Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/30/2017 10:48:36 AM EDT
Only gross about $50K a year.
In the past, I've always tried to put $100 - $400 a week in savings, and minimum into a 401K.
A month or so ago, I started putting 20% into the 401K, and I still try and put $100 - $200 in the bank per week depending on how much I have due in bills.
I still have day to day spending money of course.
Anyway, just wonder if my sacrificing today is really going to help much in several years.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Good on you! You're saving far more than the average person.
How young are you?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I think your doing great, but make sure not to miss out on youth.

I'm at 10% a yr 401k, pension thru company that I paid for during first 10yrs, and if SOS exists when I retire.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#4]
You will thank yourself later.

Don't think of that money as being gone. Think of it as being put to work for you.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Was talking about this with a young apprentice and was trying to encourage him to save more now. Conversation was interrupted to perform service at a run down mobile home for an old man living off of social security, who was living within his means, but that which would be considered living in squalor to many of us.

So we perform the service and leave. My apprentice then picks back up on our prior conversation by asking if it'll really make any difference to his future by saving and investing as much as I had suggested...

To which my response was: When you're about 65 do you want to live in the type of financial conditions that we just experienced at that last call, or do you want a new Mercedes and to help your grandkids pay for college?

He smiled a big grin, and it was at that point he understood.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Time is your best friend when it comes to investments, so early money is the best money.  Keep on keeping on as long as it is not pinching you too hard month to month.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:06:56 AM EDT
[#7]
When you approach retirement where do you want to be on the chart?

Just make sure funds to take care of emergencies, periods of unemployment, etc., aren't tied up in your retirement pot.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Great job!  Not many have the self-discipline to save and invest like you.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep it up if that leaves enough to handle life.  Do not tie up money for unusual, surprise, or emergency expenses in a 401k or other device that imposes withdrawal penalties.
View Quote
This.  A good rule of thumb is to keep between three and six months of income liquid in savings for emergencies.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Great job!  Not many have the self-discipline to save and invest like you.

This.  A good rule of thumb is to keep between three and six months of income liquid in savings for emergencies.
View Quote
Personally, I'd rather have about $1000 for immediate emergencies, and put the rest of my savings into a brokerage account where it'll make money. It's relatively easy to access it, even if not immediately. I used to keep $15k-$20k in my credit union for emergencies, and it would sit there and draw diddly dick. No thanks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#10]
It will especially the younger you are. If you save and invest several hundred dollars a month from mid 20s until 60 you will be a millionaire.

My wife and I Put 25% of our income in a 401k and try to keep 6 mo worth of savings set aside in a checking account while saving up to pay cash for big expenses like cars , household repairs/improvements and vacations.

I know it feels weird but you are doing it the right way. Everyone else lives pay check to pay check and uses debt to finance instant gratification. But they will have to retire on social security and reversed mortgage their home to barely survive in retirement but you will be able to actually be free and enjoy your retirement.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#11]
save until you're poor.... i haven't taken a raise in years, it all immediately goes to investments, I haven't allowed my life-style to drift (too much) as my income has increased.  Still live a great life, but if you never see it, you won't miss it.   I'll be glad I did in another 20 years
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:35:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Not a mistake...  Keep it up. It sucks now.  But in twenty years, when others are still broke and you have a seven figure balance, it's very very good.  It's what I did.  Zero regrets.  None
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#13]
im gonna be the odd man out and say its all good until you work hard your whole life and save all you can to eventually live a easier life then find out you have a terminal illness and have 1 yr to live.its happened to 2 people ive known over the years...life is backwards really,it seems you should live your life while young and work when your older..as long as your obligations are satified..tommorow is not promised...but i am not a smart man only a keen observer
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Saving for investing later is good.  It's one of the basic tenets of The Richest Man in Babylon.

Modernly though, what is the difference between money and currency?

Look up MF Global and PFG Best and see what went wrong there and why.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#15]
In the "Or More" Category..

Took me 25 years to get there
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#16]
It adds up, already have an extra 25 grand put away on my 401k after just a few years. With compounding and leaving it alone, I hope to have a few hundred grand by the time I retire. Just watch out for fees. 2 percent might seem insignificant, but 2 percent of 100k is two grand that could be compounding. Shop around. My current fund is .5 percent/year in fees.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#17]
you can never save enough or contribute to retirement enough.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#18]
The age old question, how much is enough.

The problem everyone runs into is how do you fight inflation.

Sure everyone in GD will say but this index fund or that etf.  

