Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#1]
5.0, I've owned both.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I fix the mid to early 2k, 5.4 Triton's with blown out plugs all the time. They have kits to repair them pretty quick and easily. That said I hate the 5.4 tritons. I don't know much about the 5.0l or the redesign of the 5.4l. I do know I don't fix any of the newer 5.4l's though. I am assuming the redesign is working.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

my 2004 5.4 2WD got 16mpg highway @ 70mph, maybe 18 with a tail wind.  I hand calculated it.  

Cam phasers were an issue for some years, but I'm not sure if that was ever fixed.
View Quote
Never fixed. I should know, I did the fucking phasers on my 2010. 

If it were me and I were buying a v8, it would be the 5.0. Its not quite an apples to apples comparison, but I drove a 2016 5.0 before buying my current 2016 with the 3.5L and they were light years apart. 5.0 sounds better to boot. 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a 2010 F150 with the 4.6 3V engine.  I really like the truck.  I get a consistent combined 18mpg although a good portion of my driving is highway driving.  No one with a 5.4 is getting 24mpg except going down hill!  

I've seen ecoboost trucks getting 22mpg on the highway.  I think my next truck will be an ecoboost.  I can get the same truck with the 5.0 cheaper though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:45:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Am I correct in assuming a 2011 EcoBoost with 150K is probably not a smart idea?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Am I correct in assuming a 2011 EcoBoost with 150K is probably not a smart idea?
View Quote
from what i hear 150k miles is when ford recommends for the turbo to be replaced
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd go with the 5.0 and wouldn't even look at a 4.6 or 5.4 if it were me. The old Tritons were gas hungry pigs without the power to justify their consumption. The new Coyote 5.0 outclasses them in every way.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would go with the 10 5.4. Search will reveal 11s and 12s were troublesome. I have owned  2 5.4s. First went over 300k then traded. Current work truck is a 10 super crew 4x4 xlt 5.4 127k and going strong. I would not trade my 10 for an 11 or 12. Thats just my opinion.
View Quote
I've got a 2011 5.0 for a company issued truck. 240k miles and the only issue it's had was an alternator at around 120k or so.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My 13 XLT has a center console.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My main concern with the XLT is the center console seat thing. I like center consoles, not flip forward seats. How annoying is that?

Also, hows the stereo? Decent?
My 13 XLT has a center console.
Or just swap it yourself. These are a direct bolt in.

https://www.google.com/search?q=f150+xlt+console&oq=f150+stx+conso&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.7258j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=f150+xlt+console&safe=off&tbm=shop&spd=4612443300655008020
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Damn dude.
View Quote
It's a BS claim based off the instant mpg feature on the dash which is about as accurate as a love meter at a dive bar. My 15 is 800lbs lighter with a more efficient engine and I don't get that average living in a mostly flat state.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had a 2001 f150 with 5.4

never towed anything with it but it ran, it cooked its oil seals and started leaking oil.

The later 5.4s were known to have great difficulty removing bad spark plugs but there is a tool kit from lisle that makes it easier.

They are underpowered compared to a modern engine but parts are cheap and readily available.

Fuel economy is about 14 on HWY.

If you are gonna tow think about getting an F250 with a 6.0 powerstroke.
View Quote
You mean if he wants to tow his truck around? Every single person I have known with a 6.0 (which is more than a dozen of various years) had multiple major issues with them even after "bullet proofing". There's a reason they are the cheapest diesel on the used market and the older 7.3 carries a premium over them. I would not touch one with a 10' pole.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had both. 2011 model is a step up from 2010 in several ways. 5.0 motor is a different breed when compared to the 5.4 among other benefits. Also, my XLT has a console if that's a big deal to you. Not an expensive swap
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:31:15 PM EDT
[#13]

2013 5.0
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:36:47 PM EDT
[#14]
The 5.4 was a good truck motor. The 5.0 would be my choice though. They are pretty damn impressive engines and will do whatever you ask of it.

It's a dual overhead cam design and it likes to rev. It won't chug along pulling a trailer at 2k rpms, it likes to wind up. That's what it was designed to do, and it will do a good job with whatever you ask of it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I dont disagree smart guy. Over a long trip the display is pretty accurate on my truck. Fuck yeah i can hit the reset going 65 on flat land and get an instant reading of 35mpg. I guess you are the only smart guy on the web that can track mileage and refuels. Go figure.
View Quote
Well did you check it by hand? There's literally no way you got 27mpg in That pig.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well did you check it by hand? There's literally no way you got 27mpg in That pig.
View Quote
Yes. Never said 27. Best i could do was 24 or a little better on highway under 70 no ac 5 hr drive to ft campbell tires at 40psi. Now granted i was trying for it to see what it could do. Mixed driving i can go 600 or a little better. Mix + ac + idle time still have never gotten under around 525ish. Over the life of me having the truck i would rate it in 16 to 19 mpg range. Still stand by my statement that I CAN get the 24mpg or better straight highway under 70 trying for it.   EDIT. I would like to add the winter time mileage is usually around 575 with mix + a good bit of idle time on jobsites ect.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:13:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My main concern with the XLT is the center console seat thing. I like center consoles, not flip forward seats. How annoying is that?

Also, hows the stereo? Decent?  
View Quote
VERY annoying.

