Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Where is that peak oil thread?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Making squeaky voices is a matter of the utmost national security.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now is a great time to sell. Prices are going down.

I'm more worried about them selling off the Strategic Hydrogen Reserve.
Do we really have one of those?  We have a Strategic Helium Reserve, I think.
I raffed.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trumpbots never cease to amaze me. Liquid helium is used to make all sorts of electronics. It is a vital strategic material.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is the perfect time for it, on account of how crude oil costs next to fucking nothing right now.

No, wait, not "perfect", the other thing-- yeah, retarded, it's a retarded time to sell the reserve.

Why couldn't these clown-town motherfuckers sell off some of the reserve when gas was four fifty a fucking gallon?
View Quote
We couldn't replace it quickly at that time.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Nobody clearly studied WWII and why the reserve is so important .

I'd rather have the oil in reserve. It's like a first aid kit or a ccdw.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Trumpbots never cease to amaze me. Liquid helium is used to make all sorts of electronics. It is a vital strategic material.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Squeaky voices are how we communicate without the Russians being able to use voice recognition to track us.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not a good idea.
View Quote

It's been done before but always replenished.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#8]
While there is a semi-glut on the oil market in this country, the pipelines are full, and Cushing, OK has miles and miles of storage batteries full of crude...IMHO that doesn't mean we should sell our emergency supplies. 

The working capacity at Cushing is amazing. Enbridge Energy alone has  a maximum storage capacity of 20,060,000 barrels, and there are numerous operators with storage compounds there.There is approximately 85 million barrels of crude oil storage tanks around Cushing.

It's an amazing thing to see, (especially if you're in the oil business), the miles and miles of huge storage tanks full of primarily West Texas Intermediate. The downside is...it could be erased pretty quickly as it's all above ground storage. 

The difference between Cushing and the Strategic Petroleum Reserves is one is a series of underground secured facilities close to refineries. If the SHTF, having the petroleum reserves to run our military might come in really handy. 

And, no, you can't ramp up production rapidly enough to negate the importance of having these reserves sitting there ready for use. We might be able to pump it...but we don't have the pipeline capacity to gather it all up.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nobody clearly studied WWII and why the reserve is so important .

I'd rather have the oil in reserve. It's like a first aid kit or a ccdw.
View Quote
And one of the biggest issues we face today with the SPR is that its not close enough to refineries that can be released onto the markets.

Its a 4M/day problem when what we need is a 20M/day solution.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is going to fuck the oil market really hard.

But, the idea of a couple of large stockpiles makes me wince.

It would be better if there was more dispersement of the actual reserves in the form of required capacity at the individual refineries. (This was brought up a while ago)

Having the 60+ US based refineries add an equivalent amount of storage locally and then cut back the amount held at the SPR locations.
This would help both time-to-market (SPR can only shed 4M barrels a day anyhow) and reduce dependance on spot order fulfilling.
View Quote
It would also mitigate the risk of catastrophic loss of the reserve due to some kind of attack or event.   I'm sure it's well secured but 60 smaller reserves would be harder to take out.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is going to fuck the oil market really hard.

But, the idea of a couple of large stockpiles makes me wince.

It would be better if there was more dispersement of the actual reserves in the form of required capacity at the individual refineries. (This was brought up a while ago)

Having the 60+ US based refineries add an equivalent amount of storage locally and then cut back the amount held at the SPR locations.
This would help both time-to-market (SPR can only shed 4M barrels a day anyhow) and reduce dependance on spot order fulfilling.
View Quote
More like 100+
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#12]

It's hot as hell down here.

Yeah man, but it's a dry heat!

It looks like some kind of secretions.  

Yeah, but secreted by what?

Nobody touch nothin'!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Just popped over to the USGS sight on the North Dakota Bakken formation for their estimates on reserves...

How much oil and gas are actually in the Bakken Formation?

The USGS estimates that there may be 4.4 to 11.4 billion barrels of undiscovered, technically recoverable oil in the Bakken Formation (with a mean estimate of 7.4 billion barrels). These are estimates of oil that has yet to be found, but if found, could be produced using currently available technology and industry practices. Estimates are based on an assessment of the geologic data.

