Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2017 9:50:05 PM EDT
I leave for work at 9am and don't return home until 6:30pm. I want a pup.

I know that's unreasonable by myself, how much would I be paying a sitter/dog walker to take him out every day?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Puppy, IMHO - YES.

Now 2 adult rescues....
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Depend's on where you live. Do people where live work for $7 or $16 an hour.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Puppy, IMHO - YES.

Now 2 adult rescues....
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#4]
If you can't devote the time to a pup, don't get one.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
But I'm willing to pay to make it right...just wondering what the standard price may be for this
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
But I'm willing to pay to make it right...just wondering what the standard price may be for this
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is a bad idea. Get a non-puppy rescue.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is a bad idea. Get a non-puppy rescue.
View Quote
Totally not opposed to a rescue, I wish everyone would adopt them. But it would be my first dog and I'd prefer a young one. Chances are most from the pound wouldn't be trained anyways?

Also add...I really want a German Shephard
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#8]
An adult dog would better suit your current working conditions.  My dog hates to be left alone although he just sulks, never damages anything ever.  What I've done is find a good doggie day care where he has lots of friends to play with and the staff eat him up with a spoon.  $20/day for it and I almost feel guilty paying so little.  He literally cried this morning because the lady wasn't taking him back to the play area fast enough.

Find a good day care first, then start looking at adult dogs, preferably rescues.  A rescued dog will love you forever as they definitely understand what you've done for them.

My reward for typing all this out is being assaulted by the nastiest dog farts on Earth.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Travel time is not work time. Geez...
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Dogs sleep 18 hours a day. Just go get a dog and enjoy
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:31:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I would have never owned a dog if being gone 9 hours was the determining factor.
Full disclosure, English Bulldogs are fairly content to sleep while owner is gone.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:32:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Be careful with the breed. A GSD pup will require a lot of attention and stimulation. I would think that may not be the best first dog.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Your smoking crack
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I leave at 8 and get home at 5:30.  I got an 8 week old Brittany in January.  He stays in his kennel while we are gone during the day.   We make the most of our time in the morning and evenings and he is doing great.

It can be tough sometimes after work cause he has so much pent up energy, but if you put in the effort to exercise him it works out pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:49:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Be careful with the breed. A GSD pup will require a lot of attention and stimulation. I would think that may not be the best first dog.
View Quote
This.  We've had two plus a mix and if they didn't have enough to do every day, they found something - and it was usually destructive.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:55:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
that's not really making it right.....
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:13:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Got our current GSD as a pup, but the MIL would come by mid day to taker her out. That being said, once you get past the first few months it does get easier. You couldn't go home for lunch or have someone stop by to let it out?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:26:04 PM EDT
[#20]
We got a GSD puppy as our first dog, it worked out alright because I could come home at lunch to let him out as well as my wife having a slightly different work schedule. However, as puppies  they definitely can't hold it all day. I feel like I cleaned up his kennel every day back then, which was very frustrating but absolutely not his fault. Now, he is coming up on 4 years old and even if something comes up where I can't make it home midday he never has any accidents. Although I don't do it to him he could absolutely manage to go to the bathroom only twice a day after each meal. I would definitely suggest getting an older dog in your situation, but a puppy can be done while working full time (if you can come home at lunch, or have someone stop by). The benefit with an older dog, even just 6 mos to 1 year old is that you could do a day care program for around $20 a day as others have said. It is great for socializing them as well, to avoid aggression issues.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:40:16 PM EDT
[#21]
If it wasn't for my GF and retired parents with 10 acres and two dogs, I'd have a hard time having the dog I have. I work 10-12 hour days. When my gf and I had opposite shifts it was easy. If we were to get a puppy now it would be tough, but not impossible. 

A doggie daycare is going to be $15 to 30 a day. 
Find a trusting person to dog walk.  
I have a good friend with a dog too and if my dog is at home while I'm gone and he's going to the dog park, he'll just swing by and grab mine and vise/versa. 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:42:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm gone for 14 hours a day lots of times so I decided against a dog at this time
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:12:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Puppys need time with you the Alpha, a dog walker coming over once or twice a day is not going to do it.

