Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/24/2017 9:15:37 PM EDT
Seems I remember hearing that all matter and energy came into existence at the moment of the big bang. I understand that all natural laws (gravity, speed of light, etc) came into being at that same moment as well. Is that the current understanding?

Follow up: with the universe expanding, is what's outside of the universe what we would have found before the big bang, ie nothing?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Seems I remember hearing that all matter and energy came into existence at the moment of the big bang. I understand that all natural laws (gravity, speed of light, etc) came into being at that same moment as well. Is that the current understanding?

Follow up: with the universe expanding, is what's outside of the universe what we would have found before the big bang, ie nothing?
View Quote

Can we say that there was never matter before the Big Bang?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#2]
All I know about the universe is what I learned in GD.  And that is, "this one star is really big so God is real."  Learned it recently!
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All I know about the universe is what I learned in GD.  And that is, "this one star is really big so God is real."  Learned it recently!
View Quote
That thread had a lot of potential.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#4]
But where did you great void come from? How do even begin to understand something with no physical properties to observe?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
yes correct
 by defintion there is nothing outside of the universe not even nothing .... non existence
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Good book, read it when it first came out.  Late 80s I believe.

His more recent work builds on this and "jumps the shark" a bit when he claims how could God exist before the Big Bang because time and space did not yet exist.

LOL, silly human.  God does not require time anyore than Chuck Norris.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:40:09 PM EDT
[#8]
It all depends what you mean by 'beginning'

The physical universe we inhabit did not burst out of nothing, the situation is more analogous to particle decay, one particle splits into two and so two new entities are 'born' but something else existed before.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Consider: What we define as the Universe may be an exploding firecracker God lit and tossed aside just for shits and giggles.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#10]
In the beginning there was the dark matter.  There was no matter that mattered that was not found within the dark matter.  Then the singularity which was within the dark matter exploded upon the face of the dark matter and there was light.  And the light spread upon the face of the dark and it was good.  The first day.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In the beginning there was the dark matter.  There was no matter that mattered that was not found within the dark matter.  Then the singularity which was within the dark matter exploded upon the face of the dark matter and there was light.  And the light spread upon the face of the dark and it was good.  The first day.
View Quote
how there could be light on the first day of Creation when the sun was not created until the fourth day?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

how there could be light on the first day of Creation when the sun was not created until the fourth day?
View Quote
Most burning gasses create light, I am sure there was lots of gasses. Stars took a hell of a lot longer to form via gravity and start up a reaction than 4 days.  This thread is going to train wreck.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Light is a result of the interaction between mass and energy.  Many things produce light other than the sun.  Nuclear and chemical reactions for instance.  A TV.  The Millennium Falcon.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Light is a result of the interaction between mass and energy.  Many things produce light other than the sun.  Nuclear and chemical reactions for instance.  A TV.  The Millennium Falcon.
View Quote
The sun is a star. A star is a nuclear reaction, specifically fusion.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your not getting it.  A day is defined as a rotation of the Earth on its axis.  Therefore the Sun and Rotating Earth must simultaneously exist in a system for there to be a 24-hour day.  

The conditions didn't exist yet, so how was a day defined prior to that?  

It's sorta like one of those Star Trek continuity errors...Maybe Gene Roddenberry wrote the Bible!
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#16]
don't masturbate
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Your not getting it.  A day is defined as a rotation of the Earth on its axis.  Therefore the Sun and Rotating Earth must simultaneously exist in a system for there to be a 24-hour day.  

It's sorta like one of those Star Trek continuity errors...
View Quote
You know what you are doing and starting.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:04:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You see what I did there
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:06:56 PM EDT
[#20]
We can only see so far out in any direction due to the speed of light so we will never know.

We are in our own 15 billion light year bubble.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#21]
OP, I believe you are referring to the known universe.  With the vastness of what we don't know, my thought is there are "big bangs" happening out there all the time, just to far away for us to observe.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get it.  You are trapped within a cosmic box of your own making.  A day to the dark matter is like a thousand years.  A celestial rotation of one body around another is only one way of defining a day.  Who are we to decide what defines a day?  Perhaps in the beginning a day was simply not being dark any more.  The beginning of the universe may be as simple as I described it.  The Dark Matter was.  The Singularity was.  The Darkness was.  The ultimate Quantum Trinity.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#24]
... cannot begin to fathom or understand. It's best for me to not even try thinking about it
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Can we say that there was never matter before the Big Bang?
View Quote
What you can probably say is our understanding of "time" is very different from reality. Before and after likely aren't things when it comes to qus tum mechanics regarding space, time, matter, gravity, etc
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:12:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's sorta like one of those Star Trek continuity errors...Maybe Gene Roddenberry wrote the Bible!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

prove that the earth's 24 hour rotation has always been a constant, since its creation. 
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I love this concept that people have of some kind of "big bang".

There was nothing and then all of a sudden the universe magically created itself out of nothing.

LOL!

Well, at least it beats the idea that the universe is on the back of some big turtle.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#28]
God is outside the universe
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

There was nothing and then all of a sudden the universe magically created itself out of nothing.

LOL!

Well, at least it beats the idea that the universe is on the back of some big turtle.
View Quote
Any better ideas?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:27:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

prove that the earth's 24 hour rotation has always been a constant, since its creation. 
View Quote
I'm sure it hasn't.  Point is, we hadn't invented time yet.  Time is a human construct (seconds, minutes, hours, days, etc.)  So how could days be measured prior to our definition  of what a day is?