Between my Lariat with a real console and my XLT with the flip forward center seat the cup holders in the back of the center seat drives me bonkers some times.  I much prefer the console over the flip forward just because the cup holders in the console are down low and forwards while the center seat folded down puts the cup holders at shoulder height and back.  Just where my elbow can knock things out.

You might look for XLTs that have the real center console option in place of the center seat.  It isn't the same as the Lariat's flow-through console but it's a ton better than the center seat.  I don't recall what year Ford quit producing those consoles but 11s and 12s just might have them.

Stereos on the XLT is decent and the Lariat is just a more features version.  Things like volume control and station tuning controls on the steering wheel, which is nice.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just did mine (2010 F150) at 56,000 miles.  It was easy.  From what I've read the problems were with the earlier 3 valve engines and Ford redesigned the plugs on the later 3v 5.4s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ever tried changing the plugs on the 5.4? Major PITA
I just did mine (2010 F150) at 56,000 miles.  It was easy.  From what I've read the problems were with the earlier 3 valve engines and Ford redesigned the plugs on the later 3v 5.4s.
Yep they changed the design in 2009, I have an 09 and a 10 and changed both sets this year. Easy to get to and didn't strip anything!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had both. 5.4 pulled my 21 foot center console very well but wasn't fast by any means.  The 4.6 would outrun the 5.4 but wouldn't pull the boat faster than 45 mph. My 2011 XLT Super Crew 4x4 with the 5.0 pulls the boat just as well and is a speed demon compared to the 5.4. To me,  the 5.0 balanced out the best of both.

BTW,  I'm putting the truck on the market for sale tomorrow.  It has 90,000 miles with a true center console. I'm 7 miles from NC off of I-95 in SC. IM if you're interested
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#20]
5.0....no question
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No fucking way are you getting 24 mpg at 65 mph in a ford pickup with a 5.4 engine. I'm sorry but that is total bullshit.
View Quote
+1 this dude is FOS
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yes. Never said 27. Best i could do was 24 or a little better on highway under 70 no ac 5 hr drive to ft campbell tires at 40psi. Now granted i was trying for it to see what it could do. Mixed driving i can go 600 or a little better. Mix + ac + idle time still have never gotten under around 525ish. Over the life of me having the truck i would rate it in 16 to 19 mpg range. Still stand by my statement that I CAN get the 24mpg or better straight highway under 70 trying for it.   EDIT. I would like to add the winter time mileage is usually around 575 with mix + a good bit of idle time on jobsites ect.
View Quote
Still not buying it. 5 hr drive with a constant 30 mph tailwind, with mirrors tucked in, bald rock hard tires, still wouldn't buy it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Still not buying it. 5 hr drive with a constant 30 mph tailwind, with mirrors tucked in, bald rock hard tires, still wouldn't buy it.
View Quote
Of course not this is GD. I consider myself a pretty honest person. What do i gain by lying. Did my previous 5.4 get that mpg NO way. This particular truck does excellent.  This truck also by the seat of my ass runs better than most 5.4s i have driven which has also been noted by people that have ridden in it. Those are my observations about my truck. Call me a liar or full of shit I will keep on driving it and you can keep on being butthurt.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Of course not this is GD. I consider myself a pretty honest person. What do i gain by lying. Did my previous 5.4 get that mpg NO way. This particular truck does excellent.  This truck also by the seat of my ass runs better than most 5.4s i have driven which has also been noted by people that have ridden in it. Those are my observations about my truck. Call me a liar or full of shit I will keep on driving it and you can keep on being butthurt.
View Quote
Ok, you're full of shit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I got a 4x4 2012 xlt with the 5.0 last year and it's a very nice truck. I have three kids, so I like the bench seat innhe front. The Bluetooth and radio control on the steering wheel are handy.

I get about 15.5 mpg around the island. That includes a decent amount of warm up time in the winter. We only have about 40 miles of road and the highest speed limit is 55 for a mile or two so I can't say much about highway mpg until we drive th FL this summer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, your outrageous mpg claim is making us butthurt.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#27]
/thread
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Drove a few fleet 5.4s back in the mid to late 2000s. Nothing to write home about. I currently drive a 2015 5.0, also nothing special. My guess is the current 5.0 is going to be more reliable long term, but I don't think it is a bigger step up from three older 5.4 than any other truck has advanced it's V8 tech since 2000.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#29]
351/400M
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:09:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
There's something wrong with your math because you're saying you're getting 600 miles out of a tank which is 34 MAYBE 35 gallons..

So that's 600/34=17.6 mpg.   Which is COMPLETELY BELIEVABLE and what I got all the time when mine was brand new.

Then you say in the winter its 575/34=16.9 which is again right on the numbers.

But at some point in the mythical past you drove for 5 hours at 70 mph "just to see what it could do" and it returned a purported 24 mpg. Which would mean that you had a useable maximum range of 24*35=840 miles.

As an owner who has played around with mileage tricks extensively and never saw over 23 mpg in best case conditions for one tank (flat, 50mph, hypermiling tricks) that is patently ridiculous under the conditions you have stated.

Can someone reset the mpg indicator and coast/draft/trick it to display inaccurately high values temporarily? Yes, easily.  If that's what you're basing your "mileage" on you should know that it's not accurate and can be easily manipulated over short distances.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top