BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
in before all the butthurt and triggering from the fatties that only fit in bench seats 
View Quote
LOL. This.

/I have been leasing for 25 years. New car every 2 to 3 years max. Why? Because I can afford it and it's my money. You guys who brag about driving your 8 year old paid off cars good for you. Your choice. I choose to not worry about if my car will need an expensive fix or leave me on a long trip.

Besides, other then a classic or vintage car, very few people, if money was not an issue, would choose to drive an old ass used car rather than a feature laden new car. Sure there are always you crusty fucks who say, "they don't make 'em like this anymore", "last of the big engines!", or my favorite, "I don't like any of the new cars they make today!".  Sure you don't Gramps. You can hold your phone on speaker up in front of your face as you drive to work in traffic, you no Bluetooth havin' fucks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Op, it is not a downside to leasing. Your car would have depreciated because of the accidents if you had paid cashed or financed it.
View Quote
This.

This is more like a downside of having a car, period.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
OP check your lease 99% of them have gap insurance built in.

As for the rest of the vast amount of stupid in some of these replies, not gonna waste my time.

ETA: if you're gonna turn it in, you're not liable for the difference. Your residual is in your lease, which is legal contract..... And is also the reason the lessee puts gap insurance in the lease.
View Quote
This. Not sure why the OP wouldn't know this after leasing for so long.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, I forgot to say this:

"You pays your money and you makes your choice"
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Just one?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You have been renting cars for twenty years,whats getting fucked over for a few more thousand matter now?
+1
Dave Ramsey says leasing is for suckers.

This is one of Dave Ramsey's houses.

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I leased a truck one time...  I still walk funny
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's only part of the formula. Used and older cars (past the 3 year mark) have No full warranty, so if it brakes, you pay for it. Plus Tire replacement,brakes,shocks, a/c, alignments,tune ups.... you'll not be paying for any of that on a proper lease, but you will on your paid for older car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You should try the "driving a paid off car" option. If you think you are saving money by leasing, wait till you see how much you save by not paying at all! It also gives you lots of extra money for things like skiing, vacations, evenings on an exotic beach with drinks....You know, shit thats way more memorable than the latest new car as you drive to work. 
That's only part of the formula. Used and older cars (past the 3 year mark) have No full warranty, so if it brakes, you pay for it. Plus Tire replacement,brakes,shocks, a/c, alignments,tune ups.... you'll not be paying for any of that on a proper lease, but you will on your paid for older car.
Lol no. You're paying for it one way or another, either on the front end or the back end.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You should try the "driving a paid off car" option. If you think you are saving money by leasing, wait till you see how much you save by not paying at all! It also gives you lots of extra money for things like skiing, vacations, evenings on an exotic beach with drinks....You know, shit thats way more memorable than the latest new car as you drive to work. 
Buy a 3 year old car cash, and sell it 5 years later (or less) when you're tired of owning it. Roll that money plus the money you've been socking away every month into your new car. Nothing serious is going to happen to most cars in 7 years, unless you're a total retard with the maintenance. 

Tires? A full set of 245/45R19 Michelin Pilot Sport 3's for my car are like $880. What is that, two lease payments on something decent? Three? BFD. And they're only good for about 15k miles. 

You can obviously purchase tires that will last as long as you own the car. 

You're not going to service the A/C, replace the shocks, or really do anything other than scheduled maintenance on a <7 year old daily driver unless you put a fuck ton of miles on it. And even if you do, it's still cheaper than leasing one every year. If you hand me a $4k repair bill right now, not only will I pay it without batting an eye, I'm still tens of thousands of dollars ahead. 

