Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/27/2017 10:40:19 PM EDT
President Trump threatened to terminate the U.S. trade agreement with South Korea in an interview Thursday night, declaring that the five-year-old accord with a key ally was “a horrible deal” that has left America “destroyed.”
And Trump wants South Korea to pay the costs of the missile system being used to defend against North Korea. 
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-we-may-terminate-us-south-korea-trade-agreement/2017/04/27/75ad1218-2bad-11e7-a616-d7c8a68c1a66_story.html
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
President Trump threatened to terminate the U.S. trade agreement with South Korea in an interview Thursday night, declaring that the five-year-old accord with a key ally was “a horrible deal” that has left America “destroyed.”
And Trump wants South Korea to pay the costs of the missile system being used to defend against North Korea. 
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-we-may-terminate-us-south-korea-trade-agreement/2017/04/27/75ad1218-2bad-11e7-a616-d7c8a68c1a66_story.html
View Quote

Uh what? That's insane.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Uh what? That's insane.
View Quote
No. That is leverage gwasshoppa.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#3]
If China plays this right, South Korea will hand us our hat and coat.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes. No fucks given even on brink of war. Love it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:44:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good!  It is about fucking time!
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh what? That's insane.
This.  It's a good time to make a deal.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Uh what? That's insane.
View Quote
This seems correct so far:
- Obama deals = bad
- Trump deals = good
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Leverage to do what? Charge an ally for a missile defense system that serves our purpose as much as Seoul's? Leave that system there on our dollar; if anything, if the DPRK successfully launched any kind of meaningful attack, we'd be back at war again per our treaties/pacts.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:49:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Trade deals need to be beneficial to all sides, most of the past trade deals benefited our partners FAR more then they ever benefited us.

In real life, that's called getting fvcked over. Like having someone trade you their spark plug for your Corvette.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:49:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Leverage to do what? Charge an ally for a missile defense system that serves our purpose as much as Seoul's? Leave that system there on our dollar; if anything, if the DPRK successfully launched any kind of meaningful attack, we'd be back at war again per our treaties/pacts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And absent a big Chinese threat, South Korea doesn't need our help dealing with Li'l Kim.  Seoul is gonna get fucked up and then Short Bus Korea is gonna get really, really fucked up... with US forces present or not.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed. The only reason we support South Korea is because they're not North Korea.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:53:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Fair trade should be fair.

The US and the American worker always seem to get the shit end of the stick in trade deals.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:56:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Trade deals need to be beneficial to all sides, most of the past trade deals benefited our partners FAR more then they ever benefited us.

In real life, that's called getting fvcked over. Like having someone trade you their spark plug for your Corvette.
View Quote
+1

I like South Korea, but they are a wealthy country that can afford to pay more for their defense.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:59:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If China plays this right, South Korea will hand us our hat and coat.
View Quote
Lol, not even. Ask any Korean. They absolutely HATE the Chinese.

http://shanghaiist.com/2017/03/22/south_koreans_like_japan_over_china.php
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:00:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I was gonna say a million trained sex slaves, but, I guess paying for the godlike  defensive technologies that we have provided them with is a good start.

Considering the only reason they don't have to clap until their hand bleed because Kim farted, is us investing in their existence as a free society.

Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, I see that Hyundai and Kia seem to be doing well here in the US.
I have no idea how US cars are doing in South Korea. I'm guessing it is much like Japan, most American cars are too big and gas inefficient. Only certain vehicles with a niche market do well.
If there's a trade imbalance, that's not good.
As for the missile system, if Trump wants to charge South Korea, that's okay as long as he does the same for every country that has a US base or military weapons for their protection. That 's like a bunch of European countries.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#17]
How dare he try and negotiate favorable deals for his constituents.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:05:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Good Samsung can kiss my ass , Bring back Daewoo rifles
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#19]
So we ruffled the feathers of the north, then renegotiated the defense deal of the south.  NY values at work - that is some smooth operating there.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:17:41 PM EDT
[#20]
lol, good.  Pay up bitches, you're not poor.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh what? That's insane.
Yes.

