Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2017 3:12:09 PM EDT
I was looking for a boat, and found this beauty, and the first thing I thought was "Pirate ship!"

My second, more reasonable thought, was Pirate hunting ship.

From the site.

The vessel “Sea Path” is a 102 foot multipurpose research vessel. She was originally built by the US Navy for torpedo recovery. She also spent time as a fishing vessel but has now been reconditioned for oceanographic research in the Pacific Ocean.
View Quote
Boat

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#1]
So, you like pirates?

Don't worry, you're in a safe place.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#2]
so write "Treasure hunting ship" on the side and drive tours up and down africa with tour boat loads of ARFCOMmers and whatever happens, happens?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
so write "Treasure hunting ship" on the side and drive tours up and down africa with tour boat loads of ARFCOMmers and whatever happens, happens?
View Quote
Just get two sets of placards with 'Treasure Tours' and 'Privateer Tours', and alternate throughout the month.

I wonder how much a 40mm Bofors goes for in Africa...
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I like it. Needs more .50 cal if you plan on pirate hunting.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#5]
they got a pond big enough to float that in Ohio??? there is a pirate lady on this board somewhere...
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
they got a pond big enough to float that in Ohio??? there is a pirate lady on this board somewhere...
View Quote
We have a Great Lake    Canadians can be pirates too cant they?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I know of a certain pirate.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#8]
only 89k

i wouldnt mind having it, needs more gun mounts imho
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#9]
We could use my boat as a tender.

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're gonna sail it along the Somali coastline to trigger pirates, put a Wells Fargo logo on the side of it.    
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
butt pirates, maybe.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#12]
How is it rated against antitank rockets and rpgs?

Because that would be my worry.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Group buy/Time share?

Kinda not kidding.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sure, but only Newfies.  On account of the sodomy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#15]
  • Four, twelve cylinder Detroit Diesel. model12V71N
  • 480 Horse power at 2100 RPM      
  • Holds 9500 gallons of fuel in eighgt steel tanks

Quick look into it puts that at about 2 days of fuel if you have to book it. I'd want something bigger with more endurance and speed myself. 

Here's a boat that was for sale where I live. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Shackle_(ARS-9)

Don't know the full fuel capacity, but it's estimated to still be sitting with 50K gallons onboard as is. 
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the Canadians are a very special kind of pirate

But yes on a group buy for the boat,I'm ready to say fuck it and hunt pirates for a living and maybe sea shepherds if the Japanese will pay.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#17]
You want something on the order of a frigate with enough power to outrun or rundown anything else you meet. Outrun if you're outgunned, run down if pirates turn tail and flee.
Or just use it as a "ruse" ship to lure them alongside and then fire down into the decks with something that will hole the bottom.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You want something on the order of a frigate with enough power to outrun or rundown anything else you meet. Outrun if you're outgunned, run down if pirates turn tail and flee.
Or just use it as a "ruse" ship to lure them alongside and then fire down into the decks with something that will hole the bottom.
View Quote
nah, better the be able to kill or cripple them, boats are surprisingly hard to sink fast. In my dive school we had a 5K lb maybe 30' gutted steel hull used to practice salvage on, with about 20 square feet of holes in the hull.  When surfaced, and all of the hull patches removed it still took awhile to sink. As long as any buoyant force remains, it'll stay on surface. 
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Group buy/Time share?

Kinda not kidding.
View Quote
This 
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Group buy/Time share?

Kinda not kidding.
This 
Sylvan as Commander.

LRRPF52 weapons training.

Joglee for HK liason.

Madcap for...uh, anger management.

Go on...
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
nah, better the be able to kill or cripple them, boats are surprisingly hard to sink fast. In my dive school we had a 5K lb maybe 30' gutted steel hull used to practice salvage on, with about 20 square feet of holes in the hull.  When surfaced, and all of the hull patches removed it still took awhile to sink. As long as any buoyant force remains, it'll stay on surface. 
View Quote
Can Somali pirates swim?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Can Somali pirates swim?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can Somali pirates swim?
I'm sure some can, I'd rather they have too many holes in them to though.  I'd myself would be more worried about one yoloing an RPG of a sinking boat.  

IMHO Javelins would be AWESOME for anti-pirate shit. TOW's and other wire guided variants would come in a close second. 
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I found this for it. I know it's Soviet but I think we can make it work.  http://www.tampers.eu/B-13-naval-for-Sale-Demilitarized.html
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quick look into it puts that at about 2 days of fuel if you have to book it. I'd want something bigger with more endurance and speed myself. 

Don't know the full fuel capacity, but it's estimated to still be sitting with 50K gallons onboard as is. 
View Quote
I had a friend who was on the Decom crew for Acushnet. She was pretty tired. Also pretty slow, but she could get across the Pacific on her own.

A Hamilton class cutter would be ideal for Pirate hunting tours. Just gotta convince the State Department you are a third world Navy and they will gift you one with a full magazine and a belly full of diesel. They are pretty.

But if you are in a smaller budget you can buy an ex Island Class patrol boat. 110 feet, faster than the boat in the OP and all ready set up for a MK38 25mm. If you get this going I'll come help you crew it. Could probably round up another half dozen skallywags who are qualified too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#25]
If OP is looking in that size range and needs a pirate captain. I will be finished on the POS I am on now in a few  weeks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#26]
IMHO Javelins would be AWESOME for anti-pirate shit. TOW's and other wire guided variants would come in a close second.

Can't use TOWS over water
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
So what kind of speed and endurance are we talking about?

