BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dishonerable discharge.  Possible courts marshal with serious jail time if there's proof of negligence and not just incompetence.

I heard of several stories about guys screwing up and their actions causing damage if not destruction of aircraft that ended them up spending most of if not all the rest of their lives at Leavenworth.
View Quote
Do you know how I know you've got no clue?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Dishonerable discharge.  Possible courts marshal with serious jail time if there's proof of negligence and not just incompetence.

I heard of several stories about guys screwing up and their actions causing damage if not destruction of aircraft that ended them up spending most of if not all the rest of their lives at Leavenworth.
View Quote
Don't take this the wrong way but nothing in this post is even remotely true.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Long time ago when I worked flight line on CH-53Ds, we had a guy that was somewhat careless. He made more than the usual mistakes. Everyone fucked shit up on occasion. If you didn't fuck anything up, you weren't doing your job. The key was to stop doing anything once you realized you were doing damage, and be honest in what you did.

He didn't get in any more trouble than an occasional "counseling" for his carelessness.

Well, until he drove an aircraft tug into a bird while driving it at full speed. Fucked the aircraft up good. So good that they deemed it not economical to repair. It was sent to the boneyard. The idea being that if there was a crises and CH-53Ds were needed to save democracy from the godless commies, they would repair this particular '53.

Well our hero was not court martialed. He was however NJP'd and lost a stripe and was farmed out to the station gym for the rest of his enlistment. I don't know if his proficiency and conduct ratings were good enough to allow him to re-enlist. But he wasn't interested in that option anyways.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Lose a couple of Hummers or fuck up an aircraft? Eh, someone might get get some paperwork in their file.
Lose the mirror on the Hummer when you drive to close to a tree limb? No biggie, it's a field loss.
Lose the Jesus pin while you're cleaning your rifle after an FTX? Jesus, Joseph, and Doggy Style Mary, it's your ass now.
View Quote
The Jesus Pin goes in a M2 .50 caliber machine gun.  I assume you are talking about the cam pin or maybe the cotter pin that retains the firing pin.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I got piss tested 3 times in one month one time, finally I fucking flipped out about it. I got pulled to the side and told that I get piss tested so often because they knew I was going to piss clean and they had to piss test x amount of people that month, they didn't want to do the paper work for a dirty piss test.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You fuck up, you move up. I saw multiple people piss hot one week only to be promoted the next.
I got piss tested 3 times in one month one time, finally I fucking flipped out about it. I got pulled to the side and told that I get piss tested so often because they knew I was going to piss clean and they had to piss test x amount of people that month, they didn't want to do the paper work for a dirty piss test.
Came down on damn near every piss test list at my last unit, which had its share of fuckups.  A few of the other boring, responsible guys did as well. Now you've got me wondering.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Exactly that happened in my Guard unit. "Random" piss tests that were supposed to randomly test 10% of the unit had me selected a LOT of the time, for the same reason.
How they handled the hot pissers depended on a  lot of different factors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly that happened in my Guard unit. "Random" piss tests that were supposed to randomly test 10% of the unit had me selected a LOT of the time, for the same reason.
How they handled the hot pissers depended on a  lot of different factors.
One of the Marines I work with has told this exact same story. I really didn't doubt it when he told us the first time, this just confirms it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

One of the Marines I work with has told this exact same story. I really didn't doubt it when he told us the first time, this just confirms it.
View Quote
Its random guys. Unless the CO suspects something.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The Jesus Pin goes in a M2 .50 caliber machine gun.  I assume you are talking about the cam pin or maybe the cotter pin that retains the firing pin.
View Quote
M-16 Extractor Pin. I always heard it called  Jesus Pin because when you drop it you go "Oh Jesus!"
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Promote especially if a minority.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I can't comment on destruction of vehicles but I can say that if you jettison a 240 at 500 feet, it will get pushed under the rug....
View Quote
I wore that bitch during air assaults. I had the sling cinched down and dummy corded all the parts to me. I wasn't going to be "that guy" that lost his weapon or some component "somewhere back there" and have the entire Co walking though the woods, swamps and rivers looking for the damn thing. I must have stressed out way too much over it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When I was stationed on a ship in Pearl Harbor, the ship next to us launched an exercise torpedo onto the pier.
Liberty was delayed for them while waiting for the Commodore to talk to their CO.
View Quote
What ship and when? That story sounds familiar. I was on a ship home-ported there '85-'88.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Send them to OCS.
View Quote
I was going to post that, or... make them a second lieutenant.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think you are wrong there.  Those who cannot make decisions don't last very long, it gets noticed and they get run off one way or another.  An incompetent careerist figures out how to not have to make decisions.  Slough it off on someone else, delegate it, cancel the need (exercise, training, etc) that would require a difficult decision.  That commander who will move heaven and earth to not have to approve any risk whatsoever?  That's him.  Taking no chances means you cannot ever have a bad mark on your OER.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol, well those humvees are probably the shittiest ones they could find in the unit. So def. not $500k in damage. Shit happens in heavy drop ops. And a team rigs them, not one guy. So more than one may have screwed up here.

