Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chilis

View Quote
But baby back ribs!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a blast from the past. I haven't heard of a Burger Chef in 40 years. It used to be one of the 2 cruising spots in the berg I grew up in. That and the Dairy Queen. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Burger King. Every one I've been to in the last decade has been run down and grimey. And empty of customers. 
View Quote
They remodeled the one near me about a year ago. I don't understand how they can afford to even keep the lights on, let alone remodel.

There is a Burger King, Wendy's, and Taco Bell all in a row less than a mile away from me. The line is always wrapped around Wendy's and takes forever. Taco Bell always has a few cars in line. There is never anyone at Burger King. Only time I go there is when I'm in a hurry to grab something and don't want to sit in line.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Burger King. Every one I've been to in the last decade has been run down and grimey. And empty of customers. 
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't understand why White Castle is still around.  

Drunk college guys?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Red Robin, Wienerschnitzel, Taco Bell, Jack in the Box, Little Caesars, CiCi's Pizza, Shakey's, and Carl's Jr. come to mind. 
View Quote
I can agree with this list, although not necessarily in that order.

Add In n Out, too.

Easy, guys.  I was just kidding about the last one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm going to vote for KFC.  An 8 piece meal is like $25.  The supermarket across the street pressure fries their own chicken and sells an 8 piece meal for $10.  Average KFC per store revenue is like $800K - compared to something like $2.3M for Chick-fil-A.  I think their business model is focused 100% on keeping the doors of the US locations open long enough, eking out a sliver of profits, until they can saturate China with new stores, where chicken and labor is cheap and KFC is viewed as a premium brand.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:44:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Panda Express. Awful Chinese food.
View Quote
And it's not actually panda that they are serving.  False advertising, if you ask me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
+the hood
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Popeye's Chicken.
Terrible food, and small portions.
Never going back.
+the hood
Yeah, but you can always eat, get a pay day advance, buy liquor and pawn some shit in the same block.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
This, same with Wendy's.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Cracker Barrel after they fired Brad's wife
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I miss Sambo's. They had great real Kona coffee and the biggest hotcakes in the world...Denny, otoh, can merge with Chuck E. Ghetto and sink into the abyss...
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Wait for what?

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Panda Express: bland and flavorless, ?I don't get it as long as there are authentic Asian places, why bother with this shit?
Subway: Chicken contains 40% chicken and God knows what else
Taco Bell: garbage food, I'll take an authentic taco stand with a B health rating over this shit
Little Ceaser's: Horrid, must be for the cheese and cracker and ketchup crowd
Burger King: Even without their creepy commercials, after eating here I feel like I just jerked off in a sock
Long John Silvers: I'd rather beer batter a stick of butter and eat it than this swill
Applebee's: even the salads taste fake
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I absolutely do not understand the Applebee's hate on arf.
View Quote
YMMV?

The 2 close to me smell of bar mold and sewer.  The employees smell of cigarettes and bad choices.  Factor in mediocre food that tastes a smidge better than a TV dinner = I'll never go back.

Used to eat there a lot around 98 and 99 when I was single and it was close to my condo.  It was decent back then IMO, now it just sucks.  Way better meals to be had in my AO for less.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
And it's not actually panda that they are serving.  False advertising, if you ask me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Panda Express. Awful Chinese food.
It's...not?? 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#19]
A number of years ago the wife and I ate at an Appleby's, I think I ordered a steak, something about the meat wasn't right, and even after all these years, I still can't put my finger on it. I do know that every time I pass one or even think about eating there, thoughts of bad meat immediately kill that idea.

Driving on US30 in Warsaw Indiana the other day and passed a "dead" golden Corral, sign of things to come?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Cracker Barrel after they fired Brad's wife
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Chilli's or Fridays
View Quote
Got food poisoning at a Chili's in MI City In a couple years ago from the salad, haven't gone to any of them since then.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Red lobster
Olive garden
Whataburger
Applebees
Tgi Friday's

These places are so bland and uninteresting.  I think the only thing keeping red lobster afloat are their cheddar biscuits, and every time I have to go there they keep getting smaller.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I can't understand the hate for LJS and BK here. They're both pretty good to me. Admittedly, I get the chicken rather than the fish.