But what do you do if you would have retired in 2000 or 2007.

See how that sucks.

It's ok markowitz heals all wounds with enough time, just enjoy your cat food supper while waiting.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyway, just wonder if my sacrificing today is really going to help much in several years.
View Quote

Its a great idea, BUT make sure you don't tie up all your money in something that's not very liquid or has huge penalties for withdraw
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Consumption today versus "easy street" later in life is a personal choice but:

1.  Time value of money and compounding:  one can never start too early nor save "too much" (as long as other basic needs are being met).

2.  One can always save early in life and then change one's mind and do whatever with the $; the reverse is not true:  if one waits too long to start saving there just isn't enough time (nor the ability due to contribution limits) to get caught up.

I managed to build a sizable (even by ARCOM standards!) portfolio on relatively meager military pay simply by saving as much as I could, as early as I could.

Example:  don't ask me why but when they started IRAs in 1974, I started putting my lawn mowing/landscaping $ into one.

I left $10K or so alone in that account (S&P500 never touched it) and that alone is worth just shy of ½ a mil (thanks Trump Bump).
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#21]
13% 401K, maxed out on Roth IRA and 529 savings.

Yeah, I can't afford to eat out and I drive a $1500 car. Yet still money left to buy guns.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Keep it up, my wife and me did the same thing, put 2 kids through college with no student loans, both retired at 58, and enjoying every minute of it
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/3ea920ccaf2126137b77490513b1fc618287ed51/c=0-3-580-439&r=x408&c=540x405/local/-/media/2016/05/02/USATODAY/USATODAY/635977984347524047-MF-graph-article-2.png

Just make sure funds to take care of emergencies, periods of unemployment, etc., aren't tied up in your retirement pot.
View Quote
If this stupid fvck blue collar twice divorced schmuck can retire in the last 9% and have zero debt, ANYONE can do it. And I mean ANYONE.

One thing you have to do though is NEVER touch your retirement funds for ANYTHING short of death or truly dying. Not for your parents, not for your kids [education and the like] not for your best friends sob story, it is off limits for all the above. The second you touch it, you are screwed financially tax wise and it no longer becomes ''untouchable'' in your mind.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#24]
been doing 15% for years.   got one more kid to get thru college then i can bump that number up.

i live quite a frugal life and i prob look like a homeless person.   don't care.   it's nice having money put away and my daughters never go without.

most of my stuff is older (cars, stereo, snowmobiles, etc).    i hardly ever buy new stuff.

i say keep paying yourself.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:32:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Cool humblebrag OP.  I'd say you're overdoing and should quit now. 
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#26]
No, the .gov will need your money in the years to come. Good luck with your treasury bill purchases.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#27]
OP I'm in the same boat. It's hard to keep saving and thinking about the future when all your friends have new cars and you are still driving the same 26 year old vehicle.

Just keep telling yourself when you are hunting and fishing everyday at 50 and they are swimming in debt it was all worth it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#28]
As long as your savings aren't in a normal account getting 0% interest, you are doing a GREAT thing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

See how that sucks.

It's ok markowitz heals all wounds with enough time, just enjoy your cat food supper while waiting.
View Quote
There are sites like firecalc.com that show you the success rate had you retired at any time in market history. If your plan gives you a 100% success rate, then you could have withstood any market downturn in recent memory.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/3ea920ccaf2126137b77490513b1fc618287ed51/c=0-3-580-439&r=x408&c=540x405/local/-/media/2016/05/02/USATODAY/USATODAY/635977984347524047-MF-graph-article-2.png

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Savings account? The bank is using your money to make money in return you get beans. Is whatever % they're offering even enough to hedge against inflation?

Savings accounts haven't been viable for a long time now IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In the past, I've always tried to put $100 - $400 a week in savings, and minimum into a 401K.
A month or so ago, I started putting 20% into the 401K, and I still try and put $100 - $200 in the bank per week depending on how much I have due in bills.
View Quote

There's quite a few articles out there that break down savings rates and retirement  timelines. For example, saving 50% of your pay, will allow you to retire in 17 years with a 4 % withdraw rate. Money moustache blog has an article that breaks down savings percentages vs timelines, check it out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#33]
You're doing the right thing. The truth is, you should have fun, but live below your means if you intend to enjoy freedom later in life. My wife and I are high wage earners with professional careers (top 2 percent of the national average in earnings) and have made a conscious effort to max out retirements funds and to invest in the market to the extent of our comfort level. Ilunlole our contemporaries, we live in an older ranch-style home on a 20 year mortgage (accelerated to 18.5 years) with monthly payments of less than a nice 2-bedroom apartment in our urban area. Our biggest expense is the kids' private school, which is where our vacation money currently goes. Back to topic - compound earnings on your saving efforts will pay you back in spades. Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint. If you feel you need to have something tangible to invest in, consider land or precious metals but with the knowledge that market forces are largely out of your control.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#34]
It's all fine and dandy until the government decides they are going to rape the retirement funds to ensure everything is fair.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#35]
FWIW, few people understand what a mid life divorce does to their retirement unless it happens to them.