But to your point, the idiots typically stay in as long as they can and are careerists. They're the bad leaders who are inept, can't make decisions, etc.
I think you are wrong there.  Those who cannot make decisions don't last very long, it gets noticed and they get run off one way or another.  An incompetent careerist figures out how to not have to make decisions.  Slough it off on someone else, delegate it, cancel the need (exercise, training, etc) that would require a difficult decision.  That commander who will move heaven and earth to not have to approve any risk whatsoever?  That's him.  Taking no chances means you cannot ever have a bad mark on your OER.
In an earlier time, there were duty stations where everyone got there by being a screwup.
Lump 'em all together and maybe they'll kill each other off!
Ft. Polk was reputedly one of those places. Another (in its last years) was the Presidio of San Francisco (not so during its heydey).
And I've been threatened with being sent to Johnson Island/atoll, the chemical warfare dump of the Pacific.

ETA the promotion to get rid of them also applied to DA civilian employees. Our boss called all us military outside for a chat, leaving the civilian employee in the office. He says to get rid of this person, he'll get them promoted out, but to do that, this person will get a commendation and cash award as often as is legal.
When the individual was promoted up and out, the new supervisor called cussing and screaming "you did this on purpose!"
The boss laughed so hard "not my problem anymore!"
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Did somebody post about the navy fighter pilot who shot down an Air Force jet during a training exercise yet? That guy became a flag officer
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When I was stationed on a ship in Pearl Harbor, the ship next to us launched an exercise torpedo onto the pier.
Liberty was delayed for them while waiting for the Commodore to talk to their CO.
View Quote
L Ron Hubbard the author and creator of scientology was a Navy officer of some type in charge of a battle ship. He shelled an empty island on accident twice and shot torpedos at logs that he thought were Japanese subs.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
The bar is pretty high to get a dishonorable, unless it was a weird case of intentional sabotage on a major scale that involved other circumstances, that is probably not going to happen. Dishonorable is typically reserved for very serious crimes like rape, murder, espionage, etc.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I wore that bitch during air assaults. I had the sling cinched down and dummy corded all the parts to me. I wasn't going to be "that guy" that lost his weapon or some component "somewhere back there" and have the entire Co walking though the woods, swamps and rivers looking for the damn thing. I must have stressed out way too much over it.
View Quote
Around Christmas 1986, some guy dropped a rifle through the trap door on a Blackhawk in Ft. Campbell.

The whole Division was enroute shoulder to shoulder to find it when a Pilot from Task Force 160 spotted it sticking out of the mud in a field.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#18]
While I was at Ft Lewis soldiers from another co in the Bn were road marching on a Saturday for punishment. They were on a paved road open to civilian traffic. A NG unit was shooting 155mm and the squad leader of the number 3 gun showed late and changed the defection and elevation of the gun. The first round landed on the pavement within 6 feet of the lead soldier. 2 were killed. the OIC, the sqd ldr and the safety officer were brought on active duty and court martialed.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Some of them go into politics.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Dont they become an Arizona Senator?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Overall idiots?  They promote them.  Seems as if the douchebags in leadership positions far outweighed the awesome leaders in my last unit.

I hear one of the E-3 pilots that was involved in the hard landing at Nellis (from about 8-9 years ago), which resulted in an aircraft loss, was sent to a UAV assignment.  The E-3 is valued at $330M and is an irreplaceable aircraft as the last one produced was in 1982 or 1983 if I remember my tail numbers correctly. ....
View Quote
How long has it been since Napoleon_Tannerite posted here?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Overall idiots?  They promote them.  Seems as if the douchebags in leadership positions far outweighed the awesome leaders in my last unit.

I hear one of the E-3 pilots that was involved in the hard landing at Nellis (from about 8-9 years ago), which resulted in an aircraft loss, was sent to a UAV assignment.  The E-3 is valued at $330M and is an irreplaceable aircraft as the last one produced was in 1982 or 1983 if I remember my tail numbers correctly. ....
N_T flew the E-8 JSTARS.

The only recent (and this was also about 8 years ago) JSTARS mishap that comes to mind was due to depot maintenance leaving debris in a fuel cell, causing inflight rupture of that tank.  No fault by the crew.  Don't remember if it was a JSTARS or not, but there was a hard landing in the weather (fog?) at At Udeid within this same time frame.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:17:57 PM EDT
[#23]
They make them field grade officers and stick them in brigade.

