BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You would be right if you look to many holy books.

If you look to science for what constitutes well-being for people. You would find slavery to be fairly low.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would like to own a plantation and sip mint juleps while slaves toil in the field to pay for my lavish lifestyle.  Prove me wrong science.  
You would be right if you look to many holy books.

If you look to science for what constitutes well-being for people. You would find slavery to be fairly low.
So why am I caring about the well-being of people?  I know I care about myself and mint juleps. Why should I care about others?  What does science have to say about that?  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So why am I caring about the well-being of people?  I know I care about myself and mint juleps. Why should I care about others?  What does science have to say about that?  
View Quote
We're social animals.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

We're social animals.
View Quote
So were the Romans.  They had slaves.  As did every civilization prior to about 1800.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Thats really funny.
No.  I mean in practice. not the lunatic rantings of a guy who has never left the bosom of western christian civilization.

I mean, you might as well show a Youtube video of John Lennon singing Imagine.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So were the Romans.  They had slaves.  As did every civilization prior to about 1800.
View Quote
As do many civilizations today.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

As do many civilizations today.
View Quote
And the DNC.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#7]
So a self-hating Jewish person who is an ultra-lib has the answers?

He's got Bill Maher on his trustees and advisory board for his Project Reason. The former head of The Secular Coalition of America was Edwina Rogers

Patient Centered Primary Care Collaborative

She served as the founding Executive Director of the Patient-Centered Primary Care Collaborative from 2006-2011, a Washington DC trade association, responsible for the national Patient Centered Medical Home movement and implementing the model around the US. She was a supporter of The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), commonly called the Affordable Care Act (ACA) or, colloquially, Obamacare.

Seems like a solid dude. Started down his "path" after experimenting with MDMA. One of his folks wrote the Golden Girls.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thats really funny.
No.  I mean in practice. not the lunatic rantings of a guy who has never left the bosom of western christian civilization.

I mean, you might as well show a Youtube video of John Lennon singing Imagine.
View Quote
Western Christian civilization, is that when we burned witches, killed/tortured people for apostasy, kept slaves?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Everything good thing I have is due to God blessing me although I don't deserve any of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Everything good thing I have is due to God blessing me although I don't deserve any of it.
Seems to me you're kinda shitting on God's gifts to you. After all, if God exists, and has in fact bestowed said blessings on you, then clearly he thought you deserved it. Why are you contradicting God?

The problem you and others have is with God.
Not true. The problem I have is with the claim that God exists, even though no proof, or even verifiable evidence, is ever presented to substantiate the claim.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Western Christian civilization, is that when we burned witches, killed/tortured people for apostasy, kept slaves?
View Quote
Name that paradise where those things did not happen.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
k.

We're social animals and are forced to be together. Having slaves wasn't good for human flourishing/well-being (especially for the slaves). It's a moral landscape.

Once you grant that the worst possible misery for everybody forever is bad, it easily goes from there.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Today, where we've largely been reasoning our way about morality due to Enlightenment thinking. Greeks were doing similar things (Xenophanes, etc.).

People actually have to think.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

k.

We're social animals and are forced to be together. Having slaves wasn't good for human flourishing (especially for the slaves). It's a moral landscape.
View Quote
The Roman state lasted for almost 2000 years (509 BC to 1453 AD).  They had slaves, and lots of them.  Western Civilization only gave up our slaves 200 years ago or less, and we are currently on the brink of collapse.  All those migrants the elite are importing?  Back in the day they would have been productive slaves, not voting for gibs me dat.  Clearly, abandoning slavery is the downfall of our civilization.  We should immediately re-adopt slavery.  Yay science.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Today, where we've largely been reasoning our way about morality due to Enlightenment thinking. Greeks were doing similar things (Xenophanes, etc.).

People actually have to think.
View Quote
So it's o.k. to kick out the foundation which built our civilization?  And just hold and pray that our values don't change?  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Soviet Union.
Revolutionary France
Cuba
North Korea
China

All founded in reason and scientific morality.

Its easy if you try.

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Jesus also says "only the father knows", which kinda goes against the whole trinity thing (unless God has multiple personalities).
View Quote
Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness..."
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Its so simple my 7yr old figured it out right after figuring out santa was BS.  Im so proud of that kid!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:36:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Roman state lasted for almost 2000 years (509 BC to 1453 AD).  They had slaves, and lots of them.  Western Civilization only gave up our slaves 200 years ago or less, and we are currently on the brink of collapse.  All those migrants the elite are importing?  Back in the day they would have been productive slaves, not voting for gibs me dat.  Clearly, abandoning slavery is the downfall of our civilization.  We should immediately re-adapt slavery.  Yay science.  
View Quote
That's some post hoc ergo proctor hoc s--- right there. You actually have to show causation, not just correlation. I personally blame the lack of powdered wigs.