In Sci-FI or comic books, this is kown as Ret-conning.  Maybe Stan Lee wrote the bible instead of Gene Roddenberry?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#31]
My revelation was when I talked to a Physics guy who said, "under certain conditions, nothing can split into matter and anti matter".

It would explain how nothing before the big bang could have caused the existence of what we call matter.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

LOL!

View Quote
It is my understanding that the current theory is that it was not created out of "nothing".  Everything that currently exists always existed in a very small space that we have labeled  a singularity.  The big bang was the event of the singularity suddenly and rapidly expanding, which it is still doing.  We don't understand how that singularity came to be or what caused the "bang" yet and may never. The further we try to go back in time toward the event the weaker the traces become due to the speed of light.

Not saying anyone is asking you believe that, but in terms of the big bang theory, it was not created from "nothing".  Also I am in no way an astrophysicist.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We can only see so far out in any direction due to the speed of light so we will never know.

We are in our own 15 billion light year bubble.
View Quote
But due to the expansion of space that bubble is 93 billion light years across.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I get it.  You are trapped within a cosmic box of your own making.  A day to the dark matter is like a thousand years.  A celestial rotation of one body around another is only one way of defining a day.  Who are we to decide what defines a day?  Perhaps in the beginning a day was simply not being dark any more.  The beginning of the universe may be as simple as I described it.  The Dark Matter was.  The Singularity was.  The Darkness was.  The ultimate Quantum Trinity.
View Quote
See my last response above about Ret-conning.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:30:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't care.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My revelation was when I talked to a Physics guy who said, "under certain conditions, nothing can split into matter and anti matter".

It would explain how nothing before the big bang could have caused the existence of what we call matter.
View Quote
Matter can materialize out of the vacuum of space.... but only for an extremely short (unobservable) period of time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don't care.
View Quote
Than find another thread you do care about and contribute there?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#38]
BB theory came about because E. Hubble was looking at quasar red-shift & that was/is erroneously attributed to objects moving away from us.

rewind 14billion years = BB

Halton Arp (his understudy) corrected this to describe AGE of a quasar not trajectory = no BB
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#40]
I would love to own a White Castle franchise during the dinosaur era. 
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#41]
I take it that it simply repeats, bang, expands, gravity pulls it all back, critical mass, bang....and so on... just takes forever to cycle...somebody once speculated that our whole universe could be in a jar on a shelf in someones closet... makes my head hurt.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It is my understanding that the current theory is that it was not created out of "nothing".  Everything that currently exists always existed in a very small space that we have labeled  a singularity.  The big bang was the event of the singularity suddenly and rapidly expanding, which it is still doing.  We don't understand how that singularity came to be or what caused the "bang" yet and may never. The further we try to go back in time toward the event the weaker the traces become due to the speed of light.

Not saying anyone is asking you believe that, but in terms of the big bang theory, it was not created from "nothing".  Also I am in no way an astrophysicist.
View Quote
I have always thought about a black hole condensing mass to the point where it causes a singularity that tears into another dimension or creating a new universe. Kind of like a multiverse but a little different.

Another possibility is a super massive black hole that creates a singularity that destroys it. IE the big bang. Eventually reforming and consuming all matter again and repeating the process. Some how I believe black holes explain something about the creation of our universe.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#43]
We are one of an infinite number of universes floating like bubbles in a cosmic champaign of not-even nothing.

Could we actually find evidence for the multiverse? | Pionic - pionic.org
https://pionic.org/could-we-actually-find-evidence-for-the-multiverse

Or a simulation

Or a fluke

Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I take it that it simply repeats, bang, expands, gravity pulls it all back, critical mass, bang....and so on... just takes forever to cycle...somebody once speculated that our whole universe could be in a jar on a shelf in someones closet... makes my head hurt.
View Quote
Except that the uinverse is expanding, not gravitationally contracting....

But the whole jar on a shelf, yeah.  Who really knows?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:59:54 PM EDT
[#45]
When the answer to a question is unknowable, you might as well accept the answer that makes you happy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
The real answer is that we don't know how the universe came into being.  The evidence for a big bang is kind of flimsy when you really look at it. Background noise and that the universe seems to be expanding is all there is.   The idea that all the matter in this enormous universe blossomed out of something the size of a pinhead where the laws of physics didn't even exist is even more preposterous when you think about it.  

Words like "singularity" are made up words to to give credibility to things we can't explain.  

I have no idea how the universe came into existence.  However, I doubt it magically created itself out of nothing, which is exactly what the big bang theory postulates.  

Maybe one of these days we will figure it out but not today.  Probably the human race will die out before we have an answer to that question.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:10:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not as I understand it. Various laws became locked in place at various points in time following the initial "blast". Those points being VERY shortly after, as in infinitesimally tiny fractions of a second. None the less, this is important. For an overview:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_the_universe#Very_early_universe
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:12:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Hawking is a fucking retarded fucking idiot.  With a bad accent.

That said, astronomy is fascinating.  

Wheelchair boy just makes shit up.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Even we puny humans no longer define time in terms of days (revolutions of the Earth about its spin axis).  It is measured in terms of the period of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the cesium 133 atom.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top