Skip the puppy for sure, maybe a two dog rescue as mentioned in the first post, and dog daycare.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:40:36 AM EDT
[#24]
So I guess not everyone takes their dog to work with them everyday?  One of the few perks of owning the place I guess.  

He's makes everyone happy at work, I get yelled at if I leave him home.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:44:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
They don't sleep for 18 hours straight.  That's animal abuse to keep them in the house like that if they're trained - in any way - to understand that going to the bathroom in the house isn't wanted by the owner.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#26]
For someone who knows dogs, raised them, actually effectively trained them, yes you can get a pup and do 9 hours of work a week.

For someone who hasn't done much with dogs, I'd advise you to steer clear of a pup AND do what you mention, which is get a dogwalker to spell the dog about halfway through the day.

I suspect that many people don't want to adopt an adult dog because they think they are getting other people's problems and think of a pup as a clean slate.

NO.

A pup soaks up info week 4-8, so by the time you get it, it's already got a lot of 'programming'.  However, pups are great at forgetting and unlearning and picking up the wrong thing.  A novice owner with a pup is likely to end up with a screwed up adult.  And between two adult dogs that are screwed up, it's easier to unscrew a dog that walks into a new environment with a new owner than it is to deal with a dog heavily entrenched in a relationship and location already.

In other words, get an adult. Get a dog walker.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I leave for work at 9am and don't return home until 6:30pm. I want a pup.

I know that's unreasonable by myself, how much would I be paying a sitter/dog walker to take him out every day?
View Quote

Where are you OP?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#28]
If you really want a puppy, be prepared to take about 4 weeks off when it first comes home to establish training, house breaking, etc. The second couple weeks could be half days to transition the pup to you being away. After that, a dog walker would be perfect.

I would go with a lower energy breed than a German Shepherd, especially if you want a puppy. Really analyze your lifestyle to determine what would be appropriate for you, rather than just picking a breed you think you like. Consider also that dogs, even purebred dogs, are individuals and will correspond in varying degrees to the breed standard. Research breeds, but realize you're buying an individual. And please, please, don't think you'll get a dog and change your life to suit its needs. You won't, and both you and the dog will get frustrated. Get a dog that fits the lifestyle you have now.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
My wife and I just got a GSD as out first dog.  Got him at 8 weeks old.  He's now 3.5 months and it's going great.

Just great... No problems at all.  Just great....

Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I got a puppy while working 8.5 hour days. I was lucky to have roommates where one was always home to let him out while I was at work and I worked 2 minutes from my house so I would come home on my lunch breaks. Worked out fine. It was a little tough at first but he adjusted and now he loves hanging out outside while I'm at work. Still a super obedient dog who loves to give tons of love when I get home.

ETA my boy is a border collie who was a little stubborn at first but now loves training time. I take him on a mike walk in the morning and then do training and playing with his frisbee for about an hour and he doesn't chew Anything up
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Rescue a 2-4yo dog that is already potty trained, crate trained, and proven to have the energy level you desire. You don't really have the time for a pup, although that never stops a lot of people. Pups may be cute but frankly they are exhausting and you don't gain any loyalty whatsoever by raising them from pup--quite the opposite, rescues have had it worse and never seem to take their new home for granted.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#32]
No, if you can get an adult dog and have a way for them to come and go while you are at work, perhaps.
Bored dogs become destructive, if penned in they can become neurotic.
My sisters dog was always fine being left alone when she was at work, until a thunderstorm rolled through and she freaked out, doing a couple of thousand dollars worth of damage trying to get out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Life isn't perfect OP, not everyone gets to work from home and make six figures.

I'm going down the same path you are and have found that with a trusted walker on Rover (and walks in the morning/evening) a young adult rescue will be the best choice
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Doggy day care here costs $29 a day. Drop him off a 6:30am pick up by 6:00 pm.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Do you have a fenced yard? Get a dog door?

