Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/24/2017 11:05:06 PM EDT
Approved by @Striker.

So, as many of you know, I'm marrying Fatalwishes' widow, FW_wife, come the end of May.  We're having a small wedding, and a few ARFCOMmers are invited.

I wanted to share our joy with more of you, but we're flat out of parking.  So, I checked w/ Striker, and he said I can give away the following:

ETA:  sublimeshooter takes this one - Sixtigers is runner up.  When I tried to glue one of these together, it didn't work, but several folks here have welded and brazed these together, and @Raider14 is doing an excellent build of one @ the moment.  So, for all you welders, post up a pic of your welding equipment and something you welded recently, and the first one who does so I'll send a Flat Spot lower to ya.  If you'd rather build a long receiver in .308" or 6.5mm sommat, I'll send you the DPMS .308" compatible flat.  (Note - brazing is also acceptable - super glue is cheating & won't work - tried it.)

Raider 14's build w/ links to previous ARFCOM Flat Spot builds

And now sublimeshooter's build thread:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/712979_Backbencher-s-Wedding-Giveaway-Build-update-5-4.html

If you live in Connecticut, and have a STEN kit you've been wanting to build, and have a welder, in lieu of the above I will order an equivalent value of STEN mags, chop them @ the reinforcement, and ship the parts to you so you can reweld them into 10 round mags for your STEN build.  You'll still need to be the 1st welder to post up, however.

ETA:  Rachgier from the HiPoint forum takes this one; NorthPolar is runner-up.  For those of you without welding equipment, many of you have a Dremel.  So, post up a pic of your Dremel or equivalent, and something you've Dremeled recently, and the first one who does so will get one of these in whichever color you ask for, including pink:  http://www.eparmory.com/Polymer-80-Lower-Receiver-s/1881.htm

No prizes left:

SierraWhiskeyMike takes it!  AKengineer is runner-up.  And for those of you with an AR thumbhole stock in hand, whether the Hera CQR or otherwise, post up a pic of your stock, and the first second (SWM) one who does so I'll send you one of these so you can build a Lyndon.  It will also come with this.  You'll need a hacksaw blade.

Digger440 takes the last prize!  Banshee35 is runner-up.  Additionally, the first person (Digger 440) who posts a pic of their AR5.7 16" upper will also receive a pair of the trigger jig and pistol grip adapter.

The first Lyndon, in .22" LR:

Attachment Attached File

Of course, there are conditions.  If, by our 1st anniversary, you have failed to complete your lower, trigger jig, or STEN kit into a functioning rifle, pistol, shotgun, other, SBR, SBS, AOW, or machinegun (SOTs only), you commit to passing your gift along to the 2nd place winner in that category, and paying all shipping and any engraving and/or FFL transfer fees.  Please post a build thread, preferably step by step, so others can follow in your footsteps.  Offer only available to US residents & citizens, damn ITAR.  If you live in a jurisdiction in which you cannot legally complete the build, please do not take the gift away from someone who can.

I'll post this now, and put pics in in a bit.  ETA:  pics added.  ETA:  If I've already given you a Flat Spot lower, or you've already built one, you're not eligible for that particular prize.  Post pics of your Dremel.

ETA:  If no one claims the last prize by our wedding day or when this thread archives, whichever is sooner, the contest ends @ that point.  All prizes claimed.  Thanks fellas!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:19:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Make me join another forum just to post a timestamp from another forum.

HPFF Time stamp 21:47 MST

EDIT: Green will do. Need another .22 to keep the woman and kids the hell off my 10/22.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:40:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Holding this spot...and congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!

ETA:  Okay--didn't make it in time, adding these photos at 2227 my time.

My "big" tanks...

...currently learning to gas weld...

My wire feeders and my first tank set, gifted to me by my father in the early 90's...

...and my stick machine, which honestly doesn't get much use since I started with MIG.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:54:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got none of the above but I would like to wish you congratulations and happiness in your future
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:14:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Tag for photos, but I ended up dremelling out the barrel channel on my Ruger 77/357 as it was touching for most of the length.  Don't get me wrong, it's not pretty, but it is functional until I can afford a Boyd's stock for it.

