is a $3K car is pretty clapped out from what I have seen here.  There are tons of rip off stealerships hawking these low end cars to illegals and there are also tons of rebuilt titles around.  The reason to step up a little is to get above the cars I'm seeing in that range that are rebuilds and retreads from high interest dealers.

If I were living up north I'd go for a $3-4K car.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The issue I have in Houston is a $3K car is pretty clapped out from what I have seen here.  There are tons of rip off stealerships hawking these low end cars to illegals and there are also tons of rebuilt titles around.  The reason to step up a little is to get above the cars I'm seeing in that range that are rebuilds and retreads from high interest dealers.

If I were living up north I'd go for a $3-4K car.
View Quote
I think I've found your problem.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#4]
How about a convertible Camry?  Cool factor of a convertible, reliability of a Camry.  Cheap insurance rating. 
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:26:22 PM EDT
[#5]
He will wreck it at least once, so get a throw away.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I did ride a long with a cop buddy of mine last month.  One take away from him, "don't ever buy a former patrol car."  While they are maintained they are ridden hard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Used crown vic from a police auction. Cheap and can be repaired easily when, not if, he wrecks it. Besides, his friends won't think it's cool so they won't ride with him and be a distraction. Plus the cops will be watching him  because most of the bangers and wanna bes around here drive them. Guess they wanted to see what the view was like from the front seat!
I did ride a long with a cop buddy of mine last month.  One take away from him, "don't ever buy a former patrol car."  While they are maintained they are ridden hard.
I bought one at auction from my old department. Only paid $450. I'm using it to back and forth to work because it gets better gas mileage that the f250 got at a previous auction that was being used to run illegals.

My 16 yoa son is almost ready to get his license. I would rather have him in a big heavy slow truck his first vehicle. He can drive that one until he gets enough money to buy his own.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Thinking I will buy a $3000 car.  What ever it is worth in 6-12 mos if he maintains his grades, we will apply towards a car he pays half for and he pays insurance.  I did just come back from picking him up at work and saw a kid driving a Ford ranger with a Happy 18th birthday on the side.  That might be a solid 1st car as someone pointed out earlier, thanks!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#8]
My dad is selling a 2009 camry with under 70K for $6500.

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:50:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Used crown vic from a police auction. Cheap and can be repaired easily when, not if, he wrecks it. Besides, his friends won't think it's cool so they won't ride with him and be a distraction. Plus the cops will be watching him  because most of the bangers and wanna bes around here drive them. Guess they wanted to see what the view was like from the front seat!
While they are rode hard and put away wet, they are built to take it. Crown vics routinely go to 500k with the cab companies after the PD's sell them. I thought it would change with the new AWD Taurus's but lately I've been in a few with 200k+ that didn't scare me going 120+ mph.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:58:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:05:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Barrett...
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:14:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Good decision to give up on the BMW.

My teen has a 13 year old BMW 325i and the maintenance cost is a killer.

The only reason he even has the car is it was given to him.

So basically, I'd suggest avoiding a BMW unless it is free.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:16:09 AM EDT
[#13]
v8 mustang with nitrous set up
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:20:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Stay away from anything European. You seek a Nissan, Toyota or Honda. 2008 or older, under 150k. Or a domestic, Malibu, Impala, older focus, older fusion, nothing dodge jeep chrysler, or a v8 mustang of any year you can get as long as it wasn't raped. V8 mustangs are damn near bullet proof except when kids strap juice or modify them
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:25:39 AM EDT
[#15]
When I was 16 I bought a used Kawasaki H2 750 Triple.
With my own money that I saved up from a part time job, it was left over cash that I had from buying my Kawasaki 90 that I bought when I was 14 and sold it to buy the 750.
My Dad was horrified, even more so when he took the 750 around the block (and he used to race bikes).

One thing I am greatfull for is that Dad never stood in my way, although he was pissed about it he honoured the fact that I used my own money and made my own decisions on how to spend it.

A 16 year old will purchase his own vehicle/motorcycle/ moped/ skateboard/ or even a fucking play station if he is so motivated that that he knows that he has to do it himself.