I totally get the idea behind leasing and I'm not against it (not even a little), I just don't think it's an affordable way to own a car long term, that's all. 
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Depending on what you are buying and how much it will depreciate over the time that you own it, some leases look pretty attractive. Face it, some people are happy driving a 17 year old Ford F-250(namely me) and there are others who are slaves to anything less than 2 years old. I have always kept my wife in vehicles under 100,000 miles. Here recently as we have both turned 50 I'm keeping her in something pretty nice from here on out. Her 2017 Audi Q7 has less than 20 grand left to pay and it is warranted until 60,000 miles and regular scheduled services were purchased at time of sale for those 60,000 miles. Their service department is just damned awesome. They drive 120 miles and drop her off a new Q5 or Q7 for a loaner and take hers back for service. They return it when done. Same with any recalls or other service we schedule. They even left us the loaner when my son was deployed and they did service on his 2012 A6 (that he didn't buy from them). I can bet she'll be driving another new Audi when her 60,000 mile warranty runs out. It may be a lease, we'll see how this one plays out on depreciation when the time comes.

Diminished value is a real thing OP, and leasing companies aren't in the business to lose money. Their car, their diminished value. Keep your records straight for when you get rid of it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There is ONE potential downside to car leasing
View Quote

there are WAY MORE downsides to leasing than that...
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
His insurance company should provide you with a check for diminished value. You save that money and use if needed when you turn the car in.
View Quote
This.

I can't speak about other makes, but on a Honda lease, you just take it to any approved repair shop and they do not "deduct" from the value of the vehicle if repaired at the end when you turn in the car.

Take it to Jamals midnight garage & falaffal stand,...  You take your chances...
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Explain how you were rear ended twice in four months.  

That is one of my biggest assumed threats now.   So I watch people behind me as I come to a stop and leave plenty of room between me and the person in front (if there is one).
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Snip:

Quoted:
I totally get the idea behind leasing and I'm not against it (not even a little), I just don't think it's an affordable way to own drive a car long term, that's all. 
View Quote
Fixed, because renters don't have anything to show for it. Leasing is the adult equivalent of a high school kid driving his Dad's 3 series and bragging about how good he's got it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lemme guess, car salesman, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As for the rest of the vast amount of stupid in some of these replies, not gonna waste my time.

ETA: if you're gonna turn it in, you're not liable for the difference. Your residual is in your lease, which is legal contract..... And is also the reason the lessee puts gap insurance in the lease.
Just someone who ACTUALLY knows what he is talking about ...

The DERP is strong within the thread by all the "experts" who claim they actually 'own' their cars while they are making payments for 6 years...  
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I love leasing, and I've leased all my and my wife's cars for the last 20 years. It's kept us in mew cars for a lot less per month than buying.
View Quote

LOL. Might want to do the math there buddy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Sure you don't Gramps. You can hold your phone on speaker up in front of your face as you drive to work in traffic, you no Bluetooth havin' fucks.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:42:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
yeah, that's 480 months of payments.  would love to see the extended figure.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#19]
As long as the leasing company approved the repairs.
you will have no problem. just like every couple of years turn the car in and take up the new one

I had $18,000 in repairs on a $24,000 car. turned in at the end of the lease
and they actually delivered my new car to my house.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Snip:

Fixed, because renters don't have anything to show for it. Leasing is the adult equivalent of a high school kid driving his Dad's 3 series and bragging about how good he's got it.
View Quote
Really all depends on the situation. 90% of the time, I think leasing is putting good money into nothing, but there are several ways it can be the best option for the right driver.

Here's one....when a dealer has a blowout deal on a lease deal that's really well below going payment rates, on a car where long-term ownership isn't desirable. They were leasing Jettas at a local dealership for $129/mo. for excellent credit with $0 down. You can't do a payment for twice that, on that particular car. For someone who needs a reliable car, that's a good deal on a lease. You're only spending about the same $$ you'd lose in depreciation having financed it, with a much cheaper payment that would allow you to save up downpayment or partial on owning a car (or buying that one out) at the end of the lease note. And, since VW's have reliability issues long term, you've never risked much since it was factory warranty the entire 3 years.