I got a 6 week old toy Aussie and take him to work and everywhere with me. He's 10 months now and awesome!
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Op, have you considered getting a cat? Cats are assholes, they won't care if you're gone all the time (just make sure food and water bowls are full).
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 5:40:08 PM EDT
[#37]
+1 Cat
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#38]
I doubt I'd ever do a puppy again.

I have a 3 year old from a rescue and he's so awesome...his previous owner had accident and head injury.  Very nice people and we are friends with them on FB, so they can still see pictures of Riley.

I couldn't imagine being able to raise a puppy with their many needs as my wife and I both work.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Op, have you considered getting a cat? Cats are assholes, they won't care if you're gone all the time (just make sure food and water bowls are full).
View Quote
Or a snake - except they're not assholes and they only eat and shit once a week at most.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Dogs are a two person commitment, a German Shepherd is not meant to be left alone like that.  Just wait a little while till you can commit.  You also need a big fenced in yard.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Or a snake - except they're not assholes and they only eat and shit once a week at most.
View Quote
Or a box turtle. I've had mine for almost 25 years and she doesn't give a shit that I'm gone 12 hours a day.

Or get a hamster. Don't get a puppy -- that would be cruel.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:50:00 PM EDT
[#42]
My quote from the other thread on this.

I had the same dilemma.

Then I got a job where I worked from home. Used that time to raise puppy.

With that much time away, it would not be good for the dog.

You could also find a sammich maker. Bonus to that is you get sammiches and someone to help raise dag.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I love how everyone here says that having a dog and working full time is cruel and unusual punishment, yet in the real world I know plenty of people with full time jobs and dogs that are left at home all day.  

Most normal people have normal dogs that are content to sleep when people aren't home, and sometimes even when people are home.  Sure, many dogs are naturally curious and somewhat destructive when left alone, but most people seem to get around that by limiting their access to a certain part of the house and redirecting the chewing/destructiveness to appropriate toys and interacting with the dog when they are home.  Young dogs do present a more challenging scenario in terms of their "bathroom habits" but as others have mentioned, this is workable in some way or another.

Of course everyone here has the most aggressive German shepherd that they bought for $15,000 that is a direct descendant of Blondi that they have trained to obey commands in German and to hate everyone and everything... because absolutely everything in their life has to be about personal protection from the boogeymen that are surely out to get them.  You'll probably notice the stark contrast of arf GD compared to most of the general public that have dogs for companionship.

I also find it hilarious that people are chiding the OP for wanting to get a puppy because he will surely raise it improperly by going to work while the dog is young.  Yes, he should go find an adult dog - there is a 110% chance that any adult dog was raised by a superhuman that surely didn't screw the dog up by going to work while the dog was young.  Guaranteed.  

Snide comments aside, my point is that this place has a fairly tilted view of dogs compared to most normal people.  Wade through the bullshit at your own risk.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:21:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Totally not opposed to a rescue, I wish everyone would adopt them. But it would be my first dog and I'd prefer a young one. Chances are most from the pound wouldn't be trained anyways?

Also add...I really want a German Shephard
View Quote
Justification/Rationalization I see in the red
Just admit you want a Pup cause you are not Fooling anyone here
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't think you're in a good position to get a puppy.

I'd get something at least 6 months old if I were in your shoes.   And don't get hung up on breed.

How big is your yard?   Is it fenced?   If so, add a radio shock collar wire and train the dog on it. Which is about as easy as putting the collar on them, then walking near the wire with them on a leash until they hear the beep and get zapped.   They'll quickly associate the beep from the collar with being too close to the fence.  I don't think either of mine took more than 2 zaps to figure the system out.

For potty training... it's pretty easy with a semi-grown dog.   Neither of mine took "training" in any real sense.   I just kept them as outside dogs until they were old enough to have some bladder control, then brought them inside for short periods of time and watched them like a hawk while they were inside.   Never had a problem.    Dogs don't pee or poop where they sleep if they can help it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top