An additional 6.7 trillion cubic feet of associated/dissolved natural gas and 0.53 billion barrels of natural gas have been estimated. These are mean values for undiscovered volumes.

Approximately 450 million barrels of oil were produced from the Bakken and Three Forks Formations between 2008 and 2013.

Add in the Shale plays in Oklahoma and Texas...  we have all the reserve we need.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I thought they were just underground tanks
View Quote
Salt domes....and nearby to refining facilities. 

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
While there is a semi-glut on the oil market in this country, the pipelines are full, and Cushing, OK has miles and miles of storage batteries full of crude...IMHO that doesn't mean we should sell our emergency supplies. 

The working capacity at Cushing is amazing. Enbridge Energy alone has  a maximum storage capacity of 20,060,000 barrels, and there are numerous operators with storage compounds there.There is approximately 85 million barrels of crude oil storage tanks around Cushing.

It's an amazing thing to see, (especially if you're in the oil business), the miles and miles of huge storage tanks full of primarily West Texas Intermediate. The downside is...it could be erased pretty quickly as it's all above ground storage. 
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c0/Enbridge_tank_farm%2C_Cushing_Oklahoma.jpg/1280px-Enbridge_tank_farm%2C_Cushing_Oklahoma.jpg
http://www.livemint.com/rf/Image-621x414/LiveMint/Period1/2015/04/01/Photos/[email protected]

The difference between Cushing and the Strategic Petroleum Reserves is one is a series of underground secured facilities. If the SHTF, having the petroleum reserves to run our military might come in really handy. 

And, no, you can't ramp up production rapidly enough to negate the importance of having these reserves sitting there ready for use. We might be able to pump it...but we don't have the pipeline capacity to gather it all up.  
View Quote
I'm only about 20 minutes away and go by there pretty often. They've been continually expanding and even bought the houses and property from a couple people I know as they were getting tight on space.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:05:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Building a few more refineries would be a smarter move.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is the perfect time for it, on account of how crude oil costs next to fucking nothing right now.

No, wait, not "perfect", the other thing-- yeah, retarded, it's a retarded time to sell the reserve.

Why couldn't these clown-town motherfuckers sell off some of the reserve when gas was four fifty a fucking gallon?
View Quote
Obummer did, but it was a political decision to attempt to drive down gas prices so he would be reelected... Worked with MSM help...

Link: https://www.energy.gov/fe/services/petroleum-reserves/strategic-petroleum-reserve/releasing-oil-spr

Fwiw, average cost per bbl in the reserve is $29.70
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I would half expect to find a room full of weird alien eggs at the end of that tunnel.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c0/Enbridge_tank_farm%2C_Cushing_Oklahoma.jpg/1280px-Enbridge_tank_farm%2C_Cushing_Oklahoma.jpg
http://www.livemint.com/rf/Image-621x414/LiveMint/Period1/2015/04/01/Photos/[email protected]

The difference between Cushing and the Strategic Petroleum Reserves is one is a series of underground secured facilities close to refineries. If the SHTF, having the petroleum reserves to run our military might come in really handy. 

View Quote
looks like a great target for a nuke, if things ever come to that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:10:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just popped over to the USGS sight on the North Dakota Bakken formation for their estimates on reserves...

How much oil and gas are actually in the Bakken Formation?

The USGS estimates that there may be 4.4 to 11.4 billion barrels of undiscovered, technically recoverable oil in the Bakken Formation (with a mean estimate of 7.4 billion barrels). These are estimates of oil that has yet to be found, but if found, could be produced using currently available technology and industry practices. Estimates are based on an assessment of the geologic data.

An additional 6.7 trillion cubic feet of associated/dissolved natural gas and 0.53 billion barrels of natural gas have been estimated. These are mean values for undiscovered volumes.

Approximately 450 million barrels of oil were produced from the Bakken and Three Forks Formations between 2008 and 2013.

Add in the Shale plays in Oklahoma and Texas...  we have all the reserve we need.
View Quote
There is a metric buttload of difference between have reserves in the ground in ND, hundreds of miles from the refineries, and having stored reserves nearby those refining facilities. 