The one you listed does 15 knots according to the wiki. What about operating a couple 40 knot rigid hull inflatables from that salvage ship? That fast enough to rundown a Somali skiff?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The one you listed does 15 knots according to the wiki. What about operating a couple 40 knot rigid hull inflatables from that salvage ship? That fast enough to rundown a Somali skiff?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kind of what I was thinking, I totally botched putting down a full concept trying to get out the door. 
Basically use pirate tactics. Have a mother ship with long legs, although as previously mentioned the one I linked is kind of slow. Then a lot of fast boats to make a lot of hard to hit targets. 
Purpose of having a boat with long legs is to get well away of pirate waters when it comes time to hit port. 
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sylvan as Commander.

Joglee for HK liason.

Go on...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Group buy/Time share?

Kinda not kidding.
This 
Sylvan as Commander.

Joglee for HK liason.

Go on...
I think I should be HK liason, I only have like 12 of them 
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Can't use TOWS over water
View Quote
You can, it would just be predicated on getting them as high as possible and the range would be reduced by about 1/3rd. 

However, the trade off would be the ability to track boats in a highly dynamically moving environment, and the blast itself while holing most boats, would blow the decks pretty clear of bad guys.  

eta- for those wondering where the "tows can't be shot over water" thing comes from, the wires are uninsulated and over distance sag and drag on the ground. if they hit  water they'll short the steering signals and the missile will at best stop tracking, at worst be an out of control teen that does what it wants.  

But, since perfect worlds don't exist, the above table shows approx ranges that you can shoot over water, because sometimes you can't "aww shucks" and pack it up because a badguy is on the other side of a pond hammering you. 

Also... more modern TOW's that are laser or RF guided don't have wires. 
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I had a friend who was on the Decom crew for Acushnet. She was pretty tired. Also pretty slow, but she could get across the Pacific on her own.

A Hamilton class cutter would be ideal for Pirate hunting tours. Just gotta convince the State Department you are a third world Navy and they will gift you one with a full magazine and a belly full of diesel. They are pretty.

But if you are in a smaller budget you can buy an ex Island Class patrol boat. 110 feet, faster than the boat in the OP and all ready set up for a MK38 25mm. If you get this going I'll come help you crew it. Could probably round up another half dozen skallywags who are qualified too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like your idea a lot better.    

I posted up the shackle only as an example of something that was easily obtainable within a realistic budget or a group of people to acquire. 

(Being in Seattle area is neat because a lot of the surplus ships that pop up for sale. )
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Group buy/Time share?

Kinda not kidding.
This 
Sylvan as Commander.

Joglee for HK liason.

Go on...
It's not about numbers, it's about commitment.

Have you ever read a Joglee thread?

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#33]
@eesmith will be our captain.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#34]
While I like the idea of the smaller chase boats, having a group out isolated from the mother ship leaves it vulnerable to capture - capture and Ransom is what these guys do after all.
I still think the main ship being capable of making good speed is better. And if Sylvan is commanding, what could go wrong?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Just get two sets of placards with 'Treasure Tours' and 'Privateer Tours', and alternate throughout the month.

I wonder how much a 40mm Bofors goes for in Africa...
View Quote
Got a few 40mm's in my back bay (serious).  I'm in - let's get this party started.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Smacks head Of course!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I know of a certain pirate.
View Quote
FP also nails it.  Not what OP expected.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's not about numbers, it's about commitment.

Have you ever read a Joglee thread?

View Quote
Apparently not, off to Google...

Oh. 
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Looks like a good time
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sinks pretty fast when you're on board. Barely enough time to get in a survival suit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#41]
I know nothing about sail boats but I day dreamed for ten years as we came into port that a certain sailboat that tied up a few docks away were be a perfect TEOTWAWKI assault ship.

Small enough to be sailed by one or two but big enough for a squad + crew on short trips and a fireteam +crew on longer ones.

All I'd need are some MGs, and a MK19.

This ship looked fast, was grey and from talking to its owner one day I found out it was for sale. I wish I had the money
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#42]
I volunteer as part of the boarding party.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#43]
@Kubota3430 can be our mechanic....

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I like it. Needs more .50 cal if you plan on pirate hunting.
View Quote
there are no gun laws in international waters.....

mmahh duces for everyone!!!!!

Duces up for floppies!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#45]
YARRR

The Sailor's Hornpipe ORCHESTRAL College Hornpipe

Rum, sodomy, and the lash.  And sodomy!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Sinks pretty fast when you're on board. Barely enough time to get in a survival suit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which... is about the last thing I would worry about engaging in a gun fight with Somali pirates. Because that's enough time to still spray and pray since... I figure the LAST thing they would be doing is getting into a mustang suit... near the equator.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#47]
@Undefined can be our supply officer.

No. Scratch that.  He can be our supply depot!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Forget all that modern missile crap, you need 8-16 black powder cannons with a bore not less than 3 inches. A few .50s or 20mm Oerlikons for back up might be a good idea. Just start the engagement at 1500m and use the stability of your floating tank to lay down accurate fire on the bouncy skiff.

Imagine the satisfaction of scoring a direct hit with a cannon ball or some grape shot!

Traditional naval uniforms required.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:39:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Smacks head Of course!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Smacks head Of course!
Someone please talk her into taking a picture going.

"I am the Captian now."

Awhile ago I wrote a story that wound up going nowhere about several groups of political outliers and PMCs invading Somalia and making it into a libertarian paradise.

Anyone here want to try it?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:50:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Weird excessively polite pirates I suppose.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top