No better time to renegotiate a trade deal than when the trading partner is about to blown into oblivion & you're the only thing stopping it.

Good business a tots best. That's why I voted for him!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:33:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow! he needs to cancel the deal and renegotiate it. Put America first. We are losers on every trade deal we have entered in the last 30 plus years. We have no obligation to defend SK other than an agreement we made when we were trying to stop the spread of communism. They can help pay for their own defense. It won't change a fucking thing in America if SK is lost. I'm all for helping them but paying for everything on both ends is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:33:34 PM EDT
[#23]
If I was the ROK in charge of such matters I'd simply show how much cheaper a PLA garrison would cost vs US troops and see if Trump could match it,pull something straight from Art of the Deal. They conduct a few times as much business with the Chinese as they do the US and from the Chinese side,they trade around 25 times more with South Korea than they do with their supposed puppet in the north. A war would be very,very bad for business so why not just replace the expensive Americans with just enough PLA for Un to know how bad things would go if he attacks? That's bigly 4D maneuvering.

Americans go home,taxpayers are saved a heap of money
Un doesn't dare to attack China
Japan then cuts another bigly deal with China so that Americans can leave there too
Americans focus on fixing America and are happier with themselves
If Americans are really in need of using the military somewhere there is always Mexico

Make me UN Secretary General and I'll have every problem solved in a week. It will be the following week that might get sporty
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I bet the powers that be at Hyundai and Kia are shitting their pants right about now.

LOL
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:42:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Lol. This man is a genius.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:46:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I want to buy my next car from the people who negotiate our trade agreements.

I see a Bentley in my garage for $250/mo.

TC

P.S.--Everyone wants to be a wheeler-dealer until it's time to do wheeler-dealer shit.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:58:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I bet the powers that be at Hyundai and Kia are shitting their pants right about now.

LOL
View Quote
 South Korean companies,including Hyundai,are taking a beating in China since the deployment ( at America's suggestion rather than Korean request) of THAAD. The Lotte conglomerate has closed dozens of its stores in China in the past couple months and there have been "destroy Korean products" demonstrations by Chinese ultra-nationalists. This whole thing is bad for business.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:07:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Good.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:04:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh what? That's insane.
The best. Maybe it's been about this trade deal all along...
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:17:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Damn those 250 or so South Korean companies with manufacturing facilities and other operations in the US that employ thousands upon thousands of Americans.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:47:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Damn those 250 or so South Korean companies with manufacturing facilities and other operations in the US that employ thousands upon thousands of Americans.
View Quote
...and make South Korea a healthy profit.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 4:45:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Uh what? That's insane.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:39:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Man, so you don't even know what trade is.

A South Korean company manufacturing a car in the US and selling it to Americans in the US is not considered trade.

If Ford manufactures a car in Mexico, then imports it into the US and sells it to Americans, that is trade.

They probably manufacture most components in South Korea and just assemble it here anyways, still helping South Korea more, and in which case, the components would count as trade.

Yes, the deal is one sided, yes, America gets fucked over, and yes, we need to stop getting fucked over.

LOL at the idea of South Korea having China defend them. China is the reason they didn't beat the Norks the first time, and China is the only reason North Korea still exists today.

What the fuck kind of threat would it be to the US if they wanted to replace us with Chinese defenders? I would laugh in their face, flip them the keys, and walk away slowly until they beg for forgiveness and give me anything I want to come back to the table.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:09:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Fair trade should be fair.

The US and the American worker always seem to get the shit end of the stick in trade deals.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:14:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If I was the ROK in charge of such matters I'd simply show how much cheaper a PLA garrison would cost vs US troops and see if Trump could match it,pull something straight from Art of the Deal. They conduct a few times as much business with the Chinese as they do the US and from the Chinese side,they trade around 25 times more with South Korea than they do with their supposed puppet in the north. A war would be very,very bad for business so why not just replace the expensive Americans with just enough PLA for Un to know how bad things would go if he attacks? That's bigly 4D maneuvering.

