Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2017 12:07:27 AM EDT
The Texas Outrage thread reminded me of this recent development.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2017/04/28/ethics-conversation-sal-cincotta-just-won-his-own-photography-contest

Apparently the man who runs Shutterfest also runs an image competition during the event.  Participants pay $25 per photo entry ($35 if the image is late).

Normally winners of a private photo competition aren't big news, but the identity of the winner in this case is the source of community uproar: Sal Cincotta, the owner of Shutterfest, just won the grand prize and 11 top-three finishes across the total of 17 categories in the Shutterfest Image Competition.

In addition to winning the Grand Jury Award, Cincotta placed in the top three of several categories:

1st place - Creative/Commercial
1st place - Creative/Fashion
2nd place - Portrait/Engagement
3rd place - Portrait/General
1st & 2nd place - Portrait/Seniors
1st, 2nd, & 3rd place - Wedding/Couple together
1st & 2nd place - Wedding/Alone
View Quote
... um, wtf?

The worse issue is that he apparently doesn't give a crap either.   His response to the question of ethics seems to be, "Fuck you; you're all sore losers."

Wow.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:16:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:18:26 AM EDT
[#2]
He never should have been allowed to enter
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:39:17 AM EDT
[#3]
That crap does happen. Brother went to a big car show/dyno contest at a dodge tuner but open to all. Have camaros vettes mustangs vipers ect . His car (insanely modded mustang cobra at the time) blew the doors off the competition in the dyno runs.  Beats a viper . Dodge guy putting it on didn't like that. Pulled a twin turbo viper out of the back and ran it. And awarded himself the 1st prize   let's just say after that everyone pretty much said fuck this guy and left.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:41:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know. I am in my local lion's club and we have charity raffles several times a year. We usually have trouble selling all of the tickets, so the members split the remainder. Occasionally one of us will win. No crooked games, just luck of the draw.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:53:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know. I am in my local lion's club and we have charity raffles several times a year. We usually have trouble selling all of the tickets, so the members split the remainder. Occasionally one of us will win. No crooked games, just luck of the draw.
View Quote
That's different.  That's just chance.  And it sounds like your group isn't winning to the point where it might look odd.

This is a situation where the owner charges everyone per image, picks the judges, and then essentially sweeps the awards himself.  And while I haven't personally looked at his images, there's been some discussion that his weren't necessarily better than that of the competition.

Personally I wouldn't bother giving him my money after that.  But he seems to think this is somehow "motivation" to do better than him - meaning pay him again to let his hand-picked judges pick the winner.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Organizers of any judged competition should never be allowed to enter into the competition.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:40:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Even if it were purely random, the organizer should not be involved. We had this issue with a car club event. Guy won something pretty big and everyone was kinda about it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:42:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Organizers of any judged competition should never be allowed to enter into the competition.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same at an annual gun bash that I work, and same with the 501c3 I work with and their raffles.  I drop anywhere from 200-500 dollars each event I work.

I rarely win anything.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#10]
his contest, his rules
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't see a problem with it, Seems most of you didn't read how it was run.

a large number of judges
NO names on any photos
If a judge thought they knew who took the photo they recused themselves from judging that photo.

We entered and competed in the races we ran when I owned a race track.
We enter and compete in the 3 gun matches we run as well.

While we don't take the prize for the place we finish, we do accept the placement.
The next place finisher gets the prize, but is awarded his actual place.
Nobody gets bent, many like the fact that we also compete, they know it's an event run by, and caters to competitors. It could be just a $$ driven event.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Doesn't matter if the contest organizer won the contest fair and square.  Next to no one who participated in that contest will ever trust that guy again or enter another of his contests.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#13]
A call to the state attorney general should clear things up. I'm not a lawyer but it is probably illegal in most states.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Doesn't matter if the contest organizer won the contest fair and square.  Next to no one who participated in that contest will ever trust that guy again or enter another of his contests.
View Quote
That's the bottom line, AFAIC. Your credibility, your reputation, your good name, all go in the toilet, no matter what the circumstances.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's different.  That's just chance.  And it sounds like your group isn't winning to the point where it might look odd.

This is a situation where the owner charges everyone per image, picks the judges, and then essentially sweeps the awards himself.  And while I haven't personally looked at his images, there's been some discussion that his weren't necessarily better than that of the competition.

Personally I wouldn't bother giving him my money after that.  But he seems to think this is somehow "motivation" to do better than him - meaning pay him again to let his hand-picked judges pick the winner.
View Quote
He's an idiot to even be involved, but photography contests these days (due to the tech) tend to be rather silly.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Dupe a roo
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Dupe a roo
View Quote
Link?  I see nothing on this site about Shutterfest.  Neither in search here, nor searching via google.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#18]
A small gun local dealer had a gun raffle to support the NRA. When ticket sales were not going well the gun club I belong to bought the remainder of the tickets. The club bought like 95% of the tickets available. Who won the gun you ask? Why his employee of course. Consequently I will NEVER buy into a raffle as I think they are all crooked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top