Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Posted: 5/25/2017 1:35:56 PM EDT
http://www.gallup.com/poll/210956/belief-creationist-view-humans-new-low.aspx

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

38% say God created man in present form, lowest in 35 years
Same percentage say humans evolved, but God guided the process
Less-educated Americans more likely to believe in creationism

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The percentage of U.S. adults who believe that God created humans in their present form at some time within the last 10,000 years or so -- the strict creationist view -- has reached a new low. Thirty-eight percent of U.S. adults now accept creationism, while 57% believe in some form of evolution -- either God-guided or not -- saying man developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life.

(Snip)

Higher education levels are associated with less support for creationism and higher levels of belief in the evolutionary explanation for human origins. Belief in creationism is 21% among those with postgraduate education versus 48% of those with no more than a high school diploma. Agreement with evolution without God's involvement is 31% among postgrads versus 12% among Americans with a high school education or less.

However, even among adults with a college degree or postgraduate education, more believe God had a role in evolution than say evolution occurred without God.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#1]
They must have hired Captain Obvious to write that poll.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#2]
shocker
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad to see our society at large turning away from religion.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Uh...no shit?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe in God, therefor I am dumber than atheists.

Did I get it right my intellectual superiors?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah man it's awesome to see moral degradation and degeneration
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
NOW, you're thinking with portals!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I guess OP should've put a trigger warning in the title for you.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
What moral degradation?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Religion does not result in good morals. Consequently, the absence of religion does not result in a lack of morality.

The Japanese are, by at large, a more upstanding and moral people than us in the West yet they are godless heathens.

On the other side of the coin, the theocracy of Saudi Arabia is a cesspit.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#11]
So, they're saying that people educated in an overwhelmingly liberal atheistic higher education system emerge as less likely to believe in some religious principles???

OMG!!!  So unexpected!!!!   Stop the presses!!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Religion does not result in good morals. Consequently, the absence of religion does not result in a lack of morality.

The Japanese are, by at large, a more upstanding and moral people than us in the West yet they are godless heathens.

View Quote
Morality is doing right, no matter what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right.

H.L. Mencken
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What moral degradation?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What moral degradation?
I think it's two guys holding hands while minding their own business.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't claim to be your intellectual superior, but no, you didn't get it right.  "Less educated" does not mean the same thing as "dumber."  And no one is saying anything about belief in God (or any god), the study dealt with belief in creationism.  Also, no one is saying that you are necessarily less educated (or dumber) than atheists as a whole. 

A bit touchy, aren't we?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Ive got two years education past masters degree, according to stupid surveys / MSM  opinions I didn't vote for Trump - wrong.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Morality is doing right, no matter what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right.

H.L. Mencken
View Quote
And so what is "right" is purely a judgement call made by Man?   Each man is his own highest moral authority?

So a serial killer has high morals, since he is only doing what he alone judges as "right"?

A pedophile is "moral" because he's doing what he thinks is "right"?

Or are you saying morality is a consensus of men  -- like whatever the people on Facebook decide?   And if they decide differently later today, then morality can change, perhaps on an hourly basis?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Yup no doubt.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#18]
So you mean to tell me Americans educated in colleges that are liberal breeding and indoctrination centers, are more likely to believe 'science'?

You don't say.

I bet they're more likely to believe in gun control too, when does ARFcom start faking over themselves for them with that issue?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good to see you have zero understanding of Japanese culture.  And yes, you are wrong.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

H.L. Mencken
View Quote
Moral relativism much?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:17:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's not. It is just converting to humanism and worships old rich white men called scientists.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I have no problem believing the Genesis story and agreeing that evolution is legitimate science. Because I believe in an all-powerful God. I have never understood the either/or crowd.

I am well educated. For the record.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Our country is safe and has been experiencing less and less violent crime for decades. Probably because of the decline of morals in our country.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ive got two years education past masters degree, according to stupid surveys / MSM  opinions I didn't vote for Trump - wrong.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure that there aren't any surveys that say that you didn't vote for Trump.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I love the qualifier "less/more educated".