Why are we on the brink of collapse? Is it because of the other more backwards Abrahamic faith?

Also, even if there was a economic advantage, that doesn't say anything of the morality of the thing itself.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So it's o.k. to kick out the foundation which built our civilization?  And just hold and pray that our values don't change?  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw6XHcVd1Y0
View Quote
What foundation? We've largely been on a foundation of Greek and Roman thought, not Dark Ages and theocratic slave-owning thought. Our civilization was based on a move away from religion. Protestantism broke up Christian Shariah and then splintered into a gazillion pieces. What most people like about our civilization is based on the Enlightenment and reasoned thinking, not Dark-Age "burn the witch" thought.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's some post hoc ergo proctor hoc s--- right there. You actually have to show causation, not just correlation. I personally blame the lack of powdered wigs.

Why are we on the brink of collapse? Is it because of the other more backwards Abrahamic faith?

Also, even if there was a economic advantage, that doesn't say anything of the morality of the thing itself.
View Quote
Wait, are you suggesting that science requires objective, repeatable, verifiable experiments to reach a conclusion?  I wholeheartedly agree.  That's why science cannot answer moral questions like why slavery is wrong.  You can't put people in labs.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What foundation? We've largely been on a foundation of Greek and Roman thought, not Dark Ages and theocratic slave-owning thought. Our civilization was based on a move away from religion. Protestantism broke up Christian Shariah and then splintered into a gazillion pieces. What most people like about our civilization is based on the Enlightenment and reasoned thinking, not Dark-Age "burn the witch" thought.
View Quote
You're seriously going to attempt to deny the role of Christianity in the development of Western Civilization?  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Its so simple my 7yr old figured it out right after figuring out santa was BS.  Im so proud of that kid!
View Quote
I was a little slower than your kid. I came to the same conclusion after finding out at age 8 that Santa wasn't real.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wait, are you suggesting that science requires objective, repeatable, verifiable experiments to reach a conclusion?  I wholeheartedly agree.  That's why science cannot answer moral questions like why slavery is wrong.  You can't put people in labs.  
View Quote
Science can and will continue to tell more about what constitutes human flourishing and well-being. You can very much put people in labs (see neuroscience, etc.). Once you grant that the worst possible misery for everybody forever is bad, it's not that far from saying slavery is wrong.

Why/How do you think people came to the conclusion slavery is morally wrong?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You're seriously going to attempt to deny the role of Christianity in the development of Western Civilization?  
View Quote
Oh, it was there. Now, how much weight are you giving it? Like it or not, Enlightenment/"moderate" thought has been dragging religion into modernity since the Dark Ages.

The Greeks and Romans already had similar morality to what was around at the time. It's not like they didn't know that murder or stealing was bad. Though they did have slaves, etc. It took Christians until the 1700/1800s to start figuring out slavery was bad. There's not one time you point to and grasp onto, people actually have to think. It's a moral landscape.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Why does He bother with us at all?
He could have easily destroyed every single atom of His creation and started over with perfect beings and no Satan to foul it up.
Christ the creator God loves His creation as does God the Father and God the Holy Spirit.
They love the unloveable and want us back in the fold which is why Christ died for us...to restore us to the Father and Himself...
A finite mind programed by sin cannot reason it out...anymore than an amoeba could explain the theory of relativity....in the fact the amoeba would be more likely.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:06:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why does He bother with us at all?
He could have easily destroyed every single atom of His creation and started over with perfect beings and no Satan to foul it up.
View Quote
Which begs the question, if God is perfect, why didn't he create perfect beings in the first place?

And if God actually is omniscient, why did he create Satan, knowing that Satan would foul it up?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Science can and will continue to tell more about what constitutes human flourishing and well-being. You can very much put people in labs (see neuroscience, etc.). Once you grant that the worst possible misery for everybody forever is bad, it's not that far from saying slavery is wrong.

Why/How do you think people came to the conclusion slavery is morally wrong?
View Quote
Why should I grant that?  You're the one proclaiming that you have the scientific answer to that question.  Show your proof.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Mercy is letting billions of people suffer forever?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I beg to differ.  He is merciful, full of grace, kind, and loving.

Satan is your enemy, not God.

It seems Satan has blinded you to the truth. That's what he does.
Mercy is letting billions of people suffer forever?
No, that's justice; and how do you know it's billions?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Why do all the atheists flock to these threads about God? It's like ya'll are more obsessed about him than believers.

Also, why do the atheists feel like they can answer questions on the nature of something that they believe doesn't even exist?