Give that 16 year old any or all that is listed above and he will trash it and think nothing about where it came from and not in any way feel responsible for it.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:31:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Personally id look at a 4th gen toyota 4runner. Unless he's going to be doing heavy commuting/traveling once if he goes to college.

Its safe, reliable, 4x4, big enough to road trip/camp, large enough to use to move, have dogs, go offroading to go shooting/hunting. And its not a car!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:54:00 AM EDT
[#17]
You want to buy a 6K car and you are considering a luxury class car? Be prepared to pay luxury class repair bills.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:12:37 AM EDT
[#18]
My dad bought my little brother a 1965 Dodge Coronet with a 383.
It was a battle wagon.
He paid under $300 for it.
It lasted him through 2 years in high school and 2 years in community college.
He never had an accident with it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:41:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My dad bought my little brother a 1965 Dodge Coronet with a 383.
It was a battle wagon.
He paid under $300 for it.
It lasted him through 2 years in high school and 2 years in community college.
He never had an accident with it.
View Quote
A 383 Coronet in '64 is a rare bird.

My step mother had a '68 Coronet 440 and it had a 383 in it, my Lord that was a fast car.
Red on red with white interior trim .

Never understood why it was called a Coronet 440 when it had a 383 in it.
Non the less, that car would MOVE !!!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:39:21 AM EDT
[#20]
You're smoking crack on a used BMW.   Repairs will eat you alive

Mines getting a manual wrangler
I'm going to buy a shit one when he is around 11 years old.   And we will
Use it as a 4 year wrenching project and learning about life.   If he doesn't like it.   Wife and I will and he can call Uber

My father and I had 17 porsches and bmws between the 2 of us.    My son is not getting a car that can go over 90mph easy.  He will also have a manual.   He needs to learn
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:45:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm looking for a car or truck right now too. You still might want to keep a look out for a Crown Vic. I looked locally and I saw a nice variety. Some that were detective's cars or Administration cars or Coroner or Health Inspector and one assigned it's entire life to the district attorneys office.

Government owned does not always mean law enforcement and they are still well maintained. Most with enhancements like engine and transmission cooling units and enhanced breaks and engine air intakes and so on and so forth.  

But I want the one with Kevlar in the front doors and bullet proof/stab proof seats. But of course that one was a patrol car which excludes it from my list. 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:24:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Any recommendations for a car for a 16 yr old driver?  Looking for something <$6K with decent reliability and safety features.

So far I've been leaning towards an Acura TL 2004-2008.  He is pushing me to consider a BMW 328i, I'm hesitant to buy a german car with 100K miles but the aftermarket support is pretty good for it.

Any other recommendations?  Not really into most domestic cars. I see decent used cars in the $6-7K range but mostly clapped out trash at $5K and below.

Thoughts?

ETA title
View Quote

Truck!  Heck of a lot safer.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:33:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thinking I will buy a $3000 car.  What ever it is worth in 6-12 mos if he maintains his grades, we will apply towards a car he pays half for and he pays insurance.  I did just come back from picking him up at work and saw a kid driving a Ford ranger with a Happy 18th birthday on the side.  That might be a solid 1st car as someone pointed out earlier, thanks!
View Quote

That was me.  If you look at at Ford Ranger or Mazda B series pickup truck, stay away from the SOHC 4.0L V6.  If you ever have any timing issues on a SOHC 4.0L, it's easier to change the engine rather than fix the timing issue (the engine has to come out to fix it anyways).  Stick to the inline 4 cyl, and especially if it's a 5 speed.  Those are pretty much bulletproof.  There's a guy here at work that has a 1994 Ranger 2.3L 5 speed, and he drives it every day.  435K on the odo.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:35:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So when will he find the time to work 3 jobs on top of high school to pay for the insurance on a BMW? On top of the fact that statistically speaking he's going to wreck the damn thing within a year of owning it.

His expectations and reality do not meet. Unless of course you're footing that bill, OP. In which case, you're choosing poorly.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:41:05 AM EDT
[#25]
2004-06 4 door 4.8 tahoe, its slow as fuck ans safe as a  roll cage around a special egg.
Also plent of room for hos boom boomwhen he decides bass is cool.

