That's what I was going to say!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Promote them to make them go away.

Or someone just has to suffer through dealing with them for 4 years until they go away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0id3WfiJrc
View Quote
When I was a Drill SGT I would have just beat him in the head with the mag.

Pain is a great way for fuckers to quit being stupid.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Especially if they are female, gay, minority, can't speak fluent English  and or transgender
View Quote
I can't even tell you how many black SR NCO's I have met who had no idea what they were doing. I barely met any black people in the Army that weren't SR NCO's.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You fuck up, you move up. I saw multiple people piss hot one week only to be promoted the next.
View Quote
I got piss tested 3 times in one month one time, finally I fucking flipped out about it. I got pulled to the side and told that I get piss tested so often because they knew I was going to piss clean and they had to piss test x amount of people that month, they didn't want to do the paper work for a dirty piss test.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Code Reds??
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A little while ago someone posted a video of an airdrop where the parachute cabling failed and a number of HummVees fell out of the sky like rain.  $500,000 worth of damage, easy.  Here it is for those who didn't see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjF8ju7YeLI

Now imagine all that was caused by just one clueless guy in the army who screwed up because he didn't know what he was doing I.E. he used duct tape to tie rope ends together.  Or, imagine some idiot in the air force who didn't secure a bomb properly and it fell off the plane and caused a million dollar crater in the runway.  Or, imagine a Marine who drives a tank through an Osprey.  Or imagine someone in the Navy who accidentally launched a torpedo at a ship and it sinks.  Use your imagination on how much of an idiot an idiot can be and who could make a very expensive idiot mistake.  Nobody gets killed but a lot of damage is caused.

So what would the military do to him?  Making him do ten thousand pushups is inadequate punishment for a million dollar crater in a runway.  Would they fine him for the damage and dock his wages for the next thousand years?  Or would that be prison time? Or does this happen all the time and the authorities would just shrug and say "Ah well what can you do?"

Just wondering, since I am not MIL...
View Quote
Join up and find out
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I got piss tested 3 times in one month one time, finally I fucking flipped out about it. I got pulled to the side and told that I get piss tested so often because they knew I was going to piss clean and they had to piss test x amount of people that month, they didn't want to do the paper work for a dirty piss test.
View Quote
Exactly that happened in my Guard unit. "Random" piss tests that were supposed to randomly test 10% of the unit had me selected a LOT of the time, for the same reason.
How they handled the hot pissers depended on a  lot of different factors.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I will let you know as my step daughter leaves in two weeks for the Navy. God how I wish I could see video of her getting yelled at for being stupid.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was in the Army and there was a female Sgt who was scared of the dark (to the point where one night I had to walk her from the TOC to her vehicle, and no, she wasn't worth the trouble). On top of all that she was a complete idiot. You'd think that a situation like that would make her incompatible with a service that emphasizes nighttime operations, so you'd think that that would get her booted, right? Wrong. They moved her out of the line platoon and made her a military police investigator. True story.
View Quote
Man that's nothing, I got stories for days.

My last Combat Life Saver class I took, an E-6 female type started screaming bloody murder the second before a needle touched her arm. She ran out of the class room crying, and a male E-3 chased her outside and hugged her and let her cry on his shoulder. I was like "is this real life?".

I wish I was just allowed to run out crying whenever I was asked to do training I didn't feel like doing.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#11]
He/she will get preference points on you if you go for the same .gov job.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dishonerable discharge.  Possible courts marshal with serious jail time if there's proof of negligence and not just incompetence.

I heard of several stories about guys screwing up and their actions causing damage if not destruction of aircraft that ended them up spending most of if not all the rest of their lives at Leavenworth.
View Quote
lol no
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I believe there was an SP about 10 years ago who ran his patrol car into a parked F-15 and actually jammed the car underneath the jet.
Florida, IIRC.

here it is:

SP vs. F-15
View Quote
Yup. That one was classic.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Most likely join the LEO community after military service.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#15]
They moved me from loader to driver...

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A little while ago someone posted a video of an airdrop where the parachute cabling failed and a number of HummVees fell out of the sky like rain.  $500,000 worth of damage, easy.  Here it is for those who didn't see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjF8ju7YeLI

Now imagine all that was caused by just one clueless guy in the army who screwed up because he didn't know what he was doing I.E. he used duct tape to tie rope ends together.  Or, imagine some idiot in the air force who didn't secure a bomb properly and it fell off the plane and caused a million dollar crater in the runway.  Or, imagine a Marine who drives a tank through an Osprey.  Or imagine someone in the Navy who accidentally launched a torpedo at a ship and it sinks.  Use your imagination on how much of an idiot an idiot can be and who could make a very expensive idiot mistake.  Nobody gets killed but a lot of damage is caused.

So what would the military do to him?  Making him do ten thousand pushups is inadequate punishment for a million dollar crater in a runway.  Would they fine him for the damage and dock his wages for the next thousand years?  Or would that be prison time? Or does this happen all the time and the authorities would just shrug and say "Ah well what can you do?"

