Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2017 1:06:08 PM EDT
A man who called the NYPD for help after a car accident on the FDR Drive was killed as he waited for them — but they never showed, a lawsuit alleges.

Thomas Sauickie Jr., 31, of Hazlet, NJ, was with his wife, Tracie, and young daughter in January 2016 when their car collided with another near East 42nd Street.

Multiple calls were made to cops reporting the 5 p.m. accident, but officers never showed, Sauickie’s family claims in a negligence lawsuit filed against the city, the NYPD and the FDNY in Manhattan federal court.

Nearly 2¹/2 hours later, the still-waiting Sauickie was fatally struck by a car

Link
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, such detail from the NY post.

Anyone else involved?  How bad was the wreck?   Was anyone injured in the initial accident?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Supreme Court says that the cops have no duty to protect . Lawsuit goes nowhere.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Supreme Court says that the cops have no duty to protect . Lawsuit goes nowhere.
View Quote
This is true.  They don't have an obligation to protect individuals (as in being responsible for you as a person).
Which is odd, considering they won't protect you as a person, but forbid you from owning a weapon to protect yourself.

Very fucky indeed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep. Some anti-authority types want less government, here you go.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Cops showing up would have prevented another car from crashing into him?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I am never even next to my car after an accident, if I can't get on the shoulder I walk away far as possible and off the road
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cops showing up would have prevented another car from crashing into him?
View Quote
Yeah because the accident would have been cleared,  and he wouldn't have been wandering around in the road.  I got stuck sitting behind an MVA for over an hour waiting for the PD who's jurisdiction it was to home handle their accident.   After the 5th call from my Desk Officer he was tokd, "They don't know where you're taking about".  At that point I just said fuck it, and wrote the report..,and got my ass chewed out for it...partly because I did a report out if town, and partly because I got on SPEN  (multi agency emergency freq)  And described the Pulaski Skyway to Newark PD since they were apparently unfamiliar with the oldest raised highway in the state.  Another time, with  one of my guys staying waiting for Newark, went so far as to DO the report FOR him....tells the NPD guy, I was bored, merry Christmas.   The guy had the balls to tell him " We can only do them in blue ink, this is black....you need to do it over "
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#8]
After the report was taken, everyone would have gotten taxis home... so yeah.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Didn't read the article but sounds like they didn't need medical attention initially.

Exchange information and get the fuck off the road. I HATE taking property damage-only accident reports. People get a scratch on their clapped-out POS that they'll never actually get fixed will wait an hour for you to get there just so they can "get paid."

Fucking waste of my time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I always assumed fire/police never have had an obligation to respond to anything or help anyone.

They do show up when called of course, on purpose, frequently, it's their job, and it's sure nice to see a police officer or a fireman when you need one.  But are they actually REQUIRED by law to respond to a call?  EVERY call?  REQUIRED to arrive before a certain time?  REQUIRED to act a certain way when they get there?  REQUIRED to render a specific service?  Is all of that provisioned legally?  I don't see how they can actually be so stringently required to do those things, they're not omnipresent.

Seems like a gropey ambulance chaser type lawsuit situation to me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I always assumed fire/police never have had an obligation to respond to anything or help anyone.

They do show up when called of course, on purpose, frequently, it's their job, and it's sure nice to see a police officer or a fireman when you need one.  But are they actually REQUIRED by law to respond to a call?  EVERY call?  REQUIRED to arrive before a certain time?  REQUIRED to act a certain way when they get there?  REQUIRED to render a specific service?  Is all of that provisioned legally?  I don't see how they can actually be so stringently required to do those things, they're not omnipresent.

Seems like a gropey ambulance chaser type lawsuit situation to me.
View Quote
Maybe however maybe they should be required to tell the person if they are coming or not. Not just have someone sit there and wait/wonder if someone is going to show up.

Don't know the specifics of this case but if I got into a fender bender I would have to wait for the Cops since I drive a company truck. Would suck to just be sitting there waiting and not knowing if someone was going to come.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I doubt the fdny was notified of the accident.  We respond all the time to car accidents.  And lately it has been whether there are injuries or not.  Our response is undoubtedly better then the nypd.  I have come across property damage accidents waiting 6 hours for the nypd to show up.

The nypd response for highway boxes is seriously lacking.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#13]
At least 2.5 hours to respond in NYC to a vehicle accident with zero injuries (yet) during rush hour?

K.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
At least 2.5 hours to respond in NYC to a vehicle accident with zero injuries (yet) during rush hour?