*coughMAJORJONEScough*
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I was going to say somebody has to peel all of those potatos but, the quantity of guys with dog tags saying promote them makes me sad.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Promote them
View Quote
FPNI

again
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:06:06 PM EDT
[#27]
They retire and get into contracting where they move up the ranks and become Shift Leads or CSS/GSS.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Promote them
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Promote them
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:53:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
While I was at Ft Lewis soldiers from another co in the Bn were road marching on a Saturday for punishment. They were on a paved road open to civilian traffic. A NG unit was shooting 155mm and the squad leader of the number 3 gun showed late and changed the defection and elevation of the gun. The first round landed on the pavement within 6 feet of the lead soldier. 2 were killed. the OIC, the sqd ldr and the safety officer were brought on active duty and court martialed.
View Quote
http://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/05/09/National-News-in-Brief/1524452923200/
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:06:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A little while ago someone posted a video of an airdrop where the parachute cabling failed and a number of HummVees fell out of the sky like rain.  $500,000 worth of damage, easy.  Here it is for those who didn't see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjF8ju7YeLI

Now imagine all that was caused by just one clueless guy in the army who screwed up because he didn't know what he was doing I.E. he used duct tape to tie rope ends together.  Or, imagine some idiot in the air force who didn't secure a bomb properly and it fell off the plane and caused a million dollar crater in the runway.  Or, imagine a Marine who drives a tank through an Osprey.  Or imagine someone in the Navy who accidentally launched a torpedo at a ship and it sinks.  Use your imagination on how much of an idiot an idiot can be and who could make a very expensive idiot mistake.  Nobody gets killed but a lot of damage is caused.

So what would the military do to him?  Making him do ten thousand pushups is inadequate punishment for a million dollar crater in a runway.  Would they fine him for the damage and dock his wages for the next thousand years?  Or would that be prison time? Or does this happen all the time and the authorities would just shrug and say "Ah well what can you do?"

Just wondering, since I am not MIL...
View Quote

I knew two people that landed on reserve chutes.  I was in a Cav unit so we didn't have too many airborne guys.  

Typically they get put in places they won't cause too much damage and on details that suck.  Some become LIFER's, (vs career military).
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:14:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Promote them
View Quote
/thread
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:13:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What do you mean when you say "line platoon"?
View Quote
heh
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:23:19 AM EDT
[#35]
The first post does indeed nail it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:28:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
heh
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you mean when you say "line platoon"?
heh
Good question.  For instance, I was in "line unit" (battalion), but my company (HHC) was mixed.  We had 19D and 11C's but I was a Bradley wrench that worked recovery.  My M88A1 was required to be 2 terrain features behind any shooting.  My ass, not so much.  I could see calling the Scout and Mortar platoons "line platoons", but I don't recall anyone ever calling them that.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:33:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Promote them..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Promote them..
Quoted:
They'll probly promote him...
Quoted:
Promote them
Quoted:
Send them to OCS.
And make Officers out of them.....

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:46:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:47:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
And make Officers out of them.....

View Quote
Hey now, let's not pretend shitbag NCOs don't exist.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Took me many years in before I figured out that all those dudes saying they did time for crashing a hmmvv or plane were actually locked up for international drug dealing, domestic homicide, etc.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Huh. What year was this.

ETA Nm Someone posted a link
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#42]
I remember what happened to the Ft Riley mortar crew that fired 120 degrees off the range fan and hit  the Manhattan Municipal airport.  (Didn't hurt anybody, just made it inside the perimeter fence)

The NCO was reduced one rank and they went on permanent trash truck detail.  They had to show the Bn Commander every evening how much trash they had picked up that day.  

If you want TRUE fuckups,  you need to talk to the Marine reserves. Those boys killed or maimed at least one guy every summer AT cycle.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Promote them
View Quote
'Tis true
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
One month pay.
View Quote
CQ...for fucking   EVER!!
Leaves after enlistment with the buffer rodeo expert, "v" device
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:15:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
... hopefully, Ft. Leavenworth
View Quote
lol...no
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I can't even tell you how many black SR NCO's I have met who had no idea what they were doing. I barely met any black people in the Army that weren't SR NCO's.
View Quote
lol,  this would be funnier..if it were not true
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Only 10 of these executions have taken place since 1951. The U.S. military carried out its last execution on April 13, 1961, with the hanging of Army Pvt. John A. Bennett, who was convicted in 1955 of the rape and attempted murder of an 11-year-old Austrian girl.Aug 6, 2013
View Quote
He is talking about the Republic of Korea, not U.S. I believe
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
I remember reading about that in the Summary of Mishaps from NAVSAFECEN.  Wasn't the only time it happened though.  A FFG did the same thing in Mayport as I recall.  That one landed on CCDG 12's car... a fun time was not had.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Go to a real unit.
View Quote
I'm retired now, so unless they pull me out of the retired reserve for Korean War 2 there are no « real units» in my future, whatever a real units is to you
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Its random guys. Unless the CO suspects something.
View Quote
Yep, no way I could single anyone out in the system. Just need to test 40% of the command 4 times a month (to avoid annual command sweeps)

UPC here
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top