You can produce all you want but if you don't have the pipeline capacity to get it hundreds of miles to the refineries...it's basically a moot point. 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
@pcsutton
Where does the ExxonMobil pipeline from Baton Rouge go?  I did not know it existed and have been in the industry for 15 years. 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@pcsutton
Where does the ExxonMobil pipeline from Baton Rouge go?  I did not know it existed and have been in the industry for 15 years. 
View Quote
I'm guessing it heads towards Cushing. I don't really know. 

ETA: Cushing is the 'holy-holy' of crude oil. Most production in the country goes through Cushing. Natural Gas goes through Henry Hub, south of Lafayette. It's the 'holy-holy' of natural gas, but it's not nearly as impressive as Cushing. 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Are you super serious all the time or just on the Internet?
View Quote
Helium is most definitely a matter of national security.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#24]
This seems like a big smack in the face to OPEC.  Add a little more to the market to drop the price just a little more after they asked us to lower our oil production.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Iran fires one silkworm missile and that 90 day reserve becomes 75 while prices triple. This is a move that belies a complete failure to grasp the nature and purpose of a strategic reserve.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#26]
It's also useful to have storage capacity available. If OPEC tries to flood the market again and is succeeding, spare storage capacity allows the government to function as a buyer of last resort and preserve an industry critical to national defense
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you super serious all the time or just on the Internet?
I didn't realize making a joke on a message board compromised national security.

Should I wait for the Feds to come pick me up or just go turn myself in?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Bad idea.

Next thing you know people will be getting down to a 90 round zombie reserve because ammo is cheap and plentiful at the moment.
View Quote
I have about 4-6 mags worth of ammo unless I'm stocking up for a class.  IRL I've never used more than a mag before the festivities ended.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

lol, I do.
View Quote
That stores oil, right? Since it's all oil, right?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have about 4-6 mags worth of ammo unless I'm stocking up for a class.  IRL I've never used more than a mag before the festivities ended.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bad idea.

Next thing you know people will be getting down to a 90 round zombie reserve because ammo is cheap and plentiful at the moment.
Do you just not shoot except at paid classes?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:17:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We have plenty of oil already underground that hasn't been tapped.

Sell what's already been stored at a higher margin vs extracting what's still in the ground at a higher cost.

Not a bad move.  The US is sitting on plenty of crude.
View Quote
A margin argument doesn't apply. The us government isn't in the oil business. If anything the revenue will be offset in less tax paid in because less oil will be pumped from the ground.

Or maybe we should empty out ft Knox too since it's costing so much to store and secure the gold there.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Type of crude and location. My understanding is many US refineries are setup for heavy crude and much of what we produce is light crude. Also getting domestic oil to East and West coast refineries is tricky.

(Anyone with direct knowledge feel free to correct me)
View Quote
I used to work for Ultramar Oil, Long Beach CA; even though I was not directly involved in the marketing end of petroleum products, one of the most expensive aspects is getting the crude to the right place at the right time. The expense is so great that the oil companies would actually trade whole shiploads or pipeline loads of refined product that is already near each other, thus saving the cost of transportation. I would often see regular invoices for trades among Chevron, Exxon etc.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Bad move
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Do you just not shoot except at paid classes?
View Quote
Not much point to shooting when I always hit what I need to when I need to in the time I need to. Of course, if I had saved my money instead of shooting a lot when I was younger, I could afford a downpayment on a house.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:24:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Has anyone here actually been in the SPR caverns?  They must be ginormous.
View Quote
You can't really "go in them". They are salt caverns that were hydraulically formed. Think of a big tube full of oil floating on top of brine and that's essentially what they are.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
My father gutted some old salt mines in La. in the late 70s south of New Iberia.  He said with a mine lamp you couldn't see the ceiling .  A 90 ft boom on a crane was used to scale loose material.  

He said he had a buggy he would ride around on and he never saw all of it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This seems like a big smack in the face to OPEC.  Add a little more to the market to drop the price just a little more after they asked us to lower our oil production.
View Quote
Especially when The President is OVER THERE right now talking with those people!!!
Timing is excellent.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yeah, that's a fucking stupid idea.
View Quote
Why sell when prices are low?? Very stupid
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Why sit on it when we have an absurd amount of proven reserves plus technology that has no par in recovering those reserves?

