BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/23/2017 3:18:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:21:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm curious about this as well.  Weird how GD often reads my mind.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:22:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I always assumed it was a switch they flipped.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:26:54 AM EDT
[#3]
like this?

Tips and Tricks For Jake Brake Use in Big Rigs

Theory and Operation of The Jake Brake Engine Brake
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:27:59 AM EDT
[#4]
You can turn the engine brake on/off with a toggle switch.

When activated, they engage when you let off the accelerator.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:28:04 AM EDT
[#5]
They flip a switch.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:28:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Yup....it's just a on/off switch that is flipped. There is a jake brake...which you are hearing. Some are muffled and you can barely hear them...and others are loud as hell. There is also an exhaust brake which is different. Someone will be along and get in better detail about them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:29:06 AM EDT
[#7]
There's not much to it. Generally when you have it switched on it activates when you're rolling with the transmission in gear and you don't have your feet on the clutch or accelerator. The purpose being to slow the truck if you're going down a steep mountain grade. Otherwise you could burn up your brakes while you continue to gain speed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:30:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not a trucker so I may not be 100% correct.

From my understanding, a jake brake uses an engine valve to release the cylinder's compression to reduce the piston's rebound from the potential compressed air. In a gas engine, engine braking means the piston is compressing the air but then the compressed air pushing the piston down after top dead center. A jake brake prevents that. The loud popping is the compressed air being released.

I believe the jake brake is just switches, and there are varying degrees that the jake brake can engaged.

Again, I could be wrong somewhere in this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:33:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Joey Cruz on Jake Brakes.

Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:34:44 AM EDT
[#10]
It's an exhaust thing. Not really sure how it exactly works, but if you have your engine/exhaust brake switch on (usually has three settings; low/mid/high braking), it will use the engine compression slow you down. Like I said, not exactly sure how it works, and I have been driving trucks now for over five years. All I know is that it's nice to have a strong engine braking system when descending steep grades..saves on brake wear. When driving on ice you need to turn it off, or put it on the lowest setting because your drive tires will start sliding if you have a strong brake. I usually leave mine on low when loaded, and turn it off when empty when driving on snow or ice. But when it's really bad, I'm creeping along at a speed where I try not to using any braking.

Now as to the noise, those peterbilts and kenworth trucks may have after market exhausts that make it louder. My Peterbilt is not loud, but has a decent engine brake.

My new Dodge Ram 3500 has an engine brake also, which is nice.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:36:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's an exhaust thing. Not really sure how it exactly works, but if you have your engine/exhaust brake switch on (usually has three settings; low/mid/high braking), it will use the engine compression slow you down. Like I said, not exactly sure how it works, and I have been driving trucks now for over five years. All I know is that it's nice to have a strong engine braking system when descending steep grades..leaves on brake wear. When driving on ice you need to turn it off, or put it on the lowest setting because your drive tires will start sliding if you have a strong brake. I usually leave mine on low when loaded, and turn it off when empty when driving on snow or ice. But when it's really bad, I'm creeping along at a speed where I try not to using any braking.

Now as to the noise, those peterbilts and kenworth trucks may have after market exhausts that make it louder. My Peterbilt is not loud, but has a decent engine brake.

View Quote
They are really nice when hauling very heavy loads as well.  It really helped when I was hauling bridge beams at roughly 108k lbs, in an old Mack daycab and tri-axle lowboy.  That was a bit dicey.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:47:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They are really nice when hauling very heavy loads as well.  It really helped when I was hauling bridge beams at roughly 108k lbs, in an old Mack daycab and tri-axle lowboy.  That was a bit dicey.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's an exhaust thing. Not really sure how it exactly works, but if you have your engine/exhaust brake switch on (usually has three settings; low/mid/high braking), it will use the engine compression slow you down. Like I said, not exactly sure how it works, and I have been driving trucks now for over five years. All I know is that it's nice to have a strong engine braking system when descending steep grades..leaves on brake wear. When driving on ice you need to turn it off, or put it on the lowest setting because your drive tires will start sliding if you have a strong brake. I usually leave mine on low when loaded, and turn it off when empty when driving on snow or ice. But when it's really bad, I'm creeping along at a speed where I try not to using any braking.