Congrats on the wedding and best of luck to you and the new mrs.  Thanks for the giveaway as well. 

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:21:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Make me join another forum just to post a timestamp from another forum.

EDIT: Green will do. Need another .22 to keep the woman and kids the hell off my 10/22.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:  Make me join another forum just to post a timestamp from another forum.

Yeah, haven't had any caffeine yet, but I'll send you a green one once you PM me an address (on ARFCOM.  The giveaway is on ARFCOM, lol)

Seeing if I can quote your posts:

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f336/steel-plastic-less-80-giveaway-322785/#post2407294

=Rachgier;2407294]Chicago Electric okay?
http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f336/steel-plastic-less-80-giveaway-322785/#post2407295

=Rachgier;2407295]Had to dig to find the pic. Buddy wanted a rail on his A2 hand guard and showed up with the rifle and a rail.

NorthPolar, you'll be the runner-up for the EP Armory 80% - if Rach doesn't finish the build in the next year, he'll have to pay shipping to Alaska.

ETA:  Rach, welcome to ARFCOM.  Got any Legos?  
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#6]
this thread just made me realize that I never take pictures of my projects.  

oh well.  good on you OP, and congrats and good luck on your future
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:40:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ETA:  Rach, welcome to ARFCOM.  Got any Legos?  
View Quote
Don't make me smack the Kragle out of you.

PM inbound on both forums.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  Don't make me smack the Kragle out of you.

View Quote
Ok, lemme get some caffeine in me, and I'll have one sent.  Zombie green, you said?  They have pink, black, & tan available.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ok, lemme get some caffeine in me, and I'll have one sent.  Zombie green, you said?  They have pink, black, & tan available.
View Quote
Yep. Zombie green works for 2 reasons; A. Easily identifiable as not my 5.56. B. If I went with pink for her, they wouldn't like it and I would be rocking a pink .22 come wabbit season.

Now if only I could figure out posting pics on here.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  Don't make me smack the Kragle out of you.

View Quote
Tan ordered per our PMs.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep. Zombie green works for 2 reasons; A. Easily identifiable as not my 5.56. B. If I went with pink for her, they wouldn't like it and I would be rocking a pink .22 come wabbit season.

Now if only I could figure out posting pics on here.
View Quote
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_168/638569_Picture-posting-tutorial-and-PICTURE-test-thread.html

Don't panic when your pics don't display.  Just follow the tutorial; 3 Team Members have to approve your pics before they display.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

It looks significantly better in person, but I handmade these from blanks for the 1911 I built for my dad.

ETA: Completed 1911. Was built from an 80% frame that I bought, did almost all the work with a hand file, although I did a little with my dremel too, just don't have pictures of the work I did do.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/240418/IMG-0475-194977.JPG

It looks significantly better in person, but I handmade these from blanks for the 1911 I built for my dad.

ETA: Completed 1911. Was built from an 80% frame that I bought, did almost all the work with a hand file, although I did a little with my dremel too, just don't have pictures of the work I did do.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/240418/IMG-0502-194980.JPG
View Quote
That is awesome
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/240418/IMG-0475-194977.JPG

View Quote
That's pretty cool.  Unfortunately, the Dremel prize is already awarded & ordered.  Got any welding pics?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Good onya and Congrats Backbencher! Many happy Years.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Ahhh ARFCOM Love is best love.

Congrats and many spent rounds down range.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#18]
This deserves a bump. Congrats OP
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Granted it's not me, but a buddy converting an AK at his shop. Mostly since I haven't really shown this photo off. 

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#20]
If he wants a Flat Spot lower, have him post up.  No one's claimed it yet.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If he wants a Flat Spot lower, have him post up.  No one's claimed it yet.
View Quote
He's not a member and is out on a haul right now (trucker that owns a gun shop) mostly I was posting a welding pic.  Completely forgotten that I'd taken it. 