That's not a common scenario, but you can lease and it can make some sense.

Another, which my mom did was lease her Kia Soul. The lease was a few bucks less a month than her payment would have been, and at the end of her lease her buyout for the car was lower than she could buy a 2 year old Soul, and lower than the principle would have been at that stage of the financing. It saved her a few bucks a month, she bought the car after 2 years, and made out ok.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just someone who ACTUALLY knows what he is talking about ...

The DERP is strong within the thread by all the "experts" who claim they actually 'own' their cars while they are making payments for 6 years...  
View Quote
What about those of us that buy a 2-3 year old vehicle, pay off the loan in 3 years and drive it for 7-10 while piling up payments in the bank to buy the next one with even less financed? I mean, yeah, we don't look as baller as some of you badasses driving cars you really can't afford, but still.....
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love leasing, and I've leased all my and my wife's cars for the last 20 years. It's kept us in mew cars for a lot less per month than buying.

That's the thing, there's just no reasoning with people that have accepted the 'fact' that they're going to have car payments ALWAYS & FOREVER. Sounds like the bankers brainwashing efforts have surpassed critical mass at this point...
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Leasing is the worst thing ever.

I do not understand how you actually like it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Leasing fits well for a couple different people:

1.  Suckers, who think it is an affordable way to drive a car.

2.  People whose income is such, that how much they spend on a car is fairly irrelevant.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

2.  People whose income is such, that how much they spend on a car is fairly irrelevant.
View Quote
3.  Business owners who can run all the costs through the business and walk away at the end of the lease.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Therein lies the problem, most people can't stomach the thought of driving anything less than the latest/greatest. In some circles this is known as living beyond ones means.
View Quote
What about the circles where we can afford the nice things and tell Dave Ramsey to eat our asshole?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This. OP you should pay attention to this. This is the ADVANTAGE of leasing. If you bought the car you are on the hook for diminished value. When you lease the bank is on the hook, not you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. OP you should pay attention to this. This is the ADVANTAGE of leasing. If you bought the car you are on the hook for diminished value. When you lease the bank is on the hook, not you
Both answers here are correct. The lessee doesn't collect anything for DIV, because he is not financially harmed. That right is reserved for the lessor who may suffer loss of value on the resale.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:18:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
3.  Business owners who can run all the costs through the business and walk away at the end of the lease.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats where it gets tricky
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Exactly. I own several vehicles. I like to lease my daily driver because I like new and fast, and don't give a shit about the payments. I spend more on guns/cans/reloading/hunting/etc per year than on the leased car by orders of magnitude. The car is fun for me... I can drive it like I stole it and turn it in for the new model in three years... that's worth it to me.  However, if you are the type that requires listening to Dave Ramsey to get your finances figured out, my perspective probably makes zero sense to you.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lets use this average and say a lease is 300 a month. 

3 months worth of lease payments pays for a year of my standard wear items. Brakes once a year at 300 bucks or so. Tires? 1200 (I have a truck) but they last me 3 years or so. Oil change is a bit of a kick in the dick at 100 a pop and about 2 a year. 

So figure about 900ish a year in maintenance, and thats asusming I needed brakes once a year (Which I dont).

Yeah, you come out so much ahead with your lease. I'l be sure to take my 2000 in savings and not go on a nice cruise, or buy 1 extra nice rifle, or take a ski trip with the family. 
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Exactly. I own several vehicles. I like to lease my daily driver because I like new and fast, and don't give a shit about the payments. I spend more on guns/cans/reloading/hunting/etc per year than on the leased car car by orders of magnitude. The car is fun for me... I can drive it like I stole it and turn it in for the new model in three years... that's worth it to me.  However, if you are the type that requires listening to Dave Ramsey to get your finances figured out, my perspective probably makes zero sense to you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. I own several vehicles. I like to lease my daily driver because I like new and fast, and don't give a shit about the payments. I spend more on guns/cans/reloading/hunting/etc per year than on the leased car car by orders of magnitude. The car is fun for me... I can drive it like I stole it and turn it in for the new model in three years... that's worth it to me.  However, if you are the type that requires listening to Dave Ramsey to get your finances figured out, my perspective probably makes zero sense to you.
That's the thing, some people spend more money a year on meals and entertainments than on a car lease payment.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

