Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2017 4:13:30 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

I have no clue how to do ms paint so i will try to describe in following posts.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would you need to think about it? Just do it
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would you need to think about it? Just do it
View Quote
Fo real!?!
If there is room the answer is obvious
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Since it looks kind of flat, however you decide to do it, be sure to dump a few truck loads of fill dirt for a backstop.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats my house just left of center towards the bottom of the photo. My property line is the tree line above that. I own 5 acres and the lot is about 500' x 500'. House is near dead center of lot. The neighbor above me is about 300 yards from my property line. There is a hill between us and i need to walk about halfway to his place before i can see it. Would you be comfortable shooting in that general direction with .223? I plan on a small backstop.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#5]
The small clearing directly inline between the two houses is where i would do it. I would be shooting from the right side of my place so poa would be to the left of his place. The hills ridge is about half way between us.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I would build a baffle or 2 to prevent ricochets from going too far
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I was thinking about a wall built from tires filled with dirt. I have a compact tractor with a backhoe and loader. Maybe 4-5 feet tall.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#8]
What part of WV are you in to be that flat. I have never been anyplace other than the Kanawha valley that flat.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Eastern panhandle. Near Charles town. Its not as flat as it looks in the pic. Maybe i will take a pic from the ground later on.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:45:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was thinking about a wall built from tires filled with dirt. I have a compact tractor with a backhoe and loader. Maybe 4-5 feet tall.
View Quote
I did similar deal on a budget and with no tractor. Drove two of the longer length T-post inside tires filled with packed dirt. I have a job that I drive around remote roads a lot so just used roadside tires I found dumped. Took about a year to get a good size wall height but was not in any big hurry.  My tire wall stops about everything I have to shoot except some of my .308 rounds.  I don't have any neighbors within a mile so not really an issue there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Depends who's doing the shooting...  I have a great range I built at my house with a 20' high back stop that has a half moon around the area say 100'.

It amazes me how bad new shooters can miss at 7 yards even with good instruction. Or at 50yards with rifles. Ive seen more than once, a friend or friend of a friend shooting an AR for the first time get carried away and try and go full auto hitting 5' in front of them and watching the dirt at the top of the dirt wall make dust before you can get them stopped.  

So what I'm saying, I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting towards a close neighbors house without one hell of an overkilled backstop.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
All aboard the fail train!!!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Here, use this instead:Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Right click on your picture, then click Open with... and click on Paint.
Then click on the tools at the top, to get lines, etc.
When you're done, click File, Save as... and rename it, to save the changes without altering your original.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Are those other houses around you at least 500 feet away, since that's a WV law?  I live in your same area, and this area is not as friendly towards their neighbors shooting on their own land as other areas of WV.  

Berms don't always stop bullets.  Years ago when we were allowed to shoot at the Sleep Creek range, I put in some tracers to shoot at their 200 yard berm and was surprised when one went thru my target that was set up properly at the base of the berm, and saw the tracer ricochet up over the berm and thru the trees.  I'm no longer satisfied until there is a natural HILL between houses, and I mean a couple hundred feet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Hard to tell without topo, but in addition to a backstop use any change in grade so you can shoot downhill.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Depends who's doing the shooting...  I have a great range I built at my house with a 20' high back stop that has a half moon around the area say 100'.

It amazes me how bad new shooters can miss at 7 yards even with good instruction. Or at 50yards with rifles. Ive seen more than once, a friend or friend of a friend shooting an AR for the first time get carried away and try and go full auto hitting 5' in front of them and watching the dirt at the top of the dirt wall make dust before you can get them stopped.  

So what I'm saying, I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting towards a close neighbors house without one hell of an overkilled backstop.
View Quote
OP,

Heed this advice. You can never be too secure.

Imagine your neighbor shooting in the same situation and your home was downrange. Is it 100% safe 100% of the time?

Have you watched what bullets do when you hit things at weird angles? Ricochets do random things and go random places. If a neighbor or property was hit by one of your misses/ricochets etc....it would suck and you would have to live with it (legally and financially)for the rest of your life. Don't compromise, either it's absolutely safe or it's not.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:50:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Right click on your picture, then click Open with... and click on Paint.
Then click on the tools at the top, to get lines, etc.
When you're done, click File, Save as... and rename it, to save the changes without altering your original.
View Quote
Im on an ipad
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hard to tell without topo, but in addition to a backstop use any change in grade so you can shoot downhill.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51036/range-193551.JPG
View Quote
Yes thats the clearing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What part of WV are you in to be that flat. I have never been anyplace other than the Kanawha valley that flat.
View Quote
That's what I was thinking.  500' of flat ground in WV usually has a Walmart sign in it. 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#21]
If you can't figure out ms paint I doubt you are physically or mentally capable of building a range.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you can't figure out ms paint I doubt you are physically or mentally capable of building a range.
View Quote
I have an Ipad. AFAIK there is no program like ms paint on It. Im pretty sure most computer programs are more complicated than stacking tires and shoveling dirt. Thank you for your input.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top