Just wondering, since I am not MIL...
View Quote

Theres no easy answer to this question as the UCMJ is not equal to civilian laws. In instances of someone merely being unintelligent and damaging something basic, at most a Report of Survey and possible reimbursement to the Gov't. As someone already noted, in the case of the SP crashing into an A/C... Much more severe. At a bare minimium you could expect an Article 15 (which features various punishments at the Commanders discretion) all the way up to Court Martial. An Article 15 (NJP/Captains Mast) is a noncriminal proceeding, they are offered to the service member as a solution to what is often a disciplinary issue.

Court Martials come in 3 levels of "severity", Summary, Special, and General. Each level features it's own specific punishments that are generally commensurate with the type of Court Martial.

A Summary Court Martial would be an SP pissing hot (seen that one a couple times).
A Special I've never seen and I'm not familiar enough to explain where it fits in.
A General Court Martial would be used for the worst offenses, something incredibly negligent. I'll use your Humvee video as an example.

Lets say the military completes their investigation and the load master is found to be at fault. His training is up to date, he's had his transgender awareness brief and he's completed his Green Dot training BUT it's found he was drunk on duty when he set the Humvee pallets up. Because he was drunk, he didn't follow his T.O. and pencil whipped the inspections after task completion. He would be a prime candidate for a GCM.

The most common thing for idiots is to simply be denied reenlistment and to go on their way after a hopefully satisfactory completion of enlistment.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Join up and find out.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My last Combat Life Saver class I took, an E-6 female type started screaming bloody murder the second before a needle touched her arm. She ran out of the class room crying, and a male E-3 chased her outside and hugged her and let her cry on his shoulder. I was like "is this real life?".

I wish I was just allowed to run out crying whenever I was asked to do training I didn't feel like doing.
View Quote
Hell... I just might try that tomorrow at work!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:54:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
You got to tell the story of the chicks pissing in the truck.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#21]
It depends on what kind of idiot.

The "I break stuff" kind or the "I have a great idea" kind?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So did the E-3 score with the E-6?
View Quote
Honestly I have no idea, but him and a different E-5 female left deployment together a couple, she was in a relationship with some poor dude stateside before we left.

I don't think they stayed together though because she died of cancer recently and he wasn't in any of her funeral pictures.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Overall idiots?  They promote them.  Seems as if the douchebags in leadership positions far outweighed the awesome leaders in my last unit.

I hear one of the E-3 pilots that was involved in the hard landing at Nellis (from about 8-9 years ago), which resulted in an aircraft loss, was sent to a UAV assignment.  The E-3 is valued at $330M and is an irreplaceable aircraft as the last one produced was in 1982 or 1983 if I remember my tail numbers correctly.  Don't remember what happened to the other pilot.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#24]
When I was stationed on a ship in Pearl Harbor, the ship next to us launched an exercise torpedo onto the pier.
Liberty was delayed for them while waiting for the Commodore to talk to their CO.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
When I was stationed on a ship in Pearl Harbor, the ship next to us launched an exercise torpedo onto the pier.
Liberty was delayed for them while waiting for the Commodore to talk to their CO.
View Quote
Dam is that fucked up. LOL!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#26]
My father used to tell me some stories about when he was in ROK Army in 1960's.  Back then the military service in Korea was brutal and no slack was given as they were mostly being prepared to go fight in Vietnam. He said military tribunals frequently gave out capital punishment for serious cases.  There was a guy in grenade training who f-up and cause severe injury to three men and he was tried and executed within just few weeks.  Another one he was aware of was a case of one soldier who went AWOL just before they were shipped out to Vietnam.  He was caught and executed.  My father was a squad leader at the time and one of his men lost a entrenching tool during a march and he was told to go back out with his men and not to come back without the lost tool.  It was in the winter and there was a lot of snow on the ground so it was hard to find anything.  My father said they looked for two days before they found it and came back.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Idiots get "Promote ahead of peers" on their evals and strong bullets for their good ideas.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#28]
How about a plane ?
"We really saw what it didn't do," Sensing said. "The aircraft should have gained altitude, but it did not. Then, the aircraft went out of sight and the next thing we saw was a ball of fire."

Malfunction Cited

"There was a malfunction," Irving said. "Where the malfunction was, or what caused it, I really couldn't speculate. Something just went wrong."

The plane's tail section was nearly three-fourths of a mile from where the tank was dropped on the runway. Debris was scattered down the runway, with the plane's tailgate only a few hundred feet from the tank.

Witnesses said the tank appeared to hang on the edge of the tailgate as the plane skimmed five feet above the runway. Authorities estimated it was traveling about 150 m.p.h."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqPDe-nZK6w

http://articles.latimes.com/1987-07-02/news/mn-1886_1_cargo-plane
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Dishonerable discharge.  Possible courts marshal with serious jail time if there's proof of negligence and not just incompetence.