No lube and beans and rice unless you get real lucky or are in a high enough income percentile that it won't affect you much.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Keep it up, my wife and me did the same thing, put 2 kids through college with no student loans, both retired at 58, and enjoying every minute of it
View Quote
There is the reason for saving, at some point you can have the rest of your life to yourself.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

yes it will help, but make sure to get yourself something once a year.  Either a nice vacation or a nice toy (whatever you're interested in).  Working hard and making money isn't worth it if you don't spend it on yourself every once in a while
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#38]
How old are you?

I have heard Clark Howard say that if you put $2000 per year in the market for 6 years starting in your early 20s it grows to a million at 65 without any further contribution.

Assuming past stock market performance continues.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#39]
I find it better to over-save and have the option to buy what I want, when I want than to spend it now and try and save later.

If you want to take a vacation, withdraw some from your savings. To me it's better than taking a vacation right away and trying to save after.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
There are sites like firecalc.com that show you the success rate had you retired at any time in market history. If your plan gives you a 100% success rate, then you could have withstood any market downturn in recent memory.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See how that sucks.

I have software so powerful I know with in a certain standard deviation what's going to happen in the next 6 months given macro economic variables, i.e. major currency crisis, geo politcal crisis, bio logical crisis etc.

The point stands......I have seen grown men cry telling me their story about how they were retired, listened to "their Advisor" and then had to go back to work when their shit blew up.....their dream was gone within months.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's all fine and dandy until the government decides they are going to rape the retirement funds to ensure everything is fair.
View Quote
This is what really worries me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Save 20-25% and live within your means. Live life but remember the goal is to live well when you are older. It most definitely pays off. That's why you see old guys in really cool Corvettes!
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:24:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Ask some old people if they wish they'd saved less or more.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
you'll have to explain to everyone how "the government" monetizes retirement funds (which include equities and credit instruments, like stocks and bonds) with no adverse affect whatsoever to the rest of the investing universe, nor any adverse affect whatsoever to future tax revenues.

use as much detail as you think is necessary to explain how this would occur.

<fish on>

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I have software so powerful I know with in a certain standard deviation what's going to happen in the next 6 months given macro economic variables, i.e. major currency crisis, geo politcal crisis, bio logical crisis etc.

The point stands......I have seen grown men cry telling me their story about how they were retired, listened to "their Advisor" and then had to go back to work when their shit blew up.....their dream was gone within months.
View Quote
well, now...
perhaps it was "their Advisor" that was the problem?  
he/she bought a new Mercedes, and the investor paid for it?  

ps
i'm never going to give up on you...
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:11:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Nope you're doing good, providing your 401k allocations are good. 

I think it was Einstein that said compounding interest is the 8th wonder of the world. 
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
well, now...

ps
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well, now...

ps
LoL....of course. The poor old man didn't know the difference between a senior secured loan and a warrant.

I know I would have more clients if I didn't be so frank with people I meet.

Thanks for being my inspiration.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:18:07 PM EDT
[#48]
What is your interest on savings??? If it's less than 2% you are probably losing money.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
you'll have to explain to everyone how "the government" monetizes retirement funds (which include equities and credit instruments, like stocks and bonds) with no adverse affect whatsoever to the rest of the investing universe, nor any adverse affect whatsoever to future tax revenues.

<fish on>

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<fish on>

ar-jedi
If the government wanted to "kill off" 401(k)s (after all, they're just an instrument the rich use to get richer and avoid taxes) they would just lower the contribution limit (more likely just hold it at $18K for the foreseeable future).  That would force all of that tax-deferred money back onto tax returns.

Barring that, they could designate a mandatory investment in Treasuries, you know, for you own good.

Neither are likely to happen...ever.

Anything else would cause too much turmoil in the markets/economy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:42:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What is your interest on savings??? If it's less than 2% you are probably losing money.
View Quote
Hell, probably .0002%.
Always been good at saving, but not investing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top