OP: "Why does God allow it?"
What the atheist's answer should be: "I don't believe in God so I can offer ZERO relevant insight into this discussion."
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Why do all the atheists flock to these threads about God? It's like ya'll are more obsessed about him than believers.

Also, why do the atheists feel like they can answer questions on the nature of something that they believe doesn't even exist?

What the atheist's answer should be: "I don't believe in God so I can offer ZERO relevant insight into this discussion."
View Quote
Partly because BR76 posts these religious-troll threads in GD, instead of the echo chamber/safe space that the Faithful have to themselves. Partly because "iron sharpens iron" as it says in your holy book, and lastly, because a lively debate can be a lot of fun, as long as the participants aren't nasty about it. Rustled jimmies are how both sides are able to test their positions, something more than a few of the Faithful are unable to do without colossal butt-hurt.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Truth.

You win the internet!!

And, for the people that do believe, they also believe the answer to these questions will be answered when they meet their maker.

Why would they let some arbitrary reasoning from a NON BELIEVER get their panties in a wad?

ETA: I have always held the opinion that if a so called Christian or believer of any faith or religion lets a nonbeliever get under their skin and causes them to question their faith then they were not true to their faith to begin with.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Could it be that God does not give a shit?

Here he has this whole creation thing to deal with and peeps are all put out that he doesn't care about their particular ills.

Simply put, God has bigger fish to fry.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Atheists understand God and Religion the way Chuck Schumer understands guns.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Or this could be a simpler explanation.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#35]
lol, I like it!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Partly because BR76 posts these religious-troll threads in GD, instead of the echo chamber/safe space that the Faithful have to themselves. Partly because "iron sharpens iron" as it says in your holy book, and lastly, because a lively debate can be a lot of fun, as long as the participants aren't nasty about it. Rustled jimmies are how both sides are able to test their positions, something more than a few of the Faithful are unable to do without colossal butt-hurt.
View Quote
That's a good answer. I never thought of GD as a practice field for apologetics, but what better place to debate? No matter the outcome my faith won't be decreased just as we're probably not going to make believers out of anyone in a forum. I guess folks that get butt-hurt are on the fence themselves...?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Truth.

You win the internet!!

And, for the people that do believe, they also believe the answer to these questions will be answered when they meet their maker.

Why would they let some arbitrary reasoning from a NON BELIEVER get their panties in a wad?

ETA: I have always held the opinion that if a so called Christian or believer of any faith or religion lets a nonbeliever get under their skin and causes them to question their faith then they were not true to their faith to begin with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth.

You win the internet!!

I think it's healthy to doubt early on and have your faith challenged. Doubt forces questions and if the right questions are asked, some are motivated to search harder for an answer and their faith is increased in the process. I hope that that's the response of folks on the fence that stumble into this thread.

You're absolutely right about us not having all the answers until we die. Even if I'm totally stumped by an non believer's response, that's ok because where my answer's end is where my faith begins. I just have faith it'll all make sense one day.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I don't believe in a personal God, so I'm not troubled by such questions.
View Quote
your own personal Jesus? Some to be there, some one who will care?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Seems to me you're kinda shitting on God's gifts to you. After all, if God exists, and has in fact bestowed said blessings on you, then clearly he thought you deserved it. Why are you contradicting God?

Not true. The problem I have is with the claim that God exists, even though no proof, or even verifiable evidence, is ever presented to substantiate the claim.
View Quote
Have you ever given your kid something when you knew they didn't deserve it just because you love them, faults and all?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That's a good answer. I never thought of GD as a practice field for apologetics, but what better place to debate? No matter the outcome my faith won't be decreased just as we're probably not going to make believers out of anyone in a forum. I guess folks that get butt-hurt are on the fence themselves...?
View Quote
You would be surprised. I have had Christian members contact me about these threads. One in particular who wanted to know how to be saved. I hope he was.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#43]
The better question is, what should God do to stop it?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or the zealots, on either side.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yep.  And like Chuck, they can never shut their mouths about the subject.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Atheists understand God and Religion the way Chuck Schumer understands guns.
Yep.  And like Chuck, they can never shut their mouths about the subject.
Uh huh. Because nobody who understands it could possibly reject it, right?

Keep in mind, it's your belief that God doesn't want everyone to believe. It's not our fault it all seems like nonsense to us.

If you need a safe space, go to the religion forum.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I have never said a word about needing a safe space.

And I normally do not post in the Religion Forum as the rules require posters to respect all religious beliefs and I most certainly do not do that.

I don't mind you disagreeing with me, as long as you don't mind me disagreeing with you.
View Quote
Nah...you're generally one of the good ones in these, even if we disagree.

I'd still shoot the ever living hell out of some guns with ya, given the chance, regardless of religious opinions
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top