ETA: On topic, I wonder how Arby's is still open. The food is pretty good, but it's expensive for what it is and I don't know anyone who eats there.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ponderosa

Back in the 70's, it was a good place to eat but it turned to shit sometime in the late 80's.

There are very few places I flatly refuse to go but Ponderosa tops the list.
View Quote
There's one near me that I've eaten at. I can't say the food was terrible, certainly a step above Golden Corral, but more like Ryan's. The thing that kills it for me is the clientele you have to put up with. (On the scale of a Waffle House between eleven pm and six am...Get the picture?)
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I can't understand the hate for LJS and BK here. They're both pretty good to me. Admittedly, I get the chicken rather than the fish.

ETA: On topic, I wonder how Arby's is still open. The food is pretty good, but it's expensive for what it is and I don't know anyone who eats there.
View Quote

I get the chicken as well. It's been a long time since I had LJS.  I don't hate it, just never go there.

BK, well I avoid ONE BK on the south side of Chicago because I'd get sick without fail. BK is one of two fast food places that have veggie burgers so I'll get one for my wife from time to time.  The BK near my apartment is good, the BK near my parents, well good luck getting what you want or getting it hot.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ponderosa

Back in the 70's, it was a good place to eat but it turned to shit sometime in the late 80's.

There are very few places I flatly refuse to go but Ponderosa tops the list.
View Quote
There's one near me that I've eaten at. I can't say the food was terrible, certainly a step above Golden Corral, but more like Ryan's. The thing that kills it for me is the clientele you have to put up with. (On the scale of a Waffle House between eleven pm and six am...Get the picture?)
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Sorry to say but, they're long gone. I used to work at one way back in the late 70's.

Howard Johnson's - There's still one left in Lake George, NY, or so Wikipedia says.

A&W restaurants - I know there used to be one in L.G. and Middlebury, VT. but I haven't been around those parts for several years so I don't know if they're still there. According to the web site there's are still some around (I'm talking about the old fashioned drive up/car hop places).
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#28]
If i wrote down every restaurant in this thread and decided to stop going to all of them.... i'd have absolutely nowhere to go.

Which just goes to show that you can't please all the people all the time.

The reality is, that this is what happens when you have a franchise business model. Some franchisees work very hard to make their locations the best they can be, and it shows in the service and food quality.  Many others don't give a shit as long as it pays the bills.... and that also shows in the service and food quality.

There are a few exceptions that i've found, one being Chick-fil-a.  I have never been to a bad one.  Ever.  I've heard stories, so they obviously exist, but there's a reason why they haven't come up in 4+ pages of this thread.  Their business model obviously lends itself to only finding the right owners in the right locations.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Long John silver's. I  never see one with more than 2 cars in the parking lot.
View Quote
I live in SW Mich, lot's of 'em around here and in Northern Indiana. First time I ate at one was when I was taking basic down in ft. Knox in 1975. Just off post in Radcliff I think. We occasionally eat there, but grease and my stomach don't get along well much anymore.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:16:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Funny thing about Arby's.  I have never heard someone ever complain about the food quality, it's always the paying sit down restaurant prices for fast food quality meals.  (Very good quality, but fast food none the less)

It's one of the few places my son actually likes to eat, so we go there quite often.  I just grin and bear it.  Better he chose Arby's and Chik-fil-a as his favorites than McDonalds and Burger King.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#31]
The Applebees around here are pretty decent.  Some of the other franchise areas are not that great tho.  (I worked at an Applebees waaaay back in the day) 

My Pick would be:

TGI Fridays. 

Ruby Tuesday's is pretty hit or miss and overpriced.  

Garfield's 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Chain restaurants suck anyway. I eat at Mom & Pop's when I can. The very best steak I ever ate was at a back street Mom & Pop.
View Quote
And I've been to mom and pop places that I wouldn't feed the food to a dog.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Shoneys
View Quote
Back in the day before Cracker Barrel and Bob Evans got popular they used to have one of the best breakfast bars going, times change I guess. That title has been passed to Eatin Park, (you Pa people know what I mean)
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I get the chicken as well. It's been a long time since I had LJS.  I don't hate it, just never go there.