3 months worth of lease payments pays for a year of my standard wear items. Brakes once a year at 300 bucks or so. Tires? 1200 (I have a truck) but they last me 3 years or so. Oil change is a bit of a kick in the dick at 100 a pop and about 2 a year. 

So figure about 900ish a year in maintenance, and thats asusming I needed brakes once a year (Which I dont).

Yeah, you come out so much ahead with your lease. I'l be sure to take my 2000 in savings and not go on a nice cruise, or buy 1 extra nice rifle, or take a ski trip with the family. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never lease....

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Aren't you going to make it up during all your physical injury suits ?  With all the pain and suffering and all.  Isn't that how they do it?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Tell us about these Mew cars.
Are you in the dairy industry?
View Quote
Don't be ridiculous, a Mew car is for cat breeders.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

LOL. This.

/I have been leasing for 25 years. New car every 2 to 3 years max. Why? Because I can afford it and it's my money. You guys who brag about driving your 8 year old paid off cars good for you. Your choice. I choose to not worry about if my car will need an expensive fix or leave me on a long trip.

Besides, other then a classic or vintage car, very few people, if money was not an issue, would choose to drive an old ass used car rather than a feature laden new car. Sure there are always you crusty fucks who say, "they don't make 'em like this anymore", "last of the big engines!", or my favorite, "I don't like any of the new cars they make today!".  Sure you don't Gramps. You can hold your phone on speaker up in front of your face as you drive to work in traffic, you no Bluetooth havin' fucks.
View Quote
You are absolutely right if I could afford a new car I would get one. I think, although I dont know, if my income was probably 400k or higher I wouldnt give a shit about a car payment. I have a ways to get to that level, so I keep my paid off cars. Given that I view a highly depreciating item as just that. A huge money sink.

So my sports vehicle happens to be my retirements. I shovel as much money into that every month as a proper Porsche so I consider my investment vehicle as my "sports car". 

If I break the half mil a tear figure like you I'll probably be a bit more free with my money. As it is.....Theres just too damn much salt on my money for me to waste it on cars. I dont care about the money itself, but I put in way too much sweat getting that salt on there to give that away! 
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#37]
WRONG, if you wait until the end of the lease you are guaranteed the residual value of the car as long as it has been repaired!!! that is one of the benefits to leasing a car, no matter what happens as long as you return the car without any major damage to it and within the agreed upon miles.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention how many people think a business doesn't have to have income to lease such things. It's still money.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
WRONG, if you wait until the end of the lease you are guaranteed the residual value of the car as long as it has been repaired!!! that is one of the benefits to leasing a car, no matter what happens as long as you return the car without any major damage to it and within the agreed upon miles.
View Quote
You mean he has been paying gap insurance for 2 cars for 20 years for........nothing? 

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is correct. As long as all the damage has been repaired, you can litterally walk away from the car at the end of the lease unless the manufacturer charges a fee usually 495-695 at the end. Some manufacturers have the fees built into the lease. In 15 years I have yet to see a lease that didn't have GAP built into it. The vehicle is owner by the manufacturer, not the leasee, so therefore the manufacturer requires GAP to protect their vehicle for instances like this.  

The only way OP will take a hit is if he tries to trade out of his lease early. Leases still have a payoff like a loan. That's were loss if value because of the two major accidents would come into play. OP is unfortunately stuck with his car till the end of the lease, but when the lease is up he will walk away like any normal lease.