Seriously. I get "money in the bank" and "oh shit" cases. But with the number of capped Wells across the united States... Less debt seems like a smarter move.
View Quote
If Obama had sold it to fund his pet projects would you still be in agreement on this?  If not, then you can't say it is a good idea.  It turns the strategic reserves into a partisan political pawn, to be raided by whoever is in charge.  Is that how you want strategic resources treated?  If Trump does it then the next Democrat will do the same thing.  

Strategic resources should not be used for partisan purposes.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:32:19 PM EDT
[#40]
I see the Oil Patch Kids are all upset....Must be a good move as they tend to be the most selfish peeps on the site when it comes to that type of thing.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't like it. Mulvaney KILLED it today during the budget briefing, but this idea made me scratch my head.

Trump was elected as a "populist jobs president" and the price of crude is teetering enough as it is. All it will take is OPEC deciding to unsheathe the oil weapon again to snuff out thousands of new jobs.

I would imagine that should we actually NEED the SPR because of an emergency, it would be exponentially more expensive to ramp up transport to fill the reserve while also servicing the production boom the price increase would create.

I am 100% biased, but $50-60/bbl oil is a sweet spot for the nation. It keeps plenty of good paying jobs in tact and keeps fuel prices at reasonable levels.

Dicking with oil prices is going to fuck up tax revenues and cause increases in demand for welfare programs.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I see the Oil Patch Kids are all upset....Must be a good move as they tend to be the most selfish peeps on the site when it comes to that type of thing.
View Quote
Watching your 15+ year career go up in smoke on a political whim, along with the ripple effects of watching towns hundreds of miles away from the oil rigs suffer from reduced economic activity usually gets people riled up.

$110/bbl was ludicrous, even WE bitched about fuel prices.... 50-60 is a nice sweet spot for everyone involved up and down stream.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't think actual barrels are stored there.  Sounds like the salt caverns are flushed out and the oil is pumped down?

Dept of Energy: SPR Storage Sites
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, I do.
holy shit, I thought you were joking.

Yeah, in case you're not aware of this, ....oil is stored in the Earth.  ...for free.  We pull it out of this natural "storage", refine, and use it.  Pulling it out of "free" storage, and moving into "expensive" storage is silly.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Watching your 15+ year career go up in smoke on a political whim, along with the ripple effects of watching towns hundreds of miles away from the oil rigs suffer from reduced economic activity usually gets people riled up.

$110/bbl was ludicrous, even WE bitched about fuel prices.... 50-60 is a nice sweet spot for everyone involved up and down stream.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+100
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
The government mucking about with the market is never a good thing for anyone.

The strategic reserve of anything should be held or disposed for strategic reasons.   Not for economic ones.   The price of any particular good or service is none of the government's business.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I don't agree with that spr should be maintained, especially while crude prices are low.
View Quote
First Post Nails It...

Fill it All The Way up with USA Oil when prices are low...

When "disruptions hit the Middle East..  We ride the storm out
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Say goodbye to low gas prices....
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

looks like a great target for a nuke, if things ever come to that.
View Quote
No less than the refineries themselves are.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:51:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
holy shit, I thought you were joking.

Yeah, in case you're not aware of this, ....oil is stored in the Earth.  ...for free.  We pull it out of this natural "storage", refine, and use it.  Pulling it out of "free" storage, and moving into "expensive" storage is silly.  
View Quote
There are those pesky variables like production times, transportation times/capacity, and cost. 

The benefit for having strategic petroleum reserves is multi-faceted. It's tangible and readily available to refineries are the biggest benefits. 

People seem to believe that getting oil out of an oil well is as simple as flipping a switch. That ain't the case. Additionally, once you produce/pump it out of the ground, whatcha gonna do with it? There is only so much pipeline capacity. Finally, where you gonna send it until the refineries can process it? 

I don't know about y'all, but it makes sense to me to have a ready supply that's already been pumped out of the ground, sent through the pipelines, and stored next to the refineries ready to be processed.
It's already endured all of the pitfalls of getting oil from the wellhead to the refinery which can be a months long endeavor.  
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top