BK, well I avoid ONE BK on the south side of Chicago because I'd get sick without fail. BK is one of two fast food places that have veggie burgers so I'll get one for my wife from time to time.  The BK near my apartment is good, the BK near my parents, well good luck getting what you want or getting it hot.
View Quote
LJS isn't bad but it is expensive as fuck and so salty and greasy too much of it takes a literal toll on your body.  Last time I ate there I felt like I had a lead weight in my stomach all night and had a record high BP reading the following morning.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't understand why White Castle is still around.  

Drunk college guys?
View Quote
It's a cult thing.  Kind of like Colt fanboys.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Golden Corral
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
As long as there are old people, early bird specials, and New Balance white tennis shoes, there will always be a Shoneys!
View Quote
From my observations they've all jumped ship for Micky-D's, the one in my town is full of them in the morning. Gotta get a McGriddle and a sr. coffee!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Through the first page and haven't seen Arby's yet. That fake, plastic tasting faux roast beef has to be the worst crap in the fast food industry.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Bob Evans.

Last time I went in one the service absolutely sucked.
View Quote
We go there just about every weekend. We have "a girl". We ask for her if she doesn't see us first.

She knows what we drink and brings it to our table along with banana bread as we're being seated. She doesn't charge us for those. She knows all our usual meals and how we like them. She goes out of her way to make special salads, brownies, cookies, whatever we want. Never wait on drink refills and she brings to go drinks with the check without us asking.

She spoils us and we tip her accordingly. It will suck if/when she quits. She's pregnant so she'll be gone for awhile here in a few months. I hope she doesn't decide not to come back afterward.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#40]
These threads always deliver.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Red Lobster.

It over charges for simple seafood fair. You could buy a weeks worth at the grocery for the price of a meal. They redid the outside of the one near me but kept the same worn down dreary interior. A whole lot of places like this, Olive Garden, TGIFriday's just can't operate anymore with the competition. It won't be too long before McDonalds becomes the next Sears as far as what Ive read. A legacy company that can't manage to cope with the changing times. I do wish they'd bring back beef tallow fries, since animal fat is back in chic.

I have fond memories of Ponderosa's as my grandparents would take me there every so often. I'd end up getting the build your own sunday and eating bowls of whip cream and chocolate chips. My grandma would always eat exactly half of her steak and potatos and have them wrap it up for the dogs at home. I was sad when it closed and the place was converted into a Golden Corral.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Most of them. When I'm driving and hungry, I go to an HEB Plus. I can get a variety of food at grocery store prices and then sit at their tables and eat it while surfing Arfcom on their wifi. The exception is their sushi which is silly overpriced. If I go to Whole Foods, I can do all that while drinking a beer.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Long John Silvers.

Occasionally, they'll get it right. About a month ago, I got the beer-battered cod. It came out fast and was pretty good.

I went a week later and got a somewhat warm, slightly soggy rendition.

It's as if the employees wanted me to know how good it could be, just to make the disappointment that much bigger.
View Quote
I hear ya guy! Of course it goes without saying, chain restaurants are what they are. You find a place that does something great, you think, "Oh boy! I'm set." Then the second or third time you eat there they pull this kind of crap on you, happens to me all the time. The only thing you can count on is you pretty much know what you're going to get. When you're on the road like the wife and I are, and in a hurry you don't have time to check out the local places. However that being said, I've been badly "burned" by them as well. You pays yer money and you takes yer chances!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just a local observation, but I'm surprised so many McDonald's in my area have extended hours. They are virtually empty outside of breakfast hours.
View Quote
Ours is bumper to bumper all day. Small town too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Judging by the responses, none of you own a franchise.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Roy Rogers

I like BK and Applebees. All Day Brunch burger is fantastic
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The one here just got renovated.  It wasn't bad at all before, but now it looks like a high-end coffee shop inside.  Even has tables with power and USB ports.
View Quote
Same here BK and Arby's both went through major renovations.  Foods the same but looks are much improved
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How has no one posted Captain D's yet?
View Quote
This!  3 out of four are awful and filthy.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Ruth's Chris. Like holy shit how many poor people live in this city.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top