K.
View Quote
Newark won't even show up
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am never even next to my car after an accident, if I can't get on the shoulder I walk away far as possible and off the road
View Quote
This . I have learned this over and over in nyc . I dont care if im in sunset park brooklyn of Washington hights nyc . Take your keys and walk away. Wait far away. Nyc is a bunch of driving idiots. They stare at the accident untill they hit you .
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

K.
Don't get me started on Newark stories
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
For property damage accidents they shouldn't need to.  Exchange information, fill out the state accident paperwork yourself and get on with your life.  The cops aren't going to do anything different than I would at a fender bender.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For property damage accidents they shouldn't need to.  Exchange information, fill out the state accident paperwork yourself and get on with your life.  The cops aren't going to do anything different than I would at a fender bender.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is exactly what happened in the article in the OP.

(Simple accident)
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

(Simple accident)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(Simple accident)
Dispatch should just tell them to exchange and get on with their lives.  Hell, I'm willing to bet that a larger percentage of the reports that people want cops to do could be handled by a web site.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#20]
If the dispatcher told him that help was on the way they have established a contract (privity) and have liability.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Didn't read the article but sounds like they didn't need medical attention initially.

Exchange information and get the fuck off the road. I HATE taking property damage-only accident reports. People get a scratch on their clapped-out POS that they'll never actually get fixed will wait an hour for you to get there just so they can "get paid."

View Quote
In my state a police report is required for damage over $700. At least that was the threshold 15 years ago it might have changed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:03:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I doubt the fdny was notified of the accident.  We respond all the time to car accidents.
View Quote
We responded to accidents on the LIE, the Grand Central, and the Cross Island.

Cops would take forever to get there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Dispatch should just tell them to exchange and get on with their lives.  Hell, I'm willing to bet that a larger percentage of the reports that people want cops to do could be handled by a web site.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(Simple accident)
But thats not community policing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Meh.  Back in the '90s our call volume was such that when folks got into an accident and just had to have a police report, they'd take turns staying on the scene to wait for us.  A day wasn't unusual, and I worked one where we didn't get there for two days.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
leave an accident scene here in AZ no matter how miner can lead you to getting slapped with hit and run.
You are legally required to "bring the man into your life".
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#26]
He should have said he thought he saw a gun nearby.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
He should have said he thought he saw a gun nearby.
View Quote
Was that a muffler backfiring??
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
leave an accident scene here in AZ no matter how miner can lead you to getting slapped with hit and run.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not according to AZ law.  The only mandatory reporting to LE is when someone is killed or injured.

28-662. Accidents involving damage to vehicle; failure to stop; classification; driver license suspension; alcohol or other drug screening

A. The driver of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to a vehicle that is driven or attended by a person shall:

1. Immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident or as close to the accident scene as possible but shall immediately return to the accident scene.

2. Remain at the scene of the accident until the driver has fulfilled the requirements of section 28-663.

3. Make the stop without obstructing traffic more than is necessary.

B. A person failing to stop or comply with this section is guilty of a class 2 misdemeanor.

C. A court may order the department to suspend the license or permit to drive and any nonresident operating privilege of a person convicted under this section for one year. If reasonable suspicion exists to believe that the person's use of intoxicating liquor, any drug listed in section 13-3401, a vapor releasing substance containing a toxic substance or any combination of liquor, drugs or vapor releasing substances was a contributing factor to the accident, the department may require the person to complete alcohol or other drug screening as a condition of license reinstatement.
28-663. Duty to give information and assistance; classification; alcohol or other drug screening

A. The driver of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury to or death of a person or damage to a vehicle that is driven or attended by a person shall:

1. Give the driver's name and address and the registration number of the vehicle the driver is driving.

2. On request, exhibit the person's driver license to the person struck or the driver or occupants of or person attending a vehicle collided with.

3. Render reasonable assistance to a person injured in the accident, including making arrangements for the carrying of the person to a physician, surgeon or hospital for medical or surgical treatment if it is apparent that treatment is necessary or if the carrying is requested by the injured person.

B. A person who fails to comply with subsection A, paragraph 1 or 2 of this section is guilty of a class 3 misdemeanor.

C. A person who fails to comply with subsection A, paragraph 3 of this section is guilty of a class 6 felony. If the court finds by a preponderance of the evidence that the person's use of intoxicating liquor, any drug listed in section 13-3401, a vapor releasing substance containing a toxic substance or any combination of liquor, drugs or vapor releasing substances was a contributing factor to the accident, the court shall order the person to complete alcohol or other drug screening.
Heck, if you hit a car that is empty, the law says you have to leave a note:

A. The driver of a vehicle that collides with a vehicle that is unattended shall immediately:

1. Stop.

2. Either:

(a) Locate and notify the operator or owner of the vehicle of the name and address of the driver and owner of the vehicle striking the unattended vehicle.

(b) In a conspicuous place in the vehicle struck, leave a written notice giving the name and address of the driver and of the owner of the vehicle doing the striking.

B. A person who violates this section is guilty of a class 3 misdemeanor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top