Btw, congrats again OP. 
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks, all.  We're still waiting on a bored welder, someone w/ an AR thumbhole stock, and someone w/ an AR57 upper.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks, all.  We're still waiting on a bored welder, someone w/ an AR thumbhole stock, and someone w/ an AR57 upper.
View Quote
All I've got is a small wire feed machine - I didn't take a finished pic after I fixed it on Saturday, but I welded up this Transfer case brace for my '91 K5, blasted it, and recoated it!
Attachment Attached File

@backbencher
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, post up a pic of your welder, and there will be a Flat Spot lower enroute.  You want small or large frame (though I have a theory the large could be cut to intermediate size)?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#25]

I don't have a picture of my welder at the moment, but this was my last real welding project. Weld your own bumper kits. And my Miller mig set up works awesome!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/j0xsY2P.jpg

I don't have a picture of my welder at the moment, but this was my last real welding project. Weld your own bumper kits. And my Miller mig set up works awesome!
View Quote
That anvil looks lonely. You should send it to me, it can be besties with my anvil.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That anvil looks lonely. You should send it to me, it can be besties with my anvil.
View Quote
HA, It is lonely but I'm ok with that. It comes in handy once every couple years.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, they know how to weld, and they know how to post pics - which one will post pics of his welder 1st?

So, for all you welders, post up a pic of your welding equipment and something you welded recently, and the first one who does so I'll send a Flat Spot lower to ya.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well, they know how to weld, and they know how to post pics - which one will post pics of his welder 1st?
View Quote
Off to the shop I went.

In all fairness, he did post first. But he didn't post anything welded, so your call on dibs.

Congrats on the wedding BTW!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#30]
sublimeshooter's got it then.  IM me an address and whether you want the long one or the short one - which brings up an inappropriate wedding song:

Steven Fromholz I Gave Her a Ring.m4v

You can thank @sample for bringing this jewel to my attention...
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#31]
IM sent.  This will be fun!  

And this prompted me to join the team again, so I can find this thread.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Flats ordered.  They're pretty good about getting them out quickly.  Look forward to your build.

Are you going to follow in Raider14's steampunk footsteps, or do more of a D-Rock43/Russ4777 build?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/648352_-ARCHIVED-THREAD----I-welded-together-a-steel-receiver-from-theflatspot-net--Update-6-11-Paint-Job-on-page-3.html
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:25:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Flats ordered.  They're pretty good about getting them out quickly.  Look forward to your build.

Are you going to follow in Raider14's steampunk footsteps, or do more of a D-Rock43/Russ4777 build?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/648352_-ARCHIVED-THREAD----I-welded-together-a-steel-receiver-from-theflatspot-net--Update-6-11-Paint-Job-on-page-3.html
View Quote
What would you like to see?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:40:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Raider's build is pretty damn neat. While I'm not trying to get a free rifle, I like what he's done with including the hive here for stuff and ideas.

I know that since this was a give away, I could choose on my own (so long as I meet the after requirements)... But in the spirit of fun, I encourage you to choose if I try and build it proper on my own or go raiders way and let arfcom help and participate.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:06:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Miller Tig.  Nothing too exciting, car stuff, gun stuff, target stands, trailers and stuff.  Mostly home hobby level.

Used it to build the modified frame horns to mount this 08 Road Armor bumper to an 04 Ford Excursion.  Fabbed and welded everything needed to convert the front end to the 08-2010 F250 style.

Spot welder for Bolt rails on 80% AK flat.

Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:18:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Updated OP w/ Sixtigers as the runner up for the Flat Spot lower, added end of contest rule.

Thanks to all the posters who have competed and the wellwishers in this thread.  I look forward to seeing a couple of alternative 80% builds.

sublimeshooter, there are 3 main ways to build the Flat Spot lower, all dealing w/ the buffer tube boss.  You can of course weld it or braze it; the buffer tube boss can be fully tapped, with the tap running 3 times as much as the flats themselves.  You can weld a castle nut in place, either on the rear of the boss, or recessed within it; or you can weld a 1" pipe in place, as Raider14 has done.  Any will work.