Ya, when I started with this company I was running Rocky Mountain double fuel tanks. In Wyoming we are permitted for 117k lbs, and the tractor we had for that was a nice day-cab 13spd Freightliner with a DD15 motor. That truck had a very strong engine brake, much better then our old 10spd Freightliners with the DD13 motors. Always hated running that set with a 10spd DD13 due to power and braking. Now we have Peterbilts with the Paccar motors and only pull a single trailer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:31:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is how it works.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:47:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's an exhaust thing. Not really sure how it exactly works, but if you have your engine/exhaust brake switch on (usually has three settings; low/mid/high braking), it will use the engine compression slow you down. Like I said, not exactly sure how it works, and I have been driving trucks now for over five years. All I know is that it's nice to have a strong engine braking system when descending steep grades..saves on brake wear. When driving on ice you need to turn it off, or put it on the lowest setting because your drive tires will start sliding if you have a strong brake. I usually leave mine on low when loaded, and turn it off when empty when driving on snow or ice. But when it's really bad, I'm creeping along at a speed where I try not to using any braking.

View Quote
Your Dodge has an exhaust brake, not an engine brake.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:49:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Complete let off usually.

You can leave the switch on all the time if you just ease off the throttle and slow down normally.  To really use the jake brake you Just slide the foot off to the left quickly

It's a bunch of wires and solenoid in the valve covers.   Keeps the valves shut with loss of throttle input.  Thus using engine compression to supplement the wheels brakes

on 95 or the like roads it can be enough to slow down without touching brakes...not many hills on 95

Sucks to use at slow speeds.   Really jerks the shit out of the truck.   Turn switch off
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:23:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Dodge has an exhaust brake. Similar in principle but less effective than a true engine (jake) brake. Exhaust brakes simply restrict the flow of exhaust at or just behind the turbocharger. A true jake brake actually changes valve timing to help slow the vehicle down. Both are generally activated by a switch on the dashboard and only begin working once you let off the accelerator. 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Trucks Jake Brakes are a long handle mounted to the roof of the cab.

When going down steep inclined highways [or when annoying folks] the handle is pulled and a linkage connected to a large air compressor clutch, connects the compressor  to the power train driveshaft.

This charges up the air brake tanks for extra safety and when they're fully charged, air is released making the loud noise.

Some trucks are equipped with diverter valves that redirect the compressed air into the truck's engine muffler system, altho with the advent of modern O2 sensors in the exhaust, this is avoided due to potential damage to them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Just a flip of the toggle switch. I rarely used mine unless on a big long downgrade. Downshifting and the regular brake pedal worked just fine 99 percent of the time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This is how it works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is how it works.
Engaging the clutch will also deactivate it.

Shifting with it on can be a bitch until you get a good feel for the truck.stopping without it also sucks if you are loaded.... basically stop n go traffic sucks balls with a loaded truck.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Some cities have ordnances against use within the city limits....I wouldnt mind one on my F550.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Can also come in handy when starting from a stop up a grade, or when you want to drag race yer buddy off the line.

Maybe a little more info would help here.

A semi-truck transmission isn't like your car, you can't just slam it in whatever gear you want like your Subaru, your engine speed must match your road speed.

So when you accelerate and are upshifting in between gears, the engine speed slows to match the next gear, depending on the rig that takes time and you are also losing road speed, in order to make the engine speed slow quicker and thus be able to shift faster you leave your jake brake on.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Some cities have ordnances against use within the city limits....I wouldnt mind one on my F550.
View Quote
If I'm loaded I don't care where I'm at or what time of day it is. The jake brake is on if I'm trying to slow down or stop.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#23]
My only experience with air brakes and jake brakes are on a dump truck I rented for a job last year. Squeaked by just under requirement for CDL (I think low 20,000's lbs, single axle?) and I wasn't warned it'd have the braking features. I only drove it for about 60 miles, but the jake brakes helped on the freeway in traffic.