I heard of several stories about guys screwing up and their actions causing damage if not destruction of aircraft that ended them up spending most of if not all the rest of their lives at Leavenworth.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted: snip... what do they do to idiots in the military... snip...
View Quote

They somehow keep getting promoted.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#31]
FPNI
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I was in the Army and there was a female Sgt who was scared of the dark (to the point where one night I had to walk her from the TOC to her vehicle, and no, she wasn't worth the trouble). On top of all that she was a complete idiot. You'd think that a situation like that would make her incompatible with a service that emphasizes nighttime operations, so you'd think that that would get her booted, right? Wrong. They moved her out of the line platoon and made her a military police investigator. True story.
View Quote
That's because "she"
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Exactly that happened in my Guard unit. "Random" piss tests that were supposed to randomly test 10% of the unit had me selected a LOT of the time, for the same reason.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go to a real unit.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
FPNI
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Promote them
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Promote them
View Quote
If this was not the first post, I would  have lost faith in the hive.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#37]
How it should work: For major screws-ups after a pattern of a few minor incidents (which should be documented) they should get NJP/Mast/Articles and then eventually discharged for Unsuitability or sometimes they will cut straight to the unsuitability discharge in lieu of disciplinary action. 

Seen it a few times, an example is I remember a guy 15+ years ago, had trouble getting qual'd on the ship, made stupid mistake after mistake and then one day while in port he managed to pump the black water tanks overboard, a huge dark cloud enveloped the ship in the crystal clear water of the port we were in at the time. That was the final straw, he was discharged for unsuitability shortly after that with a general if I remember right.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My father used to tell me some stories about when he was in ROK Army in 1960's.  Back then the military service in Korea was brutal and no slack was given as they were mostly being prepared to go fight in Vietnam. He said military tribunals frequently gave out capital punishment for serious cases.  There was a guy in grenade training who f-up and cause severe injury to three men and he was tried and executed within just few weeks.  Another one he was aware of was a case of one soldier who went AWOL just before they were shipped out to Vietnam.  He was caught and executed.  My father was a squad leader at the time and one of his men lost a entrenching tool during a march and he was told to go back out with his men and not to come back without the lost tool.  It was in the winter and there was a lot of snow on the ground so it was hard to find anything.  My father said they looked for two days before they found it and came back.
View Quote
Only 10 of these executions have taken place since 1951. The U.S. military carried out its last execution on April 13, 1961, with the hanging of Army Pvt. John A. Bennett, who was convicted in 1955 of the rape and attempted murder of an 11-year-old Austrian girl.Aug 6, 2013
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Do an aileron roll on takeoff and youll never fly again. Plant an aircraft in the ground because of stupidity and a FNAEB and probably fly again. Poor maintenance? Lose quals for a bit.

IOW, intent matters.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Look them square in the eye and say "you are hereby promoted to the grade/rank indicated".
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Send them to OCS.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Promote them
View Quote
This. I worked with an 8 year female Army vet who did electronics work. She couldn't follow a simple fucking wiring diagram for an uplink and threw a tantrum when no one would take it from her. And I really do mean simple; if I gave it to an 11 year-old PC building kid who knew nothing about the equipment he probably would've had it together inside 20 minutes just using basic logic and the diagram. She also took up smoking to get more breaks.

Military as a social club shit that's being pushed by the left for years seems to be working as intended.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Promote ahead of peers.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#45]
It depends on what was fucked up and who ended up looking bad but here is a general guideline

Private snuffy will get chaptered out.

An NCO will either get promoted or barred from reenlistment and/or put somewhere they can't fuck up too much shit.

A commissioned officer pretty much has to be caught red handed actively  fucking a football by multiple people for any official action to be taken.

ETA: we had an E-4 that was allowed to try out for the LRS platoon solely because he was an annoying shithead. There was also a PFC that became the company radioman simply because his PT scores sucked and didn't improve after a year.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#46]
When I was in the Marine Corps and someone fucked up real bad, they got sent to a rifle platoon. Then a few months later they were off to Viet Nam.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Buffalo Soldiers-Tank scene (HD Quality)
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Only 10 of these executions have taken place since 1951. The U.S. military carried out its last execution on April 13, 1961, with the hanging of Army Pvt. John A. Bennett, who was convicted in 1955 of the rape and attempted murder of an 11-year-old Austrian girl.Aug 6, 2013
View Quote
Yobo was writing about the Korean military, not the U.S. military.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#49]
We were always told if you damage a plane, you'd be promoted to general until it was paid off.  But the government kept all the money.  I suspect it was not true.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
... hopefully, Ft. Leavenworth
View Quote

For willful acts of sabotage or damage sure, not for accidents.
Some people get in over their heads, and shit does happen.

The Saratoga incident was a tragic series of errors and miscommunication, misperception.  
But it wasn't criminal;.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top