And for those that say leasing is bad only hear the crap they read on the internet. Some vehicles are stupid to lease, that is true. But some vehicles are quite smart to lease. Especially if you trade very few years like the majority of people. As long as you can stick to the mileage requirements and lease a car that carries a high residual, and have no plans of owning the car when the lease is up.

I leased my truck for stupid cheap payments considering what it is. At the end of 3 years of I want something else I will walk away, but I plan on keeping it. Had it 19 months, I like it. And the best part is that my residual is less that what one just like mine will be selling for in another 17 months. So if I want to buy it, it will be a smoking good deal. Leasing it was a win win.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not just wrong, but incrediwrong.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This is correct. As long as all the damage has been repaired, you can litterally walk away from the car at the end of the lease unless the manufacturer charges a fee usually 495-695 at the end. Some manufacturers have the fees built into the lease. In 15 years I have yet to see a lease that didn't have GAP built into it. The vehicle is owner by the manufacturer, not the leasee, so therefore the manufacturer requires GAP to protect their vehicle for instances like this.  

The only way OP will take a hit is if he tries to trade out of his lease early. Leases still have a payoff like a loan. That's were loss if value because of the two major accidents would come into play. OP is unfortunately stuck with his car till the end of the lease, but when the lease is up he will walk away like any normal lease.

And for those that say leasing is bad only hear the crap they read on the internet. Some vehicles are stupid to lease, that is true. But some vehicles are quite smart to lease. Especially if you trade very few years like the majority of people. As long as you can stick to the mileage requirements and lease a car that carries a high residual, and have no plans of owning the car when the lease is up.

I leased my truck for stupid cheap payments considering what it is. At the end of 3 years of I want something else I will walk away, but I plan on keeping it. Had it 19 months, I like it. And the best part is that my residual is less that what one just like mine will be selling for in another 17 months. So if I want to buy it, it will be a smoking good deal. Leasing it was a win win.
View Quote
I think some people have the idea that leasing is bad because of the old "open end" leasing where there was no pre-set residual value. IIRC "open end" leasing has been replaced entirely by "closed end" leasing where the residual has been set in stone.

I too lease my daily drivers because I don't want to rely on a car out of its warranty and many new cars also include free maintenance for 2-3 years. Cars are only getting better for the most part - safer, more fuel efficient, more conveniences. Also leasing a car doesn't mean you can't still buy it out at the end of the lease. I have switched leased cars into purchases if I loved the car.

The cars I want to own are the ones that actually might appreciate in value. Bought an old 97 911 turbo for $40k 10 years ago that today is going for 4x that much.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Uhhhhhh 20 year car guy I have NEVER seen or heard of a customer being charged due to a accident. As a matter of fact that is a benefit of a lease as the diminished value is the leasing companies problem not yours. Rest easy OP your in the clear!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Triggered
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. This.

Triggered
I love how "I can afford it and it's my money" is juxtaposed on "...worry about if my car will need an expensive fix". 

I just cut a check, and the shop gives me a loaner. Anything truly major and unforeseen is covered by my insurance. Still cheaper than 25 years of lease payments and I'm not driving a shitbox around, either. 

I have no idea why people don't just say "I want a brand new car every three years or less, and I'm willing to spend up to $x/mo to do it". That's perfectly sufficient, without trying to rationalize it any other way. We all spend money on shit we don't really need to (especially me!), and it doesn't need to be justified. 
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:18:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Have you contacted the leasing company, it would be in their interest to get paid on DV claim.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sounds like the car needs to disappear...
View Quote
Why would he commit fraud to make a rental disappear?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have no idea why people don't just say "I want a brand new car every three years or less, and I'm willing to spend up to $x/mo to do it". That's perfectly sufficient, without trying to rationalize it any other way. We all spend money on shit we don't really need to (especially me!), and it doesn't need to be justified. 
View Quote
QFT
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
renters are weird.
View Quote
Yea it's real weird leasing a depreciating asset.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top