Will also give room to get the stinky pinky in the back.
Cheap on purchas, mantenace and gas.

Win win.

Fook all those lil car crap things!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:42:53 AM EDT
[#26]
4 cylinder compact car for sure!! My first car was a Mazda Protégé, second car was a Mazda 3. Both were very reliable and good on gas. I would say look for a used Mazda 3 for $6K. You could also look at a Honda Civic or something else that is similar. But yeah Japanese cars, cheap to buy, cheap to fix, reliable, good on gas, perfect first cars.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:52:35 AM EDT
[#27]
My parents never bought me a car or any thing of the sort.
I was lucky to get food!
I had to work full time doing hard labor with a temp agency (construction) and saved to buy a 1000 dollar clunker.

now tell me why would you buy him a car?  ask  yourself that.

furthermore.,  16 years old?  You cant even buy a beer till you're 21 but you can be responsible for a 1 ton machine capable to run up 100+ mph .
makes no sense to me!!

my opinion since you asked:  I wouldnt buy him anything.    Nothing worse than a spoiled teenager being handed everything.  a BMW lol    (Funny)
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:57:45 AM EDT
[#28]
hail damage salvage get you a nice newer car for that much. ugly but mechanically sound.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:58:28 AM EDT
[#29]
This man knows what's up. 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:02:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Not sure why a BMW is even one of the choices.  This is a teaching experience.  You can teach your son that buying an expensive to repair car is a bad choice.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:04:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Lots of good choices in here. I would have loved a Jeep or  Vette  when I was in school. I did have a V8 Mustang II  hatch which was alright. Surprised nobody mentioned Subaru. They are reliable, capable and pretty cool if you get a hatchback. Find one with a nice body, freshen up the engine which is easy and then put the rest into upgraded brakes and suspension. Then you have a very safe, fun car, easy to park, good on gas and safe in any driving conditions. They come in manual also, like the two I own.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:05:16 AM EDT
[#32]
I let an actual audible laugh at "bmw."

Get the best Civic you can find for $6000.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#33]
My first car was a 2001 ford ranger with a 4 cylinder and manual transmission. It served me well in high school and only cost 5k 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:15:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My recommendation is to have him buy his own. Go to a public auction and get something for $800 or less.
View Quote
this.. they will have no respect for it if they do not pay for it
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#35]
I say this as a German car fan, NOT a BMW. Germans can build an engine so 100K+ miles wouldn't worry me from the engine standpoint but they however can not wire a car and little but expensive shit will go wrong with it.

I say a Jeep Cherokee Sport. I have had 2, a 1993 and a 1997 and they are great vehicles, easy and cheap to work on and the 4.0 motor is easy to work on and a very solid motor.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#36]
zero driving skills.
you want your kid to live...first element
gas mileage is not an issue..how much is life worth?
you need a box made of steel, with a full frame

Crown Vic with throttle shimmed
Chevy pickup full-size

Get something that will take a side impact. I've seen some fatalities in cars with airbags, that usually perform well in head-ons.
Usually something that gets the kid a little higher like a truck is better.

Glue, screw, bend whatever to keep the throttle from hitting the limits. No, the kid doesn't need to go over 75
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:25:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My parents never bought me a car or any thing of the sort.
I was lucky to get food!
I had to work full time doing hard labor with a temp agency (construction) and saved to buy a 1000 dollar clunker.

now tell me why would you buy him a car?  ask  yourself that.

furthermore.,  16 years old?  You cant even buy a beer till you're 21 but you can be responsible for a 1 ton machine capable to run up 100+ mph .
makes no sense to me!!

my opinion since you asked:  I wouldnt buy him anything.    Nothing worse than a spoiled teenager being handed everything.  a BMW lol    (Funny)
View Quote
How did you get to work without a car? OP is in Tejas, the probability that employment is outside of walking or bicycle distance is high, and the probability of public transit is low.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#38]
The 328i will be easy to work on with lots of aftermarket support.  That motor is pretty much bullet proof.  Cooling system issues are common but fairly cheap to repair/replace with upgraded components (plastic tank on radiator, water pump impeller).
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:28:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