I don't know what your machining abilities are, which will probably determine the course you take.  Raider14 chose not to drill even the safety detent hole, so he doesn't have a working safety.  But you can still drill the safety detent hole, and choose to weld a pipe on for the buffer tube.  Or you could choose to buy the Suomi drum adapter from the Flat Spot and weld that in place.  Completely up to you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#37]
It's a good thing my welder is on loan for as long as that took. They would have really been miffed if I knocked out both giveaways in my very first post ever and ARFCom, especially considering it was a link back to the Hi Point forum...

I need a new welder, I don't think my buddy is going to give mine back....
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:51:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:  It's a good thing my welder is on loan for as long as that took. They would have really been miffed if I knocked out both giveaways in my very first post ever and ARFCom, especially considering it was a link back to the Hi Point forum...

View Quote
Lol.  Snagged a 20% off Harbor Freight coupon from Da tonight, and we have a dryer outlet in the garage...
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:53:15 AM EDT
[#39]
There's still a chance for you to get a trigger jig, no one's posted pics of their AR5.7 upper or their AR thumbhole stock yet...
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Very Nice!

Also, Thanks for the FLATSPOT LOWER, which works well with a MiG Welder, I hope!
I know, it's the welder, not the machine!  

DO I still have your address?  

Is the Sinister gonna be the ring bearer?
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's a good thing my welder is on loan for as long as that took. They would have really been miffed if I knocked out both giveaways in my very first post ever and ARFCom, especially considering it was a link back to the Hi Point forum...

View Quote
Yes, stop sh!tting in someone else's sandbox
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/240418/IMG-0475-194977.JPG

View Quote
Which 80% frame is that? All the 80% frames I found are cut for beaver tail safeties and my next frame I'd like to do an A1 build.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 3:27:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:  Very Nice!

Also, Thanks for the FLATSPOT LOWER, which works well with a MiG Welder, I hope!
I know, it's the welder, not the machine!  

DO I still have your address?  

Is the Sinister gonna be the ring bearer?
View Quote
You're quite welcome.  If you lived in town, there would be a Sabre Defense Cav Arms Mk 2 lower with it - as a jig, of course.

Dunno.  You shouldn't - I keep drop shipping things to you.  MoleBombs.com won't ship to a non-billing address.  

The Sinister will be the ring bearer.  We're waiting for him to get out of school, then we're taking the dress to the seamstress, then over to Trinity Ordnance to check on my AR gas block wedding ring.

I ordered an AR15Mold.com mold kit today, so if I can pull it off, the door gifts will be plastic 80% lowers.  If not, I'll give away complete chocolate Title 1 firearms.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Attachment Attached File

So how does this thing work again?
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote
IM me your address.  When the box arrives, grab you a hacksaw and chop the back off the trigger jig 'til you can get the jig bolted into the stock.  Throw an upper on & you have a single shot rifle.  Throw an AR57 upper on and you have a 50 shot baby killing machine w/out a serial number.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/709384_Hera-thumbhole--AR57-upper--trigger-jig----22-LR-upper-test-fired-13-March.html
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Read the build thread again. Pass it on to the next guy, I don't have a .22 upper to play with and don't have the time to do what I want to do, which is a full fiberglass surround with integrated magwell.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Just to hopefully help the next guy I think this would work awesomely as a drop in trigger fixture for a fiberglass, carbon fiber, or with a tack welded mag well and front pin holder made from two solid bars with holes drilled in the sides to mount the front takedown pin.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Ok.  Will reedit the OP when I get home.  Complete.

I have thought about chopping a magwell off an EP Armory 80% plastic lower, and supergluing it to the trigger jig.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:13:54 PM EDT
[#50]
I have been thinking about braising one of these together but having problems finding info on it. Do you know if you can do the mod where you use a castle nut for the buffer tube threads if you braise it? I really need to pick up a welder at some point  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top