Having a lot of bad education doesn't magically make it good.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Now the pagans can lather themselves in their intellectual prowess.  They are way smarter than the dopes who believe in a deity.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Good to see you have zero understanding of Japanese culture.  And yes, you are wrong.
View Quote
I would say I have quite a good understanding of their culture, from reading about their history and traveling over there.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I bet the liberal God hating college professors who brought us things like Antfa and idiots who want safe places and special rights for abnormals deemed oppressed had nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
As well as our society deteriorating right before our eyes.

Wonder if there is a correlation
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:22:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

And both are dumb as rocks compared to agnostics.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

H.L. Mencken
View Quote
Oh and how do you establish what is moral? You do realize in the Bible and I'd wager the Torah is text that says eventually we recognize good and evil as such because of him, right? I'll look for the scripture in a moment. I can't find it at the moment and my phones almost dead, perhaps someone else knows what I'm referencing. I'll check back when I'm home if no locate it and add the scripture.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:27:51 PM EDT
[#34]
So is it because we're dumb or does this confirm the liberal machine is alive and well in higher education?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Oh and how do you establish what is moral? You do realize in the Bible and I'd wager the Torah is text that says eventually we recognize good and evil as such because of him, right? I'll look for the scripture in a moment.
View Quote
Societies have determined right and wrong because sometimes it is pretty black and white. A la:

-Stealing someones stuff is wrong. You wouldn't want your stuff stolen, right? Let's agree not to steal.
-Killing people is wrong. You wouldn't want to be killed right? Let's punish those who kill others.
-To help our society continue, help other people out. Especially your parents and your kids will do the same thing.

You know, stuff like that.
You don't need a carpenter who lived 2000 years ago to help you determine what is right and wrong.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Look on the bright side -

If we're wrong - there is no consequence of believing the way we do following our inevitable death - nothing.

If we're right - the people poking fun at you burn for eternity.  

I'm a believer in a higher power - but I care not what others do.  To each their own.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#37]
The believers in creationism can always point to how far the God created man has progressed in just 6000 years.

Atheists, if they are to be believed, are just evolved apes.

I prefer to remain unaffiliated with either bunch.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Dupe-  about 2000 years ago in 1 Cor 1:

Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the [o]message preached to save those who believe. 22 For indeed Jews ask for [p]signs and Greeks search for wisdom; 23 but we preach [q]Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness, 24 but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

26 For [r]consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to [s]the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; 27 but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, 28 and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are, 29 so that no [t]man may boast before God. 30 But [u]by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption, 31 so that, just as it is written, “Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord.”
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I believe in God and I'm certain I'm smarter than any dopey atheist.  The science is settled.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#40]
2 degrees here, but I guess I'm the lesser educated.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Didn't say who commissioned the poll. Those polls don't pay themselves.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#42]
No shit. This just in: Those lacking in science education lack an understanding of science.

Though I'll add that I never took any bio classes in college, much of what I know about evolution I learned in high school, my Catholic high school.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Society is just choosing to worship something else; something created instead of the creator.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:00:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
It started when they let them homosexuals have their house flipping shows.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Are you saying that, if someone does not believe that God created humans as they exist today sometime in the last 10,000 years, that he/she is an atheist?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty much.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Now the pagans can lather themselves in their intellectual prowess.  They are way smarter than the dopes who believe in a deity.
View Quote
Yep. Too smart by half.

I envy their enlightenment.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:03:20 PM EDT
[#48]
"Less educated" can also mean "less indoctrinated."
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm not sure that's actually a decrease, the wording is a little more precise than I've seen in prior polls.

Still should put the "YEC is a tiny fringe minority" argument to bed though.

Genesis is a cool story about a comet that's been wildly misunderstood, but that doesn't really have any bearing on whether God exists, only whether what  some claim to know about Him is accurate.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:07:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
I fail to see how our society has improved morally turning away from religion. We live in an anything goes kind of world where the value of life is cheap.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top