Americans go home,taxpayers are saved a heap of money
Un doesn't dare to attack China
Japan then cuts another bigly deal with China so that Americans can leave there too
Americans focus on fixing America and are happier with themselves
If Americans are really in need of using the military somewhere there is always Mexico

Make me UN Secretary General and I'll have every problem solved in a week. It will be the following week that might get sporty
View Quote
Yeah, welcoming chicom forces in your country is a great idea... Because they just want stability and trade... On another note, I wonder how much racism plays a role in Asian countries not playing nice with each other.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:16:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Wow! he needs to cancel the deal and renegotiate it. Put America first. We are losers on every trade deal we have entered in the last 30 plus years. We have no obligation to defend SK other than an agreement we made when we were trying to stop the spread of communism. They can help pay for their own defense. It won't change a fucking thing in America if SK is lost. I'm all for helping them but paying for everything on both ends is ridiculous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After reading all the comments, it is amazing to learn that the country with the most powerful economy in the world does such bad deals.
How is the USA so bad at economics, but has such a powerful economy?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:18:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Like having someone trade you their spark plug for your Corvette.
View Quote
"is it new and double platinum?" "fuck it, here's the keys." - obama
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:24:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
+1

I like South Korea, but they are a wealthy country that can afford to pay more for their defense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+1
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:44:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have no idea how US cars are doing in South Korea. I'm guessing it is much like Japan, most American cars are too big and gas inefficient. Only certain vehicles with a niche market do well.
As for the missile system, if Trump wants to charge South Korea, that's okay as long as he does the same for every country that has a US base or military weapons for their protection. That 's like a bunch of European countries.
View Quote
Foreign cars are almost non-existent in Korea. They have protectionist policies that would make the most hardcore Trumpista jealous. There's good reason for Trump to call them on their shit. Maybe not good timing, but good reason. The U.S. unilaterally egging on N. Korea and now whining about trade will empower and embolden the anti-U.S. And Leftist (much overlap there, but I digress) factions in S. Korea, where the domestic political system is already in great turmoil. This could ultimately greatly weaken U.S. influence there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:50:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
After reading all the comments, it is amazing to learn that the country with the most powerful economy in the world does such bad deals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

U.S. negotiatiors are rewarded by securing a deal, not by the quality of the deal.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Trump wants South Korea to pay the costs of the missile system being used to defend against North Korea.
View Quote
I'm okay with this.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:34:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:49:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Agreed. The only reason we support South Korea is because they're not North Korea.
View Quote
SK are like the basement dwelling millennial that won't move out of the house. It's about time they grew up shown an interest in taking care of themselves. 
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:50:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
If it seves both purposes equally, then they shouldnt get it for free.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:12:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Foreign cars are almost non-existent in Korea. They have protectionist policies that would make the most hardcore Trumpista jealous. There's good reason for Trump to call them on their shit. Maybe not good timing, but good reason. The U.S. unilaterally egging on N. Korea and now whining about trade will empower and embolden the anti-U.S. And Leftist (much overlap there, but I digress) factions in S. Korea, where the domestic political system is already in great turmoil. This could ultimately greatly weaken U.S. influence there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What alta-expensive US cars are Koreans supposed to buy? Gov't subsidized chevy volts? LOL
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
SK are like the basement dwelling millennial that won't move out of the house. It's about time they grew up shown an interest in taking care of themselves. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems a lot of folks here have no idea that the U.S. pretty much dictates U.S. force structure and composition to the Koreans, based on U.S. interests. If the Koreans have no say in it, why should they pay for it?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because the American worker is incredibly productive on average despite being stressed out, exhausted, underpaid (on average!) despite generally clueless management figureheads (puppeted by generally competent finance folks) and an incompetent hostile government. 
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:14:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What alta-expensive US cars are Koreans supposed to buy? Gov't subsidized chevy volts? LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bunny / pancake.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Seems a lot of folks here have no idea that the U.S. pretty much dictates U.S. force structure and composition to the Koreans, based on U.S. interests. If the Koreans have no say in it, why should they pay for it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could have stopped at just the red.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top