Bigger issue was trying to stop in town. I even think about touching the brake and the truck jerks to a stop. Took a bit of getting used to in order to avoid that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is how it works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is how it works.
Some are setup to not engage until you touch the service brakes. I've always disabled this feature because I want the jakes to come on when I let off the accelerator.

The guys that don't use them usually fall into one of the following categories:

Truck doesn't have jakes

Jakes don't work

They don't have to pay for repairs and don't care how fast they wear a set of brakes out. some of these guys will also just pop the trans in neutral and ride the brakes up to the stop sign.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

When going down steep inclined highways [or when annoying folks] the handle is pulled and a linkage connected to a large air compressor clutch, connects the compressor  to the power train driveshaft.

This charges up the air brake tanks for extra safety and when they're fully charged, air is released making the loud noise.

Some trucks are equipped with diverter valves that redirect the compressed air into the truck's engine muffler system, altho with the advent of modern O2 sensors in the exhaust, this is avoided due to potential damage to them.
View Quote
Wut?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#26]
We have them on our all of our pumpers at the FD. Just a switch on the dash that stays on unless the roads are wet. I remember overheating brakes on the way to a call with the older engines. Jake brakes have eliminated that issue. Ours engage automatically when you let off the accelerator. I'm not sure how it works in semis with a standard transmission since all of our trucks are Allison automatics,
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I use my Jake brake to scrub off a few MPH without touching the brakes. Since only the drive axles are being braked it's not a good idea to use it in wet or slippery conditions.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Some are setup to not engage until you touch the service brakes. I've always disabled this feature because I want the jakes to come on when I let off the accelerator.

The guys that don't use them usually fall into one of the following categories:

Truck doesn't have jakes

Jakes don't work

They don't have to pay for repairs and don't care how fast they wear a set of brakes out. some of these guys will also just pop the trans in neutral and ride the brakes up to the stop sign.
View Quote
Mine does this if the cruise control is on. Doesn't have to be set, just on.  My last truck wouldn't let you use the cruise if the windshield wipers were on

I leave the Jakes on at most times, especially now that I'm in an automatic.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#29]
If loaded I will run mine on the lowest setting in traffic if the jam is on a downhill just to keep me from gaining speed. My truck is straight piped so I avoid using the jakes anywhere in town. They are extremely handy, when you get comfortable I can run the truck down to almost a complete stop without using brakes.

It's just a switch on the dash, or in a truck like mine the switch is on the 18spd shifter.

I leave mine on upshifting also to get the rpms back down as fast as possible when floating shifts.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Lots of similar systems but a true Jacobs Engine Brake uses the work required to compress the air in the cylinder to slow the truck down. When the cylinder is at top on the compression stroke, a solenoid pops the exhaust valve off the seat and dumps the compressed air into the exhaust with no fuel being applied. The rigs that rattle the windows are like the "look at me Harley riders" Straight pipes with no mufflers. No benefit except to piss off the public.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Huh?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Know how I know you write Al Gore's speeches.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I have an exhaust brake on my 2016 Colorado Duramax.  I so want to try it, but I think I have to be towing something for it to work.  Will dig into the manual some day to see.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#34]
On current engines..for example Detroit power the general public will never hear them, they are very quiet.  On automated manual trucks the engine brake might be activated if you are running cruise control to maintain a preset following distance.  If you are not in cruise control you can manually activate by pulling down on the shift handle.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Congratulations, you clearly have zero idea of what you are talking about.  Don't forget your yellow helmet before you get on the short bus.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I always assumed it was a switch they flipped.  
View Quote
You mean like the one on the dash that says "Engine Brake"?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Huh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?
I'm glad I wasn't the only one scratching my head on that one...