He does want a truck but I'm buying my own at the end of summer and the trucks in the $6-7k range in TX are beat to hell.
View Quote
I have a 2010 F150 extended cab STX 2wd with the 4.6L that I would make you a hell of a deal on...Its in decent shape but has high miles, all highway...$4k

ETA; I saw your in Houston, im only a couple of hours south of you
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#40]
I bought a 2013 corolla with a 5 speed with 60k miles on it in march for $12,500 for myself. Im driving it for a year and a half then giving it to our son on his 16th birthday. Incredibly reliable, very safe, and unlike a similar honda, timing chain instead of a belt.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#41]
My insights:

Get a manual: Sure they may have had the gears all ground to shit but it will teach your kid how to drive stick shift; something which is rare in millennial these days and a good life skill. It will also make him pay more attention to what he is doing decreasing the likelihood of texting, eating, or crashing.

Get something reliable-ISH. He's 16, if his car breaks down so what? He's not a surgeon yet he's a kid. Get a car that is good enough to get him through his education plus a year. I had a perfectly functional car and never had to fix anything. I don't know shit about cars. A friend's mom bought him a car in high school that made it home from the dealer and shit the bed in his driveway. He spent all summer trying to figure out what was wrong on his pos car and spent many hours learning about how to fix and maintain vehicles. This is time that won't be spent playing video games, knocking up girls, or doing drugs. It'll suck at first but he will benefit from it and it will teach him to appreciate newer cars. My friend was able to use his newly gained knowledge to push his pos 200,000 miles after I thought it would have never made it and I feel confident he could fix most any normal car if he broke down somewhere.

Safety. Expect that your kid is going to get in an accident. Don't put him in anything you wouldn't want him to be in a major accident in. Heavier, higher, and crumple zones.

Cargo space. It will likely be used to move from dwellings at least twice in the upcoming years.

Spare seats are a +\-. If he has them the plus is he has the ability to haul others, added safety in crashes, if he is responsible he will be the one driving his friends everywhere, and extra storage. Downside is he may be the taxi for all of his friends which is just another distraction for a new driver.

I wouldn't worry too much about gas mileage.

I'd recommend an 2003 Lexus rx300. Plenty of after market parts and the cars will do an easy 300k if taken care of. Meets a lot of the criteria above.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:34:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Corolla S
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#43]
When I was eighteen my father bought me an eight year old Cutlass and a Chiltons, told me I could fix it, pay to have it fixed, or walk.  He also let it be known that he'd buy a case of beer for any of the county deputies who gave me a traffic ticket that I couldn't talk my way out of.  I got a whole lot of supervision as a new driver.

In the game that was my "upbringing", I didn't win too many hands.  But it was typical of the man, that when I did, he got more of a kick out of it that I did.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Nissan and they use timing chains so no replacement

Most cars are belts and require changing every 60-80k, so there goes another $600-900
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Old rusty pickup truck.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
v8 mustang with nitrous set up
View Quote
That was my first. The speeding tickets always kept me broke

Edit: get a 4runner!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#47]
I have a 2000 gmc 1500 with 235k miles.  I got the truck in high school with 14 miles and maintained it myself.  Wife made me get an extended cab because we have 3 kids now but I still drive it to work.  I have been saving it for someone's first car.  The clear coat is pealing off and the radio doesn't work and you can't have a good make out session in the cab because the seatbelt buckles won't let you lay down comfortably.  I will let it go for 2k if your interested or we might be able to make a better deal.  Im and I'll send you pictures of blueberry.  Haven't listed it for sale yet because I want it to go to a good home.  It's in McKinney if you are in north Texas.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Get him the 328i, because chicks.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#49]
My son just bought a 1 owner 2003 Pontiac aztek with only 70k miles.  Once we got the doggy odor out, he loves it.  Bought it for $1400, did some maintenance, it runs great.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#50]
I'll cut against the grain here and say used Hayabusa

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top