I always ran my jakes full strength. Unless fresh wet road or snow/ice. Loved them, I think the loudest ones I ever used was on a dump truck with one of the 6 speed autos. I really loved that one. People would get the fukk outta the way. lol
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Jakes are a lot more fun with straight pipes.

I had a 3 stage Jake, with a brake saver.  

It was in a 359 with a B model Cat, 15-over, 3.55s, tall 24s.  It would go and stop like a mofo!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yup....it's just a on/off switch that is flipped. There is a jake brake...which you are hearing. Some are muffled and you can barely hear them...and others are loud as hell. There is also an exhaust brake which is different. Someone will be along and get in better detail about them.  
View Quote
Every truck I drove had two Jake Brake selections; LOW and HIGH.  That makes the difference on whether it's loud or quite, with either half cylinders or all cylinders on the engine being used to engine brake the truck.

I would switch back and forth between HIGH and LOW when going down long grades like Fancy Gap on I-77 at the NC/VA state line to maintain my speed.  HIGH would be too much braking and I'd start slowing down.  LOW would let the truck accelerate.  So to avoid using the wheel brakes and maintain speed I'd work the Jake to hold my target speed range.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#40]
My mother does but she has bad knees
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Ya, when I started with this company I was running Rocky Mountain double fuel tanks. In Wyoming we are permitted for 117k lbs, and the tractor we had for that was a nice day-cab 13spd Freightliner with a DD15 motor. That truck had a very strong engine brake, much better then our old 10spd Freightliners with the DD13 motors. Always hated running that set with a 10spd DD13 due to power and braking. Now we have Peterbilts with the Paccar motors and only pull a single trailer.  
View Quote
I spent most of my time driving Detroit 60s.  But I had one truck, a 2011 Century with the DD15 but pre DEF.  I loved driving that truck.  It had more power than anything else I'd driven and the Jake Brake on it was stronger than the Detroit 60  by miles.  Going down big grades on that truck was fun.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If I'm loaded I don't care where I'm at or what time of day it is. The jake brake is on if I'm trying to slow down or stop.
View Quote
This driver speaks the words of wisdom!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
You win for the most WTF answer...
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Cummins #1
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This driver speaks the words of wisdom!
View Quote
This.

Anybody not using a Jake Brake, is obviously not the guy paying the bills!!!!

Basically, as mentioned above, the Jake Brake opens the exhaust valve(s) at the top of the compression stroke, allowing that compressed air to escape out the exhaust pipe.
Or another way to look at it, it turns the engine into an air compressor, that is powered by the drivetrain.
On average, a Jake Brake will absorb about 75-80% of engine HP, so a truck will slow down almost as fast as it accelerates, for any given load.
It is a very efficient braking system, and should be mandatory on all big trucks, IMHO.

And all these crybaby townships with their 'no engine brakes' ordinances, can go fly a kite, because it is those same wimpy soccer moms that pull out in front of trucks, and bitch when they get 80,000 lbs of groceries up their ass, because the trucker didn't stop fast enough.

For more detailed info, just go to the Jacobs engine brake website, they have all kinds of info there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Expy... you a a smart dude, but where the he'll did you get this.... you never let air out of your tanks on purpose, except to drain moisture and the tanks at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just another WTF?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

And all these crybaby townships with their 'no engine brakes' ordinances, can go fly a kite, because it is those same wimpy soccer moms that pull out in front of trucks, and bitch when they get 80,000 lbs of groceries up their ass, because the trucker didn't stop fast enough.
View Quote
And we both know where these ordinances come from. Richard Petty wannabe's racking their dual chrome straight 8's at three in the fucking morning rattling every window for 87 miles in every direction. A blast of the air horn gets brain dead drivers attention just as well as a loud Jake and doesn't sound off when you don't need it. Actions of a few fuck it up for everybody.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:30:25 PM EDT
[#49]
There is like fourth pedal in the floor that you have to hit plus regular braking and The clutch
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There is like fourth pedal in the floor that you have to hit plus regular braking and The clutch
View Quote
You mean a switch on the dash?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top